The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stuck at Requesting Character load

smitethee89ub17_ESO
I have been stuck on Requesting Character Load since I downloaded the patch. Is anyone else having this issue? Is this their version of a que?
  • mutantwrangler_ESO
    mutantwrangler_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem, after hitting play my screen is loading due to the small circular icon on bottom right side of screen just keeps turning and does not load to char screen
  • mchllwallaceub17_ESO
    mchllwallaceub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same here so annoyed with this flipping game right now. For the amount of money I payed I should not have all these bugs
  • CommCrab
    CommCrab
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah same issue. Still no fixes? I have to keep trying so many damn times. And then there is also the whole thing where it will sometimes log you out when transitioning from one area to another.
  • AzureButterfly
    AzureButterfly
    ✭✭✭
    Are any of you getting unknown errors after a while?
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, folks. If you haven't already, please restart your computer, and try hopping into the game again. If this doesn't get you past the issue, we recommend either adding ESO as an exception to your firewall, or disabling the firewall completely. Please let us know if this works for you. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I restart my computer, will I lose my new character? Sadly, I requested character load before going to bed last night, and the game is still working on it this morning. I guess it's sort of impressive that I haven't disconnected.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this problem when I try to run with my VPN service turned on. It goes away when I disconnect it. Some networked programs just don't like VPN's, I have no idea what the problem is.

But I do know this. It isn't my computer, router, network, or anything else on that end.
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still got this same problem, even with the firewall deactivated:
    I can always log into the character selection page.
    2 out of 3 I then get stuck in "requesting character load".
    Then there is always a chance of a disconnect when loading
    new locations.
    Edited by Oliviander on April 3, 2014 10:58PM
  • jasonleitch1_ESO
    jasonleitch1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have been having a similar issue for the last 16 hours now. I am able to log in and select the character. I click play and get the "Logging In" and Requesting Character Load". As soon as the screen changes to the zone splash screen the game crashes, and I get an error report to submit. That error report has now been submitted many times. I have restarted my computer several times, and now am trying the XP SP3 compatibility mode, with the same results. The following is a copy of the error report.

====================================================================
    eso has stopped working.

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.1.0.0.962841
    branch = live
    char.account = ******
    char.alliance = 2
    char.name = Thlag Stonedrake
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = load
    client.renderertype = D3D9
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2014-04-04T00:46:33.616Z
    client.time_since_load = 1
    client.timestamp = 2014-04-04T00:47:13.232Z -frme 2787-
    client.uptime = 39.8
    computer.name = HOME
    computer.user = *****
    cpu.arch = 0
    cpu.count = 8
    cpu.level = 21
    cpu.type = 586
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = C:/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 0.win.0.live.961669
    exe.buildnum = 962841
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = <unknown>
    gfx.deviceid = 4544.812202050.161
    gfx.driver = nvd3dum.dll
    gfx.vendorid = 4318
    globby.address = 198.20.200.162
    globby.port = 24503
    loc.wloc = 140 90272 9903 93714 86.13
    loc.world = Bal Foyen
    loc.worldid = 140
    loc.zone = Bal Foyen
    login.address = 198.20.200.162
    mem.current = 1026
    mem.peak = 1101
    mem.physical = 16382
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 5.1.2600.Service Pack 3
    ptime = 0
    realm.depotid = 0
    realm.id = 4000
    realm.name = NA Megaserver
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 1
    version.patch = 0
    version.subpatch = 0

PC/NA: Pentar Stonedrake (mag sorc) - Undefined (technically my main)
    PC/NA: Pentora Stonedrake (stam sorc) - Death Huntress (NB hunter / speed build)
  • Futil
    Futil
    same here.
  • Wolfskiss
    Wolfskiss
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Folks - had the same problems as all of you. Here's what I did to resolve my issue.
    Disconnect the Firewall - Repair/Reinstall ESO - Restarted Router and Restarted Computer - Login.
    One thing I noticed - The message/notice ESO have on the login screen that indicates the URL address to sort out your subscription, after doing all the above that URL address turned blue and was not the same color as all the other text.
    Good luck hope this helps.
  • starknight1392
    starknight1392
    Soul Shriven
    I have been having a similar issue for the last 16 hours now. I am able to log in and select the character. I click play and get the "Logging In" and Requesting Character Load". As soon as the screen changes to the zone splash screen the game crashes, and I get an error report to submit. That error report has now been submitted many times. I have restarted my computer several times, and now am trying the XP SP3 compatibility mode, with the same results. The following is a copy of the error report.

eso has stopped working.

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.1.0.0.962841
    branch = live
    char.account = ******
    char.alliance = 2
    char.name = Thlag Stonedrake
    client.executablebits = 32
    client.mode = load
    client.renderertype = D3D9
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2014-04-04T00:46:33.616Z
    client.time_since_load = 1
    client.timestamp = 2014-04-04T00:47:13.232Z -frme 2787-
    client.uptime = 39.8
    computer.name = HOME
    computer.user = *****
    cpu.arch = 0
    cpu.count = 8
    cpu.level = 21
    cpu.type = 586
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = C:/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 0.win.0.live.961669
    exe.buildnum = 962841
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = <unknown>
    gfx.deviceid = 4544.812202050.161
    gfx.driver = nvd3dum.dll
    gfx.vendorid = 4318
    globby.address = 198.20.200.162
    globby.port = 24503
    loc.wloc = 140 90272 9903 93714 86.13
    loc.world = Bal Foyen
    loc.worldid = 140
    loc.zone = Bal Foyen
    login.address = 198.20.200.162
    mem.current = 1026
    mem.peak = 1101
    mem.physical = 16382
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 5.1.2600.Service Pack 3
    ptime = 0
    realm.depotid = 0
    realm.id = 4000
    realm.name = NA Megaserver
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 1
    version.patch = 0
    version.subpatch = 0

did u find anything out?

• Juoppo
    Juoppo
    Soul Shriven
    Been having the same issue since yesterday after the pre-launch maintence. So far I've tried rebooting the computer, uninstalling my antivirus completely, deactivating windows firewall, resetting my router and running the game as admin but without any success.

I really love this game but if I can't get this resolved I'll probably cancel my early access and move on to something else.

Gonna try and install the game on my other computer and see if it's a problem with my device or the account itself before I do anything though.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also tried creating another character but can't log on with that one either.
    Edited by Juoppo on April 4, 2014 7:03PM
  • Juoppo
    Juoppo
    Soul Shriven
    OK I got it to work now, the problem is with your ISP provider/Modem/Connection. I was using a mobile 4G LTE router but when I connected my computer wo my VDSL2 modem(different ISP) I could log on without any problems.

What the actual issue is I don't know but changing connections fixed the problem right away. So glad I didn't reinstall the game for nothing, hopefully this helps you guys.

Changing the settings in your modem/router might help the issue, gonna try that later and see if I get it to work trough my 4G router again.
    Edited by Juoppo on April 4, 2014 7:11PM
  • vnocicnrb19_ESO
    vnocicnrb19_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    When i try to log in, i get the message that my char is still in the game. It lasts for hours now... anyone have similar problem?
    Heisenberg Q - Khajiit Stamina Nightblade
    Jasminella - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer
    Stribor - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight
    Nox Aldmeri - Redguard Stamina Templar
    Lacrimossa - Altmer Magicka Nightblade
  • niko.juvakkaeb17_ESO
    niko.juvakkaeb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have this exact same issue. I was able to play trough the prologue on EU server but after that got an unknown error and now I'm stuck with "Requesting Character Load". I was able to play in the beta though, so what has changed. I'm using 4G/LTE router so port forwarding wont work as those functions are pretty much controlled by the ISP. Port forwarding shouldn't really be an issue these days since 4G/LTE and other mobile internet devices are getting more common. And this is the first MMO I have connection issues if this is one of those.

So yeah please fix this issue.
  • mypurplescissorsb14_ESO
    I have the same issue, but it is fairly random. Some night i'll get stuck on character load for hours, others it will never happen. I live in a dorm on campus so I cannot mess with router or connection settings. I play other MMOs and online games and never have any issues.
  • Nymea1963
    Nymea1963
    restarting the comp did in fact work but alas 10 mins later the game crashed and the problem reemerged if I wanted to restart my comp all the time id be working for the government. Love the game though and will enjoy playing it when all probs are resolved
  • Nymea1963
    Nymea1963
    When i try to log in, i get the message that my char is still in the game. It lasts for hours now... anyone have similar problem?
    I had that problem in the beta try log into another char log out and then try or wait 15 mins forcing a dc by restarting your router can also work

• cjtignub17_ESO
    cjtignub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is such BS. make the game playable pls
  • Deegii
    Deegii
    Checking firewall, restarting is useless as usual.

Stuck at character load about 3 days since I bought the game.
    But, today I used another internet connection (phone as 3G wireless hotspot) and finally was able to enter the game. So, in my situation, problem is in ISP. But bethesda should give what exactly is wrong with ISP, then I can contact with them to solve issue.
  • Tobbetop
    Tobbetop
    Soul Shriven
    Im stuck with a specific character. I can play with all other char´s but this one it just keep loading.
  • Warlordgreebo
    Warlordgreebo
    ✭✭
    Hi, folks. If you haven't already, please restart your computer, and try hopping into the game again. If this doesn't get you past the issue, we recommend either adding ESO as an exception to your firewall, or disabling the firewall completely. Please let us know if this works for you. Thanks!

DISABLE FIREWALL COMPLETELY?? RESTART MY MACHINE??

You realize that is absurd for a game to require of its customers to be able to play?

vocês putas preguiçosos!

esativar meu firewall? Você está louco? Hackers alguém?

Por que temos firewall, em primeiro lugar, em seguida, você tolos fracos?
    tal coisa é ridículo colocar o voces povo atravé

obrigado pelo esforço, mas isso é besteira
  • Oldmasters1979
    Are any of you getting unknown errors after a while?

Yes , i dp.
  • Warlordgreebo
    Warlordgreebo
    ✭✭
    I run repair EVERY TIME THIS GAME F's up and I need it to work; this is becoming an every time thing. With CRASHEs, WITH RELOGs.

I am overall positive about the game, but it is starting to wear... when the remainig quest you got in an area are BUGGED, that is very *** poor.

When you cannot even log in because of some unforeseen BS that makes you RESTART THE GAME AND TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL? SOunds like we gots some serious works to do in the 'getting it to be greebly' department'.

In 13 years of greebling MMO, Never had no one tell me to straight up turn off my firewall as a standard solution. Had many give specs on how to ALLOW the program through the firewall. Which is a different case entirely.

I guess we really should follow The Grobble's Rule of MMO; 2 years before it is mature.

But this here? I know we are BEYOND what others do, I know we are pushing the limit for pvp, i know we push the limit for depth, but.folks.... alot of stuff is just striaght up broken to the point that a group of people will be having assorted breakdowns along the way...

getting stuff done solo is hard... but getting it as a group that isnt somehow bugged? Not likely

Good greeblings
  • fade2po
    fade2po
    Soul Shriven
    Alright, patch 1.07 installed and same fun as the last patch! game gets stuck on requesting character load screen. Well looks like im going to revert to my last fix, that seemed to work perfectly.
    1) right click your game icon and hit properties, then hit 'open file location'
    2) Go up a level so that you can see both 'Launcher' and 'The Elder Scrolls Online' folders.
    3) select both, hold ctrl to select more than one.
    4) just before hitting delete, check you aren't running a vpn.
    5) turn off vpn, and try again..
    6) play game if works, if not hit delete, and then once it starts downloading go to bed.
  • Miff
    Miff
    Soul Shriven
    I have actually talked a whole lot to one of their upper level tech support reps after having the same problem. Solved by buying a fixed IP from my ISP. The game wasn't ever responsible for it, the problem was my ISP was changing my dynamic IP even within one session.
  • Viron
    Viron
    Soul Shriven
    Miff wrote: »
    I have actually talked a whole lot to one of their upper level tech support reps after having the same problem. Solved by buying a fixed IP from my ISP. The game wasn't ever responsible for it, the problem was my ISP was changing my dynamic IP even within one session.

Thank you! You really helped me!!! Fixed IP had solved the problem.
    Edited by Viron on May 7, 2014 8:25AM
  • arkkum
    arkkum
    Soul Shriven
    I ran into this issue yesterday trying to get into Wabbajack (server crash reboot?). My character was log off in Cyrodiil and was stuck on the "Requesting Character Load". I not sure why Windows Firewall/Router/ISP/Static IP/PC is being blamed.

Why can't XeniMax Online Studio and Company be truthful for once?

That there is an inherit problem or oversight with your queuing system, and when you log in directly with a character that is in Cyrodill it gets put into the queue. Since the loading screen does not give any information where you are in the queue, there is no way to know when you will get into Cyrodiil. So the wait can be seconds to 45 minutes or longer. Or if there no queue you get in right away. Then everyone would assume the problem is fix, which it is not since it is a design flaw.

So to test, that it was a queuing problem I log onto one of my alts and try to get into Wabbajack. My alt was put in a queue at 188, I was playing the alt for 45 mins and the queue drop to 98. If I wanted to play on my main it might have taken an hour or longer before I get into Cyrodiil.

The Cyrodiil loading screen bug was related to the same queuing system. There are countless report related to this.

Simple solution just have a pop up window letting the player know if you want to queue or not. If queue you get the count down (or estimated time to get in, might be asking for to much) and if not you get put at a wayshire out side of Cryodiil.
  • LDRBigCats
    LDRBigCats
    Soul Shriven
    Looks like I'm not the only one that is having trouble loading into the game from character select after multiple tries. Plus, I get booted from the game to the log in screen when I try to either go into a dungeon or a quest location that has a loading screen for a spot that has to load more of the game. Before all this, I had no trouble logging into any of my characters or moving to a new location to continue quests & gathering mats.

I have tried all possible options that I can do with no luck (has been going on for 2 months, if not 4.5 months by now). My internet connection is fine since I can continue doing everything else without trouble along with still being able to log into any other MMO's that I occasionally get on.
    We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.