Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Launcher doesn't close after launching or exiting the game

Hydra9268
Hydra9268
✭✭✭
I have encountered an issue with the launcher not closing after I click Play or exit the game for many years. Example below:
XnihAcF.jpeg

I followed ZOS_BillE's advice in this thread and set the properties of the exe file to admin mode.
eDjU97V.jpg

However, the launcher doesn't start if set to admin mode.

So without admin mode, the launcher gets stuck every time it runs, and I have the manually kill process with Process Explorer, or it doesn't run if I set the executable file to admin mode. It's a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario. Please advise.
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect this has something to do with the Steam wrapper.
  • olancho
    olancho
    ✭✭
    I have heard the launcher has a memory leak issue and it has been present since beta. About 9 times out of 10, I have to force quit the launcher when trying to quit the game.
    Edited by olancho on May 17, 2021 6:02PM
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced memory leak is the issue because the launcher turns into a zombie process almost immediately after Steam runs it and I click Play. It also turns into a zombie process if Steam runs the launcher, and I quickly close it seconds later.
    Edited by Hydra9268 on May 17, 2021 8:42PM
  • olancho
    olancho
    ✭✭
    I play thru Steam and if I quit the launcher, I get booted from the megaserver after a few minutes if it isn't running in the background.

Sad that the only workaround for Steam users is to buy the game again directly from ZoS.
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    Let's stay on-point. What you're describing is a separate issue.
  • olancho
    olancho
    ✭✭
    K, boss, but I don't see how you are quickly closing the launcher running it thru Steam and not getting booted from the server?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have posted troubleshooting in the following two threads which may help with this launcher issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    We have posted troubleshooting in the following two threads which may help with this launcher issue.

In both threads you posted:

"If the launcher remains stuck when quitting, there could be a permissions issue. Try setting the launcher to run as an administrator. They should also make sure the launcher is added as an exception in their anti-virus. Steps for doing so can be found here."

In my opening comment in this thread, you'll see I explicit noted that I followed your advice and encountered an issue where the launcher doesn't start if it is set to admin mode. Thus leading to the conclusion: "So without admin mode, the launcher gets stuck every time it runs, and I have the manually kill process with Process Explorer, or it doesn't run if I set the executable file to admin mode."

Setting the launcher to admin mode doesn't work for Steam users.
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    It looks the launcher closes properly after I click the "X" in the upper right-corner. That started happening with Blackwood, so kudos to whoever fix it. 🙂
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it's back. 😟
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Hydra9268

Thanks for the updates. One more troubleshooting step you can try is rebooting the PC into a selective startup. This will disable third party software running on the PC. Open the ESO Launcher while under the selective startup and test if the issue persists.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post