The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can I install ESO on Windows 11

DeltaForce64x
DeltaForce64x
✭✭✭
I have an laptop with win11 installed as OS, can I download and install (non Steam), am I going to get mission impossible like problems and do I end up installing Windows 10 instead while knowing nothing about it? Thank you for answers.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on December 6, 2022 4:54AM
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running win11 and ESO Client works just fine, although I have Steam as well but that's separate.

If your laptop came with win11 I might recommend against dialing back to an earlier OS but with that said no one can truly predict how everything will work out. (Especially with windows :D)
    "Today victory is mine. Long live the Empire."
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can vouch for the fact that ESO runs fine on Windows 11 without Steam. Having said that, I'm on a desktop, not a laptop, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by AzuraFan on December 4, 2022 8:30PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unlike Valorant, you can run ESO on Windows 11 without having to go into your BIOS.
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've played ESO on 3 laptops with windows 11.

1. Gaming laptop
    2. Iris Xe laptop (don't expect much)
    3. AMD Intergrated graphics laptop (don't expect much)

Itc works....just know if it's not a gaming laptop with a great gpu, you'll be dialing back the graphics settings big time.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running ESO in Windows 11-- from the Steam launcher, not that that should make any difference.

My only suggestions are to (1) pause Windows Updates while playing ESO and (2) disable the "Roaming Aggressiveness" setting on your WiFi network driver if you're connecting with WiFi instead of a wired connection-- but those suggestions apply to other versions of Windows; they aren't specific to Windows 11.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My new laptop came with W11 and I CBA to wipe it and install W10.

ESO works fine :smile:
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it'll work fine. I do that with 0 issues.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can. I recently upgrade to Win11 and I didnt find any issues different from win10. It works fine with steam and without steam.
    Really sorry for my english
  • Lykeion
    Lykeion
    ✭✭✭✭
    sure you can do it. I'm one of those running ESO with W11 and I haven't had any problems with this so far
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am running W11 on my new (2 week old) PC and ESO performs real good.

I do have switched off the Windows Game Mode (is switched on at installing W11), because of bad experiences with the W10 Game Mode version, but I do hear positive comments on the W11 version.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I will be stopping the Game Mode and will do everything in my power to stop Windows Update services on my Win11 since I own a Home edition, so gpedit.msc not up for me. Then I will start downloading the ESO on my laptop.

Remember when back we as consumers were able to turn off Windows Update with a simple click on Windows XP? I do, good times.

Thank you all

• DeltaForce64x
    DeltaForce64x
    ✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    I am running W11 on my new (2 week old) PC and ESO performs real good.

I do have switched off the Windows Game Mode (is switched on at installing W11), because of bad experiences with the W10 Game Mode version, but I do hear positive comments on the W11 version.

Lol you have a cute forum signature, for real though, I was also surprised when we did evac of the village we started as a new character, I think Captain Rana said something about the manpower the village had, it wasn't enough to defend as far as I remember.

Her Sergeant also mentioned funny response when player talk to her after defeating completely the land invasion, "don't you worry, I take good care my family" with a laugh at the end.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, you don't ever want to turn off Windows Update completely, because then you'll miss important updates.

However, it's simple to pause Windows Update. There's a button that lets you pause updates for a week, and if updates are already paused then it adds another week to the length of the pause; the date on which updates will automatically resume is clearly shown.

There's another button that lets you resume (unpause) updates, and if updates are already unpaused then it lets you do an immediate check for updates.

I'm not sure, but I think the automatic checks for updates to the antivirus database will continue unabated even if Windows Update is paused, but those usually download and install very quickly in the background without causing any issues. It's the larger and longer system updates which can sometimes be problematic when gaming online.

I normally resume updates at least once a week-- usually on a Tuesday, since that's normally the day that updates get posted-- and then pause them again before I begin a lengthy play session.

If I think about it, I also like to run a quick antivirus scan before I launch the game, because it seems like the system will run a check on its own if it sees that one hasn't been run in a while, and I'd rather run one on-demand while the game isn't running to head off the likelihood of one being run by the system while I'm in the middle of something intense in the game.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @DeltaForce64x

As mentioned above, ESO is supported on Windows 11. If you are running into any specific issues please let us know.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post