The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What race do you choose for your first Arcanist

• Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    I heard the arcanist would be good as support and I prefer Breton for my healers.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian
    I answered Argonian but honestly deciding is killing me. Could be orc, could be dunmer or frankly anything. Deciding is driving me nuts.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Imperial. It's the only race I don't have a character for yet.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    It's strange... if you look at Altmer passives, they are perfect for the Arcanist. You not only get defensive boost while channeling- and the overwhelming majority of our damage will be channeling the beam, but they also have resource return on casting abilities. You also get a boost with WD/SD and a boost to Magicka.

People will soon find out that Arcanist is designed to be a hybrid, and while Dunmer may seem like a logical choice due to them having a boost in both Stam and Mag... their other passive "damage against fire" is only situationally useful. Whereas all the Altmer passives are a boost for an Arcanist. I think this is why so many people were having resource problems on PTS, because they were taking the way they build other classes and applying them to Arcanist- which doesn't work well due to how they designed skill costs. I also did this, and went full magicka build, and suffered major sustain problems. So then I switched gear around and tested spec'ing into all Stamina for both staff and DW builds, and it worked extremely well.

On my Arcanist, I'll be running a hybrid build with 5x Light/2x Medium for staff and 4x Light/3x Medium for DW while spec'd full Stamina for both. The gear will have Stam glyphs and weapon/jewelry will have all WD/SD glyphs. I tested this on PTS and it works perfectly with no sustain problems (at least for the content I ran). Due to several Arcanist skills having a "max resource" dependent cost and one with a "lowest resource" cost, it makes for a perfect hybrid build.

I found for difficult content like World Bosses, going with a Lightning staff while spec'd Stamina, I was able to repeatedly use defensive skills (which cost Magicka) and could be restored with staff HA's if depleted too quickly... while DPS was using Stamina- which was sustained with Recuperative Treatise and Reconstructive Domain. If you also run Azandar, his Zone of Recuperation skill also boosts your recovery and it is stackable (up to six times I believe). On PTS I ran him as a tank and he did a super job, so he'll become my main tank once he's fully leveled. Also note, I run a full set of Telvanni Efficiency which also helped Azandar's frequent use of Zone of Recuperation as well as constantly shielding both of us.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    Either a bald dunmer or a bald imperial dude

got to be bald and sport a goatee. >:)
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    I plan on making two, one mag dps so Altmer, the passives for mag dps including the channeled passive is great too for when beaming with this class.

Second Nord tank. I love tanking so this looks like it could have some really fun effective builds.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

???

The choices what race you use for Arcanist has to do with several main factors:
    * Lore: what race(s) fit an Arcanist
    * Appearance of race: what race to choose so that the Arcanist gets an appearance that fits how the player wants that Arcanist (for me for example no Orc for my Arcanist, just because of the looks that do not fit imo an Arcanist)
    * Combat math
    * Other: like let's pick a race not used before

And you judge that this can be summed up as "Combat & Character Mechanics" ?

3 of the 4 main factors have nothing to do with "Mechanics" or "Combat math"

Can you please reconsider your decision and leave the poll where it was: the general discussion.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Greetings,

I was curious how long before they moved it. My poll didn't make it past page 1 before they moved it.

Back in April
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/631992/
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on June 2, 2023 1:28PM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    Greetings,

I was curious how long before they moved it. My poll didn't make it past page 1 before they moved it.

Back in April

And it could also have been moved to "players helping players"
    players choosing something based on reasons other players mention for their choice is after all helping them

So the only way out, as a work around, is to make polls whereby we explicitly ask forum members ONLY to vote and make no posts so that the thread cannot derail in anyway, and cannot give any reason to be moved outside the general discussion
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Ya I was going to put my telvanni efficiency post in general, but I knew they would eventually push it into crafting, so I gave in defeated and posted there to begin with :P
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭
    Nord
    hrothbern wrote: »
    Greetings,

Back in April

And it could also have been moved to "players helping players"
    players choosing something based on reasons other players mention for their choice is after all helping them

So the only way out, as a work around, is to make polls whereby we explicitly ask forum members ONLY to vote and make no posts so that the thread cannot derail in anyway, and cannot give any reason to be moved outside the general discussion
    Your work around suggestion is so helpful, that this thread now fits the 'Players Helping Players' category even more! How ironic! :o
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    ADarklore wrote: »
    It's strange... if you look at Altmer passives, they are perfect for the Arcanist. You not only get defensive boost while channeling- and the overwhelming majority of our damage will be channeling the beam, but they also have resource return on casting abilities. You also get a boost with WD/SD and a boost to Magicka.

People will soon find out that Arcanist is designed to be a hybrid, and while Dunmer may seem like a logical choice due to them having a boost in both Stam and Mag... their other passive "damage against fire" is only situationally useful. Whereas all the Altmer passives are a boost for an Arcanist. I think this is why so many people were having resource problems on PTS, because they were taking the way they build other classes and applying them to Arcanist- which doesn't work well due to how they designed skill costs. I also did this, and went full magicka build, and suffered major sustain problems. So then I switched gear around and tested spec'ing into all Stamina for both staff and DW builds, and it worked extremely well.

On my Arcanist, I'll be running a hybrid build with 5x Light/2x Medium for staff and 4x Light/3x Medium for DW while spec'd full Stamina for both. The gear will have Stam glyphs and weapon/jewelry will have all WD/SD glyphs. I tested this on PTS and it works perfectly with no sustain problems (at least for the content I ran). Due to several Arcanist skills having a "max resource" dependent cost and one with a "lowest resource" cost, it makes for a perfect hybrid build.

I found for difficult content like World Bosses, going with a Lightning staff while spec'd Stamina, I was able to repeatedly use defensive skills (which cost Magicka) and could be restored with staff HA's if depleted too quickly... while DPS was using Stamina- which was sustained with Recuperative Treatise and Reconstructive Domain. If you also run Azandar, his Zone of Recuperation skill also boosts your recovery and it is stackable (up to six times I believe). On PTS I ran him as a tank and he did a super job, so he'll become my main tank once he's fully leveled. Also note, I run a full set of Telvanni Efficiency which also helped Azandar's frequent use of Zone of Recuperation as well as constantly shielding both of us.

I think Imperials 10% cost reduction of all skills is a great sustain perk.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial

It is 6%, not 10

But it is still better than other race's similar passives on modern day builds.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Red Diamond is too good to pass up. Breton is good too but you don’t get reduction in Ult cost.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    Went with imperial after spending weeks trying to be happy with something else

Couldn't pick an orc name I would be happy with

I came up with another character to use Argonian for, so that was out

I'll sit on it for now and start working towards clearing zones and getting the character pvp ready, then when my sub renews I might race/name change to something I will be more happy with long term
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian
    Made them today, went with female magicka argonian and female stamina orc.
  • Trejgon
    Trejgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    all of my characters are alternative timeline versions of same dunmer girl in my headcannon soooo....
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Originally I was planning on going Altmer, but ended up going Argonian because I felt it would be more appropriate given that I plan to have Sharp as my main companion. Two Argonians against the world!! ;)
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer

It could be, however, Imperial cost reduction is actually only 6%.

Most people say recovery is much better than cost reduction. If you actually calculate the tiny amount that 6% reduction gives you, it's not much. However, higher recovery seems to replenish much faster, from what I've read.
    Edited by ADarklore on June 7, 2023 10:45AM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer

Most people say recovery is much better than cost reduction. If you actually calculate the tiny amount that 6% reduction gives you, it's not much. However, higher recovery seems to replenish much faster, from what I've read.

I think what matters also is whether you use lower cost or higher cost abilities.

With using more higher cost abilities the cost reduction becomes more effective
    With using the typical spammable abilities (2700 Magicka) recovery becomes more effective
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord
    First class that can sensibly tank with a 2H sword and as he's called Barkanist he also needs to werewolf nicely. But I have a mix I am playing with - Arcanhist is naturally enough an argonian and Herbaceus Borda is a woodelf.

No orc because someone beat me to Orcanist.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I finally picked a leonine Khajiit wearing a gilded gladiator costume, MM laurels and the heroic personality.
    As with every new class, I played him up to lvl 4, and then returned to playing my main.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial
    hrothbern wrote: »

I think what matters also is whether you use lower cost or higher cost abilities.

With using more higher cost abilities the cost reduction becomes more effective
    With using the typical spammable abilities (2700 Magicka) recovery becomes more effective

As an example If you are a stamcanist using tentacles as the spammable instead of the lack luster intended one that 6% is a lot more impactful than otherwise
  • Umbranox
    Umbranox
    Soul Shriven
    Nord
    Nord. I wanted to recreate my Skyrim character, who wants to revive the old Nord ways by understanding the Voice and what happened to it. Sometimes that requires finding I formation that's been lost to mortals...

It's cool seeing that there's so much synergy for tank builds.
    Edited by Umbranox on June 12, 2023 3:12PM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit
    Khajitt

Just made the best sense for a healer pvp or PvE if you consider passives and skills for class

Argonian made most sense for tank with skills that proc on lower health. My idea is using potion passive to build off survivality already built into class. There's a lot of healing build on tank like skills so this too made sense Also potential sustain issues Will be alleviated with potion passive.

My characters feel and look amazing. I just need to decide dps character as I had 3 slots available.... considering deleting one to make a 5 after all do I really need 5 sorcs?

Leaning towards bosmer stamina arcantist or altmer for Magicka

Dummer is just not my style more than once
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on June 12, 2023 6:37PM
  • c4bloyb16_ESO
    c4bloyb16_ESO
    ✭✭
    Orc.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    My first is a Dunmer, my second an Altmer — mostly because those are my favorite races to play. :) I’m considering also making an Imperial Arcanist or remaking my Argonian Nightblade as an Arcanist, but I haven’t decided.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bosmer
    my first arcanist is a bosmer and second an altmer
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit
    Khajiit - leverage the class's crit passives, additional health, but not as much as Imperial.

Imperial - more health, but I found I don't need the sustain passive.