The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is the group cap 24? Perhaps it should be 12 like trials?

• Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Reduce group size to 12 and keep AOE healing and buffs in-group only. Ez fix for lag.

It is easy to suggest such things are easy fixes. Since we know the issue has more to do with the number of skills being used at a specific location the idea does little, if anything, to resolve the issue.

I agree with Joy, that it would be worth a try though it is not expected to solve anything. Heck, performance today is worse than it was back when we had larger populations in Cyrodiil.

If AOE healing is kept in-group only the server won't have to do as many calculations, and simply check who is lowest hp in the group instead of "who of these 90 zerglings around me is the lowest" for every healing skill and buff being cast in cyrodiil. Add this on top of a maximum of 12 in a group and we're there no problem.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce group size to 12 and keep AOE healing and buffs in-group only. Ez fix for lag.

It is easy to suggest such things are easy fixes. Since we know the issue has more to do with the number of skills being used at a specific location the idea does little, if anything, to resolve the issue.

I agree with Joy, that it would be worth a try though it is not expected to solve anything. Heck, performance today is worse than it was back when we had larger populations in Cyrodiil.

If AOE healing is kept in-group only the server won't have to do as many calculations, and simply check who is lowest hp in the group instead of "who of these 90 zerglings around me is the lowest" for every healing skill and buff being cast in cyrodiil. Add this on top of a maximum of 12 in a group and we're there no problem.

Oddly, the suggestion actually favors larger groups and zergs over small and solo players. It would make Cyrodiil even more zerg friendly for what is possibly a very small benefit.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oddly, the suggestion actually favors larger groups and zergs over small and solo players. It would make Cyrodiil even more zerg friendly for what is possibly a very small benefit.

It also heavily favour ball-groups... once again. This change literally force players to stack and play only ballgroup way, and since ballgroups are main offenders - will make problem even worse.
  • bigdavid11b16_ESO
    bigdavid11b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    The day that nobody could group game wide, was the day that cyrodiil had zero lag with full pop. nobody in groups meant that nobody was spamming all of these utility skills like PURGE, which produces a debuff check among 24 players , times that by how many people are spamming, times how many casts per person. A massive part of our issues are group size and group utility skills multiplied by casts x people.

The reason i know this, is i was there and experienced it fully. it was the most fun ive had in the game, in years. All to be patched a day later, and everything + lag went back to normal.

I remember that day. It was glorious indeed.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    JinxxND wrote: »
    Limiting group size to 12 mathematically accomplishes exactly zero things. There are no heals, buffs, or item sets that go past 12 players, and most are capped far far below that at 2-6. Thus, at 12 players you still have the AoE checks constantly going out at the same rate as before. It does nothing except make social people who have more than 11 friends have to do extra work just to play together.

If there was ever a bug where grouping was impossible, and you feel like lag issues "went away" as a result, the answer is obvious: none of the big coordinated groups were playing. If you have a bunch of pugs running around bow light attacking each other, then of course you're going to see less lag, there's no AoE checks going out. If you want big and interesting fights going on, though, then as mentioned above with the math, limiting to 12 players does exactly nothing.

You clearly do not understand smart healing, no the point is that smaller group and limiting heals to only group the server when you hit rapid regen or use a proc like earthgore no longer has to look at people outside your group or within a large 12+ man and within a split second decide thru all its checks who gets the heal due to there their health. It no longer has to check everyone within the huge radius and see who needs the heal then fire off to them, its just to take that much work off of the servers without changing core mechanics of the game that have been in place for years like they proposed

Big oof on your part trying to argue that smart heals with a lower group size are going to significantly impact the lag. Smart heals are giant AoEs whose only saving grace is that they prefer group members first, meaning the first pass of AoE targeting will pull from a smaller pool. However! It will still hit people outside your group. My testing indicates that as long as people in your group have the buff, you will then start hitting people outside the group. That means, contrary to your initial statement, that having a smaller group is more risky for server lag than having a larger group because it's more likely that your group all has the HoT already, thus making the server start checking everyone other valid target. I'm sure generating the actual probability table would be horrendously complicated, but at any rate, you appear to be completely wrong about smart heals and group size, at least for values of 12 versus 24.

Also, having 24 friends in a group together is just as much of a core mechanic of the game as spammable AoEs. Have some empathy for people that want to play together. And please advocate for ideas that would actually work to reduce lag instead of jumping on this tired old mathematically-disproven concept. I really doubt I'm the first one to point out that this suggestion would not actually do anything.

You didn't read everything I posted, I also mentioned that you would make it so you can only heal within group so there would be no heals going outside of group, everyone knows it's when a ball groups comes by and starts spamming and stacking these smart heals and AoE the game lags out. You limit all heals to group the smart heals and AoE heals only affect those in the group then make group size only 12 at max if you want a bigger zerg/raid then coordinate splitting healers/purge spammers dmg dealers chain pullers between group. Yeah you have to actually think about who's gonna be in a group now but it would reduce server strain a lot, also limit heals stacking you shouldn't be able to have a million of these rapid regen/echoing vigor on you limit it to a smaller number
    Edited by JinxxND on July 30, 2020 6:17PM
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Limiting group size to 12 mathematically accomplishes exactly zero things. There are no heals, buffs, or item sets that go past 12 players, and most are capped far far below that at 2-6. Thus, at 12 players you still have the AoE checks constantly going out at the same rate as before. It does nothing except make social people who have more than 11 friends have to do extra work just to play together.

If there was ever a bug where grouping was impossible, and you feel like lag issues "went away" as a result, the answer is obvious: none of the big coordinated groups were playing. If you have a bunch of pugs running around bow light attacking each other, then of course you're going to see less lag, there's no AoE checks going out. If you want big and interesting fights going on, though, then as mentioned above with the math, limiting to 12 players does exactly nothing.

You clearly do not understand smart healing, no the point is that smaller group and limiting heals to only group the server when you hit rapid regen or use a proc like earthgore no longer has to look at people outside your group or within a large 12+ man and within a split second decide thru all its checks who gets the heal due to there their health. It no longer has to check everyone within the huge radius and see who needs the heal then fire off to them, its just to take that much work off of the servers without changing core mechanics of the game that have been in place for years like they proposed

Big oof on your part trying to argue that smart heals with a lower group size are going to significantly impact the lag. Smart heals are giant AoEs whose only saving grace is that they prefer group members first, meaning the first pass of AoE targeting will pull from a smaller pool. However! It will still hit people outside your group. My testing indicates that as long as people in your group have the buff, you will then start hitting people outside the group. That means, contrary to your initial statement, that having a smaller group is more risky for server lag than having a larger group because it's more likely that your group all has the HoT already, thus making the server start checking everyone other valid target. I'm sure generating the actual probability table would be horrendously complicated, but at any rate, you appear to be completely wrong about smart heals and group size, at least for values of 12 versus 24.

Also, having 24 friends in a group together is just as much of a core mechanic of the game as spammable AoEs. Have some empathy for people that want to play together. And please advocate for ideas that would actually work to reduce lag instead of jumping on this tired old mathematically-disproven concept. I really doubt I'm the first one to point out that this suggestion would not actually do anything.

This is completely false.

You just said heals are prioritizing people in the group first and if not they will hit people outside of it. If the server is pulling from a list of people in group only, it'd run a check on the group only. If it then goes beyond the group, it's running a pull after that one. Somehow you think this isnt going to be tasking everytime people are popping multiple AOEs as well? What sort of dream world do you live in where the second table pulled there is magically nontasking to the server?

Limiting group sizes wouldnt do much unless they limited heals and buffs in conjunction with it. I believe targeted heals should still be able to heal outside your group. That is, if you cast BoL and are actually targeting a player outside of your group, it would factor them in to be healed. This would allow you to still heal outside the group, but not do so blindly in the area and pull every available person.

Stating being in a 24man is as core to the gameplay as spamming AOEs is probably the most ridiculous part of this post. The combat system, which includes AOEs and how skills work, is cort to the combat system. Groups being size of 24 in Cyro is core to the cyrodiil grouping experience, that is it. Limiting groups to 12 doesnt mean you cant play with friends. Thatd be akin to guilds that run 60+ people in Cyrodiil today saying they cant play with their friends either. The reality is they do every night, they make 2-3 raids with 1 guild.

Saying these changes 'would not actually do anything' is someone that would prefer keeping in any mechanic that will coddle the gameplay experience even if it means everyone playing is lagging out and not even playing the game in a functional state anymore. This is why we have faction stacks doing this exact thing.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »

You just said heals are prioritizing people in the group first and if not they will hit people outside of it. If the server is pulling from a list of people in group only, it'd run a check on the group only. If it then goes beyond the group, it's running a pull after that one. Somehow you think this isnt going to be tasking everytime people are popping multiple AOEs as well? What sort of dream world do you live in where the second table pulled there is magically nontasking to the server?

Limiting group sizes wouldnt do much unless they limited heals and buffs in conjunction with it. I believe targeted heals should still be able to heal outside your group. That is, if you cast BoL and are actually targeting a player outside of your group, it would factor them in to be healed. This would allow you to still heal outside the group, but not do so blindly in the area and pull every available person.

Stating being in a 24man is as core to the gameplay as spamming AOEs is probably the most ridiculous part of this post. The combat system, which includes AOEs and how skills work, is cort to the combat system. Groups being size of 24 in Cyro is core to the cyrodiil grouping experience, that is it. Limiting groups to 12 doesnt mean you cant play with friends. Thatd be akin to guilds that run 60+ people in Cyrodiil today saying they cant play with their friends either. The reality is they do every night, they make 2-3 raids with 1 guild.

Saying these changes 'would not actually do anything' is someone that would prefer keeping in any mechanic that will coddle the gameplay experience even if it means everyone playing is lagging out and not even playing the game in a functional state anymore. This is why we have faction stacks doing this exact thing.

[snip] I literally spent the whole first paragraph explaining that the second poll after your group is accounted for does, in fact, lag the server, and that the smaller your group size the more you're at risk for doing so.

[snip] forming large 24-person groups is a core game experience outside Cyrodiil as well. Have you never been in a dolmen grind, zone clear group, holiday event farm group, or any other fun PvE overworld activity? It goes way beyond Cyrodiil. [snip]

[snip] I'm pretty sure I sufficiently explained why reducing group size isn't going to change the lag situation. Meanwhile, I've made plenty of informed suggestions over on the main thread about the AoE tests which might actually help reduce the lag without putting a cooldown on every skill. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on July 31, 2020 1:02PM
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tail starts to wag the dog...and it's the *** part of the dog...when you get over 16.
    People run max to counter other groups who will be max. Not necessarily because that's optimal team performance.
    Edited by merevie on July 31, 2020 11:51AM
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭

This, smaller group size and limiting heals and buff to only group that can on get to 12 players max same as end game trials, if you want to make a group bigger then 12 just coordinate a 2nd group and go around together, yes you have to actually coordinate and think about your 12 man group with healer/dps comp. Server has way less calculations it has todo as it only looks at your group and never outside of it. Doesn't ruin mechanics that have been in game for years and still allows people to ball up if they want just requiring more coordination and who is in what group
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

[snip] I literally spent the whole first paragraph explaining that the second poll after your group is accounted for does, in fact, lag the server, and that the smaller your group size the more you're at risk for doing so.

[snip] forming large 24-person groups is a core game experience outside Cyrodiil as well. Have you never been in a dolmen grind, zone clear group, holiday event farm group, or any other fun PvE overworld activity? It goes way beyond Cyrodiil. [snip]

[snip] I'm pretty sure I sufficiently explained why reducing group size isn't going to change the lag situation. Meanwhile, I've made plenty of informed suggestions over on the main thread about the AoE tests which might actually help reduce the lag without putting a cooldown on every skill. [snip]

Yea, in overland you dont need to be in group with 200 people to clear the dolman either. Just furthers the point this isnt really a big deal to play with friends. You still can play with them, even if the group is broken up so the server doesnt have a heart attack.

The unwillingness to change here is the unwillingness to learn basic group play. You've already shown to lack any real experience in what starts a laggy situation. We have plenty who see it every day on stream. Faction stacks and full raid ball groups. Same issue is always at play.
    Edited by FENGRUSH on July 31, 2020 5:51PM
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that group size should be shortened to 12 and that all healing and utility skills should be limited to a group. Even a solo player should be considered a group of 1.

There is one feature that I think should be enhanced if this change is implemented though...

PvP in game group finder.

I think it would be nice if there was a tool that allowed a player to mark them self as a "pick up group" lead (maybe even have a team name) and when a player joins Cyrodiil or IC solo they are presented with a list of active groups they can join, or cancel and go solo (or join a guild formed group), but with the understanding that solo play will be harder since various healing and support will not go to a solo player.

Playing since beta...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    I agree that group size should be shortened to 12 and that all healing and utility skills should be limited to a group. Even a solo player should be considered a group of 1.

There is one feature that I think should be enhanced if this change is implemented though...

PvP in game group finder.

I think it would be nice if there was a tool that allowed a player to mark them self as a "pick up group" lead (maybe even have a team name) and when a player joins Cyrodiil or IC solo they are presented with a list of active groups they can join, or cancel and go solo (or join a guild formed group), but with the understanding that solo play will be harder since various healing and support will not go to a solo player.

There used to be a Cyrodiil groupfinder. Almost no one used it, so ZOS removed it when they reworked groupfinder.

Thing is, most people don't want just "a group." They want a group with a leader who has some idea of where to find fights and how to lead a bunch of PUGs on slow horses to stick together long enough to win fights and make AP. That leadership is harder than most people think.

That's why most people just use LFG to join active PUG raids instead. Or, if they are serious about wanting a group, they join a PVP guild.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, in overland you dont need to be in group with 200 people to clear the dolman either. Just furthers the point this isnt really a big deal to play with friends. You still can play with them, even if the group is broken up so the server doesnt have a heart attack.

The unwillingness to change here is the unwillingness to learn basic group play. You've already shown to lack any real experience in what starts a laggy situation. We have plenty who see it every day on stream. Faction stacks and full raid ball groups. Same issue is always at play.

You don't need everyone in a trials group to actually be grouped together either, yet it's there anyway as a convenience function. And again, the larger group size is not an issue for the server. The only thing anyone has pointed out that's affected by group size is the first pool the server pulls from for smart heals, which doesn't mean much to begin with as heals are capped at low numbers, and especially doesn't mean much compared to the rest of the AoEs going out that have nothing to do with group size. Trying to make group size an issue is only done in complete ignorance of the math involved.

It's pretty silly to suggest that I lack experience regarding what starts a laggy situation, btw, I've been PvPing for years. Where precisely did I demonstrate a lack of experience? As for faction stacks and ball groups, yeah, everybody knows they're the ones who are causing the lag, but if you're suggesting that it's the group size itself causing an issue, you're just proving that you lack the background in math or engineering which would let you make informed comments on the issue. The problem with large groups stems from their coordinated use of AoEs generally. The vast majority of these make no distinction between a 12-person or 24-person group.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You don't need everyone in a trials group to actually be grouped together either, yet it's there anyway as a convenience function. And again, the larger group size is not an issue for the server. The only thing anyone has pointed out that's affected by group size is the first pool the server pulls from for smart heals, which doesn't mean much to begin with as heals are capped at low numbers, and especially doesn't mean much compared to the rest of the AoEs going out that have nothing to do with group size. Trying to make group size an issue is only done in complete ignorance of the math involved.

It's pretty silly to suggest that I lack experience regarding what starts a laggy situation, btw, I've been PvPing for years. Where precisely did I demonstrate a lack of experience? As for faction stacks and ball groups, yeah, everybody knows they're the ones who are causing the lag, but if you're suggesting that it's the group size itself causing an issue, you're just proving that you lack the background in math or engineering which would let you make informed comments on the issue. The problem with large groups stems from their coordinated use of AoEs generally. The vast majority of these make no distinction between a 12-person or 24-person group.

wut?
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

wut?

Strictly from a mechanical perspective, you shouldn't need a group to complete a trial. It's purely a convenience feature and could have been left out of the game. It is currently the only way to actually get people into the same trial together, but if ZOS implemented some other method of getting into the same trial, like an event ID lookup or some other nonsense, but that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? That's how people sound when they suggest reducing group size.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Due to the age of this thread, and the fact it may contain outdated information, we have gone ahead and closed it down. If anyone would like to continue conversation on this subject, please feel free to create a new thread for discussion.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.