The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wish we had sets that could enable other weapons for HA build too

CaptainVenom
CaptainVenom
✭✭✭✭✭
I mean... are lightning and restoration staves the only ones for this kind of build? Other weapons' HA don't come even closer to staff damage on the same build. Maybe it's time to bring new weapons to it for diversity's sake?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 22, 2023 3:40AM
🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean... are lightning and restoration staves the only ones for this kind of build? Other weapons' HA don't come even closer to staff damage on the same build. Maybe it's time to bring new weapons to it for diversity's sake?
    I’m all for that I’d love to see that happen
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dreaming on a 1-h & Shield HA build. Ran some tests but its damage is like half of a Lightning Staff. :( It's all about the special Lightning/Restoration channeling effect for HA.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, an HA build specifically, or just other options for one bar builds using Oak?

as already noted, lightning staff has benefits for a HA rotation, so it is currently outperforming other weapons.

but there are options for a 1 bar build using Oakensoul - a quick example from a quick google search for 1 bar oaksensoul
    https://plitzzy.com/one-bar-builds
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haelgaan wrote: »
    so, an HA build specifically, or just other options for one bar builds using Oak?

as already noted, lightning staff has benefits for a HA rotation, so it is currently outperforming other weapons.

but there are options for a 1 bar build using Oakensoul - a quick example from a quick google search for 1 bar oaksensoul
    https://plitzzy.com/one-bar-builds

More one bar stuff would be nice to see also
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem that its possible to hold off on Resto or Lightning Staff heavy attack until a target comes into range, everything else goes off once the charge up is done whether or not a target is available to hit. This makes it easier for them to connect and smack when you're ready. I would like at least bows to do that too if I'm holding down the button and you don't release until a target walks in range to actually connect.

Another problem I notice is when trying to heavy attack with say a two-handed weapon is it can completely miss a target at point-blank range, no evasion or dodge effect the game just ignores the target's hitbox and swings at nothing wasting your time and attack.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other day I haphazardly threw on a bow and did a fairly terrible rotation with heavies and the sergeant storm oaken sorc combo. Broke 60k DPS on it. I think if I cleaned up the rotation a bit and got used to the different timing for bows, I could get it over 70k. Probably get it higher with a different gear setup that favors the bow more with oaken.

The only issue would be in actual content, where you lose the cleave damage using bow.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dreaming on a 1-h & Shield HA build. Ran some tests but its damage is like half of a Lightning Staff. :( It's all about the special Lightning/Restoration channeling effect for HA.

Sword and shield should never be as strong as a pure dps weapon, due to its defensive buffs.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if anyone remembers but at one stage melee heavy attack was a thing in pvp, and one of the sets that were used was sergeants mail and was "adjusted" as a result.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if anyone remembers but at one stage melee heavy attack was a thing in pvp, and one of the sets that were used was sergeants mail and was "adjusted" as a result.

The problem was that sword and shield were too strong for what they offered defensively. And it was doubling up with other proc sets to be ridiculous.

Dolymesh was mixed with that for absurd results. Although I would really prefer if they would just get a better balancing team instead of nerfing everything good.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only issue with buffing other HA's besides the channels is that it's really easy to accidentally overbuff HA's in PvP. Im sure everyone remembers being 1-tapped by 45k inferno staff heavies from stealth...

However, this issue should largely be mitigated by the fact that Empower no longer exists in PvP. So honestly? I'm all for it.
  • Hyperdeathstalker
    Hyperdeathstalker
    ✭✭✭
    Dual wield has been proven viable

https://youtu.be/OZSElnuUAGM
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the big reasons they won't add a new weapon type is because they'd have to make styles for it in the over 100 motifs that we have now.

So I feel like instead they could buff a preexisting weapon type's HA. If they do two hand, then they could recycle the animation where enemies swing their weapon around over their head. Finish off the animation with one big swing and you have the final damaging tick animated. Then it would do a few ticks of damage to enemies in an area around you during the channel, making it more in line with lightning and healing staves. Two handed weapons already have the Forceful passive to add damage to nearby enemies, so it's already part of the way there.
    Still hoping that one day hair dyeing will be an option. We know it's canon in universe already thanks to a book in the Manor of Masques! (House of Reveries: The Troupe)
    Proud owner of a Morrowind Banner of the 6th House (back when it actually meant something)
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if all weapons would have similar single target DPS on a trial dumny on one bar heavy attack setups, lightning staff would still be dominating due to AoE dmg It's producing and a fact that lightning blockade enables easy access to off balance (+70% heavy attack dmg). Both of these things are making lightning staff league above other weapons in real fights.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »
    Even if all weapons would have similar single target DPS on a trial dumny on one bar heavy attack setups, lightning staff would still be dominating due to AoE dmg It's producing and a fact that lightning blockade enables easy access to off balance (+70% heavy attack dmg). Both of these things are making lightning staff league above other weapons in real fights.

Hence why we could use some HA sets for other weapons.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hence why we could use some HA sets for other weapons.

And what would that sets possibly do?
  • Hyperdeathstalker
    Hyperdeathstalker
    ✭✭✭
    Dual heavy attack setup would be more viable on warden as u get access to off balance from cliff racer , and i agree some more heavy attack sets would be nice
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual heavy attack setup would be more viable on warden as u get access to off balance from cliff racer , and i agree some more heavy attack sets would be nice

Problem is dual wield heavy attacks have 5 meters range when warden needs to be 7+ meters away from enemy to apply off balance.
    Edited by Galeriano on April 21, 2023 8:02PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is dual wield heavy attacks have 5 meters range when warden needs to be 7+ meters away from enemy to apply off balance.

They'll have a 7 meter range next patch with the adjustment to melee range.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

They'll have a 7 meter range next patch with the adjustment to melee range.

I know but it's still few weeks away.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Elrender
    Elrender
    ✭✭✭
    problem with staff HA builds that ligtning staff can do 70k with only autoattacks. Without skills. Without cringe rotation.
    But with bow or 2h you are forced to do numerous of buttonmashing.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elrender wrote: »
    problem with staff HA builds that ligtning staff can do 70k with only autoattacks. Without skills. Without cringe rotation.

It can actually do over 80k And it's both single target and AoE at the same time.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've hoped for this, from the beginning..... but, instead of building, the usual request is nerfing... so I suspect that things will continually get nerfed until it's all so mediocre, that games like LOTRO with auto-attack, will become more "dynamic"

Auldwulfe
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It can actually do over 80k And it's both single target and AoE at the same time.

More importantly, it can also be done with, or without, the mythic that the clickbaiters are yelling about......
    But as I noted, I suspect nerfs will come, improvements.... not so much.

Auldwulfe
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auldwulfe wrote: »

More importantly, it can also be done with, or without, the mythic that the clickbaiters are yelling about......

Auldwulfe

80k with just heavy attack without using skills cannot be done without oakensoul. It's oakensoul exclusive feature.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think an inferno staff channel of a BEAM OF FIRE would be cool.
    It would be less cool as an I've channel but that would still be neat.
    I can't picture how it would work the same with bow or melee weapons however.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Auldwulfe

80k with just heavy attack without using skills cannot be done without oakensoul. It's oakensoul exclusive feature.

Technically, you can put the same buffs and sets on a 2 bar build, but it's a LOT of work so not many people do it.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Auldwulfe

I have done it - lightning front bar, restoration back bar --- Crit surge, Camouflaged Hunter, Daedric Prey, both pets... sergeant's Mail, and Storm Master .... that is EVERY damage buff from Oakensoul, except for a few very focused ones, like Minor Force..... and I hit anywhere from 79 to 84K with it.... I can't break 90K.... but it is totally doable without Oakensoul... and you get bonus healing from it, to cover the defensive buffs you don't have.

Auldwulfe
    Edited by Auldwulfe on April 24, 2023 3:41PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Auldwulfe

I have done it - lightning front bar, restoration back bar --- Crit surge, Camouflaged Hunter, Daedric Prey, both pets... sergeant's Mail, and Storm Master .... that is EVERY damage buff from Oakensoul, except for a few very focused ones, like Minor Force..... and I hit anywhere from 79 to 84K with it.... I can't break 90K.... but it is totally doable without Oakensoul... and you get bonus healing from it, to cover the defensive buffs you don't have.

Auldwulfe

In that example, you are needing to activate the skills to hit that. With oakensorc, just having the pets out and heavy attacking only will hit 80K. That is what people are talking about, ONLY heavy attacking hits 80k. With crit surge on the bar, and a rotation, you can hit around 90K, and with barbed trap instead of crit surge, 100K. That isn't happening on a non-oak heavy attack build.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Auldwulfe

Auldwulfe

In that example, you are needing to activate the skills to hit that. With oakensorc, just having the pets out and heavy attacking only will hit 80K. That is what people are talking about, ONLY heavy attacking hits 80k. With crit surge on the bar, and a rotation, you can hit around 90K, and with barbed trap instead of crit surge, 100K. That isn't happening on a non-oak heavy attack build.

Yep, all of 1 skill, every 33 seconds...... that's it
    Crit Surge - is one skill with a 33 second cool down... and that is prior to High Isle, and prior to Oakensoul...... and because it gives me healing every second, it is better than oakensoul... oakensoul does not give you passive healing on every crit.

Auldwulfe