The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Account Hacking Attempts

Shakes
Shakes
✭✭
For the past several days anytime I login (or try to) to ESO my account it's already locked for too many attempts and I have to go through the process of changing my password. I assume some random person/bot is attempting to log in to my account. I hear there are password managing programs you can use to manage logins. Will a program like that fix this problem for me? Looking for advise here as it's becoming increasingly monotonous having to continually change my password.

Halp!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 15, 2023 1:52AM
  • Rasoma
    Rasoma
    ✭✭✭
    A password manager will not stop whoever it is from doing what they are doing.

It’s regrettable that the account name is so visible and thus allows people to try brute force attempts.
    @Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Password managers are a good idea in order to use long, random unique passwords for everything (LastPass recent issues notwithstanding).

However they will not prevent anyone from attempting to login to your account no. If there was a way to change your username for ESO, that would give you a reprieve since someone seems hellbent on cracking your account.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasoma wrote: »

It’s regrettable that the account name is so visible and thus allows people to try brute force attempts.

Agreed. You can change your forum account name, but the in game name is always visible as your account name. Would far prefer a nickname for in game that is linked to your account, but only ZoS would know the actual account name.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Shakes have you contacted customer support to see if they can shed any more light on what is happening and possibly any mitigation techniques?
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Password manager of some sort would make it easier to have longer and more complex passwords to make sure they keep failing. Also makes it easier to have different password for different accounts so if 1 is compromised, only it is.

That said; I recommend not unlocking your account too quickly. You're basically giving the attacker more tries
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Password manager of some sort would make it easier to have longer and more complex passwords to make sure they keep failing. Also makes it easier to have different password for different accounts so if 1 is compromised, only it is.

That said; I recommend not unlocking your account too quickly. You're basically giving the attacker more tries

While this will not solve the actual issue OP is having, it does better protect our accounts and data when we have unique passwords for different accounts.

Knew someone who had been using the same password since early WoW and used it for their ESO account, email and banking. They blamed Zenimax for their account being hacked since their password had worked well since those early days in WoW. I told them they were lucky their bank account was not drained.

So remember to use different passwords for the game and associated email.

Good luck OP.
  • Shakes
    Shakes
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. Some good thoughts and valid points.

@Ragnarok0130 I think you might be right - probably time to contact customer support!
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Agreed. You can change your forum account name, but the in game name is always visible as your account name. Would far prefer a nickname for in game that is linked to your account, but only ZoS would know the actual account name.

I wish your account name was hidden and just shows your character name only
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

I wish your account name was hidden and just shows your character name only

This should have been implemented a long time ago - dissociating the IGN from the login ID - but here we are.

In Fallout 76 they implemented this feature shortly after release recognising that it was an oversight; in ESO here we are 9 years later...

Yet for reasons I cannot possibly fathom there are fellow players that are vehemently opposed to this, happens every time the matter is raised in the forums.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Shakes you can change your IGN/login ID in the account page.

Log into your account, go to 'Edit Account Info', then select 'Edit User ID'.

If this is not a 'targeted attack' by someone who can infer that you have changed it and determine what your new ID is it should buy you some respite.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on April 14, 2023 8:00PM
  • StormBlade512
    StormBlade512
    ✭✭✭
    Does the person who's trying to hack your account not know about the email verification system? Lol

Seriously annoying that you're going through that though! Turn 2fa on your email, and lock it down
    Edited by StormBlade512 on April 14, 2023 8:07PM
  • StormBlade512
    StormBlade512
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

While this will not solve the actual issue OP is having, it does better protect our accounts and data when we have unique passwords for different accounts.

Knew someone who had been using the same password since early WoW and used it for their ESO account, email and banking. They blamed Zenimax for their account being hacked since their password had worked well since those early days in WoW. I told them they were lucky their bank account was not drained.

So remember to use different passwords for the game and associated email.

Good luck OP.

I used to use the same password everywhere, it was a miracle that no one hacked me
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Shakes

If you've not done so, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post