Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Known Issue: Unable to Zoom into Character's Face during Creation

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hi everyone!

We understand that some of you are having issues zooming into your character's face during character creation. The team is aware, and are working on a fix. As a temporary workaround, you can create a throwaway character, then create a second character where you should be able to zoom into his/her face.

Just remember not to redeem any of your Imperial Edition or Explorer's Pack items with your throwaway character!
Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on March 31, 2014 11:42AM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ArcAngelRyse
    it won't even allow most of us to log-in i've been trying to log-in since 9:50 and my game keeps crashing during character creation.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou Gina, your suggestion worked well. Plus, no one looks closely at an Orc anyway.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• elfodemente
    elfodemente
    Soul Shriven
    Hi guys! I wanted to create a discussion with the same issue, I have the same problem i can't zoom the character's face during creation in European server, greetings!
  • Kvass
    Kvass
    Soul Shriven
    Can't zoom either.. and I don't really want to make a throwaway character, uhg. And I'm almost too impatient to wait for the problem to be fixed.
    Kvass Dorn'ke
    Ebonheart Pact (EU)
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kvass wrote: »
    Can't zoom either.. and I don't really want to make a throwaway character, uhg. And I'm almost too impatient to wait for the problem to be fixed.

You can delete it later
  • raykai12000b16_ESO
    raykai12000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    having the same prob too :(
    [Guild]:
    <The Dredge [DDGE]> Daggerfall Covenant | International | PvX | Adult Community | TS3+Mic required |http://ddge.zapto.org
    [Addon Author] :
    My addon : Reloadui Extra Slash Commands
  • mister_mercuryeb17_ESO
    How long is this fix supposingly gonna take? I find it a very dissapointing start and more crucial than other ingame bugs.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How long is this fix supposingly gonna take? I find it a very dissapointing start and more crucial than other ingame bugs.

Do the workaround and move on. It won't be any time soon. Did you read how to "fix"?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This will be fixed in a future patch - we suggest you use the workaround until then.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Kvass
    Kvass
    Soul Shriven
    Dominoid wrote: »

You can delete it later

Yes I understood that, but that doesn't change anything. I just want one single character to bond with at the start of the game. If you catch my drift.

(Took a look at the other discussions on this topic, I might've misunderstood.)

Edited by Kvass on March 30, 2014 12:37PM
    Kvass Dorn'ke
    Ebonheart Pact (EU)
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    Creating the throwaway and logging in "fixed" the issue- or it was at least a functional workaround. After logging out of that throwaway, face zoom became available again on a new character.
  • Airynymph
    Airynymph
    ✭✭
    I also have the same problem with zooming and will be waiting until the broblem is fixed.

The problem with logging in haven't occured.
  • mister_mercuryeb17_ESO

Do the workaround and move on. It won't be any time soon. Did you read how to "fix"?

No, i didn't even know there is a way - would you be so kind and tell me?

• psy456b14_ESO
    Too bad I didn't see this because it wouldn't let me sign in for the longest time. Redeemed items on what I didn't realize would be my throw away character, until I realized I'd somehow selected the wrong faction. Ticket in and fingers crossed.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, i didn't even know there is a way - would you be so kind and tell me?

Please read the post you are commenting on. AKA, create a throw away character, just give a dummy name and create. Log out that character and then create the character you want. Zooming will work correctly. You can delete the throw away afterwards.

• Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can delete it later

Yes I understood that, but that doesn't change anything. I just want one single character to bond with at the start of the game. If you catch my drift.

(Took a look at the other discussions on this topic, I might've misunderstood.)

No bonding necessary, give name, click create, log out and done.
  • mister_mercuryeb17_ESO
    Ah THAT's the point! Ok, so this was just a misunderstanding, I thought suggestion is that one creates the character without zooming (as a dummy) and sticks to that until the patch is done. Thanks a lot! I'll try the workaround.
  • Kvass
    Kvass
    Soul Shriven
    Ah THAT's the point! Ok, so this was just a misunderstanding, I thought suggestion is that one creates the character without zooming (as a dummy) and sticks to that until the patch is done. Thanks a lot! I'll try the workaround.

Yeah that's what I thought too! It's working now, making a "dummy" worked.
    Kvass Dorn'ke
    Ebonheart Pact (EU)
  • Mystik
    Mystik
    Had the same exact problem!!
  • davidb14_ESO11
    Most people aren't going to search the forums, they really need to put a system message or there'll be a lot of unhappy first impressions
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry! Who alpha tested this???
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This will be fixed in a future patch - we suggest you use the workaround until then.

like today or in 3 or 4 years?
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • calencor
    calencor
    oh god thanks for the temporary fix. Such a waste having an extensive character creation model but then again wont zoom ><
  • SMW1980b14a_ESO
    SMW1980b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Too late, unfortunately I believe this bug will cost your GMs a truckload of tickets about replacing the missing items.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

like today or in 3 or 4 years?

Does it matter? Create a dummy character, log out, make your "real" character and move on.
    Edited by Dominoid on March 30, 2014 2:24PM
  • malevolentmuse

My wife created a character with the same issue, but I can zoom now so it definitely works. Hopefully they'll fix the bug soon, though. That said, if the worst thing I run into in day one is a bug with a workaround it will be the least stressful opening day I've ever played.
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on April 8, 2014 6:35AM
  • Spruso
    Spruso
    Soul Shriven
    Are you seriously that lazy? ANd to all of you complaining, ever game has bugs that were missed the first day. If you think otherwise you're an idiot. My wife created a character with the same issue, but I can zoom now so it definitely works. Hopefully they'll fix the bug soon, though. That said, if the worst thing I run into in day one is a bug with a workaround it will be the least stressful opening day I've ever played.

That's maybe true, but this bug was not in any of the beta patches and it is literally in the first screen you see, not somewhere along the long road to level 50. So it should not have been too difficult to spot it before early access, especially as the "live"patch 1.0 itself was released like 5 days ago.

I completely understand (and even expect) that there will be bugs, but I never encountered a bug in the first screen I see in a game, especially when the CC is one of the features ZMO was / is so proud of.

Nevertheless, thanks for the information about the workaround GinaBruno, but it would be nice if you would put that info in the launcher so other people not visiting the forums also get the information before making a bad impression right from the start.

Edited by Spruso on March 30, 2014 2:46PM
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    This is a huge issue because not everyone is coming to the forums to see this and they are deleting their characters along with all their pre-order items. @Malevolentmuse Laziness isn't the issue....
    Edited by Maestro_Sartori on March 30, 2014 3:19PM
  • aseperateb14_ESO
    Thank you SO MUCH for this tip. Really helpful!
  • christopher_ESO
    I did it... it worked... and then of course I get the message from the game "Make sure you transfer your bonuses to an account bank before deleting"

So... this ISN'T just a 30 second fix... This doesn't explain how to get my bonuses... I have to take my throwaway character to a bank? At level what? This doesn't seem as simple as it first did.
This discussion has been closed.