Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

eso64.exe - sensapi.dll is missing

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this error running the game direct through ZOS (i.e. not Steam) on my Win7 machine (with 0patch) and although the error pops up the game proceeds to load and run perfectly normally. No such issue with my Win10 machine of course.
    Edited by Tandor on November 1, 2021 9:05PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We're still working on getting this fixed, but in the meantime, try running the system file checker tool. You will still get an error but it should at least allow you to log into the game.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • stiflersdad
    Hi, same problem at me. Running Win 7 Pro 64bit
    Launcher would no update. I have install all new. Update complete finished.
    Start eso64.exe ->error SensApi.dll is missing.
    I donwload SensApi.dll and copy to eso64.exe and try again
    ->error api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll is missing
    I download this dll and copy to system32 and syswow64 and to eso64.exe but the error comes again and again

Dont know what to do.

Pls help

Greetings from Stiflersdad
  • stiflersdad
    I think i found the real last api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll and copy to eso64.exe.
    I get the error ->Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "SetLastError" wurde in der DLL "api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll" nicht gefunden.

I think more can i not do.

Stiflersdad
  • Pltchaosub17_ESO
    I have this erorr, and need help. Windows 7 operating system.
    (Edit) Seems the janky work around worked for now. Hope it's resolved in the future entirely.
    Edited by Pltchaosub17_ESO on November 1, 2021 10:54PM
  • DekuDekuplex
    Unfortunately, when I copied C:\Windows\System32\SensApi.dll to C:\Users\<username>\eso\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client, although I was able to log in, I was unable to take any screenshots.

Attempting to take screenshots has no effect.

Please research and resolve this issue as soon as possible; I use screenshots to keep a running diary of everything that happens in-game, and without them, I tend to forget everything that happens in-game (especially the names of any players whom I meet).

UPDATE (2021/11/01 8:26 PM EDT):

My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

Upon deleting the copied SensApi.dll file from the C:\Users\<username>\eso\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client directory and running the command "sfc /scannow" in a command prompt using Administrator privileges, after receiving a system error message about a missing SensApi.dll file, I was able to log in, but still unable to take any screenshots.

When I attempted to take a screenshot after logging in to a specific character, the usual message that a screenshot was taken and stored in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\Screenshots directory appeared; however, upon inspecting that directory, no screenshot was found. In fact, that directory was empty. (Normally, a screenshot is stored there.)

Please resolve this issue and allow screenshots to be stored there again as usual as soon as possible.
    Edited by DekuDekuplex on November 2, 2021 12:26AM
  • Castian
    Castian
    ✭✭✭
    I copy pasted the sensapi.dll from my windows directory to the game folder where eso64.exe is located and the error pop up cleared up, though I was able to log in after closing the error beforehand.
  • fedorpepel
    Same problem as the others downloaded whole patch but get senapi.dll is missing error. I don't know how to fix it. Win7 64 bit here.
  • Se7enOne
    Se7enOne
    ✭✭✭
    You all are welcome :wink:
    I think i found the real last api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll and copy to eso64.exe.
    I get the error ->Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "SetLastError" wurde in der DLL "api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1-1-1.dll" nicht gefunden.

I think more can i not do.

Stiflersdad

Thats looks like a dotnet framework error,update your frameworks
    fedorpepel wrote: »
    Same problem as the others downloaded whole patch but get senapi.dll is missing error. I don't know how to fix it. Win7 64 bit here.
    Se7enOne wrote: »
    SOLUTION: go to your windows system folder(SysWOW64) search the sensapi.dll and copy it into your game folder were the eso64.exe is
    Read thread before posting :smile:

Unfortunately, when I copied C:\Windows\System32\SensApi.dll to C:\Users\<username>\eso\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client, although I was able to log in, I was unable to take any screenshots.

Please research and resolve this issue as soon as possible; I use screenshots to keep a running diary of everything that happens in-game, and without them, I tend to forget everything that happens in-game (especially the names of any players whom I meet).

Upon deleting the copied SensApi.dll file from the C:\Users\<username>\eso\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client directory and running the command "sfc /scannow" in a command prompt using Administrator privileges, after receiving a system error message about a missing SensApi.dll file, I was able to log in, but still unable to take any screenshots.

When I attempted to take a screenshot after logging in to a specific character, the usual message that a screenshot was taken and stored in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\Screenshots directory appeared; however, upon inspecting that directory, no screenshot was found. In fact, that directory was empty. (Normally, a screenshot is stored there.)

Please resolve this issue and allow screenshots to be stored there again as usual as soon as possible.

Try to use the sensapi.dll from the SysWOW64 folder
    Elder Scrolls Online: The Indrik Farmsimulator
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disable Multithreaded Rendering (it is now enabled by default) in the video settings.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • nathamarath
    nathamarath
    ✭✭✭
    Same here on Win 8.1 64bit: able to start and play the game including a mountain of addons.

edit: The workaround, copying sensapi.dll from folder syswow64 to the folder containing the eso64.exe worked in my case. Thanks, @Se7enOne

To those unsuccessful with this method, make sure you don't copy sensapi.dll from system32 or winsxs folder but copy it from syswow64 folder.
    Edited by nathamarath on November 2, 2021 1:10PM
    give a man a fish and he is happy for a day. give him a video game and he is happy for months, maybe even years
  • DLow
    DLow
    Soul Shriven
    I'm so fed up with this. After weeks of trying to get my launcher past the loading... screen and finally fixing it through some advanced research on reddit because the 6 generic steps to fix this which are the same on every site won't work, I finally launched the game and got the message that SensApi.dll is missing, however the game launched just fine anyways. Until I crashed due to overpopulation in the new zone. Tried to launch again and nope. White screen, prompt to wait for task to answer or terminate task. Found the solution on this forum which was copying the SensApi.dll from SysWOW64 which ofc wasn't even missing in the first place to the main folder where the eso64.exe is located. That fixed the error message I got yet for unclear reasons the game still won't launch. White screen - nothing happens. What am I supposed to do? I'm about to quit for good, seriously nothing works in and even outside of this game.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For those continuing to receive this error, we now have a help article below which will continually be updated with troubleshooting to help with this issue.

SensApi.dll - Error Message - The Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • 3rdpig
    3rdpig
    ✭✭
    Why was my "Crash to desktop after update 32" thread closed when I'm not getting the SensApi.dll error and running System File Checker doesn't get me into the game?

Please reopen my thread until a fix is discovered.
    Edited by 3rdpig on November 3, 2021 1:05AM
  • Techwolf_Lupindo
    Techwolf_Lupindo
    ✭✭✭
    DLow wrote: »
    I'm so fed up with this. After weeks of trying to get my launcher past the loading... screen and finally fixing it through some advanced research on reddit because the 6 generic steps to fix this which are the same on every site won't work, I finally launched the game and got the message that SensApi.dll is missing, however the game launched just fine anyways.

Can you please link that post where you got farther? I done the same thing and it has not work getting past the launcher error.
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here on Win 8.1 64bit: able to start and play the game including a mountain of addons.

edit: The workaround, copying sensapi.dll from folder syswow64 to the folder containing the eso64.exe worked in my case. Thanks, @Se7enOne

To those unsuccessful with this method, make sure you don't copy sensapi.dll from system32 or winsxs folder but copy it from syswow64 folder.

thank you so much!!!!it finally works qwq
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭

but game crash after i log in
  • Se7enOne
    Se7enOne
    ✭✭✭
    evymyu233 wrote: »

but game crash after i log in

Try to disable Multithreaded Rendering in the video settings before login and relaunch the game
  • DLow
    DLow
    Soul Shriven
    SOLUTION: go to your windows system folder(SysWOW64) search the sensapi.dll and copy it into your game folder were the eso64.exe is

That's what I did and it fixed the error. However now when I want to play I have to repair the game every single time I launch it, otherwise I'm just getting a whitescreen and nothing happens. I did a clean reinstall 2 times and it didn't do anything. I did absolutely everything including sfc which was mentioned above now. None of this helps. Even repairing doesn't work every time. Come on, we didn't have those kind of problems until a month ago and I just wanted to launch the game but I can't even be bothered to do it under those circumstances. To be honest I can't even hit up support either because it'll just hit me with a generic answer consisting of the same 6 steps to fix this issue which I did 100 times already. Absolutely fed up.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have this problem as well, exactly as OP. I am on Win 7 64 , PC NA server
  • Se7enOne
    Se7enOne
    ✭✭✭
    DLow wrote: »

That's what I did and it fixed the error. However now when I want to play I have to repair the game every single time I launch it, otherwise I'm just getting a whitescreen and nothing happens. I did a clean reinstall 2 times and it didn't do anything. I did absolutely everything including sfc which was mentioned above now. None of this helps. Even repairing doesn't work every time. Come on, we didn't have those kind of problems until a month ago and I just wanted to launch the game but I can't even be bothered to do it under those circumstances. To be honest I can't even hit up support either because it'll just hit me with a generic answer consisting of the same 6 steps to fix this issue which I did 100 times already. Absolutely fed up.

Do you start your game with the launcher or do you use the eso64.exe?

Ashryn wrote: »
    Have this problem as well, exactly as OP. I am on Win 7 64 , PC NA server
    Read whole thread before posting :)
  • Vararrand
    Vararrand
    ✭✭

Don't use the the sensapi.dll from SysWOW64, that's the 32 bit version of the file, but Eso is compiled for and expects the 64bit version, so take the file from the System32 folder.
    And please don't ask why Microsoft decided to put the 32bit files in a folder names WOW64 and the 64bit files in a folder names System32.. its just, you know, a Microsoft thing. :D
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you. (Joseph Heller)
  • Se7enOne
    Se7enOne
    ✭✭✭
    Vararrand wrote: »

Don't use the the sensapi.dll from SysWOW64, that's the 32 bit version of the file, but Eso is compiled for and expects the 64bit version, so take the file from the System32 folder.
    And please don't ask why Microsoft decided to put the 32bit files in a folder names WOW64 and the 64bit files in a folder names System32.. its just, you know, a Microsoft thing. :D

Haha seriously? Lol
    Edited by Se7enOne on November 4, 2021 7:08AM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're still working on getting this fixed, but in the meantime, try running the system file checker tool. You will still get an error but it should at least allow you to log into the game.
    The System File Check does not report anything in the CBS.log file about SensApi.dll. -- or, if it does, then I have yet to find it. SFC attempts to repair or replace corrupted files, but, as far as I know, it never reports that a file is missing entirely.

Where is the Launcher looking for SensApi.dll? When I perform a search of the C:\Windows folder, it returns six results, i.e., six different sub-folders in which that file is found.

To what location should I copy it?

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Se7enOne
    Se7enOne
    ✭✭✭

Where the eso64.exe is located.

(-yourharddrive-\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client)
    Edited by Se7enOne on November 4, 2021 2:24PM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE
    The System File Check does not report anything in the CBS.log file about SensApi.dll. -- or, if it does, then I have yet to find it. SFC attempts to repair or replace corrupted files, but, as far as I know, it never reports that a file is missing entirely.

Where is the Launcher looking for SensApi.dll? When I perform a search of the C:\Windows folder, it returns six results, i.e., six different sub-folders in which that file is found.

Where the eso64.exe is located.
    (-yourharddrive-\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client)
    Thanks for the reply. After reading some of the preceding discussion, I copied SensApi.dll from C:\Windows\System32 to drive D\Program Files\Launcher and another copy to drive D\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client in which eso64.exe is stored.

(1) When I use a desktop shortcut to run eso64.exe, the launch proceeds as usual until the primary game account log-in dialog screen is displayed, then the game client exits without displaying any error message before I can log-in to play.

(2) When I use the Launcher, the launch proceeds to completion, and I can log-in to play the game on the primary game account log-in dialog screen. However, the Launcher window does not close as it normally does when the game client begins running.

So, I manually close the Launcher window while the "logos" are being displayed behind it. I don't know the outcome if I don't do that. At best, I would have to close the Launcher window manually in order to access the log-in dialog to play the game.

Edited by Shadowshire on November 5, 2021 5:40AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • uberheim
    uberheim

I can confirm, it works for me. The error disappeared, and the game works good. Win7 64 SP1.
  • anghara
    anghara
    ✭✭✭
    I can also confirm that I'm unable to take screenshots with this error. The game tells me the screenshots are saved in the appropriate folder, but nothing is there. Please fix this aspect as well!
  • DekuDekuplex
    anghara wrote: »
    I can also confirm that I'm unable to take screenshots with this error. The game tells me the screenshots are saved in the appropriate folder, but nothing is there. Please fix this aspect as well!

According to the information posted in this thread, it is possible temporarily to re-enable taking screenshots by disabling Multithreaded Rendering in the video settings before logging in, and then restarting the game. This solution worked for me.

Furthermore, copying SensApi.dll from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder to the C:\Users\<username>\eso\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\ folder (on Windows 7 (64-bit)) removes the "sensapi.dll is missing" error message at game startup.

However, it seems that it is still not possible to take a screenshot if Multithreaded Rendering is enabled in the video settings.
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    worked for me after copying the SensApi.dll from C:\Windows\system32 next to the eso64.exe in the steam-folder (in my case D :\Programme\Steam\SteamApps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client)

steam version worked fine anyway (who would have ever thought this? lol) and now i can run the eso64.exe again for a non steam version.

Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
    Edited by tim77 on November 11, 2021 1:33AM