Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Nightblade Update

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Incoming Fixes & Improvements
We have ongoing efforts to improve the Nightblade class, and fix some of the outstanding issues. Below is an early look at some of the incoming fixes and improvements you will see in content patch 1.2.X.
  • Incapacitate will increase heavy attack damage.
  • Incapacitating Strike will now be capable of critical strikes.
  • Master Assassin will increase spell power in addition to weapon power.
  • Path of Darkness damage will be increased. The ability will also be visible to all players.
  • Refreshing Path will heal allies. The healing will also be slightly increased.
  • Refreshing Shadows will always be active, and will no longer require you to use an ability.
Also worth noting, there were three Nightblade class abilities impacted by this general combat note from the 1.1.2 patch notes: Fixed an issue where a number of abilities were not properly able to cause critical strikes.

The abilities impacted by this fix were:
  • Impale (Assassin’s Blade morph)
  • Killer's Blade (Assassin’s Blade morph)
  • Sap Essence (Drain Power morph)

Outstanding Known Issues
Patch 1.1.2 fixed many outstanding Nightblade issues, but below are some that we are either actively investigating, working on fixes for now, or have recently fixed and will push in a future patch. Please note this list does not reflect every reported Nightblade issue we are currently investigating.

General: Currently, a Nightblade’s own residual outgoing damage-over-time ticks break his or her invisibility. This is not intended, and will be fixed in a future patch.

Dark Cloak (Shadow Cloak morph): Dark Cloak is not currently removing damage-over-time (DoT) debuffs as it should be. We’re currently investigating this issue to determine which DoTs are not being removed by Dark Cloak.

Haste: Haste is not currently applying the 30% attack speed increase to ranged weapons as it should be. We are working on a fix for this issue.

Mark Target: Mark Target currently allows you to see and attack targets that are sneaking, but not ones that are invisible. We are working on a fix for this issue.

Path of Darkness: The PFX for Path of Darkness and its morphs will sometimes appear under terrain. We are currently investigating this issue.

Pressure Points: This passive ability is working as intended, but there is a bug with the character sheet not correctly displaying the critical strike rating bonus. We have a fix for this, and it will go out with a future patch.

Siphoning Attacks: This ability’s tooltip will no longer says that it restores health. It never restored health, nor was it intended to. This is a tooltip bug. We have a fix for this, and it will go out with a future patch.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copied from Another Thread:

I think I speak for many who prefer the Nightblade class when I say we appreciate the special attention and your willingness to let us in on you and the Dev Team's future plans for the class.

I think I also speak for many Nightblades when I say that these fixes should be given special priority.

Your game has four classes, each loosely based on the standard RPG archetypes; Fighter (DK), Mage (Sorc), Rogue (NB), and Healer (Temp). One of those four is broken. Not imbalanced and in need of nerfs or buffs; broken. Now, assuming there's a pretty even distribution of character populations, that's a full 25% of characters with basic functions which do not work.

That's a very different issue than characters whose abilities might be a over-/under-powered. At least those work.

Now, back to the issue of Archetypes.

One of the arguments regularly encountered by people asking for Nightblade fixes is that "Nightblades are fine, just use X build." where X build is something rather far outside the archetypal box. Yes, ESO is a game which allows us to break the mold, and that's awesome; but some of us -want- to play the archetype. Some of us want to sneak around, jumping in and out of shadows with blades flashing in the torchlight. Some of us want hide in the shrubs and pick off targets with our mad archery skills. But unfortunately, those most definitively archetypal builds are unreliable at best, and essentially invalid after about VR2.

It saddens me to know that the issues with this class are so varied and so well known that I'm not longer desired for group play. I sort of expected the variety of character builds to help negate that sort of attitude because your Class would matter less than what you've decided to do with it; but anymore, everyone knows of the Nightblade's issues and, regardless of build, few groups want to be burdened with them.

So, yeah, even though I've been patiently awaiting the lackluster fixes in build 1.1.2 and defending your Dev Team and encouraging patience among the community, the rumor that we may not see any -real- fixes until 1.2 is disappointing. Really disappointing.

Four to Six weeks between major content updates, that's your timeline. That's two to three months since release, for Nightblades, until basic functionality is granted to their class. That's like buying a car and then having the dealer tell you it'll be 90 days before you can have tires. The A/C works, the stereo works, heck, the power windows work, but you aren't going anywhere.

It's unacceptable.

This issue needs special attention and it needs to come well before 1.2.

Sincerely,

Sheds-His-Tail
    Coward
    Edited by ShedsHisTail on May 22, 2014 9:59PM
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    So we get fixed in 1.2.X, and we can expect 1.2 in 6 weeks or more, and the .X update some time after that?

So we are looking at about two more months before this stuff is fixed? Really?
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Spidermonk
    Spidermonk
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad to see that you guys are going to fix the "breaking-self-out-of-stealth-with-dots"...I hated losing my 100% crit chance to a tiny attack.

+1!
  • Kaiem
    Kaiem
    ✭✭
    Very good news, hope to see this stuff start getting rolled out ASAP.
  • Duukar
    Duukar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this should take that long. We need a special NB fix patch. This is a HUGE list of issues left without attention. Not very professional if you ask me.

• GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    It's a start, not sure it's enough to keep us NB's playing long enough to see the rest of the fixes but it's a start.
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    So back to playing alts, and letting the main sit around doing nothing but research and collecting hireling mail it is, then.

Maybe since Matt Firor allegedly plays a nightblade (so he said in the AMA), he could try leveling up past 20 and actually see firsthand just how many things are broken so it gets a bit more priority behind fixing this mess?
  • stevenpotter321b14_ESO
    I thought the complaint was leeching strikes only giving 2.4% health back instead of 4%, not siphoning strikes restoring health.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a video of a Dev playing the class post-VR5 to show us how it's supposed to be done.

Maybe the problem is we just don't understand their design vision and we're all doing it wrong.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
  • Beretic
    Beretic
    ✭✭✭
    This is unacceptable. NB are useless as of right now. your telling every single NB that they are going to be useless for the new content until you can 'figure out' what is wrong. 2months later I bet you it still will be a broken useless class... Bravo.
    Edited by Beretic on May 22, 2014 10:06PM
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beretic wrote: »
    This is unacceptable. NB are useless as of right now. your telling every single NB that they are going to be useless for the new content until you can 'figure out' what is wrong... Bravo.

Honestly, that's fine. That's just the reality of the problem. Nightblade are borked until they're fixed.

The issue here, really, is the timeline. 1.2.x is too long to wait on this. They need a special team working on this problem specifically and it needs to come faster than 1.2.x.
  • Evergreen
    Evergreen
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update but I noticed Leeching Strikes which returns less than the 4% health its supposed to was not listed. This issue has been posted around reddit, tamriel foundry and the forums here since launch so I'm hoping it will be fixed at some point.
  • Beretic
    Beretic
    ✭✭✭
    How about this; Make NB's OP. Im talking extremely OP until they figure out what is wrong. Like 100% crit chance all the time. Make the other class's cry in pvp.
  • stevenpotter321b14_ESO
    How about this; Make NB's OP. Im talking extremely OP until they figure out what is wrong. Like 100% crit chance all the time. Make the other class's cry in pvp.

Have you read these forums, it doesnt take much to make people cry in pvp
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how long is this going to take?
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • stevenpotter321b14_ESO

Soon.
  • Beretic
    Beretic
    ✭✭✭

Have you read these forums, it doesnt take much to make people cry in pvp

Ive only read the forums when it has to do with my class. And then I *** because my class is broken.
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭

Soon.™

FTFY.
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is unacceptable. NB are useless as of right now. your telling every single NB that they are going to be useless for the new content until you can 'figure out' what is wrong. 2months later I bet you it still will be a broken useless class... Bravo.

Yes we need fixes but we arent useless....... I can take any class 1v1 even if they are a higher VR rank it just requires smart play and good timing on blocks and interupts, if I open with sneak attack I always win even against DKs. We are still strong if played right. this just means after the fixes we will be that much stronger. My only worry is way become FOTM
  • nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that once a class is designated at weak it will never ever be wanted in difficult endgame content again no matter if it is fixed.

The stigma will stay with the class until the game shuts down. That is what happened to rogues in DAoC and the same is happening to non-tank NBs now.

If you want to save the class you have to make it the best of what it does among the classes so much so that you absolutely MUST have a nb with you in the endgame content, else all your efforts will be wasted.
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incoming Fixes & Improvements
    We have ongoing efforts to improve the Nightblade class, and fix some of the outstanding issues. Below is an early look at some of the incoming fixes and improvements you will see in content patch 1.2.X.
    • Incapacitate will increase heavy attack damage.
    • Incapacitating Strike will now be capable of critical strikes.
    • Master Assassin will increase spell power in addition to weapon power.
    • Path of Darkness damage will be increased. The ability will also be visible to all players.
    • Refreshing Path will heal allies. The healing will also be slightly increased.
    • Refreshing Shadows will always be active, and will no longer require you to use an ability.
    Also worth noting, there were three Nightblade class abilities impacted by this general combat note from the 1.1.2 patch notes: Fixed an issue where a number of abilities were not properly able to cause critical strikes.

The abilities impacted by this fix were:
    • Impale (Assassin’s Blade morph)
    • Killer's Blade (Assassin’s Blade morph)
    • Sap Essence (Drain Power morph)

Outstanding Known Issues
    Patch 1.1.2 fixed many outstanding Nightblade issues, but below are some that we are either actively investigating, working on fixes for now, or have recently fixed and will push in a future patch. Please note this list does not reflect every reported Nightblade issue we are currently investigating.

General: Currently, a Nightblade’s own residual outgoing damage-over-time ticks break his or her invisibility. This is not intended, and will be fixed in a future patch.

Dark Cloak (Shadow Cloak morph): Dark Cloak is not currently removing damage-over-time (DoT) debuffs as it should be. We’re currently investigating this issue to determine which DoTs are not being removed by Dark Cloak.

Haste: Haste is not currently applying the 30% attack speed increase to ranged weapons as it should be. We are working on a fix for this issue.

Mark Target: Mark Target currently allows you to see and attack targets that are sneaking, but not ones that are invisible. We are working on a fix for this issue.

Path of Darkness: The PFX for Path of Darkness and its morphs will sometimes appear under terrain. We are currently investigating this issue.

Pressure Points: This passive ability is working as intended, but there is a bug with the character sheet not correctly displaying the critical strike rating bonus. We have a fix for this, and it will go out with a future patch.

Siphoning Attacks: This ability’s tooltip will no longer says that it restores health. It never restored health, nor was it intended to. This is a tooltip bug. We have a fix for this, and it will go out with a future patch.

Regarding Master assassin...... Currently are melee class skills like Teleport Strike and Vielled Strike are based off of weapon crit. (even tho they are magika) which makes sense. But my question is are they also based off of weapon power or spell power? So are they already getting that Master Assassin bonus damage threw weapon power or will they be getting it after spell damage is added? Just trying to figure out if i am already getting my 10% sneak attack damage.

Thanks
    Jesse
  • R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    If thats all ZoS can offer to NB ill quit.

Where are the buffs to Medium armor Like granting dodge ie?
    Where are the buffs for dw?

Ffff i dont want to play in ligth armor wielding a staff !!!
  • SapperStew
    SapperStew
    ✭✭
    That's a big carrot you've dangled out there, Zenimax.

Only a month to a month and a half of calendar time, and 15 to 30 dollars of subscription fees, and we'll be all set!
  • Beretic
    Beretic
    ✭✭✭

Yes we need fixes but we arent useless....... I can take any class 1v1 even if they are a higher VR rank it just requires smart play and good timing on blocks and interupts, if I open with sneak attack I always win even against DKs. We are still strong if played right. this just means after the fixes we will be that much stronger. My only worry is way become FOTM

Have you ever been in a GvG or AvA? Do you even lift bro?
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R0M2K wrote: »

Those lines dont need buffs, they are already powerful. (DW did get a slight damage increase with this patch) Medium armor + DW does alot of damage. Use armor debuff weapon proces and comboes like surpise attack (40% armor debuff) followed by flurry and it is ALOT of damage. I can go 1v1 with anyone and usually win, even DKs
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    SapperStew wrote: »

Only a month to a month and a half of calendar time, and 15 to 30 dollars of subscription fees, and we'll be all set!

You wish! Sadly that carrot is attached to a stick that is jammed in the back of all NBs and therefore can never be grasped. :'(

Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeeYouWhy wrote: »
    SapperStew wrote: »

You wish! Sadly that carrot is attached to a stick that is jammed in the back of all NBs and therefore can never be grasped. :'(

It's like trying to lick your elbow.
    Just as impossible and makes you feel just as stupid for trying.

Edited by ShedsHisTail on May 22, 2014 10:38PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    R0M2K wrote: »

We have plans to improve those also, but this post is intended to focus specifically on the Nightblade class abilities and skill lines.
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on May 22, 2014 10:43PM
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever been in a GvG or AvA? Do you even lift bro?

Well not sure what do you even lift mean.... and i'm assuming GVG means guild vs guild. in that case no. But i AVA every night and have been doing it since DAOC.

I'm out there every night on Bloodthorn. Eigther waiting to ambush people trying to get to the keep seiges or defending keeps doing hit and runs, Once enemies are inside my keeps i pick them off on the walls, its all about hit and runs. In open field i will 1v1 anyone, i will lose ocasionally to some V10 DKs or Temps but generally i win way more than i lose and granted i am only V2. you just need to know your enemy and how to counter them. Open with a Suprise Attack sneak attack and they cant really recover, save Death Stroke for when your enemy has more life than you and its 4 second knock down is a tide turner. and using armor debuffs with Flurry Does alot more damage than people think
  • Sheneria
    Sheneria
    ✭✭✭
    Unacceptable. Everything you listed is HOTFIX Material which should have been fixed in the last 2 months and has no place in a CONTENT Patch that is 4 weeks away.
    Edited by Sheneria on May 22, 2014 10:48PM