Quit with forcing the bloody tribute cardgame down our throats

• rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    BahometZ wrote: »
    It's galling that such significant resources were put into something that no one really wanted, nor lamented the absence of before it arrived.

Additionally, I would be curious how many were drawn to ESO because of this card game. I can't imagine many.
    If you wanted to play a card game, there are many already on the market, with more resources focused on it.

Overall, an obnoxious aspect of ESO.

High Isle was developed during the end of the COVID lockdown. That clearly impacted the content of the chapter and it's not realistic to hold it to the same set of standards as other chapters. Its fairer to see it as a "better than nothing" chapter, rather than an attempt at a AAA unit-shifter dlc.

Didn't reflect that in its pricing though, which makes all the criticism very valid again.

Definitely no disagreement from me on that particular point.
    Options
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get into it. I don't have a good understanding of how it works, and each hand takes a million years aka 20 minutes +/-
    Options
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didnt realize there was a section on this and just made a post complaining about the music box lead being buried behind this game.

ive been doing the dailies for a week and i would rather step barefoot in cold dog crap at 4am than play another round of this-and that is with slightly figuring out how to cheese one of the dailies.

i gave up on the music box last night after i mistakenly still had azandar out when i got stuck playing for an hour trying to beat three npc's and lost a full quarter of his rapport bar -- evidently he hates the game almost as much as i do
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Most players don't PvP either. Most players don't do a whole lot of housing either. It's okay for MMOs as big as this one to have niche activities.

True, but a niche activity shouldn't be the main feature of a new chapter. The main feature should be something that most players will do. A niche activity like a card game should have been added in a QoL update or in a 4th quarter DLC. High Isle was disappointing because unless you like playing cards in an MMO, there was very little to do, and the zone felt empty.

Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    High Isle was disappointing because unless you like playing cards in an MMO, there was very little to do, and the zone felt empty.
    Except for the main storyline, and all the people running vents? High Isle is packed.

Lethal zergling
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Isle was disappointing because unless you like playing cards in an MMO, there was very little to do, and the zone felt empty.
    Except for the main storyline, and all the people running vents? High Isle is packed.

By empty, I meant empty of interesting things to see, do, and experience. Wasn't talking about population. Every zone has a main storyline and some type of world event. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all High Isle has, unless you want to play cards.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most players don't PvP either. Most players don't do a whole lot of housing either. It's okay for MMOs as big as this one to have niche activities.

True, but a niche activity shouldn't be the main feature of a new chapter. The main feature should be something that most players will do. A niche activity like a card game should have been added in a QoL update or in a 4th quarter DLC. High Isle was disappointing because unless you like playing cards in an MMO, there was very little to do, and the zone felt empty.

Battlegrounds was a main feature too. Companions were a main feature. Yet, people are generally accepting of those having unique rewards. The problem with that year wasn't Tales. It was the nerfs, how AWA was implemented, and the lack of anything new at all in Q4 except a lack luster quest series. If Tales had come out in a better environment, I think there'd be less resentment towards it. And it would not be controversial that all content has unique rewards that are worth having.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 24, 2023 9:33AM
    Options
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely agree with this post! I hate the card game and never want to play it.
    Options
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Omg dont even get me started on the tales of torture music box lead..
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, it's not even a minigame. A match can easily take 20 minutes.... a minigame to me is like 5. I've said it once and I've said it again, but they should have gone a way simpler route. Something you could casually do while waiting for a queue with friends and not an actual whole other commitment within the game. I wish they would have released details about the card game way sooner than they did, not when it was basically complete and High Isle was about to release, so that players could have given feedback on it.... but I doubt Zenimax would have listened anyway so nevermind that thought.
    Options
  • Scyware
    Scyware
    ✭✭✭
    To this day, I haven't played a since match. I don't like card games, and seeing it have more achievements than any other section in the menu is sickening.
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scyware wrote: »
    To this day, I haven't played a since match. I don't like card games, and seeing it have more achievements than any other section in the menu is sickening.

Yeah, I'm really upset that Zenimax finally started adding more rewards like furnishings and houseguests.... and then locked them behind this abomination of a cardgame. I've been trying to keep my patience and sanity while leveling through the ranks.... but seriously, I'm rank 4 and after playing ToT for about 2 hours this morning I haven't even gone up 10%. Why. Just.... why. I usually enjoy a nice, simple cardgame to help pass the time.... but whatever the devs at Zenimax created, well, I can honestly say ToT is my most hated thing in ESO.
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they should give out some good PvP gear behind ToT accomplishments/wins.
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • Lord_Graas
    Lord_Graas
    ✭✭✭
    100% worst part of game
    Options
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    It's overly complicated, takes ages to finish a match, even against AI with a significant chance to actually loose

I feel the same about dungeons, especially the bit where you have to learn the one-shot mechanics ;)

ToT has its place. Some people just like this kind of challenge (more). I know I do.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Battlegrounds was a main feature too. Companions were a main feature. Yet, people are generally accepting of those having unique rewards. The problem with that year wasn't Tales. It was the nerfs, how AWA was implemented, and the lack of anything new at all in Q4 except a lack luster quest series. If Tales had come out in a better environment, I think there'd be less resentment towards it. And it would not be controversial that all content has unique rewards that are worth having.

EDIT: I forgot that there was an antiquity furnishing lead from BGs. IMHO, I think only items related to specific activities should be locked behind them — furnishings specific to the activity, gear for the activity (like mythics behind IC and dungeon bosses, although please make the lead drop rate high for lengthy or difficult activities). Lead having alternate sources would be another alternative.

———

Companion’s definitely don’t have unique rewards locked behind them — they are the feature and the reward, and it’s great that ZOS designed it so that companion gear doesn’t drop unless you have a companion active — thus you can completely ignore this feature if you don’t like it and not miss out on anything unrelated.

Contrast this with ToT: At first the furnishings were all ToT related and so appropriate to lock behind the game. And I don’t recall getting any ToT deck things as rewards — I assume they were from plying the game itself or you had to participate to unlock something. NOW there are antiquity leads locked behind ToT and deck collectible thingies unlock from unrelated activities and as quest rewards and I have never played a single ToT game on any of my characters.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 28, 2023 7:19PM
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is an Antiquity lead in BGs. The St. Alessia statue.

I had to look that one up because the drop rate seems to be very low. I have only got one lead so far.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any antiquity leads from Battlegrounds? I am not aware of any. I am not aware of many rewards unique to battlegrounds… a few motifs maybe? Nothing for a long time as far as I know.

Yes, there are leads in all parts of PvP. Cyrodiil, BGs, and IC. Before the antiquities system ever existed, there was also unique furnishings and style pages to be found in PvP. You can't even get an Elder Scroll, arguably the single most iconic item in the franchise (and certainly the item that ties decades of the game together), without doing PvP.

There are also leads in dungeons, trials and arenas, which is content that never everyone enjoys. Companions are an exception to the lead rule, and even then they do have a couple of unique furnishings as well as unique passive bonuses. There are people leveling Azandar right now that don't particularly enjoy him because they do want his passive.

Every form of content in this game has it's own unique rewards that are worth having. Tales not being an exception to that is fair. People are free to dislike Tales, but Tales is not being uniquely forced onto players by having leads and nice rewards. All content has nice rewards and most of it drops leads.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 28, 2023 7:22PM
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there is an Antiquity lead in BGs. The St. Alessia statue.

I had to look that one up because the drop rate seems to be very low. I have only got one lead so far.

Thank you for the correction! I had forgotten about that and have edited my post above.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish the lead from ToT wasn’t locked (for me) behind a horribly bad rng. It should be obtainable even if you just casually play.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options