The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Fun Fact magicka vs stamina

• ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mostly Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    Juhasow wrote: »
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    Bone shield is 15% of your max HP, dampen magic and hardened ward are both ~20% of your max magicka.
    So in order to have a higher shield than a mag dd with 40k magicka, they would need more than 53k HP. In which case they are not plaing a stamina build but a hp tank.

magicka shields are capped on 50% of max health. as an example if u have 25 k health and 35 k magicka ur healing ward should give u around 7500 and bone shield is then 8000 with lesser costs while it even has synergy going for it ofcourse also reflect effect if u morph it to that.

You haven't been introduced to battle spirit yet right?

[Quoted post was removed]

Specifically yes. The others shields are capped at at a certain HP percentage but scale with magicka. Conjured Ward/Annulment will give you up to 50% HP but does not scale with HP. So with 26k and 40K Magicka, you are looking at a 13k Shield.
    Where as with 26k HP, you won't get bigger than 3.9k Bone Shield.

in bg my healing ward gives me like 2900 shields while bone shield gives me 3500 or so. im sitting at 35 k magicka and 23 k health.

i could log in my sorc to test what u said but ill trust u on this and state that not every magicka user is a sorc and other magicka classes rely on dampen magic and ward.

Healing ward , annulment and bone shield all have different types of calculating finał shield size. And You seems to not understand any of them if Your answer to someone taking about annulment/conjured ward is showing the results of bone shield vs healing ward comparison.

the point is not talking about which shield is stronger etc. im just pointing out that stam classes even tho they have a shield are not using it due to the mitigation given by rolldodge thus having an innate advantage against magicka thats all

If stam setups would have acces to 8-10k shields today then they would obviously use it that's all.

Can u go battlegrounds with magblade magden Magplar and confirm any shield having 10 k by Posting a screenshot?
    The values ur talking about are weird.
    As i stated before at a value of 25 k HP and 35k mag boneshield still superior or keeping up with mag shields.

So either way ur lying or my game is bugged

There is also a third option. You don't understand things You're talking about.

Here are shield values in no CP Cyro (equivalent of BG) for a character with 24,4k HP and 35,7k mag (keep in mind that dampen will get also 6% boost for each light armor piece so atleast +30% on that shield which gives around 7,2k atleast)

The reason why Your reasoning failed is because You don't know how shields work and how they scale.

wheres the 10 k u talked about ?
    also u cant bring sorcs shields up no other magicka class has access to them.
    if u wanna consider secondary effects than a 85 % reflect + synergy is kinda strong.

Where do I mention that 10k shield I am taking about is a value that You get in no CP or with 35k magicka ? There is more builds then just 35k magicka no CP ones and I was taking about 8-10k shields not just 10 k shields. Both shields I linked are almost reaching 8k without building for It (I was wearing PvE crit based setup).

So I cannot link magsorc shield because It's too specific but You can bring up specific stam classes when it suits You ? Interresting.

We're taking about shield sizes and dampen magic secondary effect is excatly that. With 3,9 k shield size bone shield secondary effects are garbage. To reflect decent amount of dmg in PvP You would need to build high health setup (like 60k HP) and synergy have really small radius and 20 sec cooldown so outside of specific PvE moments It's not very usefull.

Lastly throghout all this threads You mention how good stamina defense is because of acces to dodge roll but lately mag build can also dodge really often with light armor reducing dodge cost and overal stam pools on mag setups very often coming close to 20k.

Your argumentation is really flawed from the top to the bottom. Fact that certain stam setups are really strong these days is not connected to the fact that roll dodge is so strong that stam builds refuse to use shield they have acces to.
    Edited by Juhasow on March 23, 2021 2:49PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bone shield is 15% of your max HP, dampen magic and hardened ward are both ~20% of your max magicka.
    So in order to have a higher shield than a mag dd with 40k magicka, they would need more than 53k HP. In which case they are not plaing a stamina build but a hp tank.

magicka shields are capped on 50% of max health. as an example if u have 25 k health and 35 k magicka ur healing ward should give u around 7500 and bone shield is then 8000 with lesser costs while it even has synergy going for it ofcourse also reflect effect if u morph it to that.

Specifically yes. The others shields are capped at at a certain HP percentage but scale with magicka. Conjured Ward/Annulment will give you up to 50% HP but does not scale with HP. So with 26k and 40K Magicka, you are looking at a 13k Shield.

in bg my healing ward gives me like 2900 shields while bone shield gives me 3500 or so. im sitting at 35 k magicka and 23 k health.

i could log in my sorc to test what u said but ill trust u on this and state that not every magicka user is a sorc and other magicka classes rely on dampen magic and ward.

Healing ward , annulment and bone shield all have different types of calculating finał shield size. And You seems to not understand any of them if Your answer to someone taking about annulment/conjured ward is showing the results of bone shield vs healing ward comparison.

the point is not talking about which shield is stronger etc. im just pointing out that stam classes even tho they have a shield are not using it due to the mitigation given by rolldodge thus having an innate advantage against magicka thats all

If stam setups would have acces to 8-10k shields today then they would obviously use it that's all.

Can u go battlegrounds with magblade magden Magplar and confirm any shield having 10 k by Posting a screenshot?
    As i stated before at a value of 25 k HP and 35k mag boneshield still superior or keeping up with mag shields.

Here are shield values in no CP Cyro (equivalent of BG) for a character with 24,4k HP and 35,7k mag (keep in mind that dampen will get also 6% boost for each light armor piece so atleast +30% on that shield which gives around 7,2k atleast)

The reason why Your reasoning failed is because You don't know how shields work and how they scale.

if u wanna consider secondary effects than a 85 % reflect + synergy is kinda strong.

Lastly throghout all this threads You mention how good stamina defense is because of acces to dodge roll but lately mag build can also dodge really often with light armor reducing dodge cost and overal stam pools on mag setups very often coming close to 20k.

thats 3 % how does that improve anything.
    Edited by Noctus on March 23, 2021 2:48PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip] i wanted to bring it up u mentioned that the stam shield is not even 80 %

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9PkwkQfkc

[Edited to remove Discussing Disciplinary Actions]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 3:31PM
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip] i wanted to bring it up u mentioned that the stam shield is not even 80 %

You aren't in pvp...
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's 3% per piece.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 3% per piece.

my bad 15 % then for most light armor users is it not ?
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't in pvp...

if i would be both shields would get nerfed i wanted to have numbers where u can figure out the % by just looking becouse of what the person said that i was quoting
    my estimation is 3900 for boneshield and 4500 for dampen
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You aren't in pvp...

if i would be both shields would get nerfed i wanted to have numbers where u can figure out the % by just looking becouse of what the person said that i was quoting

Then please go into pvp and confirm those numbers rather than make a guess about them.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 3:32PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't in pvp...

Then please go into pvp and confirm those numbers rather than make a guess about them.

also watch skill cost..... also consider that u can morph it to this https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/spiked-bone-shield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktcC3UmG6JE
    Edited by Noctus on March 23, 2021 4:36PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip] I mentioned that during PTS test few years ago stam scaling bone shield was usually around 80% size of magicka counterparts.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 4:10PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip] I mentioned that during PTS test few years ago stam scaling bone shield was usually around 80% size of magicka counterparts.

and u said that was the time everyone was using it right ?
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 4:09PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You still don't understand how shields work don't You ?

Also it's worth to keep in mind that during the era I was talking about stam setups were just adding the shield to their kit without changing setup a lot so they were not sacrificing any sustain or offense stats to reach 80% of shield size that mag setups had to sacrifice something to get.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 23, 2021 4:10PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also it's worth to keep in mind that during the era I was talking about stam setups were just adding the shield to their kit without changing setup a lot so they were not sacrificing any sustain or offense stats to reach 80% of shield size that mag setups had to sacrifice something to get.

its not rocket science. it scales of my max magicka with the limit of 50 % hp and it get halfed in pvp.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't in pvp...

sry i wanted to reupload with spiked boneshield as stated the cost is also lower
    nvm the shield is actually lower on spiked boneshield but not by much

however im ending it here i dont wanna carry on with this thread. but as u saw they are not much different in strength.
    Edited by Noctus on March 23, 2021 4:52PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't in pvp...

sry i wanted to reupload with spiked boneshield as stated the cost is also lower
    nvm the shield is actually lower on spiked boneshield but not by much

however im ending it here i dont wanna carry on with this thread. but as u saw they are not much different in strength.

Those shields are completly different in strenght and it seems like You know it if You removed the video and don't want to continue Your tests.

First of all 8k bone shield is not reaching 80% of effectiveness of 11k dampen because dampen magic is being buffed by atleast 30% so real shield value on it is closer to 15k. If You'll go to PvP area with them that bone shield will drop to 4k and dampen will drop to effective 7,5k. That makes dampen almost 2 times stronger shield then bone shield in PvP for someone with 25k health and 35k magicka.
    Edited by axi on March 23, 2021 5:25PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

its not rocket science. it scales of my max magicka with the limit of 50 % hp and it get halfed in pvp.

But You still seem to not know that dampen tooltip is not being affected by +6% strenght for every light armor piece. Same like You didn't know how healing ward works when compared it to bone shield. Also while Your description of shield scaling is ok You need to remember that sometimes shield size in PvE is being blocked by HP limitation so in PvP shield can end up[ being stronger then 50% of its PvE version.
  • Scarkii
    Scarkii
    ✭✭✭
    i have no idea what the OP is going on about with "mag need shields to survive" cause ive literally never used a shield and ive been perfectly fine ofc a shield would help since they cant be critted but still never had a issue
    "Even the slightest amount of courage can change the tides of War"
    Former DK main
    Characters - Templar - Sharaji EP/ DK - S'avira EP
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

But You still seem to not know that dampen tooltip is not being affected by +6% strenght for every light armor piece. Same like You didn't know how healing ward works when compared it to bone shield. Also while Your description of shield scaling is ok You need to remember that sometimes shield size in PvE is being blocked by HP limitation so in PvP shield can end up[ being stronger then 50% of its PvE version.

it is a secondary effect if u take into consideration the reflect than by sheer numbers boneshield wins no matter what... why becouse u not just have the protection but the dmg its the same with crimson it not just dmg but also heals thats why its so effective and the same for the lifesteal monster set which many ppl use.

lets summarize boneshield: costs less, reflects 100 % direct damage, and on top has synergy
    dampen magic: increases by 30% (if u consider ALL magic users use light armor which is not the case)

at around 25 k and 34k magica we are allready looking at 80 % base effectivity without secondary effects + less cost

i rly dont want to continue arguing here. i get it ill continue as stamina character and the only magicka character worth playing is sorc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcWT5AUO7g
    Edited by Noctus on March 23, 2021 6:36PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvP shield can end up[ being stronger then 50% of its PvE version.

eh what ?
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [q
    dampen magic: increases by 30% (if u consider ALL magic users use light armor which is not the case)

How do you use dampen magic without wearing at least 5 pieces of light armor?
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [q

How do you use dampen magic without wearing at least 5 pieces of light armor?

not at all leaving only resto shield which is even lower. its around ~3000 with the same stats.

5x6% is 30 % right ?

thing is ppl expect all magic users to have access to dampen magic thats why i said that

ive put 30 % becouse for each piece its 6% increase and the minimum of light armor u need is 5. i think u missunderstood something and i see why or didnt u realize that its 6 % each piece that it makes 30 % ?

Edited by Noctus on March 23, 2021 8:38PM
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a secondary effect if u take into consideration the reflect than by sheer numbers boneshield wins no matter what... why becouse u not just have the protection but the dmg its the same with crimson it not just dmg but also heals thats why its so effective and the same for the lifesteal monster set which many ppl use.

lets summarize boneshield: costs less, reflects 100 % direct damage, and on top has synergy

at around 25 k and 34k magica we are allready looking at 80 % base effectivity without secondary effects + less cost

i rly dont want to continue arguing here. i get it ill continue as stamina character and the only magicka character worth playing is sorc.

Bone shield reflect is useless unless You build high health setup. You can argue as long Yopu want but You won't change the reality.

For example Your 8k bone shield drops down to 4k in PvP. Then dmg reflected is being affected by battle spirit , resistances , and other sources of dmg reduction so You end up getting something like 1k dmg from it. So on setup with 25k hp and 35k magicka You end up with 4k shield + 1k reflected direct dmg from bone shield and vs 7-8k shield from dampen. Dampen secondary effect wins by a mile.

Finally I am really not buying Your argumentation that You've started with that shields are core defense for mag setups. Except from maybe magsorc all the other classses have build in class defenses other then shields they're using (usually mag scaling burst heals).
    Edited by axi on March 24, 2021 8:25PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For example Your 8k bone shield drops down to 4k in PvP. Then dmg reflected is being affected by battle spirit , resistances , and other sources of dmg reduction so You end up getting something like 1k dmg from it. So on setup with 25k hp and 35k magicka You end up with 4k shield + 1k reflected direct dmg .

wait what ? the skill says 100 % reflect dmg did u ever test that ? can someone confirm ?
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For example Your 8k bone shield drops down to 4k in PvP. Then dmg reflected is being affected by battle spirit , resistances , and other sources of dmg reduction so You end up getting something like 1k dmg from it. So on setup with 25k hp and 35k magicka You end up with 4k shield + 1k reflected direct dmg .

wait what ? the skill says 100 % reflect dmg did u ever test that ? can someone confirm ?

Yes it says 100% dmg but You need to remember that every dmg in this game (except oblivion dmg) underlies dmg reduction formulas.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be awesome for stamina users to burn through their Stamina recasting Bone Shield. It will make it easier to bring them down when their all out of resources. Stun incoming and stand back outside their proc range. Who needs to kite when they chew through their stamina trying to mitigate damage.