The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion - Armor dye

Altheina
Altheina
✭✭✭
I believe armor dye would be a welcome addition to TESO and hope that Zenimax would consider this feature added. The dye feature could be implemented within alchemy profession to bump it up a little bit as of right now alchemy isn't that useful.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks
Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. :)

Probably one of those quality of life things they'll look into when they get issues under control. Like re-customization.

Experience suggests to me that the way the designed armor/clothing won't allow dynamically dying portions of attire, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. More likely though, they'll have to re-color the textures by hand and you'd effectively be "dying" the full clothing piece to replace it with a new texture entirely. That's a lot of work for them though.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 6:46PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
    Options
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree, I would like to see this as well.

Would be a good fit with alchemy.
    Options
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Armor dye, and wardrobes please, a la Rift!
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »

Probably one of those quality of life things they'll look into when they get issues under control. Like re-customization.

Experience suggests to me that the way the designed armor/clothing won't allow dynamically dying portions of attire, but I would be happy to be proven wrong. More likely though, they'll have to re-color the textures by hand and you'd effectively be "dying" the full clothing piece to replace it with a new texture entirely. That's a lot of work for them though.

Actually, this is what I have in mind as well and something that I'm pretty afraid that it's true as if that's the case, armor dye would be pretty much impossible to be implemented due to the fact that the devs have to remake the entire armor to suit the dye feature.

However, like you said, hope we are both proven wrong :)
    Options
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree.

Extra customisation is always welcome.
    Options
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this. Do you know how distracting it is to try and RP a Khajit Nightblade, a stalker of the shadows and bane of the unwary, but your armor is creamsicle orange?
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this. Do you know how distracting it is to try and RP a Khajit Nightblade, a stalker of the shadows and bane of the unwary, but your armor is creamsicle orange?

Yup, my sentiment exactly. The current armor doesn't let us control the color that we want reflected on the armor that we crafted, which is kinda sad. The absence of preview feature makes it worse as such that we can't even tell how the armor design and color gonna be...

Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    I would love this...

I know I should not compare it to other games but I really liked Rift's dye crafting system or even in GW2 where you could find rare ones off of mobs.

Hope they add it at some point.
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
    Options
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this is already in the works... probably for the cash shop.
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Knovah wrote: »
    I would love this...

I know I should not compare it to other games but I really liked Rift's dye crafting system or even in GW2 where you could find rare ones off of mobs.

Oh yes, but I must comment on Rift dye as some dye colors are barely visible(from what I remember). GW2 dye system would be better imho.

@WhiteQueen would be dream come true if it's in the works :)
    Edited by Altheina on April 21, 2014 7:08PM
    Options
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteQueen wrote: »

I always find it funny when people assume they have a cash shop in the works. It's like the passive-aggressive way of doomsaying a game after it just came out. lol :D

Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    Knovah wrote: »
    I would love this...

Oh yes, but I must comment on Rift dye as some dye colors are barely visible(from what I remember). GW2 dye system would be better imho.

@WhiteQueen would be dream come true if it's in the works :)

Gw2's dye system and rifts wardrobe system. I loved rifts wardrobe options. Rifts crafting the dyes were great but depending on type of armor you dyed would vary on the color actually showing up correctly. 100 percent agree with you...

Okok back to ESO yes please dye 

@WhiteQeen I hope you are right would great.

Options
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer they focus on new playable races, Racial motifs, and other crafting materials based on the existing setup; so that we can have more styles that way.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
    Options
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I would prefer they focus on new playable races, Racial motifs, and other crafting materials based on the existing setup; so that we can have more styles that way.

I can understand this perspective in a way.

What races would you have in mind though? Traditionally only certain races are playable without mods in TES games. It would be weird to have Daedra players and such - these are best left as monsters in a multiplayer game.

TES lore does constrict them more than a freeform MMO would. Other MMOs could add demons and panda-people without breaking their lore, but ZOS is entrenched in 2 decades of TES lore to respect.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 7:24PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭

I am not aware of other races that can be made playable within The Elder Scrolls (I maybe wrong though). Adding more armor and weapon styles would always be welcome though :)
    Options
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    I've already made a good case for this in another thread..

It went something like this... O9hkgLV.jpg
    Options
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I always find it funny when people assume they have a cash shop in the works. It's like the passive-aggressive way of doomsaying a game after it just came out. lol :D

They stated before the game was released there would be a cash shop, in fact it already sort of exists because you can pay real money for a horse. Just a matter of time before more items are added.
    Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    I've already made a good case for this in another thread..

It went something like this... O9hkgLV.jpg

Can not argue with that...case closed we need it
    Options
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They stated before the game was released there would be a cash shop, in fact it already sort of exists because you can pay real money for a horse. Just a matter of time before more items are added.

Indeed.

And at risk of digressing the thread a bit, cash shops aren't inherently evil. If they only encompass meta services, like adding character slots, they're fine.

They only become an issue when things like potions, or even "fluff" get added. When "fluff" like armor appearances start getting added to a cash shop, it slowly turns into a situation where almost all new appearances go straight to the shop.

If ESO doesn't follow the footsteps of Everquest 2 I'll be content. EQ2 has a monthly sub, game purchase, expansions purchases -- all of which is fine -- but they added a cash shop on top of it all, where almost all new appearances and mounts go straight to. Nowadays, if you want something nice looking on EQ2, you likely have to cough up $20-$40 for a cash shop purchase, on top of all the other game fees.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
    Options
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What races would you have in mind though? Traditionally only certain races are playable without mods in TES games. It would be weird to have Daedra players and such - these are best left as monsters in a multiplayer game.

TES lore does constrict them more than a freeform MMO would. Other MMOs could add demons and panda-people without breaking their lore, but ZOS is entrenched in 2 decades of TES lore to respect.

Not going to give away any spoilers, but there have already been races introduced in ESO that were previously thought to be extinct. Also, vulmane from one of the other continents could easily be made available.

As far as dye goes, I'm not against it altogether, but I don't want to see the bright fanciful colors of a GW2, and don't think they fit well within ESO's art style or dark lore. You also have to consider how it would impact the current crafting system. Right now, aesthetics are a core result of upgrading your gear, and color is part of that. Doesn't a dye system make that obsolete?
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
    Options
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to give away any spoilers, but there have already been races introduced in ESO that were previously thought to be extinct.

That's true I suppose. Going back to such an undocumented time does offer some freedom.

In the end we'll just have to wait and see. :)

[beta_group_85b_9]
    Options
  • esomackenzie
    esomackenzie
    Soul Shriven

from what i understand they would need to add another texture map to allow armor dyes to work like the op suggests so assuming the method is the same one they would go about doing that might take a while to have support for every armor piece in the game
    Character name:Ask for it
    Server:NorthAmerica
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭

Indeed.

And at risk of digressing the thread a bit, cash shops aren't inherently evil. If they only encompass meta services, like adding character slots, they're fine.

They only become an issue when things like potions, or even "fluff" get added. When "fluff" like armor appearances start getting added to a cash shop, it slowly turns into a situation where almost all new appearances go straight to the shop.

If ESO doesn't follow the footsteps of Everquest 2 I'll be content. EQ2 has a monthly sub, game purchase, expansions purchases -- all of which is fine -- but they added a cash shop on top of it all, where almost all new appearances and mounts go straight to. Nowadays, if you want something nice looking on EQ2, you likely have to cough up $20-$40 for a cash shop purchase, on top of all the other game fees.

Absolutely agree here. I am ok with Zenimax implement certain cash shops services like Character appearance change, gender change(debatable I think) but certainly a big no no to dye being introduced as cash shop items :(
    Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You havent visited the Store page on the site have you? Theres a cash shop. It doesnt have more then a Horse and the Imperial Edition Upgrade. But more is surely to come.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • Turrican
    Turrican
    ✭✭
    ZOS are already experimenting with this and so it should be coming soon (fingers crossed)
    Options
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

from what i understand they would need to add another texture map to allow armor dyes to work like the op suggests so assuming the method is the same one they would go about doing that might take a while to have support for every armor piece in the game

Well, right now each piece of armor is a mesh with a single overlaying texture -- excluding layers for specular and etc that they probably use, we don't care about those for purposes of this discussion. A "body replacer" approach in the style of older MMOs. Good for optimization and getting design done faster, not so good for customizing colors later.

In theory, they could segment the textures into separate parts (re: straps, metal, etc), desaturate the segments, and allow recoloring of each segment. In some cases this wouldn't be pretty though, and it would mean a lot of manual labor. I've seen games take this sort of approach before.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and they already have some ingenious method in mind to implement dyeing later. One can hope.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 7:58PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
    Options
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, why would people assume they have a cash shop in the works ... it's not like Zenimax announced it last August or anything.
    Edited by rawne1980b16_ESO on April 21, 2014 7:55PM
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Turrican wrote: »
    ZOS are already experimenting with this and so it should be coming soon (fingers crossed)

Is there official link for this?
    Options
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, why would people assume they have a cash shop in the works ... it's not like Zenimax announced it last August or anything.

When I think cash shop, I think microtransactions. I could care less if they put in name changes and stuff you can buy off the web site. The VP of PR and marketing stated in response to the August press release about the cash shop; that they wouldn't have micro-transactions.

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2013/08/23/elder-scrolls-online-will-have-microstransactions/
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭

When I think cash shop, I think microtransactions. I could care less if they put in name changes and stuff you can buy off the web site. The VP of PR and marketing stated in response to the August press release about the cash shop; that they wouldn't have micro-transactions.

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2013/08/23/elder-scrolls-online-will-have-microstransactions/

Hmm.. what defines 'part of the core game'? I would assume anything that are already in the game are considered as part of core game? So in this sense, Zenimax could implement armor dye as part of cash shop items, which is bad...
    Options