The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ultimate backbar pvp

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
👋 all

Is it better to have ice comet as ultimate as most people say ? (Apparantly it is used well for extra mag and extra mag recovery)

Having said that i have the impression that psjic order ultimate can also be good ?!

It gives 5% less damage taken. That also counts for damage from enemy players right (and not only pve monsters)?

Thank you for your insights
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 24, 2022 8:07PM
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Temporal guard is a far better backbar ulti.
    If you're only looking for some extra magicka recovery, then barrier would still be better than meteor.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Thx lephrel

Anyone That has exp with psijic ultimate?
    Does it really also mitigate 5%dmg from other players by only slotting that ultimate?
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh sorry LOL !

Temporal guard is the ultimate from psjic order 😂😉 Just looked it up
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ice comet is pretty good for getting other players stuck inside walls and floors :D
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice comet has good utility when it comes to triggering different effects from range. The impact will count as “direct damage” on the target of the skill and the effect it leaves on the ground will count as “an effect on the ground”. The quoted portions will be the language seen on compatible sets.

It also snares and the dot damage can trigger setting a status effect on targets hit. Which might be more potent in the next patch if changes to Occult Overload makes it to live; as of right now it does 12,800 oblivion damage on pts.

The problem with something like temporal guard is one it bugs out sometimes. And two you will rarely get the full 5% damage reduction due to the diminishing returns on stacking damage reduction sources.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    Ice comet has good utility when it comes to triggering different effects from range. The impact will count as “direct damage” on the target of the skill and the effect it leaves on the ground will count as “an effect on the ground”. The quoted portions will be the language seen on compatible sets.

It also snares and the dot damage can trigger setting a status effect on targets hit. Which might be more potent in the next patch if changes to Occult Overload makes it to live; as of right now it does 12,800 oblivion damage on pts.

The problem with something like temporal guard is one it bugs out sometimes. And two you will rarely get the full 5% damage reduction due to the diminishing returns on stacking damage reduction sources.

Diminishing returns ?
    Care to explain more ?

I have resto staff blessing of potentates which gives 3%less dmg from pvp players. The total mitigation isnt then 8%? (5+3)
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lephrel wrote: »
    Temporal guard is a far better backbar ulti.
    If you're only looking for some extra magicka recovery, then barrier would still be better than meteor.

Completely agree with this. As far as why less returns, it really just depends on if you are playing a squishier build or tankier. Still, its a passive benefit and you back bar should be defensive anyways.

For ice comet, you need to have a hard cc and to have stacked dmg to really get its full benefit, otherwise it will just be blocked
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eMKa8 wrote: »

Diminishing returns ?
    Care to explain more ?

I have resto staff blessing of potentates which gives 3%less dmg from pvp players. The total mitigation isnt then 8%? (5+3)

It is a long thread but worth the time to read: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-21-03-2021
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PvP Combat and Skills section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all . Next question linked to the first.

The passive “DELIBERATION” from Psjijic order says that Daage taken is reduced by 30% when you use a psijic ability !

Now …. What if i dont use an active ability but a PASSIVE ABILITY . Whenever i block i do have the passive ability popping me up of concentrated barrier , which gives me a damage shield.

So somehow … i do cast an ability… but its a passive.
    Does delibaration then gets active as well ?

Or only for active abilities ?
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Diminishing returns ?
    Care to explain more ?

It's (100% - (100% - 5%) * (100% - 3%)) of mitigation, because it's multiplicative.

Contrary to popular belief, there are no diminishing returns on mitigation, exactly because it is multiplicative.
    If you check what's the most thought-out bonuses for PvE DPS - it's all multiplicators.
    Same thing apply to defence, you should transform all things into multipliers and your math will become much more accurate and easier.

The only case where Temporal Guard would be useless is when you have easy access to minor protection, like Warden.
    Hi all . Next question linked to the first.

The passive “DELIBERATION” from Psjijic order says that Daage taken is reduced by 30% when you use a psijic ability !

Now …. What if i dont use an active ability but a PASSIVE ABILITY . Whenever i block i do have the passive ability popping me up of concentrated barrier , which gives me a damage shield.

So somehow … i do cast an ability… but its a passive.
    Does delibaration then gets active as well ?

Or only for active abilities ?

That's for abilities like Meditation and Channeled Acceleration, with channel.
    Which doesn't make it safe thing to do mid combat btw because any interrupt will proc stun and off-balance, and in melee interrupt is as easy as Light attack -> Skill -> bash (chain of animation cancels).

On the topic:

Backbar ulti basically have only limitation - it shouldn't be instant damage type of ulti, because your front bar generally have bigger numbers of crit and damage.

Meteor is a nice backbar ulti because you swap bars between it falls.
    Damage over times track user WD and crit when you switch bars, so stuff like Shifting Standard is good backbar.

Using backbar ulti for passive is possible, yet a bit boring.
    I generally like to have small ulti and big ulti.
    Or at least ultis of different functions.