The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Heavy Attack Resource Return Values

Circuitous
Circuitous
✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry if this information has been posted elsewhere, I figure a thread containing the info will be more useful than digging for it elsewhere.

So far I've only tested veteran-ranked characters, more numbers to come shortly. Tests were performed on a variety of characters, with varying points spent in each resource, skill levels in each weapon, and even weapon levels. Numbers were consistent across the board.

Level 50+
Dual-Wielded Weapons: 105 Stamina.
One-Handed Weapons: 118 Stamina.
Two-Handed Melee Weapons: 142 Stamina.
Bows: 177 Stamina.
Fire/Ice/Restoration Staves: 189 Magicka.
Lightning Staff: 212 Magicka.
Restoration Staff + Cycle of Life 2: 245 Magicka.

Level 4:
Dual Wield: 9 Stamina
One-Hand: 10 Stamina
Two-Hand: 12 Stamina
Bow: 15 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 16 Magicka
L Staff: 18 Magicka

Level 6:
Dual Wield: 13 Stamina
One-Hand: 15 Stamina
Two-Handed: 18 Stamina
Bow: 22 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 24 Magicka
L Staff: 27 Magicka

Level 13:
Dual Wield: 27 Stamina
One-Handed: 31 Stamina
Two-Handed: 37 Stamina
Bow: 46 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 49 Magicka
L Staff: 55 Magicka

Level 17:
Dual Wield: 36 Stamina
One-Handed: 40 Stamina
Two-Handed: 48 Stamina
Bow: 60 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 64 Magicka
L Staff: 72 Magicka

Level 18:
Dual Wield: 38 Stamina
One-Handed: 43 Stamina
Two-Handed: 51 Stamina
Bow: 64 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 69 Magicka
L Staff: 77 Magicka

Level 24:
Dual Wield: 51 Stamina
One-Handed: 57 Stamina
Two-Handed: 68 Stamina
Bow: 86 Stamina
I/F/R Staff: 91 Magicka
L Staff: 103 Magicka

Need a lot more samples before I can really work out the math behind it.
Edited by Circuitous on September 29, 2014 12:55AM
Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!
  • Aenra
    Aenra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the effort @Circuitous, nice to have some numbers to compare.
    hope more get to contribute
    Pride, honour and purity
  • niocwy
    niocwy
    ✭✭✭
    Nice numbers. Thanks a lot :)
    One question though : does a partially charged heavy attack, say, for a 2H weapon, restore as much stamina as a fully charged one ?
    Edited by niocwy on September 23, 2014 4:01AM
    Look at my profile picture. Visualize that muffin...smelling it...taking a bite...
    Are you hungry now ?
    Good.
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    niocwy wrote: »
    Nice numbers. Thanks a lot :)
    One question though : does a partially charged heavy attack, say, for a 2H weapon, restore as much stamina as a fully charged one ?

It restores none. You have to pull all the way back to get the stamina. (However, you don't have to finish the animation. Canceling at the peak of the charge still works.)
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is surprising to me.

It is a good change, but again it seems like the game just can't stop favoring magicka builds, even in this. The magicka gain of staves is just so much higher than the stamina gain for weapons, even though stamina is also used for block/dodge/cc break sprint. Seriously, what is up with that?
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is surprising to me.

It is a good change, but again it seems like the game just can't stop favoring magicka builds, even in this. The magicka gain of staves is just so much higher than the stamina gain for weapons, even though stamina is also used for block/dodge/cc break sprint. Seriously, what is up with that?

Shrug.

There's a kind of balance in it, though. Staff power attacks need to be fully charged and hit the opponent to restore resources. Other weapons can simply be released or canceled at the peak of the windup and still get the benefit.

I absolutely agree that the values seem too low, though.
    Edited by Circuitous on September 23, 2014 5:06AM
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have any data with attack speeds? I'm curious if the full wind-up times are slightly different, causing the different values. 2-hander makes sense over DW, but Bow seems too high.
    Edited by KenjiJU on September 23, 2014 5:11AM
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it stack with the stamina return enchant that returns on hit ?
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stratti wrote: »
    Does it stack with the stamina return enchant that returns on hit ?

I can't confirm the stamina enchant directly, but my magicka return enchantments worked.
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want this to get completely buried. Anybody have characters of other levels that can give their results?
  • thorspark
    thorspark
    ✭✭✭
    Great gathering of info thanks
    DK Vet 12 / NB Vampire Vet 7 / Sorcerer Vet 5 / Templar WW - Guilde Les pochtrons
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why ZOS think that bow should restore more stamina than everything else? IMO 2H should be the most stamina-returning weapon, but not bow.
    @Circuitous‌, did you know that you can edit your messages?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Why ZOS think that bow should restore more stamina than everything else? IMO 2H should be the most stamina-returning weapon, but not bow.
    @Circuitous‌, did you know that you can edit your messages?

bow has to travel to land, 2h will hit faster cos its closer
  • thorspark
    thorspark
    ✭✭✭
    inspiral1 wrote: »

Good conclusion.

Can anybody confirm that 1H/S restore stamina and magicka ? and not only on heavy attacks ? I'm curious about this

DK Vet 12 / NB Vampire Vet 7 / Sorcerer Vet 5 / Templar WW - Guilde Les pochtrons
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this resource discrepancy based on animation time or just another overall magicka buff ?
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual-Wielded Weapons 105
    One-Handed Weapons 118
    Two-Handed Melee Weapons 142
    Bows 177
    Fire/Ice/Restoration Staves 189
    Lightning Staff 212
    Restoration Staff + Cycle of Life 2 245

Level 4 4/50th
    Dual Wield 9 8.4
    One-Hand 10 9.4
    Two-Hand 12 11.4
    Bow 15 14.2
    I/F/R Staff 16 15.1
    L Staff 18 17.0

Level 6 6/50th
    Dual Wield 13 12.6
    One-Hand 15 14.2
    Two-Handed 18 17.0
    Bow 22 21.2
    I/F/R Staff 24 22.7
    L Staff 27 25.4

Level 13 13/50th
    Dual Wield 27 27.3
    One-Handed 31 30.7
    Two-Handed 37 36.9
    Bow 46 46.0
    I/F/R Staff 49 49.1
    L Staff 55 55.1

Level 24 24/50th
    Dual Wield 51 50.4
    One-Handed 57 56.6
    Two-Handed 68 68.2
    Bow 86 85.0
    I/F/R Staff 91 90.7
    L Staff 103 101.8

1st number is observed. 2nd number is level vs level 50 values
    Thank for digging by the way.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on September 23, 2014 11:00AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is part of the costs. Magicka skills costs more Magicka than Stamina Skills costs Stamina.

F.e.:

Bow - Venom Arrow - 252 Base Stamina - 148 Stamina with 41% Cost Reduction

Destru Staff - Crushing Shock - 280 Base Magicka - 221 Magicka with 21% Cost Reduction

Dual Wield - Flurry - 364 Base Stamina - 214 Stamina with 41% Cost Reduction
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inspiral1 wrote: »

True. But bows mostly used in range, and 2h only in melee. I want to tell, that if you're an archer and you let enemy close to you - it's your bad. But when you in distance, you can hit 2 or 3 times without any damage to you (exept DK wings). When you wield 2H you're always in the fight. So it's more dangerous, than bow. BTW if arrow(heavy attack) reflected, you get stamina or not? Anyone want to test it?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well-earned bump. More folks need to see this.
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If these numbers are even remotely correct, then for my Templar that seems more like a decrease in magicka return. At vr12 she was getting back at least 250 off a heavy attack last I checked... so that number above seems off to me.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    If these numbers are even remotely correct, then for my Templar that seems more like a decrease in magicka return. At vr12 she was getting back at least 250 off a heavy attack last I checked... so that number above seems off to me.

Nope, the numbers are good. Yes, if you had more than 2450 magicka pre-patch, this is indeed a nerf. Assuming you were rocking a Restro staff, of course.
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    Soulshine wrote: »

Nope, the numbers are good. Yes, if you had more than 2450 magicka pre-patch, this is indeed a nerf. Assuming you were rocking a Restro staff, of course.

Hmm. So the diminishing returns take yet another bite *sigh*
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The values just seem so out of whack. Why STILL favor magicka over stamina and ranged over melee? The game already has way more magicka builds than stamina builds and way more ranged than melee. This one makes no sense to me.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Mahogany
    Mahogany
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy that this subtle nerf to well geared/designed healers comes in the form of a tooltip that appears to promise a 30% increase on the original return value. Sigh.
  • ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly familiar with the staves, but is the reason lightning staff gives higher return because the heavy attack is sort of a stream attack instead of a single projectile, or is there something else going on there?
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not terribly familiar with the staves, but is the reason lightning staff gives higher return because the heavy attack is sort of a stream attack instead of a single projectile, or is there something else going on there?

while stamina and fire/ice staffs can skip the very last part of the animation and still get the refill - channeld heavy attacks like healing- and lightningstaffs have to be channeled through the entire duration untill the client finishes it entirely.

thus i would say the casting duration is the only defining aspect.
    Edited by Tankqull on September 23, 2014 6:10PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

while stamina and fire/ice staffs can skip the very last part of the animation and still get the refill - channeld heavy attacks like healing- and lightningstaffs have to be channeled through the entire duration untill the client finishes it entirely.

thus i would say the casting duration is the only defining aspect.

That makes sense, thanks :)
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circuitous wrote: »
    I don't want this to get completely buried. Anybody have characters of other levels that can give their results?

Quoting myself. More examples would help us get an idea of how the returned value is calculated.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circuitous wrote: »

Remind me tonight if I forget, I've got a L17 I can test on.
    I can count to potato.
    WWJLHD?
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    What addon are you using for data display and what is the basic test procedure.

Do I have to eliminate any buff-equipment variables before testing?