The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Interaction Priority and Housing (how you'll no longer be able to block off doors)

Spell-Slinger
Spell-Slinger
✭✭✭✭
First things first, Interaction Priority was something that appeared in the PTS patch notes 7.1.0, and to me at least, went by largely unnoticed. It promised to change the interaction priority so that the game would let us interact with crafting stations and bankers, even when other players' pets and companions were in the way. So far so good!

However, I only recently discovered that this has some HUGE and unfortunate consequences for housing. Most housing people are used to being able to block off doors in their houses, to stop people from entering certain areas of their house that they don't want to use. However, as it turns out, the priority system means that players will be able to still interact with these doors THROUGH items you have placed there to block it. This includes door furnishings, walls, fountains, platforms, and pretty much anything you can think of EXCEPT crafting stations, which still take priority over doors in the priority system as it currently stands on the PTS.

Case in point: place a huge wall in front of a door, and the door can still be used.
a0vusz65qc5v.png

Place a door (furnishing) in front of it, and the house's original door can be activated through the door that you placed.
gnwpsae0i91w.png

If you place an outfit station inside the door though, EVEN THOUGH the station can't actually be activated with this placement, the game will try and target this crafting station first, and thus be unable to activate the door. So that's bad news for you, my dear housing enthusiast friends. Blocking doors is going to be very expensive in the future.
a0pb16e31554.png
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If my choice is having guests get stuck in undecorated portions of homes vs people trolling by parking their warden bear on top of the writ turn in crates, a lot of my guests will be getting stuck.

P.S. do NOT try to use the door I'm blocking off in Bastion Sanguinaris you will get stuck in a wall.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This could be solved by allowing homeowners the ability to turn off doors or "lock" them. It should work on everything except the main entrance.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If my choice is having guests get stuck in undecorated portions of homes vs people trolling by parking their warden bear on top of the writ turn in crates, a lot of my guests will be getting stuck.

P.S. do NOT try to use the door I'm blocking off in Bastion Sanguinaris you will get stuck in a wall.

Ok I completely understand the desire to get rid of "blockers"..... Warden bear, I'm looking at you!!

However as a housing addict suddenly not being able to lock off portions of my homes is a huge issue and tbh honest probably narrative wise a back story breaker too :(

Plus we all know the struggle of decorating/building and staying within the spaces allocated, now we need to get creative and use MORE spaces to just try and ultimately save us space. :(

I would speculate that Houses/Furnishings are probably close to the top, or even at the top of ZoS's money earning categories BUT time and time again they do stuff that affects the people that love decorating.....

It is way beyond time to increase housing spaces HOWEVER if you really cannot do that then PLEASE don't do stuff that's going to make it harder to save space!! :o

@ZoS @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi @Spell-Slinger. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've submitted your feedback to the dev team and they are actively working on a solution. No ETA on this right now, but once a solution is available, we will post an update. Thanks for flagging for us.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this is awful.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you set permissions to 'limited visitors' can they still interact with doors? (or is only light and such)?
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    If you set permissions to 'limited visitors' can they still interact with doors? (or is only light and such)?

Limited visitors cannot interact with player-placed doors. However, player-placed doors were never the issue here. I'm talking about doors that are part of the house - the doors that teleport you between the interior and exterior of the house.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

The only thing "limited" is lights/states. Doors, crafting stations, etc can still be used by Limited Visitors.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bug or feature? now you can have hidden doors and secret passages...
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    bug or feature? now you can have hidden doors and secret passages...

Yeah, this also opens up new possibilities. The best solution would be to allow us an option for each house how we want the targeting to be working.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

....Is it bad that there's a small troll inside of me that wants to watch my housing guests get stuck in a wall?

I mean, you raise a very good point there that it would be their own fault for trying to use a door that was clearly blocked off.... So....it would be their own fault if it happens.... :D
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on August 19, 2021 3:26AM
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi @Spell-Slinger. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We've submitted your feedback to the dev team and they are actively working on a solution. No ETA on this right now, but once a solution is available, we will post an update. Thanks for flagging for us.

Any update on this? Cause it just went through to live, unchanged. That's a bit discouraging.
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    And it's fixed! Thank you ZOS for listening!
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I would like, is to be able to place things close to the door. There are cases when the player wants to completely change the interior, but they are unable because there is a certain space near the door where you are not allowed to place items. For example, I would like to change the floor, or re-texture the walls.

Another nice feature to have would be to be able to disable certain interact-able items, such as doors or lights (many people do not want visitors to be able to turn off the lights but still be able to open/close doors).
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    One of the things I would like, is to be able to place things close to the door. There are cases when the player wants to completely change the interior, but they are unable because there is a certain space near the door where you are not allowed to place items. For example, I would like to change the floor, or re-texture the walls.

Another nice feature to have would be to be able to disable certain interact-able items, such as doors or lights (many people do not want visitors to be able to turn off the lights but still be able to open/close doors).

With EHT you can push items into the door zone where you normally couldn't but I do appreciate not everyone can use EHT.

I would love just to disallow access to lights and everything else except doors as well. Somebody went to one of my houses and turned off all the lights, there must be 50+ and left everything in broken state. I now have it on limited visitor rather than visitor permission.
    Edited by TheImperfect on September 8, 2021 3:27PM
  • HalfDragoness
    HalfDragoness
    ✭✭✭
    I always wondered why we couldn't 'lock' doors like you see in the general map areas. They look like regular doors but have a chain and a lock on them so they are no longer usable as doors. Can we have the abilisty to lock doors in player housing?
  • Malvagor
    Malvagor
    ✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »

Only the very entrance of the house does this, presumably as a failsafe so that people can't get stuck in furniture upon entering the house (and to a lesser degree, can always leave the house with port to entrance). All other interior doors can be reskinned without the red collision box. It's unfortunate especially for smaller house interiors but it is what it is, not sure if there's a way around it, maybe they could provide a 'leave house' shortcut instead.