The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Has a companion made you a better player?

• mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like pets i suggest to use Morkuldin + Maw + Darkness. And sorc. I just looked at how it works... it was a bit silly to have all that horde, but they can kill overland stuff pretty quick by themselves. Even some world bosses if you cast 1-2 ground HOTs.
    c2353mkpf668.jpg
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've only used companions as long as I can rank them up for the passives, except Ember since her passive is a permanent nerf to pickpocketing so I hear. Similarly, I wish I hadn't unlocked Bastian's passive, it only generates enough potent potions to hog 3 extra slots of inventory space but not enough to practically use.

Tank Isobel is probably the most useful companion I've had so far though, probably because her abilities are decent. But I can't really say any of them "helped me become a better player", at best I've found some very niche applications for their heals and occasional interrupts to overcome a minor group mechanic. Isobel will still die easily in anything without slotting a group heal though so I'm often soloing stuff after she dies anyway.

On a side note, it feels like they have buffed a number of World Bosses across Tamriel recently. Bosses in Deshaan seem a lot tankier than before and Crowborne Horror is a lot harder than it was last year but still soloable. Either that or it was all the damage nerfs.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I've only used companions as long as I can rank them up for the passives, except Ember since her passive is a permanent nerf to pickpocketing so I hear. Similarly, I wish I hadn't unlocked Bastian's passive, it only generates enough potent potions to hog 3 extra slots of inventory space but not enough to practically use.

Sell them, it's free coin. You get a bit of money back in the same way you might get a bit of money from one of the other companion perks. It's definitely under-powered as a perk but as it looks like the devs gave Bastian as a companion less attention than the others, its not surprising.
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I solo pretty much so it's let me play with builds I've never attempted before and there's just the anxiety I have of playing with other real people. Been playing MMOs since 99 and I've notice more and more how I'm feeling better with an AI toon.
    At least I don't have to pay them gold like in EQ2.
    It's gave me more interest in trying to do WB with me and companion.
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasn't really made me a better player since anything I could do with a companion I could already solo but I like having them around nonetheless. I can see how they would be helpful, they're legitimately pretty good. If zos makes them a bit smarter when it comes to hostile aoes they'll be really good.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like having one around but any content where I could actually need some help they are too fragile and unreliable. So using a build or tactic that depends on a companion being around is simply not a good idea. I stopped caring if they die or not, slotting a heal just to try to keep them alive has a too big opportunity cost (especially with Oakensoul) and most likely won't be enough when they keep standing in stupid.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like riding with a companion but i wish we could call and stop them attacking. Isobel kills things I would leave, like bears, and you can't have them out if the quest is just to wound, they don't stop.

If fully leveled Isobel could be like a, say, 1500 cp player, that wld be useful. As it is, she tries to tank but she can't handle anything serious.
    Edited by Pelanora on October 28, 2022 9:42AM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »

If fully leveled Isobel could be like a, say, 1500 cp player, that wld be useful. As it is, she tries to tank but she can't handle anything serious.

A lot would already be achieved in a simple fashion when a tanking Companion gets before buffs a base Health of 40k.
    Let us choose an in the Companion menu configurable role for any companion resulting in a base buff.
    Tanky role: +10k Health
    DPS role: +20% Damage
    Healer role: +20% Heals and Damage Shields.

The real challenge I think is to improve the AI for Companions, for which there is I guess not much room for technical capacity reasons.
    However, with ZOS part of Microsoft there is a connection to cutting edge AI and I guess AI will also in games like ESO be of increasing long term value for Microsoft.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had access to cutting edge AI. Cause my "I" ain't what it used to be. Never was.
    Edited by Kng_Ayumayuma on October 28, 2022 12:03PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly PVP nowadays but when I do get involved in PVE it's nice to have either an extra tank, healer or DPS along to speed things up. I can see that were I into PVP it would be fun leveling them up and chasing all the extra gear (I bought mine at vendors).
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think they make you a better solo player, but they make your group build more viable for solo play.

A full tank build normally takes forever to kill anything at the usual 5k max dps. The same tank with a damage companion does much better, and gets to practice holding aggro. The healer or dps build can have a tanky companion to keep the boss away, etc.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »

A lot would already be achieved in a simple fashion when a tanking Companion gets before buffs a base Health of 40k.
    Let us choose an in the Companion menu configurable role for any companion resulting in a base buff.
    Tanky role: +10k Health
    DPS role: +20% Damage
    Healer role: +20% Heals and Damage Shields.
    Agree with the damage and healer parts, but in general, and especially for tanking, I think all companions could go the route of FFXIV and simply reduce all incoming damage by around 75% to allow for the absolutely moronic AI standing in AoEs and just facing tanking damage.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The companions have not made me a better player, but they helped me solo some dungeons I couldn‘t solo before their arrival, so: Yay!
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to have them around for a bit of RP feeling and companion gear drops.

Also before using companions I only rarely used pets, so they actually helped me to become better at pet controls and a little bit of micro management. I like to send them on strong enemies that must be interrupted.
    I like riding with a companion but i wish we could call and stop them attacking. Isobel kills things I would leave, like bears

You can use the sorcerer pet controls to call back your companions (without having to use heavy attack). Default control for PC is:
    • Tell them to Attack: hold Y, then LeftMouse Button (light attack)
    • Call them back: hold Y, then RightMouse Button (block)

You can change it in Controls.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol
  • Alekero
    Alekero
    ✭✭✭
    Well i played since 2014 and all those years i didnt rely on someone lol
    Companions is companions, just to feel you runnin with someone or like in SWTOR - care about. They are not powerful enough to beat some vets or make a difference in arenas. I think ZOS added it just to comfort casuals and ultra-solo players, so they could run normal dungeons without ppl. I like that tho
    Tank comps can help you beat bosses for daily (if you couldnt alone for ex.) but nothing extraordinary to boost player's skill.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My companion has allowed me to explore builds I once couldn't because I was so dependent on self-healing and shields for all content. Now I can set my companion to heals or tank and try different things to really learn my class.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really, the companions still cannot let me go past ICP levers or Direfrost plates, but there are some locations I can do now I couldnt before, like Blackheart solo without turning WW (companion keep me alive with hots between ults) or WGT (first boss does not reset when sent to jail while companion is present) and CoS second to last boss (ultgen is too low to constantly get out of the lock with Precognition, companion will bash the shade if I give them melee weapon and direct them with Y, tho its tricky). In all other cases they either stand in stupid and die or roll out boss range and reset it.
    Edited by robpr on November 23, 2022 7:38AM
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Idk how many flawless runs of vMA or how many vVH runs I've done. I've had to learn to be self-reliant, scrappy and DPS-y, so the companions don't really add anything to my gameplay but background noise. I tend to pull them out at the behest of friends, who find the extra little bit of pressure relief helpful. If they're helpful to my buddies, I appreciate them for that. I will confess, to that end, setting Bastion up with a taunt in one DLC dungeon and feeding him to a boss that had an insta-kill mechanic. 😛 It worked.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not better, no. But as a healer who is generally too lazy to make a DPS build for PvE it helps me get through stuff quicker and with less frustration. It's kind of nice to have another body there. Not less lonely as I'm not emotionally attached to my companion and it's not like playing with someone. But I feel kinda weird when I don't have one out. Like I forgot to put on my shoes or something.
    Edit to add: especially with the last two companions. They seem a little more enthusiastic and positive. I didn't particularly enjoy the first two they seemed to bring down the mood.
    Edited by Soraka on November 23, 2022 3:52PM
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has made me worse, due to reliance. I can get more heals or not always be the target.

But it does add another aspect to the game I enjoy. Time to think different when I play.

I would not be against making content more difficult or more mobs in instances with a companion to even it out.

And companions should also double as mounts - CARRY ME ISOBEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARRY ME UP THE MOUNTAIN ISOBEL!!! AND CARRY YOUR OWN CRAP!!!
    (i think it is funny, sorry)
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »
    Not better, no. But as a healer who is generally too lazy to make a DPS build for PvE it helps me get through stuff quicker and with less frustration. It's kind of nice to have another body there. Not less lonely as I'm not emotionally attached to my companion and it's not like playing with someone. But I feel kinda weird when I don't have one out. Like I forgot to put on my shoes or something.
    Edit to add: especially with the last two companions. They seem a little more enthusiastic and positive. I didn't particularly enjoy the first two they seemed to bring down the mood.

@Soraka I just started a healer. Which companion are you using? Which class did you go with on the healer?

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Keep'um coming.
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »

@Soraka I just started a healer. Which companion are you using? Which class did you go with on the healer?

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Keep'um coming.

I'm a warden healer. I've been using Ember recently because she's more fun, I don't really do a ton in pve so I kind of just rotate them out depending on what I'm doing or who I feel like leveling. Progress on my companions are very slow lol.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    The companions haven't made any difference. They are dead quickly so from my perspective there is no difference vs not using them. I also don't need them for anything. I only use them because there are in-game achievements attached to them.
  • Triplesixtyson
    Triplesixtyson
    ✭✭✭
    I play the same companion or not. The main effect my companion has is making things die faster thats about it. I couldnt say it makes me better or worse but i can say i love my companions.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelle412 wrote: »
    The companions haven't made any difference. They are dead quickly so from my perspective there is no difference vs not using them. I also don't need them for anything. I only use them because there are in-game achievements attached to them.

If you build them right, they can tank vet dungeons and most world bosses.
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Is it the gear or the player? I'm guessing I could have the best of everything and you could still beat me naked. Your character, not you.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you need purple gear for that? Because mine still dies in normal DLC dungeons, unless I'm really vigilant in healing, which is not my favourite thing to do when soloing.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭

That may very well be so but I don't solo vet dungeons and world bosses I can solo without companions. I plan to use them because there is in-game content and achievements associated with them.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It is just more conveniant sometimes