The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

MAKE OWN COMPANION BUY IN STORE,, OOO

EozZoe1989
EozZoe1989
✭✭✭
THIS BE COOL,. TO do because if could create own companion from like custom character creation it be cool beacuse then can create how they look feel and sound.. ..
what backgrounds,, and family also .. were from , and so on would be amusing and amazing this would make a great difference to the the game..
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 27, 2022 11:05PM
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everything has to be tied to the Cash Shop.

I don't think the level of customization you want will ever be available. They seem to be releasing personalities as a selling feature for the chapters. Also, heads, as that is another aspect that can't be altered unless you get a different companion. So, it makes buying a new chapter more appealing if, say, the sassy Khajiit you always wanted was available, or the party bro Orc companion was released as an adventure buddy.

• DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Zathras_ wrote: »

Given that is the business model and the business model is insanely successful currently....
  • Abelon
    Abelon
    ✭✭✭✭
    DagenHawk wrote: »

Given that is the business model and the business model is insanely successful currently....

Yes and maybe we shouldn't encourage it even further. That's aside from the fact that companions aren't free at the moment either... They are paywalled behind the chapters. I fail to see why we should start putting them in the Crown Store.
    EozZoe1989 wrote: »
    THIS BE COOL,. TO do because if could create own companion from like custom character creation it be cool beacuse then can create how they look feel and sound.. ..
    what backgrounds,, and family also .. were from , and so on

And then there's the matter of voicing them... And the matter of writing stories... for... custom created npcs? How is that going to work exactly?
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    well ai .. lol or people voicing them lol-- like basic.. and small words like it can be done for companions if they wanted too they could have a story line and story just like others.. its up to them if they do this then people like to make own companions and make them look cool like us..
    i think this will bring more people to play the game alot people like to create own .. and i think they love the idea..
    its easy to make up quests and story for basic use..
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could do what Guildwars 1 did - Allow us to use our ALT chars as companions. Would not need a backstory or voice acting. Our own playable chars NEVER speak, they only grunt or cheer now and then. So there is no reason that our Alt chars being used as companions would have to speak either.

In fact a lot of people would even prefer they didn't speak at all. I don't know how many times I have missed quest NPC's talking because my stupid companion blurted out something at that exact moment. And yes, even with subtitles on I still hated missing it.

I am all for this.

If they put this feature in the Crown Store they would DOUBLE profit from it - people paying for the service as well as buying more char slots to create more Alt companions - very big win for ZOS imo.
    Edited by Paulytnz on June 24, 2022 2:29PM
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For everything to be tied to the Cash Shop? This isn't Zynga or Pearl Abyss..yet. That said, the Cash Shop has been getting more focus over the years. Maybe your wish will come true.
    Edited by _Zathras_ on June 24, 2022 3:37PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to have my characters as house guests and yes, even companions for my player. And no, they would not need to put in dialog.
    It would just be fun to run around with my character as a companion. My wife would have so much fun with that idea.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would this work with their stories and dialogues though? From a game design perspective, I mean?
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think there should be a companion, just one, at least, for base/vanilla players.
    I don't think any type of gameplay mechanics should be locked behind a paywal (Transmute stations, companions, excavations, tales of tribune)
    I think adding one companion for all vanilla zones would be ideal.
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should make base game companions from the mages, fighters and undaunted. The two who come with each chapter from Blackwood onwards and then maybe one from the Crown Store that doesn't have quests/upgrades but you can fully customise. I think that would be the best way to enable companions for everyone to be happiest.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue would be the skills and gear - kitting an alt out in full trial gear would not be the "assist but not replace a trained player" idea that Companions were designed for in the first place. That's why their skills are slightly different than player skills even though they have mostly the same effects/animations, why they have their own unique gear with unique attributes, cooldowns instead of resources, etc.

What I can see them being able to do (and which they should absolutely do because it would make bank) would be to put a blank Houseguest up that you could set to be an alt. Yeah, they wouldn't be able to talk in more than grunts, but so many people would just love to see two of their characters next to each other, especially if they came with the proper outfit/personality/etc.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree OP has a great idea. One draw Zenimax has added to chapters is the companions. Adding such a customizable companion to the crown store could reduce the draw companions bring to chapters.

One issue with the idea, personal issue, is that the personality would still be the same or we would have maybe a limited handful to choose from.
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    thing is the game can do this if they wanna.. its up too them people have to have more faith in the game owners,, and let them make a materpeice.. i believe they can do anything.. if they try make thes game like the actual game in skyrim let me hold a staff with sword
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    How would this work with their stories and dialogues though? From a game design perspective, I mean?

We wouldn't. Literally the part I hate the most about the companion system is that that have stories.

I wanna forget my own path in the fantasy setting. Let me choose who my character ventures with.

Very seriously I mean this.

I want to choose their story in my own head. I wanna name and customize them. I want them thematic to the world's I've already built.

I keep heavily to theme. Houses costumes let's mounts even gear sets. Heck I carry laundered stolen goods that fit my characters personality.

I like to choose the fate of my game play. And I wanna design the partner I travel with as well.

I haven't leveled or used any of the companions cause I DONT WANT to use a pre designed npc.

And ALOT of the roleplay and gaming community agrees with this.

Idk why they ever thought we needed force fed personalities attached to these followers.

I'm not saying they can't have followers the way ZOS wants to do them.

But there is 0 reason we can't have our own characters or ones we design be followers as well.

Slap on a basic dialog script and forgo the whole personality preferences gag me bit. And bam your making thousands of dollars cause of people like me

Shoot I'll buy and design one or two companions PER character I have.

They are literally refusing to make money.

And it solves the endless duplicate companion problem.

Idk.

You can't give me a good reason they SHOULDENT do this.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just I make my second DPS character for my companion.
    No reason to buy custom companion at the crown store.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • langewapper
    langewapper
    ✭✭✭
    in skyrim you could make your own compagnions
    with the creation kit software and a lot of addons

was fun

• JellySunset
    JellySunset
    ✭✭✭
    I've been saying this for a long time however not through the crown store, it already has enough stuff..

You create the companion how you create your character, zos could create skilline, choice of names, storyline, like the companions we have now but just being able to create a companion exactly how you want would be great and being able to constantly change things about them like hair, body markings, skins, face markings, personality, you name it, exactly how we can customize our own characters. It could work.
    I would also be happy if we could just use our other chars as companions.
    PC EU
    PC NA
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You create the companion how you create your character, zos could create skilline, choice of names, storyline, like the companions we have now but just being able to create a companion exactly how you want

This doesn't sound like "exactly how you want" to me, unless it's all just about looks.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • GoldenGirl
    GoldenGirl
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with being able to tweak their appearance, like hair styles and color, eye color, etc, and let them wear helms/accessories... Anything to make my Mirri or Ember look a bit different that the hundreds of other Mirris and Embers you see while questing.
    Edited by GoldenGirl on June 27, 2022 11:57AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't though. Most unique gameplay features are not in the cash shop, nor should they be. People only suggest this to get attention because they think ZOS will come running if they offer cash. Let's be real. With no real thought put into whether or not this is an item that would be typical for the cash shop (in this case, it is not) or whether they should be encouraging game companies to over-monetize (They shouldn't be). Companions are NOT a cash shop item and there's no reason any form of companion should be in the cash shop. They are already locked behind DLCs.

Anyway, a customizable companion isn't a character. It's a doll. Maybe as a houseguest, but they shouldn't be running around mute behind your character.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 27, 2022 12:55PM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    yay