The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Has a companion made you a better player?

Kng_Ayumayuma
Kng_Ayumayuma
✭✭✭
I feel I was a better player before using a companion. I was much more on my game. As pitiful as that might be. Now, I rely on my companion too much. When a really tough competitor comes along I'm not as prepared as I used to be. I'm not saying companions should be nerfed or anything like that. Just that I've become lax.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT:: I would like to add that playing with a companion is more fun for me. I have learned from my companion too.
Edited by Kng_Ayumayuma on October 19, 2022 12:49PM
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 100% better now with companions. Having a companion plus bear let me try and finish content that I never could do before. Having another pet there to take the pressure off me while I figure things out is helpful.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may make it easier for some since it is a source of help, but it does not do anything to improve our ability to play.

I do like the companion system so not speaking against it.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes actually, having a companion has helped me get better. It's a small thing but getting positive reinforcement from a companion when I get bash right has helped with my timing. How did I get many years into ESO without properly sorting out my bash timing? Not having anyone explain it to me properly that's how - my main experience was being yelled at in dungeons so I never quite got it right. Now I can use a companion when I want to try content out or when I want try out my build without other players giving 'feedback'. There's no stakes if I make a mistake so I don't have to worry about it.
    Edited by Treselegant on October 18, 2022 5:24PM
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, I feel anyone who has done vMA or something similar solo wise typically don't need anything they provide. The only role i find useful from them is healing since its actually decent.
    Curly wrote: »
    I'm not saying companions should be nerfed or anything like that.

If they get nerfed in any way, I've lost all hope in the combat team, they need a rework gameplay wise personally.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for starting this thread, @Curly. These responses have been interesting to read so far. Would love to hear any other examples from the community noting if companions have made them a better player and how.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make me a better player? me personally i would say no, but they do help add more dmg/heals or provide a tank depending on which character im running and what content im running

are the companions good in all content? no not really because they are not immune to all dungeon mechanics they are almost certain to die during some fights because they are too dumb to actually follow mechanics

i could see a tank companion giving good practice for someone learning how to heal, because they dont have strong self heals, they stand in stupid all the time
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    Mik195 wrote: »
    I'm 100% better now with companions. Having a companion plus bear let me try and finish content that I never could do before. Having another pet there to take the pressure off me while I figure things out is helpful.
    I do agree with this. I can finish content I couldn't before and it does take the pressure off. But NOT because I'm better. For me the game is more fun now.
    Amottica wrote: »
    It may make it easier for some since it is a source of help, but it does not do anything to improve our ability to play.
    I do like the companion system so not speaking against it.
    This!
    The other posters all make valid points as well.

Thanks Kevin.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching Mirri in combat taught me a lot. I discovered how to dodge roll and keep my distance from the nasties. Honestly I didn't dodge roll before as I most often casually light attacked and died quite often. Looking at her skills made me aware of my own rotation.

Well now I practice weaving, roll-dodging and my archers DPS rating has jumped considerably.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only time I notice my companion is when they pull enemies out of my ultimate. They are useless in any content that is remotely challenging other than maybe the occasional DLC world boss solo. Even then, I am better without them. A healer companion can be a crutch for a haphazard build, but a proper solo build does not need a companion for anything. In Group Content, its all a moot point as they are completely useless.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It did not affect my game play at all. But i have seen many other people using them while questing.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and no.

Yes I get more damage out since companions will bonk things, but no in that it has not improved my skills at all. If anything they're kinda like a 3rd ability bar you have little control over that's prone to dying more often than not.

I still use them for unlocking their passives, but I prefer to not have them out tbh.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No effect on my play as unsummoning 'em the moment all achievements associated with them are done for most times until need a "fashion" buddy.
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curly wrote: »
    I feel I was a better player before using a companion. I was much more on my game. As pitiful as that might be. Now, I rely on my companion too much. When a really tough competitor comes along I'm not as prepared as I used to be. I'm not saying companions should be nerfed or anything like that. Just that I've become lax.

What are your thoughts?

Companions like Mirri helped me learn more about how buffs in the game worked. Companion's like Isobel taught me the importance of using bash to interrupt an enemy. Companion's like Bastian made me realize not everyone enjoys cheese. Companion's like Ember helped me see the value of friendship and sticking with people no matter what from side quests.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy companions and have mine out all the time but they don't seem to have really improved or worsened anything, in terms of what I'm able to complete. Fights go quicker and can be less intense, which is nice. Otherwise, things that kill me will just kill them first now and then kill me a little bit later. I'm a casual, solo player so mainly world bosses, but recently I was shocked when I died to a delve boss (The Firepot one) for the first time in ages.
  • HedgeHugger
    HedgeHugger
    ✭✭✭
    All the dungeons I've ever done has been me and my OH.
    We learned to play as all-rounders, having to keep ourselves (and each other) alive while doing the content. Both DPS.
    We could duo all the base vet dungeons, apart from Banished Cells 2.
    Then along came companions. A pair of Bastians as Tanks. Crypt of Hearts felt like cheating!! We'd never had the experience of a tank before. Since then we learned that sometimes a human tank is superior, but comps will do for most.

Recently we've been duo-ing all the vet DLC's. Took us 6 hours today in Castle Thorn, but we got there in the end. First time finishing on vet.
    The companions have been a help in most of them. They do have their uses, especially if a boss will target them instead of us. It gives a bit of breathing space. Some Vet dungeons can be relentless at times when there is just 2 of you.

We've improved as players, but that comes with experience. Not because we have companions.
    Sometimes the companions die, and you learn there is no point picking them up because they will just keel over again.

Would be cool if we could have 3 companions each and attempt some of the trials. We've duo'ed Atherian Archive until the last boss before calling quits on it.

They do have their comedy moments too.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only time I notice my companion is when they pull enemies out of my ultimate. They are useless in any content that is remotely challenging other than maybe the occasional DLC world boss solo. Even then, I am better without them. A healer companion can be a crutch for a haphazard build, but a proper solo build does not need a companion for anything. In Group Content, its all a moot point as they are completely useless.

This resonated with me. I really keep them around as a mascot at this point, I bring them out to raise rapport mostly because I'd like to passively complete their quests... I like it when I hear random quotes in-game. I like items like the Grievous Leeching Ward and I sometimes pick up (but never complete) the Phantom Guilt quest in Grahtwood- I wish the effect where it keeps trying to guilt you persists through logging out- I find it comedic. When I want to hear quotes in-game, I typically do these things or bring a companion out.
    Edited by Dr_Con on October 18, 2022 9:17PM
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it when I’ve grouped all the enemies together dropped my ground dots and 3 of them bolt out of them to chase Ember around a corner. This is what bugs me the most about the companion system.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to experience walls of lag periodically, where the game stops for a good 10 seconds before everything catches back up and I'm staring at 999+ latency. This happens more frequently while watching videos or streaming music on the second monitor, obviously I'm not going to stop doing that so that's the price I pay. It happens regularly even if I'm not running anything else too; it's probably my connection and being on wifi instead of directly connected.

I build my characters to a point to handle the walls of lag specifically like I stopped using Ultimate abilities entirely so I get the most out of "Strategic Reserve" 500 Ultimate equals 1500 health recovery, an additional 90 from Rejuvenation, and another 150 recovery from Sustained By Suffering. It offsets the amount of damage I take when I lose control for those 10 seconds, when I regain control I'm not halfway dead as the game keeps recovering health. I then slot Ultimate abilities that have a passive effect like Werewolf, Dawnbreaker, Meteor, Bear, or Incapacitating Strike; since I'm not using them might as well get something out of it being slotted.

When in combat I'm basically a target dummy for mobs, companions are great as they tend to either draw attention away from me or outright kill everything around me when I regain control. For my characters who have pets its even more fun watching 2-3 other bodies go off on their own attacking whatever they want. I rarely heavy attack letting them pick who they want to fight unless I want something seriously dead like those giant abomination mobs or final boss at dolmens.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been one to self shield, so having a Healer along really helps.

So, has it improved my play? No. Has it helped me take down World Bosses Solo? Yes.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    From my perspective its just been something to try out and finish up like a skill line, not in a hurry to do that of course. In the early times I was playing the game it was a tradition to solo all the base dungeons, it helped me learn mechanics in the dungeon and in the game itself. So i feel im better anyway, to me i see it as keeping an eye on the companion and making sure they dont die if i can help it like a new player pretty much which ive done off and on.😀
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do appreciate the little help I get from them. They help me improve by giving me a bit of breathing space while getting used to new/challenging content. Or maybe it's just emotional support, who knows.
    We've improved as players, but that comes with experience. Not because we have companions.
    I'd agree with this.

I do wish tank companions were better able to survive DLC dungeons, I'd rather be learning mechanics than playing healer to my companion. It would also be great if pin-down mechanics could randomly target the companion instead of the player.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    definitely a lazier player now when it comes to world-bosses because they can tank while i kill everything.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • correctamundo
    correctamundo
    ✭✭
    Companions to me are travelling company for my characters. They haven't really changed much - if at all - how I approach the game mechanics vise. 🙂 So I never go without companions nowadays.👍
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are fun to have out, but they can't be used in the most difficult content... Except.

Playing alongside a companion has improved my awareness of other players, and the impact of group buffs, which does improve my playing in trials or PVP.

Companions can die, or wander off, so instead of focussing just on myself I find myself shepherding them now. In trials and PVP I get less "tunnel-vision" , so I can really assess what other players are doing.

Testing companion mechanics is fun. It's really made me notice how easy it was to miss/drop with Olorime, powerful assault, etc. Seeing companion damage number shoot up is clear feedback. I've made two builds specifically to work alongside companions, and any deliberate theory-crafting will improve your understanding of the game.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions have improved my play. My tank when running solo, now has someone to protect, keep the heat off and even get some much needed damage. My healers love having a dps or even moreso a tank companion to keep healthy as they do their job. I enjoy running solo with my companion but, oddly enough, also like the support aspects the game allows. Companions enhance that a good deal for me and I consider them a great addition to the game.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they've made me better or worse necessarily. They do make some of the content a bit less tedious at times. Like boss positioning, not having to block mechanics solo. But everything I can solo with a companion I can solo without the companion. And the things that I might not be able to solo without the companion have more to do with interrupt mechanics than with skill. Like the WB in the Deadlands that pins you. If you keep your companion close, they can interrupt that, otherwise you just die solo on that fight. The rest of that fight is a cake walk without a companion.

Up until recently though, I only specced companions to be DPS. So most of my companion experience involves companions who are largely only out to provide companion gear drops, as their DPS is pitiful and they die the moment an enemy looks at them. During the high isle event, I decided to respec Isobel to a tank to try to take advantage of the potential to just dummy parse dungeon bosses while solo. Which usually works for like half of most boss fights before she is dead and I am just soloing the boss without the companion anyways.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A better player? With the aid of Bastian's moral guidance I have become a better person o:);)
    PC EU
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A better player? With the aid of Bastian's moral guidance I have become a better person o:);)

uhog1hxupqxu.jpg
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say it's a net positive as it makes some of the harder content more doable which makes it more appealing to try and learn from doing it.

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything, it has made me a lazier player, for easier content anyway. Nowadays if there is a boss I can fight on my own, I still summon Bastian anyway for an easier time. For harder content, he's not very useful though, so it hasn't made a difference there.