Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773
We will be performing maintenance on the PTS on Wednesday at 3:00AM EDT (7:00 UTC).

PTS Patch 1.6.1 and EU Character Copy

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that we will be publishing patch 1.6.1 tomorrow (Tuesday). Maintenance will begin at 10:00AM EST, and will likely last a few hours; we'll keep you up to date on the status.

During this time, we will also be performing a character copy for the European megaserver. This means that characters from the European megaserver will be copied, and players from the North American megaserver will need to use templates for the time being. Don't worry, we'll be addressing some issues with the templates tomorrow as well (including being able to morph abilities).

As always, we'll post the patch notes for you to read sometime during the maintenance. Thanks for all your feedback so far!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean my Templated character now on the PTS goes away and I will have to recreate them after this patch?
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
    Options
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, if it isn't too hard, allows us to get other raid / dungeon sets of armor. Those of us that Theorycraft are very interested in running additional tests. Maybe make all vr12 - vr 14 gear (not crafted) avaliable on a vendor for 1 gold per piece?
    Options
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's going to be interesting. I have a character on the EU server with the same name as a character on the NA server who's already on the PTS... I wonder if that'll cause a database error of some kind?

Edit: Hang on a minute, what's going to happen to our Guilds? I know for a fact that there's a Guild on the European server with the same name as my Guild on the North American server, since we're from the same site.
    Edited by baratron on February 3, 2015 6:24AM
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Options
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    Well, that's going to be interesting. I have a character on the EU server with the same name as a character on the NA server who's already on the PTS... I wonder if that'll cause a database error of some kind?

as they said, they are deleting NA from PTS ( we will need to use templates) and then loading EU...
    Options
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    baratron wrote: »

Edit: Hang on a minute, what's going to happen to our Guilds? I know for a fact that there's a Guild on the European server with the same name as my Guild on the North American server, since we're from the same site.

Since they'll wipe everything before the copy, it won't be an issue.
    Options
  • Fizzonance
    Fizzonance
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Finally, can't wait! bn8kw1kbj16p.gif
    ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ Fizzonance ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    Spellunker - Dunmeri Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact - [EU]
    Aska Mahdavi - Khajiiti Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion - [EU]
    https://twitter.com/fizzonance
    http://mesmerizingtamriel.blogspot.com/
    http://fizzonance.tumblr.com/
    Options
  • Marta
    Marta
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really that hard to copy both servers with databases? possibly with a name prefix NA or EU?
    Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur
    Options
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for the info. Will our template toon be biomassed during this or will they still be around after?
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
    Options
  • frank.bindb16_ESO
    frank.bindb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    A prefix won't be useful without changing the field length.

example:

Characters Tim and Tom will be NAm and NAm after "prefixing".

suffix would be the same problem too, if 2 chars has the same name only with a difference in the last 2 letters.
    Edited by frank.bindb16_ESO on February 3, 2015 10:33AM
    Options
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭

example:

suffix would be the same problem too, if 2 chars has the same name only with a difference in the last 2 letters.

you are wrong, databases based on ID number.

and if two chars has the same name, then it could be placed on the last 4 letters but it's not affected

ZOS must migrate those two Servers on database level

Tom:
    [NA]
    ID = 100010152
    String before = "Tom123456"
    String later = "Tom12(NA)"

Tim:
    [NA]
    ID = 100010153
    String before = "Tim123456"
    String later = "Tim12(NA)"

Tom:
    [EU]
    ID = 200010152
    String before = "Tom123456"
    String later = "Tom12(EU)"

Tim:
    [EU]
    ID = 200010153
    String before = "Tim123456"
    String later = "Tim12(EU)"

Edited by Shadow-Fighter on February 3, 2015 11:39AM
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
    Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

example:

I'm sure he meant NA_Tim and NA_Tom, or something like that, but yes.. if they set the database field length for name to the same number of chars they allow us to use.. well.
    Options
  • Marta
    Marta
    ✭✭✭
    pppontus wrote: »

example:

I'm sure he meant NA_Tim and NA_Tom, or something like that, but yes.. if they set the database field length for name to the same number of chars they allow us to use.. well.

yes:
    "@‌Tim_EU"
    "@‌Tim_NA"
    "Tim_EU"
    "Tim_NA."

but I can really go wrong with my opinion that it would be so easy.
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think they'd be able to effectively merge the databases for PTS purposes.

Simply put, if you have a character on your Megaserver only, it should get copied over. If you have one on both, then the most recent copy takes precedence.

This would allow NA and EU to have their own characters available always, in addition to the templates (via DELETE).

Rollbacks are one thing - I get that it's the PTS, but fully wiping characters when there is nothing to overwrite seems unnecessary and impedes testing further.

I understand from a database perspective, it's easy to move the whole thing than to merge, but it seems counterproductive from a testing standpoint for those that exist solely on one megaserver or the others.

This way EU wouldn't have to wait, neither would NA. Period copies from live could update accordingly then.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think they'd be able to effectively merge the databases for PTS purposes.

Simply put, if you have a character on your Megaserver only, it should get copied over. If you have one on both, then the most recent copy takes precedence.

This would allow NA and EU to have their own characters available always, in addition to the templates (via DELETE).

Rollbacks are one thing - I get that it's the PTS, but fully wiping characters when there is nothing to overwrite seems unnecessary and impedes testing further.

I understand from a database perspective, it's easy to move the whole thing than to merge, but it seems counterproductive from a testing standpoint for those that exist solely on one megaserver or the others.

This way EU wouldn't have to wait, neither would NA. Period copies from live could update accordingly then.

The problem is as said that merging databases at this level of complexity is far from easy, you have to consider that in both these copies will be characters, guilds, etc. sharing the same name as well as the guilds having the same vendor hired, and lots of other weird small things that seem insignificant .. but really aren't, from a technical perspective.

I'd rather they provide proper templates, with crafting materials, traits researched and such as well.
    Options
  • Marta
    Marta
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they provide proper templates, with crafting materials, traits researched and such as well.

yes, that would be a) implemented very easily b) everyone would be happy. why should there be restrictions in a test phase at all? that's not effective!
    Edited by Marta on February 3, 2015 12:32PM
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »
    Please, if it isn't too hard, allows us to get other raid / dungeon sets of armor. Those of us that Theorycraft are very interested in running additional tests. Maybe make all vr12 - vr 14 gear (not crafted) avaliable on a vendor for 1 gold per piece?

A solution to this is providing us with a box/mail that contains hundreds or thousands of ingots/bolts/hide for us to craft with. The Templates come with enough skill points to put some into crafting, and if there are not enough skill points for your taste, the templates also come with a loaded coin purse to put towards respecing.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • McDoogs
    McDoogs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow i had no idea i'd lose access to my character when EU was copied. Have fun guys! pts without a usable character is a complete waste of my time imo.
    Edited by McDoogs on February 3, 2015 1:12PM
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem is as said that merging databases at this level of complexity is far from easy, you have to consider that in both these copies will be characters, guilds, etc. sharing the same name as well as the guilds having the same vendor hired, and lots of other weird small things that seem insignificant .. but really aren't, from a technical perspective.

@pppontus‌ , agreed, there is much complexity involved and it's the subtle things that would make it difficult.

Personally, I'd be willing to (have the option to) forgo certain functionality in lieu of being able to continue to test (remove my PTS'd character's guild status, for instance.)

Obviously the side effect of this is that certain things get tested and others do not. It's a catch 22.

A check box to link to the EU/NA database on PTS adds just as many issues as it 'fixes.'

I hate that only one set gets to test their live copies at a time. Our friends across the pond shouldn't have to wait either though.

On a side note, saw your video on Praxin fight. Glad (?) to see we weren't the only ones that got obliterated by spirit spiders.

Have you had any luck with Vet Group Dungeons since? I know you've had success with some 1.6 Trial runs.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@pppontus‌ , agreed, there is much complexity involved and it's the subtle things that would make it difficult.

Personally, I'd be willing to (have the option to) forgo certain functionality in lieu of being able to continue to test (remove my PTS'd character's guild status, for instance.)

Obviously the side effect of this is that certain things get tested and others do not. It's a catch 22.

A check box to link to the EU/NA database on PTS adds just as many issues as it 'fixes.'

I hate that only one set gets to test their live copies at a time. Our friends across the pond shouldn't have to wait either though.

On a side note, saw your video on Praxin fight. Glad (?) to see we weren't the only ones that got obliterated by spirit spiders.

Have you had any luck with Vet Group Dungeons since? I know you've had success with some 1.6 Trial runs.

I'd give up a lot of those things too, however I don't know if it's feasible for them. I mean as much as I believe that they could be doing it better, they're probably stuck in some half-assed database design that makes it even harder. Like most companies. :p

Those spiders are really OP! Sadly I hhaven't really tried anything more on the PTS, had no ZOS feedback and a crap template, coupled with the amount of haters that spawn every time anyone tries to provide feedback here.. just don't want to do it at the moment. :\

Maybe once the character copies are available I'll make some more vids.
    Options
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think its the duplicate names that are an issue, its the duplicate unique identifiers, i.e. the ID number of each player on each megaserver. They probably used the same number ranges. That would be my guess (with my limited database design knowledge).
    Options
  • decado0024_ESO
    decado0024_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Any word on what they are changing/fixing in the 1.6.1 update other than EU getting their chars, would really like to know whats being adjusted.
    D'ecado V12 Nightblade
    Decado rahl v12 Dk
    Officer of TKO
    Options
  • Ethona
    Ethona
    ✭✭✭
    Why are ZOS so slow at putting up patch notes! Patch notes should be posted the day before. I know it may be strange but I hold this game studio to the same light as I hold the others and if they can publish their patch notes the day before or first thing in the morning, ZOS can as well. Its as if they're holding off long as can to avoid having to read feedback till the next day or at least some silly reason.
    Options
  • Merrak
    Merrak
    ✭✭✭
    So...thanks for removing my guild and my characters to give the EU a copy?

I guess I won't be testing this anymore. I'm sorry, but you give people a week to relearn EVERYTHING, then wipe everything? Oh, you want us to test trials? That's funny. I can't plan anything more than a day in advance without the risk of being wiped again...so thanks for showing how "dedicated" you are to a valid test environment.
    Edited by Merrak on February 3, 2015 4:32PM
    Merrak | Templar Main
    The Descendants | NA Server | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merrak wrote: »
    You're welcome (greetings from EU)!
    "We grew under a bad sun"
    Options
  • Merrak
    Merrak
    ✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »
    You're welcome (greetings from EU)!
    You shall rue this day...
    Merrak | Templar Main
    The Descendants | NA Server | Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shall rue this day...

You really need to calm down, you know :smiley: Try to meditate or something, it usually helps a lot :wink:
    "We grew under a bad sun"
    Options
  • Lorkhan
    Lorkhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trolololol
    :D
    Options
  • Sazakala
    Sazakala
    ✭✭
    Lorkhan wrote: »
    trolololol
    :D

When the comment fits the name. :smiley:
    Options
  • beautycutie87
    beautycutie87
    ✭✭✭
    I am really excited to try testing a tutorial character. I created a character on the test server to test alot of the beginning changes it will be interesting to test a v14 character to look more into the champion system and trials etc.
    Options
  • Gandogal
    Gandogal
    ✭✭
    so....wheres the patch notes?
    Options