The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Graphics Driver Crash

mguzowski09_ESO
mguzowski09_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any info or a fix for the graphics driver crash i'm getting. I have an AMD R9 290 with the latest drivers. Originally the screen would randomly freeze and the game would continue running and I could hear environment sounds or menu sounds. It seems switching from windowed borderless to full screen makes the driver crash, (again seemingly random) but not recover. Any ideas?
  • Nomos
    Nomos
    ✭✭
    Hello @mguzowski09_ESO ,

I have got nearly same issues (beside random crashes directly to desktop without crash report) but I am not sure if it is an driver crash. I cant reproduce it with switching to full screen and back again, it happens randomly. Monitor reconnects to gfx card leaving the game with black screen only hearing sounds from it like you descrbed. Noticing that explorer.exe shuts down when happening. No error entrys in windows log. System ist up to date and high end. Everything else runs smooth.

- Playing in windowed mode.
    - two monitors
    - RTX3070 with latest NVidia driver

I am still trying to reproduce this Error. It started after last Patch this Week.
    Edited by Nomos on April 25, 2021 2:46PM
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings,

We recommend the troubleshooting steps in this article to try to resolve this crashing issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not having an issues on my R9 390, but I don't have the latest drivers. Try rolling them back.

Hint, older video cards do not always need, or want, the latest drivers.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nomos
    Nomos
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the Advice @ZOS_Adrikoth ,

thats the first things I have done /checked since bigger crash problems started with the Flames of Ambition Patch. None of them worked. I am still investigating the source of the problems but crashes without logs are hard to find, especially if they happen randomly.

If I will find a solution i will give updates.

@Nestor : I will also try older NVidia drivers. Perhaps it will help
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nomos @mguzowski09_ESO

I saw some recent articles on the Web that the last security update for Windows 10 was causing issues in games, across both card flavors. The recommended work around is to roll back video drivers

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-10-april-update-is-causing-games-to-randomly-stutter

• Nomos
    Nomos
    ✭✭
    Hello @mguzowski09_ESO ,

I have solved that problem for me; including the random crashes to desktop. I noticed some kernel logs in Win protokoll.
    After turning off GSync I have had no black screens and crashes anymore.
    There ist a corresponding technic for AMD cards called free Sync. Perhaps turning it off will help with your problem, too.

Best wishes
    Nomos

@ZOS_Adrikoth : are there some known issues with Nvidia GSync?
    Edited by Nomos on April 25, 2021 11:43PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @mguzowski09_ESO

Another step that may help if these driver crashes persist is to try reinstalling the GPU drivers on your system.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • mguzowski09_ESO
    mguzowski09_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I took @Nestor 's advice and tried an older driver. With some googling I found people are having good luck with the AMD driver version 17.11.4 on many games with this card. The game has been running for about an hour so far with no crashes, which was unthinkable previously!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news is, Microsoft is coming out with, or has already come out with a fix for this issue.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/04/24/microsoft-issues-emergency-windows-10-april-fix-for-performance-issues/

@Nomos