The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is magsorc getting so much hate in pvp right now?

• Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Seeing as this thread is in regards to PvP specifically, we have moved it to the PvP Combat & Skills section as it is better fit there.

Thank you.
    Staff Post
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    The lack of a reliable / useable burst heal for the most part. Dark Deal / Conversion has a cast time, meaning you can't animation cancel it (into a dodge roll) or block cast it. Timing-wise there is also simply a delay while pets, which can also be used for healing, take up two slots and can be killed.

In the (distant) past, magsorcs used to make up for this by shielding while stamsorcs would dodge roll. Shields have a long history of nerfs and changes. The two death nails that made shields no longer viable were probably CP 2.0 and hybridisation. In order to build for shields you need to spec hard into magicka. To reach 45K+ magicka, you don't have room in the build for much else, e.g. you need to wear purely Alfiq, Ancient Grace, Necropotence, Death Dealer's Fete etc., those kind of sets. The old CP system gave players +20% stats. The new system exchanged that for some puny flat buffs while weapon and spell damage still get buffed by Major Brutality / Sorcery for +20%. Mag-stacking lost that buff. The old CP system was fairer on magicka-stacking builds. You can still match the +20% on a nightblade with Inner Light, a Siphoning skill and Undaunted passives. To achieve the same on a sorc, you'd have to slot a dead / useless skill, Bound Aegis. You can't really afford that. There is no room for a dead skill on the skill bar in addition to Inner Light, not to mention that Inner Light on the back bar, where you likely have your shields, doesn't make much sense either.

Hybridisation, then, gives you new options building for weapon / spell damage instead. You can wear some medium armor. You get a much higher multiplier. Sorc also has a passive (Expert Mage) that buffs that as well and might get Minor Brutality / Sorcery from a group. Hybrid builds are the competition. A high magicka build can't compete with the damage you get out of a weapon / spell damage-stacking build. It's all about the percentage buffs. High mag food and Death Dealer's are flat buffs. They help a weapon / spell damage build as much as a high mag build.

All that said, I don't think sorc is in that bad of a place once you accept that it has become a hybrid class. I'm not sure how good a pure stamsorc is either. A "stamsorc" that uses Curse and the sorc execute however...

Finally I think people bemoan what they have lost. If a high-end player is complaining about magsorc, they may be complaining about the fact they can't 1vX on the class anymore, nor participate in brawls as easily as, well, the brawler classes. I do not necessarily see that as a valid complaint (because I do not subscribe to ZOS' "play as you want on every class" philosophy). As far as I can see sorc can still be very strong 1v1.

1v1 is not a valid scenario in any form of pvp
    Neither bgs nor open world

If nb, warden and dk can 1vX or brawl with relative ease why not sorc.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    As far as I can see sorc can still be very strong 1v1.

The main issue with this argument is that in its current state it requires a master of the class to perform at that level.
    No. I got to disagree hard on that, because of the sheer damage that I've been hit with. Talking CP open world here. My NB has an Incap tooltip of 15K with only Major Sorcery. More, if I have other buffs up (Merciless, Concealed, Continuous Attack etc.). About 9K pen. I hit a sorc with a 4.5K crit incap. They hit me back in the same second, with a crit Crystal Weapon for 9K. Both unblocked. Both crits. I'm talking FTC combat log here, not some ZOS death recap.

Crystal Weapon has the damage of an AOE skill on the first hit now. It is not very good, except to construct burst. However I'm not comparing burst here. I'm comparing individual skills. If I compare Incap Strike to my AOE skills on the NB, Incap is about 2.2 times stronger. Now my physical resistance is very low. Let's say my effective resistance was zero in this particular exchange. I accept that I may be hit for 9K by a crit AOE grade skill at the high end. What doesn't tally is that the attacker has so much crit resist and/or physical resist, they mitigate my crit Incap down to 4.5K at the same time. They weren't running Rallying Cry as far as I could see, and they definitely weren't wearing Imperial Physique. Also this was in IC, so they weren't emp. They had no issue sustaining either, judging by the amount of streaking going on.

This is not the only sorc I've noticed hits that hard. I've seen another take apart a tanky warden, forcing them totally into defense and eventually killing them with pure damage. Also in IC. I had fought the sorc earlier and had a brief tussle with the warden. They seemed decent.

I am sorry, hitting people for 9K with what is effectively an AOE grade skill, while only taking 4.5K damage from the opponent's crit ultimate, is not skill. That's being OP in the given situation. A minimum 15K tooltip on my part isn't super high, but when it crits, it hits squishy people for 10K+. That sorc was not squishy, yet they were doing close to the damage of an all out ganker NB, considering what Crystal Weapon is nowadays. So either that person was a cheater or there are sorc builds or exploits going around that are perhaps not widely known.

To be clear. The player who did indeed kill me shortly afterwards was a good player. He knew how to chase nightblades with Streak. He attacked into my Incap and blocked my subsequent attacks shortly afterwards, like only a good dueller would. I am not complaining about that. I am not complaining about their skill, but it's easy to be confident when you know a crit ulti will only hit you for 4.5K. That is what I take issue with. If you are a sorc and your sorc doesn't work, I suggest you figure out how that is done instead of looking for buffs.

I am not sure which version of the game you are playing

A week 1 nb can right now 1vX with ease.

Right now Nb has the lowest skill cap this game has ever had.

A nb should never be dying to a sorc or even an army of sorcs. You have 2 escape skills, a burst heal and a 5 second insta gib timer.
    I just can’t see how apart from fall damage
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 22, 2023 8:40AM
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a sorc main who traversed over to stam nb for a little bit can confirm that nb is infinitely stronger than sorc in every single department. I also tested mag dk out, also alot of stronger than sorc in all departments. Whoever says sorc is stronger than these two classes are just straight-up lying or have no idea what they are saying. Sorc even with streak is significantly weaker than these classes in all areas. Elephant in the room nb Mobility is 10x that of a sorc. Hits harder, and press 1 button to escape projectiles and dots damage for a few seconds and no one knows where u are lol. Ridiculous skill cloak is.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes NB is stronger than sorc. Yes DK is stronger than sorc. And there's a fairly popular movement among players that we need to stop nerfing the OP classes and start buffing the weak ones.

I would personally caution against going too far down this road. Do sorcs, necros, and templars need buffs? Certainly. But let's not buff them ALL the way to where NB, for example, is right now. As much as we want every class to be fun to play we also want every class to be able to die, right? Sorcs being weak isn't the only problem the game has. There's also the fact that we're in a tank meta and good players stalemate. So the correct answer is probably to buff sorc halfway and then nerf the over performing classes the rest of the way.

Which is why some of these buff sorc lists seem way too much to me. Rework the passives... Give them breach... Make shields scale off damage... Give them a burst heal... Put stun back on frags... Return the 3rd overload bar... It's too much.

I've basically always said give them breach and fix one of their burst heals. I truly believe this is a good start. And it isn't that the other ideas aren't good it's just that these seem the most simple and doing them ALL would only contribute to the power creep problem. Just because NBs can 1-shot people doesn't mean sorcs should. Maybe nbs should NOT? Just because wardens can tank a small zerg doesn't mean sorcs should. Maybe wardens should NOT?
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Yes NB is stronger than sorc. Yes DK is stronger than sorc. And there's a fairly popular movement among players that we need to stop nerfing the OP classes and start buffing the weak ones.

I would personally caution against going too far down this road. Do sorcs, necros, and templars need buffs? Certainly. But let's not buff them ALL the way to where NB, for example, is right now. As much as we want every class to be fun to play we also want every class to be able to die, right? Sorcs being weak isn't the only problem the game has. There's also the fact that we're in a tank meta and good players stalemate. So the correct answer is probably to buff sorc halfway and then nerf the over performing classes the rest of the way.

Which is why some of these buff sorc lists seem way too much to me. Rework the passives... Give them breach... Make shields scale off damage... Give them a burst heal... Put stun back on frags... Return the 3rd overload bar... It's too much.

I've basically always said give them breach and fix one of their burst heals. I truly believe this is a good start. And it isn't that the other ideas aren't good it's just that these seem the most simple and doing them ALL would only contribute to the power creep problem. Just because NBs can 1-shot people doesn't mean sorcs should. Maybe nbs should NOT? Just because wardens can tank a small zerg doesn't mean sorcs should. Maybe wardens should NOT?

We all know for a fact that NB will never be nerfed. Your correct answer is not ZOS’s answer unfortunately

Sorc buff lists are long for a reason. All we can hope is a few bones thrown to other classes while NB’s are infinitesimally buffed.
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    We all know for a fact that NB will never be nerfed. Your correct answer is not ZOS’s answer unfortunately

Sorc buff lists are long for a reason. All we can hope is a few bones thrown to other classes while NB’s are infinitesimally buffed.

We all know that we all can read patchnotes. So we all know that NB lost stun on spammable and any usability of dark cloak in pvp so noone uses it nowdays.
    Also we all now that healing in the game is a huge problem so adding here a viable shields is the last thing the game needs.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if the idea is to just throw all the spaghetti at the wall and hope something sticks I guess I can respect that. I also recognize that it's pretty unlikely they come here looking for ideas. My response to that is different though... I'd rather speak with a bit of sense and be satisfied with myself than be hyperbolic and hope... Well, whatever people hope.

Not that anyone here isn't making sense, but you know what I mean. I view this as a chance to be "better than them," if that makes sense.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lastly, that incap sounds kinda low tbh. I've seen easy 20k tooltips and hit squishy folk with my hybrid blade incap for near 15k fairly frequently. There's also spec bow which hits as hard as the entire sorc burst combo on its own (which you can see on just about any thread here on the forums where it hits tanks for near 30k).

Sorry but I really feel the need to point out that is an exaggeration to say it's hitting tanks that hard. My NB has maybe 11K phys/spell resist unbuffed and only 1100 crit resist and the hardest the skill has ever hit me for was 31K. Which is still kinda crazy but a tank with 30K phys/spell and 3500 crit resist is gonna take half that.

Sorry, but I really need to point out here that applying your own limited biases to try and claim something as "false" is just nonsense. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't or cannot happen.

There was an entire thread about this from a player not that long ago (late december iirc) who claimed to be a tanky player (33k+ resist, 2400+ crit resist) who got hit for near 30k spec bow.

Granted most NB spec bows won't hit for that much, since most players cannot/will not build for it, but, again, that doesn't mean that it cannot or does not happen.

I'd like you to explain how, in hundreds of hours of playing time, I've managed to avoid getting hit for that much except for a couple of times on a character that is as squishy as you can be yet it seems to happen regularly to the "tanks" you're referring to?
    I could claim to be the King of England, doesn't make it true.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on January 22, 2023 10:27PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it even possible to play mag sorc in PvP now? Or possible only with sets that slaughter for me or make me invincible or whatever? I’ve always been a PvP potato, haha, but now it’s a mashed potato. I play a mag-stacking mag sorc — Alfiq’s and Spinner’s — and everything feels so ineffective now! My shields are tissues and my shards hit like overcooked pasta. :bawling:
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AndreNoir wrote: »

We all know that we all can read patchnotes. So we all know that NB lost stun on spammable and any usability of dark cloak in pvp so noone uses it nowdays.
    Also we all now that healing in the game is a huge problem so adding here a viable shields is the last thing the game needs.

Why do you need a stun ?

Incap into spectral bow is literally all you need to insta gib someone.

Nb is several leagues above any class in the game right now.

It will take a ridiculous amount of buffs for any class to even compete with nb.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Well if the idea is to just throw all the spaghetti at the wall and hope something sticks I guess I can respect that. I also recognize that it's pretty unlikely they come here looking for ideas. My response to that is different though... I'd rather speak with a bit of sense and be satisfied with myself than be hyperbolic and hope... Well, whatever people hope.

Not that anyone here isn't making sense, but you know what I mean. I view this as a chance to be "better than them," if that makes sense.

Of course they don’t come here looking for ideas. It will be a mindless waste of dev time.

But they do look for a message and that is sorc is a bottom tier class which deserves a *** ton of buffs
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

A stun on a spammable is bad anyway.

The thing is, sorc healing isn't a huge problem because it has bad options.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it even possible to play mag sorc in PvP now? Or possible only with sets that slaughter for me or make me invincible or whatever? I’ve always been a PvP potato, haha, but now it’s a mashed potato. I play a mag-stacking mag sorc — Alfiq’s and Spinner’s — and everything feels so ineffective now! My shields are tissues and my shards hit like overcooked pasta. :bawling:

If you want a shield stacking build that works, go on my YouTube. There's a build. Just type in Adam LAD ESO. Spinners and Alfiq in this climate will get abused by people who don't even PvP. Builds are so important for PvP. There are a lot of sorcs who have tried to adapt to the climate and have fallen short. Me, however, has continued to adapt and made shield stacking somewhat decent. I'm seriously not a fan of sloting Vigor, dropping Shields and all that nonsense. It's not a mag sorc at that point. I do not want to play a hybrid or a stam sorcerer. Full Traditional mag sorc is a what a true mag sorc is and absolutely the most fun to play.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    As a sorc main who traversed over to stam nb for a little bit can confirm that nb is infinitely stronger than sorc in every single department. I also tested mag dk out, also alot of stronger than sorc in all departments. Whoever says sorc is stronger than these two classes are just straight-up lying or have no idea what they are saying. Sorc even with streak is significantly weaker than these classes in all areas. Elephant in the room nb Mobility is 10x that of a sorc. Hits harder, and press 1 button to escape projectiles and dots damage for a few seconds and no one knows where u are lol. Ridiculous skill cloak is.

You do know cloak doesn't stop dot damage, right? That was changed a few patches ago
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You do know cloak doesn't stop dot damage, right? That was changed a few patches ago

But it still escapes unlimited projectiles....something that got Ball of Lightning nerfed to useless-ness.

Sorc has some serious problems.

NB is just superlative at the moment. ZOS loaded the class with every conceivable goodie.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, good point. Let me just slot my sorc Dots..

Curse

Ok, now let's line up that burst, Ele weap, overload light attack, fury. Oh they cloaked and it all missed. At least Curse went off I guess.
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

The thing is sorc is the only class that has access to shield use so any healing problems are not relevant here
    If stun on spammable is bad (it had conditions btw) then remove it from streak
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want a shield stacking build that works, go on my YouTube. There's a build. Just type in Adam LAD ESO. Spinners and Alfiq in this climate will get abused by people who don't even PvP. Builds are so important for PvP. There are a lot of sorcs who have tried to adapt to the climate and have fallen short. Me, however, has continued to adapt and made shield stacking somewhat decent. I'm seriously not a fan of sloting Vigor, dropping Shields and all that nonsense. It's not a mag sorc at that point. I do not want to play a hybrid or a stam sorcerer. Full Traditional mag sorc is a what a true mag sorc is and absolutely the most fun to play.

Yeah, I’m not interested in going hybrid or stam with this character and never liked the look/feel of crystal weapon anyway. What is the problem with Alfiq and Spinners now? I see you use light armor for your build as well.

There are many things I was doing similarly build-wise, although I was not shield stacking but using Hardened Ward and trying to zip around with Boundless Form and Streak but then I’d get jumped and be dead quick.

But my primary reason for feeling magsorc weak is how long it takes to kill the NPC guards and the damage I take, as there are of course far fewer variables there than going up against other players. I use Haunting Curse and Crystal Frags a lot; I used to also use Crushing Shock but recently tried swapping it out for Endless Fury, but maybe I should use both depending on health bar…
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 24, 2023 8:49PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can’t apply dots on someone you can’t see lol.

Along with vampire passives and some nb passives cloak is at least 3x more overloaded than streak
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak is mechanically flawed for eso combat. Let me explain why.
    1 button that's costs roughly 4k magicka, instant cast ,can prevent any projectiles from hitting you and any type of direct damage that's not an aoe. You can move, be healed, and no one has a clue where you went.

But that's not all. This is relevant to all classes but more so on sorc as it's mainly projectiles. In my rotation for a sorc burst, it consists of light attack, degeneration, curse, frag, force pulse, and mages wrath. That's at baseline for simplicity. I could throw in a few more light attacks and skills. But regardless at base, that's 6 button presses that has to be done in correct flawless order to be effective at minimum and roughly costs maybe like 10k magicka if wearing 5 light and breton. It's probably 13 to 15k if not. Cloak which is one button and costs less than half of my entire rotation will completely nullify my entire rotation besides curse. Now add the fact we have no idea where u are on top and the fact your still being healed. Also you have rolldoge which does exactly the same as cloak, however we all have access to it easily. But you have it on TOP of cloak.

So just at base that's a massive imbalance in comparison. But that's not where it ends. Let's say that for example I do 50 completely flawless rotations against this nightblade. How many is actually going to land to do anything ? Maybe like 1 ? 2 ? 0 ? Definitely not many. Out of the 50 rotations
    However since other classes do not have access to stealth, we have to stand there a be a target as we are seen. So do u know what this means ? You have a way better chance of landing your entire combination against us because of it. We can't just stealth out of a combination. You can.

So out of my 50 rotations hardly any will land against the nb, but the nightblade since I'm seen all the time can probably land maybe 40 ? Out of the 50, Higher depending on skill factor.

I've spoken about this in the past with my freinds and I've only just realised how broke cloak actually is in PvP since trying nightblade. It's so flawed. I understand nightblade is supposed to be a very slippery. However its done to the degree in which it's so imbalanced. It's why the Nb mains across the board are refusing to use it for duelling and some even open world. It's utterly broken. And people for years have been crutching upon its existence. 1st hand experienced as I have tested it myself
    Edited by AdamLAD on January 23, 2023 11:47PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak is mechanically flawed for eso combat. Let me explain why.
    1 button that's costs roughly 4k magicka, instant cast ,can prevent any projectiles from hitting you and any type of direct damage that's not an aoe. You can move, be healed, and no one has a clue where you went.

But that's not all. This is relevant to all classes but more so on sorc as it's mainly projectiles. In my rotation for a sorc burst, it consists of light attack, degeneration, curse, frag, force pulse, and mages wrath. That's at baseline for simplicity. I could throw in a few more light attacks and skills. But regardless at base, that's 6 button presses that has to be done in correct flawless order to be effective at minimum and roughly costs maybe like 10k magicka if wearing 5 light and breton. It's probably 13 to 15k if not. Cloak which is one button and costs less than half of my entire rotation will completely nullify my entire rotation besides curse. Now add the fact we have no idea where u are on top and the fact your still being healed. Also you have rolldoge which does exactly the same as cloak, however we all have access to it easily. But you have it on TOP of cloak.

So just at base that's a massive imbalance in comparison. But that's not where it ends. Let's say that for example I do 50 completely flawless rotations against this nightblade. How many is actually going to land to do anything ? Maybe like 1 ? 2 ? 0 ? Definitely not many. Out of the 50 rotations
    However since other classes do not have access to stealth, we have to stand there a be a target as we are seen. So do u know what this means ? You have a way better chance of landing your entire combination against us because of it. We can't just stealth out of a combination. You can.

So out of my 50 rotations hardly any will land against the nb, but the nightblade since I'm seen all the time can probably land maybe 40 ? Out of the 50, Higher depending on skill factor.

I've spoken about this in the past with my freinds and I've only just realised how broke cloak actually is in PvP since trying nightblade. It's so flawed. I understand nightblade is supposed to be a very slippery. However its done to the degree in which it's so imbalanced. It's why the Nb mains across the board are refusing to use it for duelling and some even open world. It's utterly broken. And people for years have been crutching upon its existence. 1st hand experienced as I have tested it myself

The forums will paint a different story though by telling you about a billion counters to cloak which actually don’t work

Maybe they never heard about shade. It’s mind boggling to me that people even manage to die on this class
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 24, 2023 1:11AM
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I also forgot about shade on TOP roll dodge and cloak lol
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The thing is sorc is the only class that has access to shield use so any healing problems are not relevant here

Everyone has access to shields, no one builds to use them because they are inefficient and don't scale with incoming damage. Trying to shield stack is futile in the long run.

Dodge roll....avoid potentially unlimited incoming damage.
    Cloak ....avoid potentially unlimited incoming damage.
    Heals .... scale infinitely with the same stats you use for damage skills, can crit

Sorc shields are hard capped and tied to max magic which no one wants to invest in because investing in max spell/weapon damage is so much more effective. Block casting a burst heal is significantly more effective than casting a shield.

Stacking sp/wep damage is more effective because there are almost no percent modifiers for max mag/stam. You get 30-54% modifiers on sp/wep damage, the best you can do on max mag/stam is 8%.
    Edited by katorga on January 24, 2023 4:23PM
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Everyone has access to shields, no one builds to use them because they are inefficient and don't scale with incoming damage. Trying to shield stack is futile in the long run.

Yeah, everyone has access to cloak with those potions, vampirism and crouch. So what did you want to say ?
    Edited by AndreNoir on January 24, 2023 8:21PM
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Invisibility Potions with 45 sec cooldown that prevent to use better potions. Is cloaks cooldown also that high and does cloak also prevent using better potions?

Crouch which takes up to 3 (?) seconds and cant be done mid fight. Cloak is instant and works mid fight.

Vampirism which has several disadvantages if this is your only reason to go vampire + also not instant. Cloak has no disadvantages, works instant and even provides an offensive advanatage.

I wonder much more about your absolute bad argument proveding far inferor and non practical ways of stealth in comparison to a broken skill. Your arugment literally proves that there is nothing remotely as broken as Cloak on other classes, which even grants critical strikes and works mid fight and allows to negate about half the damage in the game to exactly 0 for literally no cost, while non of the alternatives can do this...

Still if your argument would be even remotely valid, this wouldnt make shields any better. The light armor shield anyone has access to, is almost exactly the same as the Sorc shield.The light armor shield can even be potentially stronger / better than the Sorc shield. So if shields would be viable, other classes would at least occasionally use the light armor shield which is almost the same or even slightly better as the Sorc shield, but the reality is that literally no one uses them because they are absolute crap. Wasteing even 2 bar slots and 2 GCDs for 2 crap shields for a very short time wont fix this either. Also Sorcs again arent exclusively the only class that can stack more than one shield...
    You get 30-54% modifiers on sp/wep damage, the best you can do on max mag/stam is 8%.
    Bound Aegis (8%) + Inner Light (the PVE Morph: 5%) + Undaunted (up to 6%) + Mages Guild Skils (up to 10%) = 29%

Not sure if I missed something but at least its possible to get to 29%, even such a build would be absolute nonsense because you had to slot skills that would be trash in PVP. But even without considering any buffs the standard 129 Spell Damage line is 23% stronger than the standard 1096 Magicka line.

So by crippling your whole build you can achieve about the same power with Max Magicka which you get with unbuffed spell damage...
    Edited by KilianDermoth on January 24, 2023 10:17PM
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, everyone has access to cloak with those potions, vampirism and crouch. So what did you want to say ?

Cloak is leagues ahead of streak, even dodge roll and especially Ball of Lightning. Lets compare shall we?

Cloak:
    - Provides 100% mitigation on all non-AoE Direct damage abilities cast on you (same thing as dodge roll).
    - Dodges ALL projectiles travelling towards you even if they were cast before you went invisible.
    - Prevents enemies from targeting you with abilities (nothing in the game does this on a spammable ability that doesn't have fatigue).
    - Grants a guaranteed crit on your next attack (or ability cast) from invis.
    - Acts as an on demand Line of Sight ability that can be used anywhere and at any time.
    - Has NO ramping cost
    - procs multiple other buffs including the unique +10% damage done, major resolve and max health, potential stun from stealth.
    - cost decreases as it levels up.

Streak:
    - Has ramping cost of 33% per cast
    - Provides no mitigation and only dodges melee attacks that have a cast time (dizzy swing)
    - Deals AoE damage (up to 40% less damage than some other AoE non ultimate skills)
    - Stuns enemies it hits (being a relocation skill it also is clunky to use offensively unlike stuns that other classes have especially considering the class is entirely single target where as warden with arctic at least has AoE options, it also struggles with every gap closer bug in the game during lag)
    - Has shorter distance travelled than all other gap closers (15m to everything else's 22m).

Ball of Lightning: (other morph of streak).
    - Avoids 1 projectile per second for 3 seconds (3 projectiles total) instead of all attacks for 5 seconds and preventing targeting for that 5 seconds as well.
    - Has ramping cost of 33% per cast.
    - Also has shorter travel distance, same as streak.
    - Recently got snare immunity added and is still not used because it got nerfed into ground so hard over the years.

Dodge roll:
    - Avoids all projectiles and direct damage (same as cloak).
    - Has ramping cost.
    - Has lots of CP and sets that revolve around this mechanic.
    - Is accessible on every class due to being a core combat mechanic.
    - Has abilities that buff it such as NB blur which has the potential to reduce its cost to 0.

Cloak is literally a combination of streak, BoL and dodge roll, with zero ramping (fatigue) cost and with additional effects, perks and ability to proc multiple passives, effects and buffs added on top for no reason.

If NB were to be treated like sorc, cloak would have been given a +66% per cast ramping cost at minimum, probably had its guaranteed crit removed, and no longer proc all the passives and effects that it currently procs. Not to mention shade would have been completely changed to no longer grant a teleport.

Also if shields were truly as overpowered as everyone on the forums keeps claiming them to be, then why isn't every other class using the light armor skill, the undaunted skill, resto shield, barrier, etc? The answer is they don't, because using shields is weaker than just healing with HoTs and burst heals.
    The reason sorcs shield stack is because the class has no other option defensively because the heals are so lackluster and unreliable that stacking shields + streak is required to make the healing work in the first place.

As for Dark cloak, that morph was overperforming so much it made vigor look bad by comparison. It needed the nerf (although it should have been left as a heal over time, not a changed to a stand still to get more healing HoT). NB also still has refreshing path which is a very strong HoT, but also provides insane utility including AoE major expedition, procs concealed's +10% damage done buff as long as it is up, and provides +15% mag and stam recovery.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From my point of view I see a lot of bias and misinformation in this thread. Am I denying that magsorc has lost viability? No. I just don't get the hyperbole. Is a well-played NB strong? Let's say it is. Has magsorc been overnerfed? Let's say it has. You got to roll with the times, though. Is a hybrid sorc that bad? Not in my experience. I think the classes are a lot closer than what much of this thread would have you believe.

Cloak isn't the panacea it's made out to be. It no longer suppresses DOT damage. It's also not true you can heal in Cloak. You will heal, if you have a HOT running or you get a Mara proc, but you can't burst heal. The only burst heal that doesn't uncloak you is Rally. Offering uncloaks you. Healing Ward uncloaks you. Regeneration uncloaks you. The effect this has on your gameplay is similar to the effect Dark Deal has on a sorc's gameplay. You either use the skill in combat anyway or you have to seek line of sight, e.g. if your combat situation is too overwhelming.

Fighting nightblades is merely different from fighting other classes. It takes experience and effort, especially if you go about it with, say, Magelight and Streak alone. Nonetheless, out of all the classes, experienced sorcs who have hunting nightblades down are some of the most dangerous opponents due to experienced use of Streak. Then again, all you really need is a detection potion used properly at the right time. Cloak is, then, completely countered. Saying that Cloak negates projectiles doesn't account for Cloak's brittleness. If your potion isn't ready and you aren't confident playing with Magelight / Hunter and Streak alone, you play defensively and bide your time. You conserve your resources. You strike when the nightblade is visible or you forced them to be visible.

As far as dodge rolls the nightblade attack toolkit shares exactly the same limitations. It's not AOE. You say you have to run your attack rotation 20 times perfectly? Welcome to the club. Most Assassin's Will / Scourge procs fail. Not just my own. I play a super squishy build. Do I sometimes get killed by another nightblade with that skill? Of course. More often than not I roll it or block it, because I hear the proc sounds, because I guess when they will use Incap or the spec bow. I can't tell you how many bows I have avoided.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my point of view I see a lot of bias and misinformation in this thread. Am I denying that magsorc has lost viability? No. I just don't get the hyperbole. Is a well-played NB strong? Let's say it is. Has magsorc been overnerfed? Let's say it has. You got to roll with the times, though. Is a hybrid sorc that bad? Not in my experience. I think the classes are a lot closer than what much of this thread would have you believe.

Cloak isn't the panacea it's made out to be. It no longer suppresses DOT damage. It's also not true you can heal in Cloak. You will heal, if you have a HOT running or you get a Mara proc, but you can't burst heal. The only burst heal that doesn't uncloak you is Rally. Offering uncloaks you. Healing Ward uncloaks you. Regeneration uncloaks you. The effect this has on your gameplay is similar to the effect Dark Deal has on a sorc's gameplay. You either use the skill in combat anyway or you have to seek line of sight, e.g. if your combat situation is too overwhelming.

Fighting nightblades is merely different from fighting other classes. It takes experience and effort, especially if you go about it with, say, Magelight and Streak alone. Nonetheless, out of all the classes, experienced sorcs who have hunting nightblades down are some of the most dangerous opponents due to experienced use of Streak. Then again, all you really need is a detection potion used properly at the right time. Cloak is, then, completely countered. Saying that Cloak negates projectiles doesn't account for Cloak's brittleness. If your potion isn't ready and you aren't confident playing with Magelight / Hunter and Streak alone, you play defensively and bide your time. You conserve your resources. You strike when the nightblade is visible or you forced them to be visible.

As far as dodge rolls the nightblade attack toolkit shares exactly the same limitations. It's not AOE. You say you have to run your attack rotation 20 times perfectly? Welcome to the club. Most Assassin's Will / Scourge procs fail. Not just my own. I play a super squishy build. Do I sometimes get killed by another nightblade with that skill? Of course. More often than not I roll it or block it, because I hear the proc sounds, because I guess when they will use Incap or the spec bow. I can't tell you how many bows I have avoided.

Dot damage was nerfed recently to buff NB. I run double damage poisons on my sorc just for NB. It is the one and only counter against cloak.

Dark deal has a cast time. Streak has a ramping cost. Cloak has no ramping cost. Healthy offering has no cast time. There is nothing a sorc can do which a NB can't do better and you actually want to compare both classes :D
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cloak is leagues ahead of streak, even dodge roll and especially Ball of Lightning. Lets compare shall we?

Cloak:
    - Provides 100% mitigation on all non-AoE Direct damage abilities cast on you (same thing as dodge roll).
    - Dodges ALL projectiles travelling towards you even if they were cast before you went invisible.
    - Prevents enemies from targeting you with abilities (nothing in the game does this on a spammable ability that doesn't have fatigue).
    - Grants a guaranteed crit on your next attack (or ability cast) from invis.
    - Acts as an on demand Line of Sight ability that can be used anywhere and at any time.
    - Has NO ramping cost
    - procs multiple other buffs including the unique +10% damage done, major resolve and max health, potential stun from stealth.
    - cost decreases as it levels up.

Streak:
    - Has ramping cost of 33% per cast
    - Provides no mitigation and only dodges melee attacks that have a cast time (dizzy swing)
    - Deals AoE damage (up to 40% less damage than some other AoE non ultimate skills)
    - Stuns enemies it hits (being a relocation skill it also is clunky to use offensively unlike stuns that other classes have especially considering the class is entirely single target where as warden with arctic at least has AoE options, it also struggles with every gap closer bug in the game during lag)
    - Has shorter distance travelled than all other gap closers (15m to everything else's 22m).

Ball of Lightning: (other morph of streak).
    - Avoids 1 projectile per second for 3 seconds (3 projectiles total) instead of all attacks for 5 seconds and preventing targeting for that 5 seconds as well.
    - Has ramping cost of 33% per cast.
    - Also has shorter travel distance, same as streak.
    - Recently got snare immunity added and is still not used because it got nerfed into ground so hard over the years.

Dodge roll:
    - Avoids all projectiles and direct damage (same as cloak).
    - Has ramping cost.
    - Has lots of CP and sets that revolve around this mechanic.
    - Is accessible on every class due to being a core combat mechanic.
    - Has abilities that buff it such as NB blur which has the potential to reduce its cost to 0.

Cloak is literally a combination of streak, BoL and dodge roll, with zero ramping (fatigue) cost and with additional effects, perks and ability to proc multiple passives, effects and buffs added on top for no reason.

If NB were to be treated like sorc, cloak would have been given a +66% per cast ramping cost at minimum, probably had its guaranteed crit removed, and no longer proc all the passives and effects that it currently procs. Not to mention shade would have been completely changed to no longer grant a teleport.

Also if shields were truly as overpowered as everyone on the forums keeps claiming them to be, then why isn't every other class using the light armor skill, the undaunted skill, resto shield, barrier, etc? The answer is they don't, because using shields is weaker than just healing with HoTs and burst heals.
    The reason sorcs shield stack is because the class has no other option defensively because the heals are so lackluster and unreliable that stacking shields + streak is required to make the healing work in the first place.

As for Dark cloak, that morph was overperforming so much it made vigor look bad by comparison. It needed the nerf (although it should have been left as a heal over time, not a changed to a stand still to get more healing HoT). NB also still has refreshing path which is a very strong HoT, but also provides insane utility including AoE major expedition, procs concealed's +10% damage done buff as long as it is up, and provides +15% mag and stam recovery.

Its almost unreal that NB mains actually compare NB with other classes in the game

Right now, NB literally has the lowest skill ceiling in the history of the game. You accidentally kill players on this class.

I pick the class and can straightaway 1vX. Its literally pick your target and count till 5. Combo missed ? No problem , cloak , shade and start counting again lol. Combo hit , great ! pick next target.... and the list goes on and on.

One small trick for all NB mains overcomplicating this class. Just be smart about your shade and you have unlocked god mode on this class