The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion: add a furnishing bag as an ESO Plus benefit

• alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've jumped into a different universe again...For real, did they not say this during a stream a while back, or did my brain make it up?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7666525/#Comment_7666525
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Hamfast wrote: »
    How about a piece of furniture like the storage chests, but bigger, special collectible like the chests but limited to only furniture items and has several hundred spots in it.... call it a Zos POD.

Why put a limit on what can be put into the chest? Let us choose for ourselves. For me, the furniture chest would be useless as I use the free homes to store what I am not using. Just add a few more chests, in general, to help with storage, and we decide what goes into it.

because those chests also take up valuable furnishing slots, that are part of the collectible furnishings

we already have well over 200 collectible furnishings at this point (mainly between undaunted trophies and statuettes they give ESO+ members every month)

right now based on the amount of furnishing blueprints we can learn (~2500), i think its definitely still higher than the amount of different crafting materials

the total amount of crafting materials we have right now is probably only around 10% of the total amount of furnishing blueprints we can learn (at least 120 for style mats, and then another 100 -150 for everything else (lvl 1-cp160 raw and refined mats, tempers, trait mats, and the abysmal unrefined tempers and trait mats for jewelry crafting, etc))
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Would be nice as its obvious we are not getting more chests.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A furnishing bag would be better than a physical coffer since the bag counts as bank space.

Addons like Essential Housing Tools allow you to load different presets you've saved for your house layout. It pulls items from your bank and inventory to do so, but it obviously cannot open a coffer and pull them out of there, so in this particular case, which is a significant one, there would almost be no point.

Unless ZOS allowed us to buy multiple versions of the same house to have different stuff in, then a bank bag would be the best way to make this a reality.

My Moonsugar Meadow is a summerset vale with a fancy but humble house situated on a cliff edge. It's really cool, but now I can't make anything new there because I don't have the bank space to save that house as a preset, stash all the furnishings, and make something else to save as a second preset.
    20221028_113941.jpg

Same with my Stillwaters. It's a Falmer library based on TESV Falmer architecture built on a massive cliff. It's really cool, but I can't do anything else with that house, and I have a bunch of characters that need cool houses. (this is a wip image, I didn't have a finished screenshot on my phone, since I'm not at home while typing this).
    20221028_114016.jpg

And I'm currently building Apocrypha in the Coldharbour Surreal Estate, and likewise, won't be able to do anything else with it after.
    eso64_2022-10-26_23-59-47.jpg
    Edited by Vylaera on October 28, 2022 4:45PM
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really is weird considering we're given the ability to buy so many houses that we can't even store all our furniture. The massive summerset house in Arataeum alone is enough to fill my bank space with every piece of furniture in it if I tried to swap out and majorly change the look of any section of the house... I really do think having ESO+ members automatically deposit furnishing into a furnishing bag, similar to a craft bag which can be accessed just like the craft bag, e.g. from the inventory as necessary and also have those furnishings be available for when you're furnishing your house would be fantastic.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off, the Zos POD was funny, then again, many may not even know what PODs are... and the picture I found was really small...so much for that idea.

I am currently up to 3 houses I use for storage, perhaps 4, but the last is small, and I am just not spending the time I should organizing them, but ZOS already has the tools, look at how the crown furniture store works.

From my way of thinking, in game furniture of all types is already in the database someplace and can be retrieved as needed to place in a house regardless of if it fits. feel free to drop a Summerset Glass House in your little apartment (and if you don't have the glass house, I have a couple sitting in my cold harbor surreal estate, or as I call it "Junk house 2")

While I may own a lot of houses, I am not much of a decorator (That is my Wife's fun) but I do go through periods... but it would be a lot easier to get into that mood if I could drop a box (Perhaps a huge white box with ZOS POD in red on the side) open it up and be able to sort through all of my current unplaced furniture items and find just the right one to put in that corner. ZOS could even get creative and have the huge white box be "Delivered" to your courtyard by a huge flying beast... oh, wait, some houses don't have yards, let alone space for an Ash Titan... come to think of it, apartments would not even have room for the Huge White Box...

How many slots and what limits on the types of items could be worked out, but like the craft bag, one slot would be all that would be needed for all 300 Daedric thrones, instead of the 300 slots in my house, but if I pull 40 of them out of storage, I better have 40 slots open to put them in (just as the craft bag limits me to pull out only up to 200 Bugloss at a time even if I have over 3000 of them) or perhaps it would just be easier to only allow the removal of 1 item at a time... whatever works...

While I would like this storage item to be able to hold all my unused furniture items (I think I need about 2500 just to cover my junk houses) I could see setting a limit on the size, and if ZOS wants to monetize this item, how about 2 or 3 versions, one for ESO plus that is like the craft bag and holds everything, and others in the crown store that have a limited number of entries (Smaller ZOS PODs) for those who are not willing to pay for ESO Plus (Small white box, big white box, and a HUGE white box)

And for those folks that like to redecorate houses like they their armor (or costume/outfit) perhaps a function that "Stores all furniture" in the house at a click... I would have loved this feature with a couple of my junk houses just to get rid of the burnt trees and rocks (I needed the space for my junk, not the junk that came with the house) even better, I would not have had to destroy all those rocks and burnt trees just in case I wanted to decorate a future house with a burnt rocky dead forest... they would have all been in my ZOS POD
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a very hard time relating to this. I keep all my Furnishings that aren't being used in my bank. This way no matter which house I am in I have access to all my Furnishings.

Even though I have no storage issues I have been selling furnishings I may never use just so I don't have to keep sorting through them when I am looking for a particular piece. Most of what I have in there is easy enough to replace if I decide I want it later.

I can't imagine having multiple 700 slot houses full of furniture not being used.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 28, 2022 5:54PM
    PCNA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or players could sell furnishings that have been taking up space and will probably never be used, and make some $$ in the process.

The issue is bound furnishings cannot be sold. Players have purchased furnishings with real money to use in their homes. They change things for the season for because a new or more interesting furniture set is sold but runs out of room.

That is the issue. Not furniture that can be sold easily.

Do players really redecorate their homes for the season? I spend a lot of time decorating and once a house is finished I am not going to pull up my hard work to change it for seasons that don't happen in Tamriel.

Yes. Just as some like myself find decorating a home tedious and without purpose. I only use a home for crafting stations, chest storage, and DPS dummies. It is no different than people like myself having no interest in playing the card game, yet others seem addicted to it.

The game has people with very different interests playing it.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    How about a piece of furniture like the storage chests, but bigger, special collectible like the chests but limited to only furniture items and has several hundred spots in it.... call it a Zos POD.

Why put a limit on what can be put into the chest? Let us choose for ourselves. For me, the furniture chest would be useless as I use the free homes to store what I am not using. Just add a few more chests, in general, to help with storage, and we decide what goes into it.

because those chests also take up valuable furnishing slots, that are part of the collectible furnishings

we already have well over 200 collectible furnishings at this point (mainly between undaunted trophies and statuettes they give ESO+ members every month)

right now based on the amount of furnishing blueprints we can learn (~2500), i think its definitely still higher than the amount of different crafting materials

the total amount of crafting materials we have right now is probably only around 10% of the total amount of furnishing blueprints we can learn (at least 120 for style mats, and then another 100 -150 for everything else (lvl 1-cp160 raw and refined mats, tempers, trait mats, and the abysmal unrefined tempers and trait mats for jewelry crafting, etc))

This is not a reason to limit a new chest design to only permit furnishings.

We are not talking about a furnishing bag that is unlimited like the crafting bag. We are talking about a suggestion to add another chest (or a few chests) to provide additional limited storage. As such it is logical to keep that storage set to the same rules as similar storage we have in the game. There is every benefit to such a design and no drawback as everyone wins.

• SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they can have a 'homeowner's crate' on test server...they can have a furniture crate on live. There is no excuse for this quality-of-life oversight.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they can have a 'homeowner's crate' on test server...they can have a furniture crate on live. There is no excuse for this quality-of-life oversight.

Due to the comparatively small population on the test server, the server load is insignificant compared to the live server. As such, the comparison is not valid in this case.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if they can have over 200 guild traders with fully stocked stores, plus a craft bag for every plus subscriber, and they continue to add new traders in each new zone, and they are obviously incentivizing more people to get ESO plus by running free plus weeks, meaning more craft bags and more bank size bonuses for everyone who longs in, then I don't believe that the reason this hasn't be implemented is because of server constraints. I think that's likely just something plausible they could say so people would stop asking.
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vylaera wrote: »
    Also, if they can have over 200 guild traders with fully stocked stores, plus a craft bag for every plus subscriber, and they continue to add new traders in each new zone, and they are obviously incentivizing more people to get ESO plus by running free plus weeks, meaning more craft bags and more bank size bonuses for everyone who longs in, then I don't believe that the reason this hasn't be implemented is because of server constraints. I think that's likely just something plausible they could say so people would stop asking.

Many of your points are good points to support the claim Zenimax has made. The size of the query is looking at is what matters about the load it causes. The number of guild traders is not crucial as the guild trading system is decentralized, making the query size smaller than if we had a centralized trading system. This is why we get reasonably quick searches from the guild traders. With storage, Zenimax chose to increase our storage with chests and have them separate from our bank. This makes sense as it keeps the query size smaller.

So when Zenimax stated that there were significantly more unique items for furnishings than crafting items, and that would increase the server load due to the larger query, it is very plausible and follows the logical system with databases.

Further, We have seen that doubling the bank storage and the crafting bags are the biggest driving factors for subscribing. That leads to a furniture bag for ESO+ that would do nothing but sweeten that pot further. That leads to the logic that there is a more compelling reason for Zenimax not to add such a feature which would be the load it would put on the servers at a time when Zenimiax is trying not to make things worse while they work trying to make things better.

So we can hope that the work Zenimax is doing will greatly improve server performance, and if it does, they will revisit adding such a feature.

Ofc, I could be completely wrong about Zenimax on this topic, and it may be that they just do not want to be bothered creating such a feature even though they have done 90% of the work to make it happen. After all, they have done most of the work required for making a furnishing bag like the crafting bag.

• MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be so genuinely happy with this but I know for a fact that Zo$ would capitalise on this and then bump up the price of eso+ for no reason even though a lot more people would buy into it.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be so genuinely happy with this but I know for a fact that Zo$ would capitalise on this and then bump up the price of eso+ for no reason even though a lot more people would buy into it.

They did not bump up the price of ESO+ with the crafting bag or the double bank space. As such there is no basis for thinking they would if they added a furniture bag.