The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

While we're sharing so many things accountwide.....

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, simply NO!

Could do with NOTHING being account wide
    Either the character has or it does not!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    If you're on PC, I'd be happy to send you a couple hundred k gold - I've played a long time, have lots....

That's a very generous offer and very much appreciated. Sadly, this offer considered, I play on PS5.

Many thanks for the offer! I'll get more fortunate eventually. :smiley:

Aw. Well, here's hoping you can start banging out writs then!
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    If you're on PC, I'd be happy to send you a couple hundred k gold - I've played a long time, have lots....

That's a very generous offer and very much appreciated. Sadly, this offer considered, I play on PS5.

Many thanks for the offer! I'll get more fortunate eventually. :smiley:

Aw. Well, here's hoping you can start banging out writs then!

I looted a good bunch of them and they just sit in the bank for now. I'll work towards using them. :)
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    No, simply NO!

Could do with NOTHING being account wide
    Either the character has or it does not!

Oh really lets see, so only 1 char on your account can:

Access that 14k Crown house you bought?

Access that Assistant Banker/Shop you bought?

Access those storage chests in your house?

Access those Mounts/Pets/Costumes you bought from the crown store?

Use dyes for changing colours of outfits?

Use those furnishings you get from Dungeons/Trials etc?

Use Motifs for outfits?

All gold event style pages would have to be learned/earned separately? I think this would be hard as they are usually rare to get besides the gold boxes which you can only get one of each day.

Have access to your Friend's list?

Have access to a guild? They will ALL have to apply for and join the same guilds. Lowering the actual players a lot per guild.

The list goes on and on I am sure...........if that was the case they would seriously have to drop the costs of things like Houses/Assistants etc. Really, your reply was not thought out at all, no offence of course. :)
    Edited by Paulytnz on January 31, 2022 6:11PM
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input so far, all. Besides a great offer of help, there are perhaps 2 reasons so far to why not have the gold pool shared without the need of a bank:

- gold limit per character/account
    - bounty taken when caught by guards

While the latter does seem viable, not getting caught seems the easy solution to avoid that problem (unless for achievement reasons, in which case it would be good to have lots of money on your character).
    Yet, there is not a really convincing reason to why it is a bad idea to have the gold pool shared without the need of a bank.
    So, for me, the pro to have all the gold available for all characters at any time and place, outweighs the cons mentioned.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold shouldn't be shared because

-roleplay reasons
    -gold limit (this game has been around for a long time, it may not be an issue for you but it's a serious issue for many players. If you don't think it's a big deal, how about I just all your coins right now?)
    -bounty taken
    -It's part of many people's purchase management
    -Gold is easy to come by once you become an established player, while the things that you want are either very expensive or very cheap and little in-between. So the downsides to this don't outweigh the benefits.
    -Players are willing to gift you the banker in exchange for coins (on ps5 this purchase would only be 500k coins for 5k crowns, typically) and having a personal banker makes it nearly effortless to swap coins between characters

I noticed you are a new player. In order to make coins, you're using by the far worst method of earning coins. And this is why this may seem like it has a lot of pros. But once you become better at it, you will definitely be glad that new players wanting to stash stuff to their alts without having to go to town isn't a reason for all the downsides.

I'd recommend:

-Don't vendor the gear you loot, break it down and sell the mats
    -do you crafting writ dailies. These are NOT the ones you loot, depending on the looted writ those might actually be a net loss. Instead, these are the ones you pickup from the crafting writ daily board. In order to do them, you must be certified as a crafter. The boards will direct you to quest givers for certification. If you have the Summerset expansion, be sure to go to Alinor to get certified in Jewelry crafting too.
    -Steal. Sell any furnishings and non-treasure items you get to other players, some of these items are worth a lot. If you have the thieves guild, make sure to use their passives to increase the value of your stealing. And do heists, sell the gear you get from there that is heist exclusive. You can find which gear that is online.
    -If you have the Greymoor chapter, Antiquities is also a good source of quick coin for a new player.

Edited by spartaxoxo on January 31, 2022 7:58PM
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    So, still no valid reasons other than the gold cap? How much is that cap exactly? And if the cap is too low, doesn't that mean the economy is broken? The cap must be there for a reason. And if it is not, it could be raised quite easily by ZOS.

I'm still saying yes to a shared gold pool.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, still no valid reasons other than the gold cap? How much is that cap exactly? And if the cap is too low, doesn't that mean the economy is broken? The cap must be there for a reason. And if it is not, it could be raised quite easily by ZOS.

The cap is usually due to how coding works. I remember for Runescape (a 20 year old MMO still going now) the cap was something like 2.5 Billion or something. So if it's anywhere near that for us in ESO, I would say the cap is not any reason at all, no one will get anywhere close to that, except maybe bots....
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i prefer banking my gold. no thanks
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    Paulytnz wrote: »

The cap is usually due to how coding works. I remember for Runescape (a 20 year old MMO still going now) the cap was something like 2.5 Billion or something. So if it's anywhere near that for us in ESO, I would say the cap is not any reason at all, no one will get anywhere close to that, except maybe bots....

Can't find an answer to what the gold cap actually is, but if it is anywhere near that amount, I doubt indeed that many players will reach it. Me for certain.
    WoW has a cap of 10 billion per account and 10 million per character, as far as I know. Never seen anyone reach it and that economy is seriously broken.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't find an answer to what the gold cap actually is, but if it is anywhere near that amount, I doubt indeed that many players will reach it. Me for certain.
    WoW has a cap of 10 billion per account and 10 million per character, as far as I know. Never seen anyone reach it and that economy is seriously broken.

I left ~9.5 million each on my Shadowsong and Icecrown mains when I quit WoW in 2013.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Earlier it was brought up that players with characters engaging in thieving frequently carry less gold on those characters in order to minimize loss if RNG deciding they get caught incurs a large bounty and then they are caught by guards. That's a perfectly good and valid reason against shared gold.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet, there is not a really convincing reason to why it is a bad idea to have the gold pool shared without the need of a bank.
    So, for me, the pro to have all the gold available for all characters at any time and place, outweighs the cons mentioned.

It breaks PvP for one.

In the PvP space there are no assistants available (Khajiit is scared of PvP but will pop up for you in a Molag Bal boss fight, this one does not understand) and not being able to pull random objects out of your bank in the middle of a siege is somewhat important.

For PvE there's also a management issue. If you have 200 slots per toon and 18 toons thats 3600 items carried and having them in one inventory would be a nightmare.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭

I left ~9.5 million each on my Shadowsong and Icecrown mains when I quit WoW in 2013.

I left several toons with millions there too, quit in 2018. If there was anything I could bring to this game, it wasn't the gold pile, but my Tauren druid and Prot pala.....
    You made me reflect back at ICC....., I really had good times running that raid. Oh, the good ol' days.....
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭

It breaks PvP for one.

In the PvP space there are no assistants available (Khajiit is scared of PvP but will pop up for you in a Molag Bal boss fight, this one does not understand) and not being able to pull random objects out of your bank in the middle of a siege is somewhat important.

For PvE there's also a management issue. If you have 200 slots per toon and 18 toons thats 3600 items carried and having them in one inventory would be a nightmare.

How is sharing a gold pool result in all that?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I left several toons with millions there too, quit in 2018. If there was anything I could bring to this game, it wasn't the gold pile, but my Tauren druid and Prot pala.....
    You made me reflect back at ICC....., I really had good times running that raid. Oh, the good ol' days.....

Yeah. My family guilds on both server ran that SO many times. We quit when it got to be autopilot, went on to something else. Some of my family still play, but I've never been back. Nor to RIFT which I played from 2013 to 2016.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only things I want shared are all the accidental recipes and furnishing plans I learned on alts that I meant to save for my main. Gamepad mode has that stupid disadvantage of putting recipes in the top box and reading them by accident is a problem, game devs are laughing their butts off at console and PC gamepad players.

As a console user, seriously this.
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭

Yeah. My family guilds on both server ran that SO many times. We quit when it got to be autopilot, went on to something else. Some of my family still play, but I've never been back. Nor to RIFT which I played from 2013 to 2016.

Have to admit. I'm having a hard time not wanting dedicated classes in ESO like there is in WoW, but I'm getting used to this.
    After I quit WoW, I've played GTAO a lot (yes, I dare to admit that here) and got so used to a shared bank account so much that it started bothering me to not have one in ESO, hence my idea to get that shared here too.

On the WoW note: I can't even go back if I wanted to. I switched PC's for Macs and WoW doesn't run very well on those.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these options, super solid, but I'll tell you why they don't do some of them:

m o n e y.
    c a s h.
    d o l l a r i e d o o s.

Mount speed? We could make it account wide, but you can purchase it for crowns, it's no problem, plus you can buy it for in-game gold, it's not a big deal.
    Research for armor and weapon traits? I know it takes a long time, but you can do it! Or. You can buy some more scrolls that speed up that process. Or don't, we won't make you.
    Outfit slots? Now look, you get a free one alright? And you can reuse it all you want! Just lets you save presets, it's not a big deal if we charge you 1k crowns for each preset slot.

It's all about money. It's not the worst monetization I've ever seen, it's not nickel-and-diming you at every turn for everything essential, just making little inconveniences that can be fixed with time or by spending money, just like mobile games. Time-gating things is an industry standard for mobile games, so it's to be expected. It's predatory sure, but this isn't Neverwinter, it's not Maplestory. They haven't pushed it that far yet (sans the loot box system, that's very bad imo but time will show that's the case across the board).
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about mount speed while we're at it?
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to save gold where I cant see it, its a nice surprise when you need gold and stumble onto a character you havent opened in months
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    How about mount speed while we're at it?

*raises hand*

All for it!
  • Ankahet
    Ankahet
    ✭✭
    Mounts, small pets, skins, houses, materials, stickerbooks, appearances, companions, paints, furniture and much more, why not fully share the gold pool?
    Why keep the gold per character, while gold can be shared via the shared bank already? Do we really need the extra steps for getting some gold to an alt's pockets?
    What is the reason why gold isn't in an accountwide purse?

Thoughts on why yes and why not.

I, for one, would like to see the gold pool accountwide. Much easier when buying something from (guild)traders or doing some changes at the outfitters, without going to the bank to withdraw what other characters have put in there first.

Your thoughts please.

Actually, it does share the gold pool, it's called a bank, where all of your characters have access to the gold and items within it regardless of level.
  • Leftover_Pizza
    Leftover_Pizza
    ✭✭✭
    I like to save gold where I cant see it, its a nice surprise when you need gold and stumble onto a character you havent opened in months

A nice surprise to you, a wake-up call to me.
  • zacvanm
    zacvanm
    ✭✭✭
    I just want shared mount speed. OR the option to purchase more than one at a time, OR all points at once for an increased amount of gold.
    EP Nord StamDK PvP
    EP Breton Magplar PvP/PvE
    1750cp
    PS-NA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zacvanm wrote: »
    I just want shared mount speed. OR the option to purchase more than one at a time, OR all points at once for an increased amount of gold.

This would be awesome.

It really is ridiculous that it takes 6 months to fully train our riding skills. At the very least we should be able to put one point in each of the three skills every day.
    PCNA
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would take a bit of coding to move what's likely held in separate classes (like a template of sorts) that are used to govern character information, and move it to account wide information. If you've ever programmed and moved things from a template to a more general space, it can be a headache and create a lot of errors. Personally, I would rather they spend their time coding other things, because the system works ok as it is.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    Hey folks,

We have removed a few posts from this thread that were not adding to the discussion and were more focused on attacking other members of the community. Please try to avoid posting any comments that provoke unnecessary conflict, bait others into an emotional reaction, incite disruption, or mock other players in any way.

We encourage you all to take a few moments to review our Comunity Rules.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post