The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please reinstate faction locks, or do this instead....

• Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just assign your AD chars to Gray Host

That is what I do

But I wish to be able to play with my friends or join social guild runs in other alliances

I never trolled anyone or hinder anyone's progress

I also dont have ARAA on NA and I want to farm montly transmutes

Why lock/punish everyone and take away this freedom

• CooloutAC
    CooloutAC
    ✭✭
    CooloutAC wrote: »
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Lately it seems like too many players on various factions are more interested in fighting guards and sieging keeps when fewer opponents are around to contest them.

The intention of being in an AvA campaign is to take keeps. Your primary objective is to recruit as many people that you can fit into a group, and start invading enemy keeps. If the keep is not being well guarded by other players.. that is the fault of the faction for not properly guarding their keeps, and they deserve to lose their keeps for being so careless and neglectful. Why is it a bad thing to use intellectual strategy to put a faction in a weakened position by taking keeps beneath their noses?

Why do you even play pvp if you don't pvp?

cyrodil is really openworld pvp questing for those that want it. I bet you pve more then me. Since I never even did a dungeon or more then a couple pve quests till i reached cp300. and that was so I can unlock psijic order and undaunted passives. I strictly leveled 3 toons in nothing but cyrodil and bg's.

If you want instant pvp gratification or more small scale fighting maybe you should try the bg's, but don't go into cyrodil and then selfishly try to ruin it for others by undermining its intention.
    TBois wrote: »
    Man it has been a while since I heard someone care about the campaign score in a low pop campaign. I used to care. Cut my teeth playing AD on Bloodthorn trying to dethrone Naw Sunrest every day. For those who were not around at launch with how dynamic ult gen, emp and dk's worked, this means I banged my head against a wall every evening to try and get as many points as possible. Suddenly after a year or so I stopped caring...because I realized ZOS doesn't care. These issues about emp and just the way the leaderboards are calculated have not been touched since day one. Soon enough you will come to the forums to complain about something else, actually maybe even the same issue, and you will think back to this thread. Why? Well one reason is that I'm telling you that you will remember this for the rest of your life, but another reason is that I am giving you the best answer to maximize your fun in ESO. The way to have fun in ESO is to ignore the bad ***. You will have a heart attack if you trouble yourself waiting for ZOS to fix something specific.

Dethroning Naw Sunrest was a right of passage for my guild back in the day.

Dang, that's some nostalgia right there.

I both loved and hated Bloodthorn for all that.

Glad to see there's a few of us still around that can compare/contrast the pre-1.5 patch Cyrodiil with what we have nowadays. But you're right about avoiding the stress. I stopped raid leading because my blood pressure literally went up 30 points from the start of it. I long ago learned (and suggest this to others) -- take a chill pill and take breaks when needed.

Cyrodiil doesn't give rewards that have any value (more like a gotcha prize) to the winners more than it gives the losers. The only thing is 'faction pride', and that's been dead for years. The locks were a bad idea, implemented at the behest of the paranoid, much like the proc disabling was as well. Vast, sweeping changes when instead it could be handled in one off ways (such as enforcing TOS against ACTUAL griefers, small a number as they were) or rebalancing the terrible sets like Crimson, Earthgore, and Harbinger.

Anyways, good post, @TBois . Glad to see old guard like you still around, hope you're being treated well by life in general and in ESO.

what do you consider griefing and how could they prove and enforce it? I think just locking the campaigns stops most of it. Since I started playing grayhost i've been in many guilds who run raids. And many of them have verbally told me they don't play in the other campaigns because they are not locked and people faction swap. There is no paranoia about it. I've quit just as many guilds who do it. I mean people are seeing this with their own eyes, its not a theory they are assuming. Its something that is done publicly and right in the open because they don't even see it as a bad thing.

I dunno. You're the faction lock supporter. You tell me all the terrible, horrible things you think they prevent.

I'm not particularly interested in defining it for you. But the argument of 'well, people faction swap' is a bad one because you have not proven, stated, or shown a harm from this. People swap? So? Usually it's to play with their friends which is exactly the behavior an MMO should support.

So I guess that means you have no idea. I mean why do you think grayhost will have 120 in pop locked qeue, and noone is playing blackreach?

I believe its the same reason I stopped playing there. There are a couple guilds I haad quit who will literally get on discord together with other faction guilds to emp people or attack the 3rd place faction which I find lame. Eventually I didn't even bother saying LFG in the blackreach zone chat cause I knew they would probably be doing what I consider cheating.

Locking campaigns discourages people from switching back and forth on the same campaign, which encourages factions to coordinate info and trade AP undermining the developers very intention with the game mode. Or to coordinate and ragequit players who they don't like, who probably are ones standing up for fair play. It would discourage alot of players from joining the opposing campaign to spy on movements and troll and distract the chat, to try and give an advantage to their main and favored faction. Some even snatch up hammers or scrolls to sabotage teams. These are just examples off the top of my head. I mean we can't start naming names of notorious players and guilds who do this man, but i won't go against the forums TOS, but you have to be in denial if you don't think it happens.

I mean one guild i was in has such a bad reputation i was getting hate whispers just for being in it. Then i found out myself what people were upset about and it was well warranted.
    Edited by CooloutAC on April 27, 2021 7:45PM
  • CooloutAC
    CooloutAC
    ✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    Just assign your AD chars to Gray Host

That is what I do

But I wish to be able to play with my friends or join social guild runs in other alliances

I never trolled anyone or hinder anyone's progress

I also dont have ARAA on NA and I want to farm montly transmutes

Why lock/punish everyone and take away this freedom

I say lock no cp and leave blackreach unlocked for those who don't care how imbalanced or exploited the teams are.
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    People wanted choices. Those that wanted faction lock and those that didn't, each choose the campaign they wanted. Unfortunately, the people that wanted no-cp faction didn't get a choice, but there aren't enough people to keep 4 campaigns populated.

When I have a 1-2 hour queue for Greyhost and Blackreach is one bar across the board, you have to wonder why it is even there and they don't spin up another faction locked campaign.

As for other posts above... I used to play BR, and its all about PVDing, not PVPing at all. The streamers love it too, because they can generally 1vX or small scale the PVDers pretty easily... and it makes them look good for their streamers. Honestly, if GH didn't have huge queue times on many occasions, there would be even less folks playing on BR. So while yes, you are technically winning the campaign by doing all the things that earn points for your faction... it generally isn't PVP.

What you don't understand, is that faction lock has nothing to do with it. WHen Greyhost (Or the relevant CP campaign at the time) was previously not faction locked, the same issue still existed. Queue times into the main CP camp, and one bar across on second camp. Why? Population. People play where there is people to play, regardless of if it is faction locked or not.

Also, playing "the way it was intended to play" would be removing faction locks, since One Tamriel unified the population to be able to play with friends no matter the faction. So I'd be careful with using that kind of language when it can backfire on your logic.

As far as whether to lock or unlock camps, unlocked is better for camp health and player population. Source: All camps were previously unlocked. Locking a camp to a faction doesn't stop the trolling, spying, etc. I would argue that Ravenwatch is far less toxic than Greyhost simply for the fact that there is a sizable population there just looking for good fights, and respects each other for it. On the other hand, in Greyhost you get a lot of "This faction teams, that person is garbage based on alliance choice, etc.".

As well, since Ravenwatch has a larger population or people just looking for good fights, they will correct the population imbalances by switching factions if theirs has too many people and running the map, which creates more fights (you know, the thing PvP was built for).

The point of all of this is: What has been shown, is that those who argue for faction lock do it at the detriment of the health of the game, and only for personal reasons. Any "facts" presented are disproven, and haave been so since we saw a full unlock a few years ago.
    Tsarra Venus Sylphyra - Stamplar PvP Bosmer Harrier
    VenusFállen - Magden PvP Nord Healer
    VenusFallen - Stamcro PvP Nord Brawler
    VenusFallèn - MagBlade PvP Dark Elf Ganker
    VeñusFallen - StamSorc PvP Bosmer Harrier
  • CooloutAC
    CooloutAC
    ✭✭
    Ishtharo wrote: »
    People wanted choices. Those that wanted faction lock and those that didn't, each choose the campaign they wanted. Unfortunately, the people that wanted no-cp faction didn't get a choice, but there aren't enough people to keep 4 campaigns populated.

When I have a 1-2 hour queue for Greyhost and Blackreach is one bar across the board, you have to wonder why it is even there and they don't spin up another faction locked campaign.

As for other posts above... I used to play BR, and its all about PVDing, not PVPing at all. The streamers love it too, because they can generally 1vX or small scale the PVDers pretty easily... and it makes them look good for their streamers. Honestly, if GH didn't have huge queue times on many occasions, there would be even less folks playing on BR. So while yes, you are technically winning the campaign by doing all the things that earn points for your faction... it generally isn't PVP.

What you don't understand, is that faction lock has nothing to do with it. WHen Greyhost (Or the relevant CP campaign at the time) was previously not faction locked, the same issue still existed. Queue times into the main CP camp, and one bar across on second camp. Why? Population. People play where there is people to play, regardless of if it is faction locked or not.

Also, playing "the way it was intended to play" would be removing faction locks, since One Tamriel unified the population to be able to play with friends no matter the faction. So I'd be careful with using that kind of language when it can backfire on your logic.

As far as whether to lock or unlock camps, unlocked is better for camp health and player population. Source: All camps were previously unlocked. Locking a camp to a faction doesn't stop the trolling, spying, etc. I would argue that Ravenwatch is far less toxic than Greyhost simply for the fact that there is a sizable population there just looking for good fights, and respects each other for it. On the other hand, in Greyhost you get a lot of "This faction teams, that person is garbage based on alliance choice, etc.".

As well, since Ravenwatch has a larger population or people just looking for good fights, they will correct the population imbalances by switching factions if theirs has too many people and running the map, which creates more fights (you know, the thing PvP was built for).

The point of all of this is: What has been shown, is that those who argue for faction lock do it at the detriment of the health of the game, and only for personal reasons. Any "facts" presented are disproven, and haave been so since we saw a full unlock a few years ago.

What you don't understand is what the guilds in grayhost literally say as to why they don't play the other campaigns. Why do you think they are dead in the first place ? it will take some time to build them back up.

NO i dea what One Tamriel means lol. On a seperate note, "I want to play with my friends" is the reason for the death of most competitive games that want an mmr matchmaker or an auto team balance. Since ELO was really designed for 1v1's, its impossible with random teamates let alone premade teams. SOrry i got side tracked.

I would argue the complete opposite of everything you said, and I wonder if you really even play cyrodil lol. Lets just say toxic chats are one thing, cheating and sabotagin teams and acting unsportlike and non competitive is another. Ravenwatch is where all the problems are. Grayhost is where one goes to avoid them.

IMO ZOS shoud lock the NO CP campaign since people play there for that alone, and leave blackreach unlocked for those who don't want to wait in GH qeue or want to play toons on other factions.

This last part shows you don't understand human nature. There are more people who will join the winning side for easy domination.. Blackreach in NA is an example of this. AD sometimes will literally be poplocked and have every single keep on the map, literally, while dc and ep have 1 bar and noone playing.

Edited by CooloutAC on April 29, 2021 1:58AM
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Every PVP guild I have been in or player I have talked to says the same thing... We/I don't play on BR because the faction swapping is dumb, trolls abound, and it ruins the game... oh.. and its dead. I don't play No CP, but I believe the poster above me is correct, people play there because it is No CP and levels the playing field, not because it isn't faction locked and it sounds like most would prefer it be locked.

I don't buy the sheep argument where everyone flocks to the same server, especially when you have a 2 hour wait to get in. Who in their right mind would choose to wait 2 hours if another viable option existed? Chances are your friends are logged out or are about to, before you even make it through the queue.

Maybe your point was valid back in 2016, but it is 5 years later now and I do not feel it holds water now. Also, One Tamriel as you said... simply allowed players to play with each other, it didn't end the 3 alliance war.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe its the same reason I stopped playing there. There are a couple guilds I haad quit who will literally get on discord together with other faction guilds to emp people or attack the 3rd place faction which I find lame. Eventually I didn't even bother saying LFG in the blackreach zone chat cause I knew they would probably be doing what I consider cheating.

I can't believe that this hasn't been added to ZOS's terms of service. This is most definitely considered cheating. If your account can get suspended for **stream sniping** then this should also be included on the list as well. This is what makes PvP campaigns so toxic. Those guilds whos in discord with other factions guilds making deals, and trading emperors should be ashamed of themselves. I can remember back when ZOS was banning people's account for exploiting the veteran Maw of Lorkhaj bug... people getting skins and achievements... this is no different than what those people did
    Edited by RaikaNA on May 1, 2021 7:13AM
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭

What you don't understand is what the guilds in grayhost literally say as to why they don't play the other campaigns. Why do you think they are dead in the first place ? it will take some time to build them back up.

NO i dea what One Tamriel means lol. On a seperate note, "I want to play with my friends" is the reason for the death of most competitive games that want an mmr matchmaker or an auto team balance. Since ELO was really designed for 1v1's, its impossible with random teamates let alone premade teams. SOrry i got side tracked.

I would argue the complete opposite of everything you said, and I wonder if you really even play cyrodil lol. Lets just say toxic chats are one thing, cheating and sabotagin teams and acting unsportlike and non competitive is another. Ravenwatch is where all the problems are. Grayhost is where one goes to avoid them.

IMO ZOS shoud lock the NO CP campaign since people play there for that alone, and leave blackreach unlocked for those who don't want to wait in GH qeue or want to play toons on other factions.

This last part shows you don't understand human nature. There are more people who will join the winning side for easy domination.. Blackreach in NA is an example of this. AD sometimes will literally be poplocked and have every single keep on the map, literally, while dc and ep have 1 bar and noone playing.

You sidestepped everything I said, and used "source: trust me bro" in place of everything else. You then created scenarios in your head to justify your stance. What I've said is true, and I play noCP, CP and IC while purposely avoiding PvE (it bores me). You even admit you have no idea what One Tamriel is, showing your age in the game (read: how long you have played) as well as your base knowledge of it.

I appreciate your opinion, but it's not a complete one, which I find common with those who advocate for faction locks (the other common one being "faction loyalty").
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭

Every PVP guild I have been in or player I have talked to says the same thing... We/I don't play on BR because the faction swapping is dumb, trolls abound, and it ruins the game... oh.. and its dead. I don't play No CP, but I believe the poster above me is correct, people play there because it is No CP and levels the playing field, not because it isn't faction locked and it sounds like most would prefer it be locked.

I don't buy the sheep argument where everyone flocks to the same server, especially when you have a 2 hour wait to get in. Who in their right mind would choose to wait 2 hours if another viable option existed? Chances are your friends are logged out or are about to, before you even make it through the queue.

Maybe your point was valid back in 2016, but it is 5 years later now and I do not feel it holds water now. Also, One Tamriel as you said... simply allowed players to play with each other, it didn't end the 3 alliance war.

You might not buy it, but it's how it works. Source: population trends previous when all campaigns were unlocked, which were the same as when all campaigns were locked. Also, I tend not to believe your first statement as guilds will gravitate to populated servers, especially any PvP guild worth their salt. If tomorrow, GH was 1 barred and BR was locked, those guilds would head into BR (minus any that may have a member almost emp) for the night.

And to point out another flaw, you don't buy the sheep argument for playing on a populated server, but you do buy it when it involves switching to the winning faction? Got to make up your mind here.

One Tamriel changed the way the game was played, and playing with each other, even in the alliance war, follows those lines. While I appreciate the point you are trying to make, you are instead trying to cherry pick what you like or don't like about an intended game mechanic to support your argument, which isn't how that works.

We have a locked campaign, and two unlocked right now (One CP and one noCP). I see no reason to change this. The faction loyalists get to play in their fantasy land, and we get ours. While I think GH would benefit from being unlocked, RW is my home (even with my 1100+ CP) because I prefer no faction lock and noCP.
  • CooloutAC
    CooloutAC
    ✭✭

I can't believe that this hasn't been added to ZOS's terms of service. This is most definitely considered cheating. If your account can get suspended for **stream sniping** then this should also be included on the list as well. This is what makes PvP campaigns so toxic. Those guilds whos in discord with other factions guilds making deals, and trading emperors should be ashamed of themselves. I can remember back when ZOS was banning people's account for exploiting the veteran Maw of Lorkhaj bug... people getting skins and achievements... this is no different than what those people did

Well, exploiting a bug is a bit different. I'm not even sure how you would prove people are trading ap across factions or coordinating strategies together especially if using 3rd party voice or messaging services.

You sidestepped everything I said, and used "source: trust me bro" in place of everything else. You then created scenarios in your head to justify your stance. What I've said is true, and I play noCP, CP and IC while purposely avoiding PvE (it bores me). You even admit you have no idea what One Tamriel is, showing your age in the game (read: how long you have played) as well as your base knowledge of it.

I appreciate your opinion, but it's not a complete one, which I find common with those who advocate for faction locks (the other common one being "faction loyalty").

I see your statements. But do you have any examples or explanations for them. Or are they just blank. You reply with no actual points to mine and it sounds more like a flamboyant concession bud. I simply gave my own experiences to concur with what others have already said in the thread. Are you sure you were even replying to the right guy? lol

Edited by CooloutAC on May 5, 2021 3:52AM
  • spotzhopz
    spotzhopz
    ✭✭✭
    I play in a guild that plays in ravenwatch twice a week with characters on one faction, and then next week on characters of the second faction, and the week after that on the 3rd, and then the cycle continues. Most of them do it for the transmutes, myself and others just for the social interaction. No matter what alliance were on we still play to win and get points for that alliance. This how i got started PvPing. Since starting its become the main thing i do in game. When im not with said guild i like to be able to pick which alliance im playing on because if i go in on a character and their alliance owns everything i have absolutely nothing to do. So i switch to a character on a different faction so i can find fights. Because theres no fun in being on an alliance thats dominating to the point that theres nothing left to do. So that would be a no for me
  • spotzhopz
    spotzhopz
    ✭✭✭
    Once you lose an emperor, you should be done for that campaign. You had your shot, and your leadership has been found wanting, you were dethroned and delegitimized. You're done!

I do like this idea though. Would give more people a chance to emp the honest way instead of the usual boosting that goes on. And also make it to where it wouldnt matter when someone cheats and boosts so much ap there impossible to catch up with.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spotzhopz wrote: »
    Once you lose an emperor, you should be done for that campaign. You had your shot, and your leadership has been found wanting, you were dethroned and delegitimized. You're done!

I do like this idea though. Would give more people a chance to emp the honest way instead of the usual boosting that goes on. And also make it to where it wouldnt matter when someone cheats and boosts so much ap there impossible to catch up with.

The whole emp system is broken at this point. Anything would be better than paying 5 million (or whatever) gold to get boosted to emp.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Blackreach full of small scalers and duelers? And the odd zerg guild apparently...

Better to have good fights than to just zerg down your opponents repeatedly and force them to log. Why call it PVP if you're just PVDooring?
    If this person truly didn't want to be Emperor.. why not leave the campaign to allow the second person to jump in the first place?
    And lose all those awesome rewards for finishing in the top 2%? :D Probably doesn't want to lose the transmutes actually.

So you're not happy because we're not playing exactly how you would want us to play? We play the way it's intended. We take keeps, grab scrolls and try to help our faction to win the campaign by getting as many points as we can possibly can. Some of us use strategy rather than continue getting farmed at a resource.

I'm just gonna chime in and say that it's ironic you say this because you made a thread complaining about a person not playing how you want them to play.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol that's one of the reasons why I basically only play in Gray Host.
    Faction jumping and "fake fight" AP grinding are much more common in other campaigns.
    I only visit other campaigns occasionally for a short leisure relax.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    Isn't Blackreach full of small scalers and duelers? And the odd zerg guild apparently...

Better to have good fights than to just zerg down your opponents repeatedly and force them to log. Why call it PVP if you're just PVDooring?
    If this person truly didn't want to be Emperor.. why not leave the campaign to allow the second person to jump in the first place?
    And lose all those awesome rewards for finishing in the top 2%? :D Probably doesn't want to lose the transmutes actually.

So you're not happy because we're not playing exactly how you would want us to play? We play the way it's intended. We take keeps, grab scrolls and try to help our faction to win the campaign by getting as many points as we can possibly can. Some of us use strategy rather than continue getting farmed at a resource.

I'm just gonna chime in and say that it's ironic you say this because you made a thread complaining about a person not playing how you want them to play.

Did you not read the part where I said that in order for me to switch my home campaign to another during an ongoing session... I must fork over over 100k AP for the switch? What I'm addressing is that people can swap factions without facing any consequences. Their tier reward is untouched... and they're still on the leaderboard. What gives? You can play however you desire... but I feel that if you want to swap factions you also need to forfeit your tier rewards and your position in the emp leaderboards.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you not read the part where I said that in order for me to switch my home campaign to another during an ongoing session... I must fork over over 100k AP for the switch? What I'm addressing is that people can swap factions without facing any consequences. Their tier reward is untouched... and they're still on the leaderboard. What gives? You can play however you desire... but I feel that if you want to swap factions you also need to forfeit your tier rewards and your position in the emp leaderboards.

100k AP is such little consequence.. you guys can make that in 40 minutes banging on doors.

People swap off AD when you roll the map. There's nothing left for them to do.

Most people I talk to on this campaign are looking for fights, and couldn't care less for campaign score.. It seems AD is only interested in campaign score, at the expense of the health of the campaign as far as PvP is concerned. It's no wonder people swap off.

Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »

100k AP is such little consequence.. you guys can make that in 40 minutes banging on doors.

Most people I talk to on this campaign are looking for fights, and couldn't care less for campaign score.. It seems AD is only interested in campaign score, at the expense of the health of the campaign as far as PvP is concerned. It's no wonder people swap off.

Funny you say that... I was playing DC on Blackreach one afternoon, I may have been the only one it seemed. AD was 3 bars and owned the entire map... I mean everything. So I though hey, I will solo a few resources, get some AP and sadly, give the AD some stuff to take back. Well I almost flipped the first resource when 23 AD descended on me and killed me on the spot. So, I rezzed at Southern Highrock and logged out.

To this day I wonder what in the world were they thinking. They quite effectively stopped everyone in their entire faction that was homed on BL... from being able to earn AP.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree that non-locked campaigns are rife with boosters and cheaters. The top 8ish on ever alliance are known boosters. Any given night you can find them trading ap and resources with their friends on other alliances. I personally don't see how that is any fun but maybe it makes them feel better about their life choices to Emp 10 times a campaign.

Having said all that, there are many legit players who are part of rainbow guilds that just want to play with their friends no matter the alliance, and that's why the choice is there.

Here's the thing though, BR could be locked and Raven left unlock, thereby still giving the option. Greyhost on XB is nearly unplayable on many toons, especially bow builds. Wanna see a poison injection lag out and never fire? Go to GH. It would benefit GH if the overpopulation in that campaign was evened out with BR, but you'll never see that without a locked BR.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    People swap? So? Usually it's to play with their friends which is exactly the behavior an MMO should support.

Thanks for pointing out this simple (but important) fact Agrippa! Indeed.

PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Lantivirus
    Lantivirus
    ✭✭
    PLEASE remove the faction lock from main camp. All I want to do is play on another faction for the last half of the month because mine is so overpopulated (and 5-10k over in score.) I'd swap next month, but then I couldn't play with the guild I want to.

Please remove faction locks - at least from Grey Host.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny you say that... I was playing DC on Blackreach one afternoon, I may have been the only one it seemed. AD was 3 bars and owned the entire map... I mean everything. So I though hey, I will solo a few resources, get some AP and sadly, give the AD some stuff to take back. Well I almost flipped the first resource when 23 AD descended on me and killed me on the spot. So, I rezzed at Southern Highrock and logged out.

To this day I wonder what in the world were they thinking. They quite effectively stopped everyone in their entire faction that was homed on BL... from being able to earn AP.

It's been the norm for a long time on BL.

Recently turned around though, DC is often 2-barred at prime time and

That's a regular day in BL. :^)

As OP pointed out, Blackreach AD don't care for AP, it's all in the name of campaign score.

DC actually picked up on this and decided to play their game, was holding a lead last I checked. 3Barred AD will be losing the map to 2bars DC and just give up, wait in base until DC goes to bed, then go door knocking.

AD actually played themselves by zerging EP right off the campaign, to the point EP had low pop bonus for a few straight days.. The bonus score managed to get them a score lead over AD. :D
    Blackreach really needs more EP presence.

Hopefully AD come to their senses and realize that campaign score is meaningless on Blackreach.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭

I've played since Beta. I advocate for faction locking on all campaigns except <50. Tamriel One dealt a heavy blow to Cyrodiil when they removed the campaign faction locks. People can research and read all the forum posts that discuss the pain points and toxic behavior; That is the reality when they unlocked account factions determined when you created your first character.

Tamriel One could have rolled out, as play with your friends online and kept PVP faction locks; it did open up an increase in grouping population for PVE; They could have locked campaigns and that would have had no impact on the bigger goal to allow players to play together.

Even today, you create a guild and must decide what faction it associates with...

There are plenty of people who want the E-ticket and participate in faction hoping and many of the toxic behavior. ZOS endorsed this behavior, and when you give an inch, people will take a mile. The campaigns will improve over time with a duration faction lock on all campaigns, you may play with whoever, but with a minor constraint.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 2014, you locked your account and that's what faction side you were fighting on. The problem is. People don't care about the faction war. ZOS went along with the crowd, everyone was happy: people got to exploit factions, faction hop, spy for friends, sell Emperor achievements,... The toxicity of the player base reaches it's turning point where players were turned away from PVP; Tamriel One unlocked campaigns - Yes, that update started the death spiral of Cyrodiil: They noticed what they did was not a brilliant path or helped the 3-way faction war - as they tried different attempts to discourage different behaviors. But, like modern day, the minority often overrule the majority; and over the years the advocates bleeding Cyrodiil dry. Would faction locks put the campaigns in the right direction? Probably not. Its hard to salvage; yet faction locks would help address the ease access that contributes to correcting the problems.
  • Xevothian
    Xevothian
    ✭✭
    TBois wrote: »
    Man it has been a while since I heard someone care about the campaign score in a low pop campaign. I used to care. Cut my teeth playing AD on Bloodthorn trying to dethrone Naw Sunrest every day. For those who were not around at launch with how dynamic ult gen, emp and dk's worked, this means I banged my head against a wall every evening to try and get as many points as possible. Suddenly after a year or so I stopped caring...because I realized ZOS doesn't care. These issues about emp and just the way the leaderboards are calculated have not been touched since day one. Soon enough you will come to the forums to complain about something else, actually maybe even the same issue, and you will think back to this thread. Why? Well one reason is that I'm telling you that you will remember this for the rest of your life, but another reason is that I am giving you the best answer to maximize your fun in ESO. The way to have fun in ESO is to ignore the bad ***. You will have a heart attack if you trouble yourself waiting for ZOS to fix something specific.

Dethroning Naw Sunrest was a right of passage for my guild back in the day.

Dang, that's some nostalgia right there.

I both loved and hated Bloodthorn for all that.

Glad to see there's a few of us still around that can compare/contrast the pre-1.5 patch Cyrodiil with what we have nowadays. But you're right about avoiding the stress. I stopped raid leading because my blood pressure literally went up 30 points from the start of it. I long ago learned (and suggest this to others) -- take a chill pill and take breaks when needed.

Cyrodiil doesn't give rewards that have any value (more like a gotcha prize) to the winners more than it gives the losers. The only thing is 'faction pride', and that's been dead for years. The locks were a bad idea, implemented at the behest of the paranoid, much like the proc disabling was as well. Vast, sweeping changes when instead it could be handled in one off ways (such as enforcing TOS against ACTUAL griefers, small a number as they were) or rebalancing the terrible sets like Crimson, Earthgore, and Harbinger.

Anyways, good post, @TBois . Glad to see old guard like you still around, hope you're being treated well by life in general and in ESO.

Just happened to be looking around on the forum and remembered your name from a while back, surprised you're still around.
    VR14 Dragonknight EP-Xevothian | VR14 Dragonknight DC- 'Xevothian | VR2 Sorcerer EP- Xevothiian |
    Guild- Sayians
    PvP for life
    Whisper me in-game @Xevothian for a duel
  • HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    Even with factionlock GH is a mess. A lot of people have more than one account to hop on whatever faction they want at any given time. Double teaming happens there too. Night capping etc. is all a thing there as well. DC on PC NA GH is gated and got no scrolls as I tipe, though its in the lead of the campaign. Team orange is a thing (while team green was the campaign before) and will most likely stay that way until campaign ends. Next campaign? Who knows. Organized guilds still cooperate together cross faction wide. The whole factionlock thing is just as useless as the no-factionlock ruleset, while the most toxic behaviour happens on the no-factionlock campaigns.

I still think they should just get rid of factionlock barrier for GH as well and invent a whole different campaign/reward system instead. If it has any kind of factionlock they should at least stop restricting it to the whole account. At the end it all comes down to the reward for the people.

Less players are playing cyrodiil for the hope of having good fights. Because why should they? You login, ride miles and miles just to get literallty instant killed by some bomb. No camp nearby to respawn. No rez at keep because its lit. No player cares to rez you either. So this means, all of this repeats. Enjoy riding miles and miles again, to get bombed once more and struggle with getting back to the fight in time. So you try avoiding bombs, like going for stuff like RSS capturing. Wanna flip it back, but now you got at least 1 tower ***. The player/s get lured into the tower or wherever else this dude wants to LoS dance and jump. Half of your skills miss, because tower *** is speedy AND tanky. And just bursts the player down. Where is the fun there? Learning the game? Watching videos for hours? Who on earth is even willing to go through any hassle to first learn something when you will still end up dead on the ground because the game mechanics clearly rewards one side only? What is there to learn when stuff like scroll buffs, emp buff, etc. is just another advantage of the opposing players? When you can just quit the game, and jump straight into REAL fun in a different game without any effort whatsoever.

So its not just about factionlock, but also what cyrodiil is about in general. Actual fun when fighting generally turns to frustration way too fast when there is only bombs, tower humpers, LoSers etc. If solo/new players would get rewarded accordingly for their efforts with better options to respawn, and rewards constisting f.e. of sets in purple or gold quality (which are comparable to the ongoing oneshot bomb group damage on a single target, possible with every class not just heavy attack builds or nb gankers), then even solo roamers would login way more often and get their dose of fun out of this PvP without the need to "learn" or "outplay". While these things don't guarantee you any success either. This whole outplaying is more about outnumbering (even if it means double team time), outrunning (with LoSing like a madman), outhealing (usually by healstack from several others players) means no casual will ever stand even a slight chance of turning those fights around.

While ZOS is at it, they can just make every single player become an unkillable oneshot god and not just ball groups. Looks like certain gear combos from High Isle already lean towards this exact direction. On the flipside, the campaign systems remain untouched.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

As this thread was originally created in April 2021, we decided to close it down. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.