The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Kyne's Aegis Hard Mode beaten after buffs !

MaddPowered
MaddPowered
✭✭✭✭✭
ttu9updn4w5j.png

Our group has once again beaten the new trial in hard mode. The buffs made it a lot harder, and honestly i think it's in a perfect spot as it is. I like how the mechanics hit a lot harder, and the new execute mechanic really adds some more challenge.
World's First Planesbreaker
World's First Bugged Planesbreaker
World's First Dawnbringer
World's Third Godslayer
World's Second Immortal Redeemer
World's Third Gryphon Heart

Top scores :
vAA - 4D (PC NA) - 154,068 - 8:31 Greymoor
vSO - 4D (PC NA) - 180,238 - 11:28 Greymoor
vHRC - 4D (PC NA) - 163,258 - 8:28 Greymoor
vMOL - Calamity (PC NA) - 174,680 - 9:42 Stonethorn
vHOF - 4D (PC NA) - 232,362 - 14:11 Greymoor
vAS - 4D (PC NA) - 117,014 - 2:41 Stonethorn
vCR - Calamity (PC NA) - 136,091 - 3:45 Stonethorn
vSS - 4D (PC NA) - 255,552 - 21:34 Greymoor
vKA - 4D (PC NA) - 247,292 - 16:19 Greymoor
vRG - Calamity (PC NA) - 301,438 - 24:21 Blackwood
  • kabs12
    kabs12
    Soul Shriven
    hm lol
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well done!
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think 99% of the trial is in a good spot. The only thing i'd alter is how fast the blood prisons kill. That's a bit quick. Adding another 3-4s to the timer would be nice.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big props to the players who accomplished this!

To ZOS, when there is a “Hard Mode” it should be something for groups to run progressions on for awhile, perfecting difficult mechanics in order to secure a victory. When that happens everyone competes for the first clear and its a big deal. For example, vMoL HM first clear was a massive deal. vSS HM first clear no one cared.

This is the Hard Mode of your new trial, completed on the first day of PTS, and now already beaten again when it was buffed. I’d be surprised if Kyne’s Aegis Hard Mode+Speed Run weren’t completed Day One on the PC Live servers.

From my experience of raiding since a bit before Thieves Guild on console, there was far more excitement, competition, and overall fun when all groups competed to be the first to defeat a super difficult boss. Seeing the difficulty of Kyne’s Aegis is worrying me that it will turn out like Sunspire where it is beaten after a few short raid days and no one really cares.
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think 99% of the trial is in a good spot. The only thing i'd alter is how fast the blood prisons kill. That's a bit quick. Adding another 3-4s to the timer would be nice.

I agree, all they need to do now is go through with those buffs they said were going to happen for bosses 1 & 2, and then decrease the speed run time because as it is currently, assuming we would have one shot all the bosses we would have had a 24~ minute run.
    World's Third Godslayer

Top scores :
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, all they need to do now is go through with those buffs they said were going to happen for bosses 1 & 2, and then decrease the speed run time because as it is currently, assuming we would have one shot all the bosses we would have had a 24~ minute run.

Or zos could not make the same mistake as with sunspire and make a ridiculous speedrun achievement. The 35 min speedrun for Kyne's Aegis is reasonable and should remain unchanged.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And 90% of the player base hasn't even completed Crag HMs.
    WE NEED HARDER CONTENT!
    Lmao
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    WE NEED HARDER CONTENT!
    Lmao

Maybe 4-5 years ago you could say that. Amongst players who are into doing that type of content, I’d say most players have beaten them multiple times by now and also regular vet Sunspire. You underestimate the power creep.
    Edited by Vaoh on April 30, 2020 7:49AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    WE NEED HARDER CONTENT!
    Lmao

That percentage also should be uninterested in doing that hms or have no idea what they are doing ingame even.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WE NEED HARDER CONTENT!
    Lmao

Nonsensical argument based on figures plucked out of the air. Whatever percentage of people have not done HM on vCrags is people who either don't care about HMs or haven't tried in earnest. Not people locked out because of difficulty or minimum skill requirements.

I wouldn't even call myself a PvEr (not even in a PvE guild) and I've done vAA and vHRC HMs with pug raids from Crag when I was looking to farm my VO set. We just went into the trials as randoms, saw that everyone new the mechanics and was doing well enough that we reached final boss without deaths and then we decided on the spot to do HM just for the lols. And I'm not blowing my on trumpet here, I freely admit I'm distinctly average at PvE, but these HMs are *** easy now for anyone that sets their mind to doing them.
    EU | PC | AD
  • bharathitman
    bharathitman
    ✭✭✭✭
    After watching a few streams I feel the difficulty is more or less okay, the final boss might just a wee bit overtuned but we will see (which makes wiping during the execute really painful since the fight itself is super long). IMO most okay groups should have a good chance at completing the Hardmodes
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are 1st and 2nd boss finally interested? Previous were only dps monkey parse
    Edited by DarkPicture on April 30, 2020 1:58PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

To ZOS, when there is a “Hard Mode” it should be something for groups to run progressions on for awhile, perfecting difficult mechanics in order to secure a victory. When that happens everyone competes for the first clear and its a big deal. For example, vMoL HM first clear was a massive deal. vSS HM first clear no one cared.

This is the Hard Mode of your new trial, completed on the first day of PTS, and now already beaten again when it was buffed. I’d be surprised if Kyne’s Aegis Hard Mode+Speed Run weren’t completed Day One on the PC Live servers.

From my experience of raiding since a bit before Thieves Guild on console, there was far more excitement, competition, and overall fun when all groups competed to be the first to defeat a super difficult boss. Seeing the difficulty of Kyne’s Aegis is worrying me that it will turn out like Sunspire where it is beaten after a few short raid days and no one really cares.

I disagree with some of this. The folks that are beating it now and will beat it on day one are not just the 1%, but the 1% of the 1%. It did take our group practice to get through vSShm and we were happy when we beat it. You are not wrong that other HMs like vCR and vMoL were more challenging in mechanics ways, but I do not think everything should be designed around a group of players that will beat it in the first week no matter what zos does.

There is a huge group of players right after those top guys that are still considered end game by 99% of the rest of the game and probably by zos' own standards that would still not qualify for some of these top teams. We are unchallenged by any of the content that isn't HM trials, but do see the challenge there; so it would be a shame to see a segment of players cut out of content by making it only complete-able by an even smaller group of players.

I'm not calling for massive nerfs or saying some of the calls for changes are even wrong, but I do think anyone that has not just HM trials on farm, but blasts through them within days of new content release and has the Godslayer/TTT/GH style achievements on farm should realize that making the content take months for them to complete will mean not just more players cut out from achieving those things at all, but not even having an option for challenging content (as vet mode alone does not offer that).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • kalunte
    kalunte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with @xaraan on this and i'll also add that there is nothing to farm down there, i mean, i many MMORPG new contents come with new more powerfull stuffs that needs to be farmed in order to clear the new content decently.

i think that the fact we dont necessarly have to farm new sets each patch makes those contents faster to clear for top 1% of the top 1% players.

ps: i love that new stuff isnt always better than the previous one, i mean, there is actually ton of diversity in teso and i do like it this way over some i met before.
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browart wrote: »
    Are 1st and 2nd boss finally interested? Previous were only dps monkey parse

it does not appear there have been any changes to boss 1 & 2, they are still just stack and burn
    World's Third Godslayer

Top scores :
  • Maggusemm
    Maggusemm
    ✭✭✭
    we see a kill of a hard-mode of a Person with 15 gryphon hearts and 100 world records so on and so on with 0 of 36 lives remaining! They wiped a lot for this and now claim it is not hard enough.

Stop doing the content so hard that only one group can kill it. Even if other players are also so good, they dont have 11 of the same kind at hand. Make hard modes also possible for a wider range of People.
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maggusemm wrote: »
    we see a kill of a hard-mode of a Person with 15 gryphon hearts and 100 world records so on and so on with 0 of 36 lives remaining! They wiped a lot for this and now claim it is not hard enough.

Stop doing the content so hard that only one group can kill it. Even if other players are also so good, they dont have 11 of the same kind at hand. Make hard modes also possible for a wider range of People.

I believe i said the trial was in a perfect spot. And for the record, it's 5 world records, not 100.
    World's Third Godslayer

Top scores :
  • Disturbed125
    Disturbed125
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats on clearing it :smile:
    [PC NA] -Chaos Riders-
    Flawless Conqueror - Boethia's Scythe - Mageslayer - Ophidian Overloard - Shehai Shatterer - Divayth Fyr's Conjugator - Voice of Reason - Dro'Mathra Destroyer - Blackrose Executioner - Bringer of Light - Extinguisher of Flames - Xalvakka's Scourge
    Trifectas
    Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Depths Defier - Relentless Raider - The Unchained (1st NA / 2nd World) - Immortal Redeemer - Nature's Wrath - Defanged the Devourer - Tick Tock Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Dawnbringer - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - GodSlayer - Privateer - Coral Caretaker
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »

I disagree with some of this. The folks that are beating it now and will beat it on day one are not just the 1%, but the 1% of the 1%. It did take our group practice to get through vSShm and we were happy when we beat it. You are not wrong that other HMs like vCR and vMoL were more challenging in mechanics ways, but I do not think everything should be designed around a group of players that will beat it in the first week no matter what zos does.

There is a huge group of players right after those top guys that are still considered end game by 99% of the rest of the game and probably by zos' own standards that would still not qualify for some of these top teams. We are unchallenged by any of the content that isn't HM trials, but do see the challenge there; so it would be a shame to see a segment of players cut out of content by making it only complete-able by an even smaller group of players.

I'm not calling for massive nerfs or saying some of the calls for changes are even wrong, but I do think anyone that has not just HM trials on farm, but blasts through them within days of new content release and has the Godslayer/TTT/GH style achievements on farm should realize that making the content take months for them to complete will mean not just more players cut out from achieving those things at all, but not even having an option for challenging content (as vet mode alone does not offer that).

It depends what you think is better. Is it better for the coolest challenge to be defeating a super difficult boss? Or to no death+speed run+hard mode the trial? Those are the choices ESO has provided so far.

From what I’ve experienced, the progression for a super difficult boss was way more fun and resulted in a huge feeling of accomplishment when you finally succeeded. Groups were encouraged to improve to reach that level and in-turn it became “cool” to run the trial, bringing in way more groups, creating competition, etc. In terms of the achievement, failure only occurred when you made too many mistakes. On death, your group would respawn and get back to the fight. Furthermore, power creep would overtime drastically bring down the difficulty of accomplishing the fight. Imo that’s perfect and is why vMoL HM was considered the best experience by most players who played back then.

When no death+speed run+hard mode is the challenge..... well there’s tons of issues. There is a hidden factor called *game performance* mainly for console. ESO crashes, bluescreens, lags, invisible adds issues can happen, and a whole host of other bugs specific to each trial. These can easily result in the entire run failing at no fault of the players. It’s not fun and it leads to boredom because you are running something hundreds of extra times just to have a run where ESO functions decently enough on top of you accomplishing those three difficult achievements at once. A death means everyone has to slowly port out....wait for the one guy who’s on pause.... change difficulty to normal then back to vet to reset the trial... everyone port back in. On console it really does go slowly for most groups I’ve been in. This is why only one group has Godslayer on console (which is awesome btw) - no one wants to go through that progression because it’s more akin to torture. Even getting IR or TTT can be frustrating due to game performance. In all of my own TTT runs we’ve had one person disconnect mid-trial. However, Hard Mode is now easier for more players to accomplish right from launch.

There’s two solutions that are better than what we currently have imo. Add a third tier of difficulty, idk call it Master difficulty, to activate on the final boss and which is not required for the no death+speed run+hard mode. Or add an optional boss of ridiculous difficulty who spawns in a remote area of the map when the trial is set to Veteran or after the last boss has died on Hard mode.

Just my thoughts :smile:
    Edited by Vaoh on May 1, 2020 5:49AM
  • bol
    bol
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running this trial on PTS and I will tell you it is designed to promote exactly what ZoS has been trying to prevent. The skill gap. Every boss is again designed in a way that for every 10% less group DPS you have the fight takes another 50% longer. The mechanics are very punishing and hard, but for the groups with high enough DPS they don't exist. So stack and burn if you can, and if you can't you will most likely not manage to clear HM.

I am wondering who this trial was made for? For the top 1% score runners? As I am pretty sure they will get bored of it really fast as every fight is just a stack and burn trial dummy parse. As for the rest. It will be frustrating to complete and average group will take hours to clear just Veteran without HM. And for what? There is no viable reward at the end as the gear is pretty useless.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some baiting commentary. We would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bol wrote: »
    I've been running this trial on PTS and I will tell you it is designed to promote exactly what ZoS has been trying to prevent. The skill gap. Every boss is again designed in a way that for every 10% less group DPS you have the fight takes another 50% longer. The mechanics are very punishing and hard, but for the groups with high enough DPS they don't exist. So stack and burn if you can, and if you can't you will most likely not manage to clear HM.

I am wondering who this trial was made for? For the top 1% score runners? As I am pretty sure they will get bored of it really fast as every fight is just a stack and burn trial dummy parse. As for the rest. It will be frustrating to complete and average group will take hours to clear just Veteran without HM. And for what? There is no viable reward at the end as the gear is pretty useless.

The thrill of achieving something hard? The title perhaps?

Not everything needs a material reward at the end. PvP is a gold sink with 0 rewards (especially BGs) and yet people still do it for the challenge and fun of it. Day after day and week after week.

Edited by Maulkin on May 1, 2020 3:50PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

Not everything needs a material reward at the end. PvP is a gold sink with 0 rewards (especially BGs) and yet people still do it for the challenge and fun of it. Day after day and week after week.

As an aside from the topic of conversation, and not denying the fact that hardest content is enjoyable to run just for the thrill, I would still say it's a bad situation that material reward is lacking (especially since new sets cannibalize old trial sets). BGs are instant gratification - a few minutes of thrill, win or loss, nothing more to it. Progressing hardest trials means a lot of gold spent on pots/repairs/whatever before group will see its first meager undaunted plunder and the statistical probability of a gold grain. I think game should give more material rewards for trials (as it gives for PvP in the form of abundance of transmute crystals, for example), just to make progression more or less pay for itself.

As for difficulty... I would say if a top group currently clears it in twenty minutes and the speedrun is 35, then it should be doable, at least it's better than precedent set by Sunspire where speedrun is a feat on its own. What's unpleasant indeed is the gap between consoles and PC. Can't balance them together, on PC addons make things -so- much easier.
  • NerevarineLoL
    NerevarineLoL
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Or zos could not make the same mistake as with sunspire and make a ridiculous speedrun achievement. The 35 min speedrun for Kyne's Aegis is reasonable and should remain unchanged.

Sunspire speedrun isn't "ridiculous". It's the first speedrun achievement that actually requires you to do all the things the "right" way - even spamming barriers throughout the entire vHoF, you still get the speedrun achievement. vMoL speedrun hasn't been a problem for a very long time.

Of course, groups that are just new to the trial wouldn't get the achievement either way, because of many wipes. But all other trials where you can clear it consistently - you get the speedrun achievement. I'm pretty sure you could pull off vCR +2 speedrun if you don't have any wipes and a group that can clear +2 consistently.

Sunspire, on the other hand, requires working out the trash fights - how to stack it efficiently, how and when to pull the next group. Boss fights also need to be optimized by doing things "differently" - such as forcing frost breath to give you extra time to skip ice tombs or stacking flame atros under Yolnahkriin. It's actually a "challenging" speedrun achievement for a change, where you need to put in effort to get it, instead of running through the trial with only 10 people on the last boss fight and still getting the achievement.

You're not even a PvE player, Qbiken, why are you complaining about this stuff? You know damn well you're stuck playing magplar and have low DPS - there's nothing wrong with that, but that also doesn't mean that you should have every difficult achievement handed to you.

There have been so many Godslayers this patch, despite the many fears during Elsweyr release that only few groups will be able to get it. It shows that all the mechanics are already worked out - people just need to get in, practice to get the hang of the fights and they can easily get it even with suboptimal groups.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

As an aside from the topic of conversation, and not denying the fact that hardest content is enjoyable to run just for the thrill, I would still say it's a bad situation that material reward is lacking (especially since new sets cannibalize old trial sets). BGs are instant gratification - a few minutes of thrill, win or loss, nothing more to it. Progressing hardest trials means a lot of gold spent on pots/repairs/whatever before group will see its first meager undaunted plunder and the statistical probability of a gold grain. I think game should give more material rewards for trials (as it gives for PvP in the form of abundance of transmute crystals, for example), just to make progression more or less pay for itself.

As for difficulty... I would say if a top group currently clears it in twenty minutes and the speedrun is 35, then it should be doable, at least it's better than precedent set by Sunspire where speedrun is a feat on its own. What's unpleasant indeed is the gap between consoles and PC. Can't balance them together, on PC addons make things -so- much easier.

True. It doesn’t really have to be that way though. The way to balance PC and Console is to make more of the necessary features part of the base game:
    - Implement a way to quick slot entire gear and skill setups (no need for dressing room)
    - Add visible telegraphs to enemy attacks AND make sure that they are synced up in both area and time (no need for Raid Notifier and Combat Alerts)
    - Add skill cooldowns to the skill bar (no need for Action Duration Reminder)
    - Add ESO logs to console (no need for Combat Metrics or DPS sharing)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not even a PvE player, Qbiken
    Kk skvush, whatever u say
    Edited by Qbiken on May 1, 2020 11:52PM
  • LioraValkyrie
    LioraValkyrie
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow enthusiast of extreme gaming challenges, I have to disagree that 12-player trials should be made more challenging. The problem is, they become more an activity of social networking than gaming. The challenge lies in finding the right people with the right mixture of personalities, then co-ordinating timetables, getting people to commit, then usually fighting with connection issues and bugs, and so forth.

I know what you mean, in terms of the first clear of a hard boss being more rewarding than no-death/speed runs, but when you have to rely on 11 other people and the stability of their internet and game performance to get there, sometimes it just feels exhausting.

vMA hard mode, vBRP 2.0... bring it on. But when it comes to trials, I think ZoS should keep in mind that the hardest part will always be networking-related, so if they want people in game and not battling with discords and spreadsheets, they should keep the difficulty of trials at an achievable level for most PVE endgame players.
    Mistress of Apocrypha - Master PetSorc

Founder of The Lollygaggers
    Creator of the 1-bar vMA build
    World first solo vFH
    Unchained Altmer Sorc Tank

Visit me on YouTube! Mistress of Apocrypha ESO
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends what you think is better. Is it better for the coolest challenge to be defeating a super difficult boss? Or to no death+speed run+hard mode the trial? Those are the choices ESO has provided so far.

From what I’ve experienced, the progression for a super difficult boss was way more fun and resulted in a huge feeling of accomplishment when you finally succeeded. Groups were encouraged to improve to reach that level and in-turn it became “cool” to run the trial, bringing in way more groups, creating competition, etc. In terms of the achievement, failure only occurred when you made too many mistakes. On death, your group would respawn and get back to the fight. Furthermore, power creep would overtime drastically bring down the difficulty of accomplishing the fight. Imo that’s perfect and is why vMoL HM was considered the best experience by most players who played back then.

When no death+speed run+hard mode is the challenge..... well there’s tons of issues. There is a hidden factor called *game performance* mainly for console. ESO crashes, bluescreens, lags, invisible adds issues can happen, and a whole host of other bugs specific to each trial. These can easily result in the entire run failing at no fault of the players. It’s not fun and it leads to boredom because you are running something hundreds of extra times just to have a run where ESO functions decently enough on top of you accomplishing those three difficult achievements at once. A death means everyone has to slowly port out....wait for the one guy who’s on pause.... change difficulty to normal then back to vet to reset the trial... everyone port back in. On console it really does go slowly for most groups I’ve been in. This is why only one group has Godslayer on console (which is awesome btw) - no one wants to go through that progression because it’s more akin to torture. Even getting IR or TTT can be frustrating due to game performance. In all of my own TTT runs we’ve had one person disconnect mid-trial. However, Hard Mode is now easier for more players to accomplish right from launch.

There’s two solutions that are better than what we currently have imo. Add a third tier of difficulty, idk call it Master difficulty, to activate on the final boss and which is not required for the no death+speed run+hard mode. Or add an optional boss of ridiculous difficulty who spawns in a remote area of the map when the trial is set to Veteran or after the last boss has died on Hard mode.

Weird debate in the sense that I don't fully disagree with much of what you've said, so even though I'm offering counter thoughts to some things, it's not to say I don't understand or even partially agree with you.

First off, I do want to shoot down the 'master difficulty' concept. As soon as new tiers are added, new rewards are desired. There are already unique titles and sometimes more behind some of those no death/HM/Speed runs, then to lock even more behind another tier and as that becomes common, more and more people will request rewards for them of varying types. End of the world? No, but I think the more you divide up the top 1% of the players and then show all the rest of the players in the game falling into one to three different categories of what they earn it shows a definitely leaning too much into that one small group of players IMO.

I also want to add that zos does not have a team of devs there able to do vetHM trials the way that the top handful of groups do it, I think it's why we often see the design of content start to crumble in HMs for trials and dungeons, where it feels like they just crank up damage/one-shots/health, etc. and depend a lot on feedback of those top guilds to tweak that. So not sure how confident I am that they should design a whole separate boss only for those top guilds to fight and spend dev time on that content as well.

In the end, if it's just about the challenge, and doing HM alone isn't enough and then doing the no-death/HM/Speed combos are still not enough (do you know how small a group of players we are talking about at this point) there are a variety of ways to increase the challenge to your group by handicapping yourselves in fun ways. (And considering many of these groups have people that record their runs and enjoy sharing crazy accomplishments on forums/reddit, bragging rights would still apply). Even our group, who is not in that league of players has had fun doing naked runs and such.

In the end, every group of players runs out of the 'new' feeling of content that comes out with expansions after a month or two. Whether it's questers, dungeoneers, trials group, housing decorators, etc. I play every part of this game and even with questing on all 18 of my guys and doing different activities with them will already say trials provides the most ongoing 'progress' 99.9% of the players that are interested in them. So I guess to me when I see the .1% of players that have these HMs on hardcore farm within a couple weeks of launch asking for the trials to be harder I see a group of players that probably are barely in the hundreds among tens of thousands of players asking for special content WITHIN other special content just for them so they aren't in the same position as every other player bored with the same old zone, dungeons, bg's, etc. it sounds a bit like overkill.

Now, I don't disagree that server issues create problems for earning those other achievements. It only takes one player having a lag spike to ruin a no-death with no fault of their own. But tbf various bugs or desyncs ruin a variety of runs as it is, whether you are going for no-death or not.

Personally I've had more problem with some of the design elements of the game than just the HMs being harder/easier. Even though vMoL was more challenging, we found it easier to practice and learn vs. something like Sunspire. The HM of vSS on the last boss is essentially send your top three guys down to burn the mini boss down there and if they don't or if they make one mistake, then it's a wipe. You can't call for a backup like someone dying in the back area of vMol and try to recover, all progress is just halted with that one mechanic. And having run it now with a few different groupings of players from our guild and others, you are right, if you have those 3 awesome players the HM is easy, but if you don't, even if you have one or two of them close, it's essentially impossible and you don't even get to practice the rest of the fight, try to recover, etc. You just wipe on that first attempt every single time. And it's not a primarily mechanic-based activity like the back room of vMoL, but just a hardcore DPS check while dealing with several mechanics that can drop you. I'd be all for making that fight harder for example if they were going to change the portal mechanic to allow more than 3 go down. Then top groups could maximize how many they send down, which would help on things like speed and score runs, and other groups could send 4 or 5 down if needed, or even leave the portal open and allow a new person to port down if one died. That wouldn't guarantee a recovery b/c of time lost, but IMO recovering from fights that go south can be a lot more fun than the fight itself many times and we love trying and it offers a chance.

So I guess I agree that a hard boss can feel like a great accomplishment. But it's going to come down to the design of the whole fight IMO over just making a boss have more health, hit harder or having more one-shot/wipe mechanics in a fight. As it stand, that's their go-to for making content challenging and IMO it's made it worse. We had more fun in vMoL because we had a chance to learn and progress vs. Sunspire. We had some great recoveries where we pushed passed people dying in the backroom and were able to keep practicing the different pad mechanics as it moved on, we had lunar phase on lockdown when most top teams were skipping lunar, etc. Sunspire it was just about those three people downstairs which created a huge road block for anyone to even attempt HM, you don't see hardly any of the other mechanics in the fight until that is done and once that is done the other mechanics were not that hard. But it is frustrating having everything hinge on that and never even getting to practice the rest of the fight if it doesn't go perfectly. If that's a sign of their design direction, then that's why it's a no thank you from me on them making something 'harder' in that manner.

And frankly, I've seen a lot of players that want those easy clears. They jump at the chance to get bored farming on those teams and clearing the trials over and over again. I've stuck with my group b/c they are made up of friends that I want to have fun running stuff with, some are great, some are just decent, some have some of those technical issues mentioned below. And I've subbed in for amazing teams before and have seen how much easier a run can be when everyone is superman.

If you want a challenge, once you are bored with that top guild, then run with more teams that 'can' clear that content with work but just aren't made up of all supermen, they may appreciate the help. I know when we have a player that has run with us for stints that already have mechanics polished and can offer advice and be a solid example for others in the group it's been a positive experience. (Unless you are the type to just get frustrated things aren't as perfect as your top team, then you'd probably just end up getting salty and everyone would get cranky about any comments or jabs). But often, those players, even the patient ones get frustrated. They've seen how smooth it is with their top team and can't handle it when it's not smooth. So you have to mean it when you say you are in the run for the challenge and not just the bragging rights of a new title or whatever reward because that's all you really get for doing that, some extra challenge. And we've been told before from some players that have run with us from other guilds that a hardmode run with us is like true hardmode, so if you are patient, just working with more non-top tier teams could be just what you are looking for challenge wise lol.

Also, you and LioraValkayrie makes good points about trials not even being about skill half the time once you get to that level of play. We have players that are great, but with potato computers or connections that cause as much a problem for them as zos' potato servers do for anyone. We have players that run with several guilds and get bored of a trial b/c guess what - everyone is running the new trial and then drop out. We have scheduling issues constantly where, and to my point about the vSS HM mechanic, if you have one of those three downstairs DDs that are great at the job callout, everyone loses morale b/c they know that the night will be a fail (though some of that is a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to morale). Or have a key support call out and it means the runs will be a mess, no real practice that week, etc.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird debate in the sense that I don't fully disagree with much of what you've said, so even though I'm offering counter thoughts to some things, it's not to say I don't understand or even partially agree with you.

First off, I do want to shoot down the 'master difficulty' concept. As soon as new tiers are added, new rewards are desired. There are already unique titles and sometimes more behind some of those no death/HM/Speed runs, then to lock even more behind another tier and as that becomes common, more and more people will request rewards for them of varying types. End of the world? No, but I think the more you divide up the top 1% of the players and then show all the rest of the players in the game falling into one to three different categories of what they earn it shows a definitely leaning too much into that one small group of players IMO.

I also want to add that zos does not have a team of devs there able to do vetHM trials the way that the top handful of groups do it, I think it's why we often see the design of content start to crumble in HMs for trials and dungeons, where it feels like they just crank up damage/one-shots/health, etc. and depend a lot on feedback of those top guilds to tweak that. So not sure how confident I am that they should design a whole separate boss only for those top guilds to fight and spend dev time on that content as well.

In the end, if it's just about the challenge, and doing HM alone isn't enough and then doing the no-death/HM/Speed combos are still not enough (do you know how small a group of players we are talking about at this point) there are a variety of ways to increase the challenge to your group by handicapping yourselves in fun ways. (And considering many of these groups have people that record their runs and enjoy sharing crazy accomplishments on forums/reddit, bragging rights would still apply). Even our group, who is not in that league of players has had fun doing naked runs and such.

In the end, every group of players runs out of the 'new' feeling of content that comes out with expansions after a month or two. Whether it's questers, dungeoneers, trials group, housing decorators, etc. I play every part of this game and even with questing on all 18 of my guys and doing different activities with them will already say trials provides the most ongoing 'progress' 99.9% of the players that are interested in them. So I guess to me when I see the .1% of players that have these HMs on hardcore farm within a couple weeks of launch asking for the trials to be harder I see a group of players that probably are barely in the hundreds among tens of thousands of players asking for special content WITHIN other special content just for them so they aren't in the same position as every other player bored with the same old zone, dungeons, bg's, etc. it sounds a bit like overkill.

Now, I don't disagree that server issues create problems for earning those other achievements. It only takes one player having a lag spike to ruin a no-death with no fault of their own. But tbf various bugs or desyncs ruin a variety of runs as it is, whether you are going for no-death or not.

Personally I've had more problem with some of the design elements of the game than just the HMs being harder/easier. Even though vMoL was more challenging, we found it easier to practice and learn vs. something like Sunspire. The HM of vSS on the last boss is essentially send your top three guys down to burn the mini boss down there and if they don't or if they make one mistake, then it's a wipe. You can't call for a backup like someone dying in the back area of vMol and try to recover, all progress is just halted with that one mechanic. And having run it now with a few different groupings of players from our guild and others, you are right, if you have those 3 awesome players the HM is easy, but if you don't, even if you have one or two of them close, it's essentially impossible and you don't even get to practice the rest of the fight, try to recover, etc. You just wipe on that first attempt every single time. And it's not a primarily mechanic-based activity like the back room of vMoL, but just a hardcore DPS check while dealing with several mechanics that can drop you. I'd be all for making that fight harder for example if they were going to change the portal mechanic to allow more than 3 go down. Then top groups could maximize how many they send down, which would help on things like speed and score runs, and other groups could send 4 or 5 down if needed, or even leave the portal open and allow a new person to port down if one died. That wouldn't guarantee a recovery b/c of time lost, but IMO recovering from fights that go south can be a lot more fun than the fight itself many times and we love trying and it offers a chance.

So I guess I agree that a hard boss can feel like a great accomplishment. But it's going to come down to the design of the whole fight IMO over just making a boss have more health, hit harder or having more one-shot/wipe mechanics in a fight. As it stand, that's their go-to for making content challenging and IMO it's made it worse. We had more fun in vMoL because we had a chance to learn and progress vs. Sunspire. We had some great recoveries where we pushed passed people dying in the backroom and were able to keep practicing the different pad mechanics as it moved on, we had lunar phase on lockdown when most top teams were skipping lunar, etc. Sunspire it was just about those three people downstairs which created a huge road block for anyone to even attempt HM, you don't see hardly any of the other mechanics in the fight until that is done and once that is done the other mechanics were not that hard. But it is frustrating having everything hinge on that and never even getting to practice the rest of the fight if it doesn't go perfectly. If that's a sign of their design direction, then that's why it's a no thank you from me on them making something 'harder' in that manner.

And frankly, I've seen a lot of players that want those easy clears. They jump at the chance to get bored farming on those teams and clearing the trials over and over again. I've stuck with my group b/c they are made up of friends that I want to have fun running stuff with, some are great, some are just decent, some have some of those technical issues mentioned below. And I've subbed in for amazing teams before and have seen how much easier a run can be when everyone is superman.

If you want a challenge, once you are bored with that top guild, then run with more teams that 'can' clear that content with work but just aren't made up of all supermen, they may appreciate the help. I know when we have a player that has run with us for stints that already have mechanics polished and can offer advice and be a solid example for others in the group it's been a positive experience. (Unless you are the type to just get frustrated things aren't as perfect as your top team, then you'd probably just end up getting salty and everyone would get cranky about any comments or jabs). But often, those players, even the patient ones get frustrated. They've seen how smooth it is with their top team and can't handle it when it's not smooth. So you have to mean it when you say you are in the run for the challenge and not just the bragging rights of a new title or whatever reward because that's all you really get for doing that, some extra challenge. And we've been told before from some players that have run with us from other guilds that a hardmode run with us is like true hardmode, so if you are patient, just working with more non-top tier teams could be just what you are looking for challenge wise lol.

Also, you and LioraValkayrie makes good points about trials not even being about skill half the time once you get to that level of play. We have players that are great, but with potato computers or connections that cause as much a problem for them as zos' potato servers do for anyone. We have players that run with several guilds and get bored of a trial b/c guess what - everyone is running the new trial and then drop out. We have scheduling issues constantly where, and to my point about the vSS HM mechanic, if you have one of those three downstairs DDs that are great at the job callout, everyone loses morale b/c they know that the night will be a fail (though some of that is a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to morale). Or have a key support call out and it means the runs will be a mess, no real practice that week, etc.

Awesome post and great points! :smile:

I totally agree regarding the design elements of the vMoL HM experience vs the vSS HM experience. That’s an issue my group didn’t really have as much but those were my exact thoughts while I first ran vSS HM - that if the portals downstairs didn’t have absolute top-notch DPS, no one could progress the run. I guess vMoL HM is similar with its backyard mechanic but what’s ok about that is the basis being *mechanics* (finding the Khajiits in backyard) instead of DPS checks. If DPS wasn’t high enough you would go through Lunar Phase, which there were even achievements for and didn’t result in the group failing. And the direction would be strictly to raise boss health and increase DPS checks, rather than increasing the number and severity of mechanics, it probably wouldn’t be much fun anyway for a Master difficulty.

I have a IR/TTT/GH type titles on each the three characters I like to play which was my main goal. There’s been 1 Godslayer console group for a good reason.... that hellish bugfest+crazy speedrun are not worth it rn. vSS is a visually beautiful trial but with dull mechanics and no groups on my server will bother trying to push for the title. Very little interest. I still raid once or twice a week for a few hours pushing GH again, run dungeons for the monthly style page mask, once in awhile I’ll do a few carries etc. But for the most part I’m not really playing much eso anymore. I used to go help those groups but I haven’t been a fan of this game’s performance and balance “changes” so stopped spending time on it.... I’m not one of those “cranky elitist” types though , in fact a lot of the top players aren’t that way, running group finder dungeons and rping and helping lowbies are what I do lol. Over the past two weeks I even crafted full purple training gear for lowbies :smiley: I quit PvP because I found PvP in other games to be a far more enjoyable experience since (sorry PvPers) ESO’s PvP has turned into a clunky, broken, lag-ridden mess. I don’t sub to eso anymore either. That’s my current eso experience lol.

I guess there’s another thing to consider here too. When I’m asking for a difficult boss that will cause all top groups and even inspire new groups to want to compete for the challenge, the fact is so many groups have already quit.... it may not have that effect.

These Devs failed regarding their game balance objectives. All of their efforts to “close the skill gap” over the years have instead drastically widened it. The reliance on Major Slayer procs, difficult support sets (Zens, Martial, grabbing Olo..... as opposed to just SPC proccing in the past), soon even offbalance, and more, is all easy for my group to deal with but very hard for progression groups to use. None of those were factors before. Clunky game performance absolutely slaughters progression groups by slashing their DPS and causing unnecessary deaths too which also did not used to be a factor. There has been a ton of power creep over the years which is good because that is what makes formerly difficult content more accessible, but it has been heavily disproportionate in its effect for top players vs progression players.

The vSS raid experience was just a big letdown honestly. I have a more enjoyable experience fighting dragons in Southern Elsweyr than those Sunspire stack n burn bosses.....I really hope Kyne’s Aegis is a better experience which encourages more players to improve themselves. ESO needs to fix their combat issues quick before my server loses even more guilds.
  • bol
    bol
    ✭✭✭
    The vSS raid experience was just a big letdown honestly. I have a more enjoyable experience fighting dragons in Southern Elsweyr than those Sunspire stack n burn bosses.....I really hope Kyne’s Aegis is a better experience which encourages more players to improve themselves. ESO needs to fix their combat issues quick before my server loses even more guilds.

I was hoping for that aswell, but unfortunately it is not so. The first 2 bosses are completely just stack and burn and only require players to improve themselves dps-wise. The last boss has 1 mechanic, the lightning thing, which is in some way similar to the lokke hm laser as the group needs to reposition themselves in correct places. Apart from that, its just stack and burn with occasional run out of your group if you get the meteor on you (its lightning damage and called instability here). I admit that after the buff my group has not yet cleared the last boss on HM, but we are very close, probably next raid we'll do it. The problem however is more in the fact that PTS is extremely laggy for us EU guys, so there is lots of freezes and desyncs, and then ressurecting players is very punishing there.

And yes, the best group has cleared it (before the buffs) in some 25 smt minutes? But do not forget they were on cheese builds (that are for sure getting downgraded, at least I hope they are) with DDs pulling near 200k dps on boss burns. With the damage as is currently on live it will probably be harder to get speedrun then it is in sunspire.

The failure I see is that all the bosses and adds (which are very hard in this trial) are designed in a way that punish you for having less dps instead of requiring you to actually do their mechanics and punish you if you don't (the chain lightning thing is the only exception). I would much prefer the fights be designed in a way that mechanics can not be skipped by over-dpsing, and must be done correctly by ppl with 100k dps and those with 30k dps.