Quit with forcing the bloody tribute cardgame down our throats

LordTareq
LordTareq
✭✭✭✭✭
I hate this mini game with a passion even thoigh I normally quite enjoy such card games. It's overly complicated, takes ages to finish a match, even against AI with a significant chance to actually loose and having to play multiple games. I tried 1 PvP match and my opponent took the max time every single turn, it took almost an hour to finish that 1 game!!!!! An hour!!! :s

The glyphic music box was locked behind this damned cardgame and now playing the Galen questlines there is a quest that forces you to play it too. Stop it. A lot of people really don't like this part of the game, stop forcing it upon us. It's not going to make us like it.

For a look at a card game done right have a look at the Witcher 3 mini game. It's fast, fun and quite simple to master.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 30, 2023 5:10PM
  • Groterdan
    Groterdan
    ✭✭✭
    So agree . It's a enormous waiste of time en recources there is so much stuff they should have focused on. A card game was so not on that list ..
    Options
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree.

I didn't queue for an hour to play the worst executed card game in modern history !!!
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
    Options
  • Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    I preffer MTGO or Heartstone.
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its literally one or two quests, that is hardly shoving it down your throat. This reminds me of people complaining about endeavor challenges when they are for pvp once every 6 months or so.
    Options
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    Total waste of resources and another entry in a long series of bad calls.
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    Its literally one or two quests, that is hardly shoving it down your throat. This reminds me of people complaining about endeavor challenges when they are for pvp once every 6 months or so.

They've also put gold leads in ToT, which does qualify as forcing people to play something that is more akin to a phone app than anything else.
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

They've also put gold leads in ToT, which does qualify as forcing people to play something that is more akin to a phone app than anything else.

Its actually quite in depth if you actually spend the time to learn the deck counters, and each decks strength.

Look, people always will have something they do not like in a game, but some people enjoy having them in quests. I was pleasantly surprised to have a game in a quest line, it was a breath of fresh air, instead of the constant fetch quests. I find it quite refreshing that they are branching out for leads and quests.
    Edited by Jammy420 on July 30, 2023 3:42PM
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malprave wrote: »

Just because you do not enjoy it, doesn't mean it was a waste of resources.
    Options
  • BasP
    BasP
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but then again Mythics in general are locked behind an awful grind and a boring mini-game (to some), some nice recipes are locked behind fishing which not everyone enjoys doing, most gear sets and Monster Sets are locked behind (veteran) Dungeons which not all PvP'ers enjoy and so forth. It's not the first time the game "forces" people to do something that they might not like, and it probably won't be the last.
    Edited by BasP on July 30, 2023 3:52PM
    Options
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree! 100%
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BasP wrote: »

Yes, but then again Mythics in general are locked behind a an awful grind and a boring mini-game (to some), some nice recipes are locked behind fishing which not everyone enjoys doing, most gear sets and Monster Sets are locked behind (veteran) Dungeons which not all PvP'ers enjoy and so forth. It's not the first time the game "forces" people to do something that they might not like, and it probably won't be the last.

Exactly. And as for ToT, it gets FAR more interesting once you have all the decks. The original 4 are fine, but the game really opens up, and I even had a game last an hour the other day when I used Rajinn and Almalexia.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LordTareq - if you're speaking of the Razum Dar questline, you don't have to play ToT; you can just select whatever the other option is (don't remember now) to bypass and continue on.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Giving nice rewards to all types of players doesn't mean the playerbase is forced to do all content. The music box isn't even that good.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on July 30, 2023 4:42PM
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. If you don’t, simply don’t play. It‘s not mandatory.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never played this awful looking feature in ESO and im glad because everything i hear about it sounds horrendous.
    I dont know why it was ever concidered a good idea -
    The way it was implimented and the fact you are seperated from your charicter while playing you may as well just play a different game.
    It seems so disconnected from ESO game play and character progression.
    Im just glad im not forced to do it anyway
    Options
  • RodneyRegis
    RodneyRegis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played ToT about 6 months ago, loads. for about 3 weeks. I really enjoyed it, and might well go back at some point.

Then I got bored and stopped. I haven't thought about it since, and I haven't noticed it or felt compelled to play at any point.

If I wanted a useless but pretty furnishing which meant I needed to play ToT again, I would do so. Or forgo the furnishing.

Guess that's just me.

Meanwhile I want Ansuul ring, but I don't want to find and play trials (60 times at vet for perfected gear)

And the Galen main quest made me run from one end of the zone to the other collecting stuff. I don't want to do that either. Can't I just have the achievement and the rewards without actually having to do anything?
    Options
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    @LordTareq - if you're speaking of the Razum Dar questline, you don't have to play ToT; you can just select whatever the other option is (don't remember now) to bypass and continue on.

Thank you for this. I hate the card game with a passion and have been fine ignoring it. I was super annoyed by this quest because I thought I had to play. I actually got in discord and had a friend walk me through that round to get the quest done. Now I know next time I don't have to, somehow missed the option. That was my one irritation was thinking it was blocking quest complete progress.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »

Thank you for this. I hate the card game with a passion and have been fine ignoring it. I was super annoyed by this quest because I thought I had to play. I actually got in discord and had a friend walk me through that round to get the quest done. Now I know next time I don't have to, somehow missed the option. That was my one irritation was thinking it was blocking quest complete progress.

Even if you opt to play the quest, you can concede immediately and it just gives you an alternative tasks. It's just a way to show people Tales and to add some thematic gameplay to the quest but it's totally optional.
    Options
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree! 100%

+1
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love playing Tales of Tribute; it's one of my "must-do" daily activities in the game.

The only other "collectible" card game I've ever played is TES:Legends, and I much prefer Tales of Tribute over Legends as far as overall play mechanics and design. But I'm not saying Legends is bad; I just haven't been able to grasp its rules and tactics the way I was able to do with Tales of Tribute. If it ever does "click" with me, I imagine I'll love playing it as much as I do Tales of Tribute, because it has some great-looking cards.

Personally, I'm happy to see Tales of Tribute getting a bit more attention within the game than it did during its first year-- leads for Antiquities, and coming soon a Daily Endeavor.

As far as some players not liking that there are Antiquity leads from Tales of Tribute, how about all of the Antiquity leads that come from trials, arenas, dungeons, world bosses, resource nodes, fishing, and other activities that some players simply don't enjoy engaging in? I mean, seriously, it doesn't matter what in-game activity you want to pick as an example, there will almost certainly be a number of players who absolutely can't stand it and would rather do almost anything else instead. What makes Tales of Tribute so different in that respect? (Correct answer: Nothing.)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • allenv30b14_ESO
    allenv30b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I agree!
    Options
  • netch_a_sketch
    netch_a_sketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each to their own, it's the only card game I've been able to get into and enjoy
    Options
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's galling that such significant resources were put into something that no one really wanted, nor lamented the absence of before it arrived. Even if some people who played ESO before this now enjoy the game, a huge number of people don't, and are frustrated by the number of achievements, lore book, leads, and bound items that are tied to playing this game. There are things in ToT that you can not get any other way, and can not receive assistance for nor purchase off other players. It is an achingly long grind for minimal rewards, while hoping that some rare drop might occur after 50/100+ games of patron spamming NPCs or players who take an eternity to have their go.
    Even winning competitive games is a frustrating experience, but spending 30 minutes just to lose, and get 5 denima for your efforts is insulting.

Additionally, I would be curious how many were drawn to ESO because of this card game. I can't imagine many.
    If you wanted to play a card game, there are many already on the market, with more resources focused on it.

Overall, an obnoxious aspect of ESO. At least in endgame and PvP you can team up and work WITH people, creating a positive environment. ToT it is just you against a toxic card game.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main issue is when furniture leads are tied to ToT and there's no other way to get them. But this also applies to leads that you can only get from group content, for example. Again and again you feel compelled to do things you don't want to do because you don't enjoy them or you don't get the items. And anyway, why do we now have to collect 10 leads for a music box that previously consisted of 3 leads? It's just annoying, it has nothing to do with challenge or fun anymore.

If there would be ALWAYS multiple ways to get a lead, and you can choose the path that suits your playstyle (which is supposedly the core of ESO, "play your way"), then it would be perfectly fine.
    Options
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BahometZ wrote: »
    It's galling that such significant resources were put into something that no one really wanted, nor lamented the absence of before it arrived.

Additionally, I would be curious how many were drawn to ESO because of this card game. I can't imagine many.
    If you wanted to play a card game, there are many already on the market, with more resources focused on it.

Overall, an obnoxious aspect of ESO.

High Isle was developed during the end of the COVID lockdown. That clearly impacted the content of the chapter and it's not realistic to hold it to the same set of standards as other chapters. Its fairer to see it as a "better than nothing" chapter, rather than an attempt at a AAA unit-shifter dlc.
    Options
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I give a wide berth to the lady that loudly advertises the card game everywhere i go, i tried it once because of the end of the galen questline- couldnt get out of it quick enough! Abort abort abort! 😆 definitely definitely not my thing!
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    It's galling that such significant resources were put into something that no one really wanted, nor lamented the absence of before it arrived.

Overall, an obnoxious aspect of ESO.

High Isle was developed during the end of the COVID lockdown. That clearly impacted the content of the chapter and it's not realistic to hold it to the same set of standards as other chapters. Its fairer to see it as a "better than nothing" chapter, rather than an attempt at a AAA unit-shifter dlc.

Didn't reflect that in its pricing though, which makes all the criticism very valid again.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except MOST players agree it was a waste of resources. Alot of us myself included won't even play it one time on principle.

They need to fix and update this decade old game
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Untrue. There were requests for tavern mini games way before it actually arrived.

Except MOST players agree it was a waste of resources. Alot of us myself included won't even play it one time on principle.

They need to fix and update this decade old game

Most players don't PvP either. Most players don't do a whole lot of housing either. It's okay for MMOs as big as this one to have niche activities.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 14, 2023 5:00PM
    Options