The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How Fix Almost All PVP Combat Imbalances (at least on the stamina end of things)

nublife01
nublife01
✭✭✭✭
There are a few changes I am proposing that I believe will fix a lot of the current issues with this patch. I've listed a few of them here that I think are worth changing.

BRP needs to grant like 3-5k resistances instead of a flat overpowered 30% damage reduction and SnB mitigation needs to be nerfed. Basically any flat damage reduction bonuses granted by gear need to be changed to resistances as they are either going to be overpowered or too weak. Flat damage reduction/increase that isn't in the form of a minor or major universal buff doesn't offer build variety, if anything reduces it.

The off balance changes need to be reverted and Dizzy Swing needs to instead stun a target as opposed to knocking off balance as it used to and it's cast time should be reduced even further, its animation made much more subtle to avoid it being easily blocked, and its damage reduced so it is not a blatant spammable rather a cc ability. You will have to simply be quick with your roll dodge/block buttons to avoid it. Off balance should be something entirely separate as it has originally been intended to be. If the current off balance changes are not reverted they will fully gut stamblade and heavily hurt magDK.

This and stamina based class spamables need to be buffed or in the case of stamsorc for example need to be granted one. I think the changes to stonefist for DK for example are rather ignorant in this regard. Weapon skills should add flavor to a class/build play style as opposed to completely dominate how the class works. This is to avoid something like 4-5/6 classes using the same abilities/damage rotation with the exception of a few differences and utterly rely on this one ability for CC, damage pressure, and burst. The whole dizzy swing stun to onslaught to execute that literally every stamina class is using right now simply needs to be reworked as it is being abused worse than any exploitative cheese I have seen in any videogame. It honestly feels to me like a way to simply exploit pvp combat in the game. You want pvp combat made easy in eso? -> run a stam dk warden necro stamsorc and equip dizzy swing onslaught and execute. Cutting Dive needs to be used over Dizzy Swing as a spammable. So does stonefist/venom claw, venom skull, and stamsorc has been requested to have a class spammable for the absolute longest time (for literally years). Heavy damage pressure needs to be brought back into the game to share equal place to burst damage in the form of buffing stamina damage spammables at least on the stamina end of things instead of just CC reliant burst windows. It needs to be spammables instead of simply buffing dots as it needs to be avoidable intelligent pressure as opposed to simply faceroll derp dotting like the previous patch. Right now there is only one class with actual class spammable damage pressure (stamplar). This type of avoidable pressure needs to be brought back to compensate the nerf to burst damage that changing dizzy swing will cause. Once these changes happen just by themselves, pvp combat as a whole will get better.

Penetration needs to be massively buffed to the extent that if you are rocking two damage sets you should be putting out less damage than equally portioning damage and penetration in order to offset the greater amount of healing you receive with just stacking weapon damage sets. This absolutely needs to happen. I have no idea why this has not been maintained literally every patch. This in combination with changing BRP to resistances will get rid of the gross tank meta on its own.

To offset this reduction in healing, I think blast bones will be way too strong (though I think it is going to be anyways next patch) and needs to be reworked. Scorch has a delay/can be avoided, Spectral bow has a travel time/needs 5 light attacks to set up, blastbones can be killed though simply re-casted right after it is destroyed/spammed and will be much much harder to kill with the current planned changes. It can currently be avoided though needs some sort of built in cooldown that these other high damage class abilities have or necromancers are just going to be busted.

Zos does this and buffs nightblades who have been in the trashcan for a while now (to the extent that every notable player who plays nightblade knows this and there are a lot of forum posts explaining how to do this) and you have yourself a rather balanced patch on the stamina side of things.
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nublife01 wrote: »
    There are a few changes I am proposing that I believe will fix a lot of the current issues with this patch. I've listed a few of them here that I think are worth changing.

BRP needs to grant like 3-5k resistances instead of a flat overpowered 30% damage reduction and SnB mitigation needs to be nerfed. Basically any flat damage reduction bonuses granted by gear need to be changed to resistances as they are either going to be overpowered or too weak. Flat damage reduction/increase that isn't in the form of a minor or major universal buff doesn't offer build variety, if anything reduces it.

The off balance changes need to be reverted and Dizzy Swing needs to instead stun a target as opposed to knocking off balance as it used to and it's cast time should be reduced even further, its animation made much more subtle to avoid it being easily blocked, and its damage reduced so it is not a blatant spammable rather a cc ability. You will have to simply be quick with your roll dodge/block buttons to avoid it. Off balance should be something entirely separate as it has originally been intended to be. If the current off balance changes are not reverted they will fully gut stamblade and heavily hurt magDK.

This and stamina based class spamables need to be buffed or in the case of stamsorc for example need to be granted one. I think the changes to stonefist for DK for example are rather ignorant in this regard. Weapon skills should add flavor to a class/build play style as opposed to completely dominate how the class works. This is to avoid something like 4-5/6 classes using the same abilities/damage rotation with the exception of a few differences and utterly rely on this one ability for CC, damage pressure, and burst. The whole dizzy swing stun to onslaught to execute that literally every stamina class is using right now simply needs to be reworked as it is being abused worse than any exploitative cheese I have seen in any videogame. It honestly feels to me like a way to simply exploit pvp combat in the game. You want pvp combat made easy in eso? -> run a stam dk warden necro stamsorc and equip dizzy swing onslaught and execute. Cutting Dive needs to be used over Dizzy Swing as a spammable. So does stonefist/venom claw, venom skull, and stamsorc has been requested to have a class spammable for the absolute longest time (for literally years). Heavy damage pressure needs to be brought back into the game to share equal place to burst damage in the form of buffing stamina damage spammables at least on the stamina end of things instead of just CC reliant burst windows. It needs to be spammables instead of simply buffing dots as it needs to be avoidable intelligent pressure as opposed to simply faceroll derp dotting like the previous patch. Right now there is only one class with actual class spammable damage pressure (stamplar). This type of avoidable pressure needs to be brought back to compensate the nerf to burst damage that changing dizzy swing will cause. Once these changes happen just by themselves, pvp combat as a whole will get better.

Penetration needs to be massively buffed to the extent that if you are rocking two damage sets you should be putting out less damage than equally portioning damage and penetration in order to offset the greater amount of healing you receive with just stacking weapon damage sets. This absolutely needs to happen. I have no idea why this has not been maintained literally every patch. This in combination with changing BRP to resistances will get rid of the gross tank meta on its own.

To offset this reduction in healing, I think blast bones will be way too strong (though I think it is going to be anyways next patch) and needs to be reworked. Scorch has a delay/can be avoided, Spectral bow has a travel time/needs 5 light attacks to set up, blastbones can be killed though simply re-casted right after it is destroyed/spammed and will be much much harder to kill with the current planned changes. It can currently be avoided though needs some sort of built in cooldown that these other high damage class abilities have or necromancers are just going to be busted.

Zos does this and buffs nightblades who have been in the trashcan for a while now (to the extent that every notable player who plays nightblade knows this and there are a lot of forum posts explaining how to do this) and you have yourself a rather balanced patch on the stamina side of things.

I stopped reading after the dizzy swing section,
    Youre a bit delusional if u think that dizzy needs a buff.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    amir412 wrote: »

^^Yup^^
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So please buff stamina, no thank you. I play both mag and stam and most of the times it just feels unfair playing mag. I play it because its fun and very class based skills but stam performance is so much better bit stupid really.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped reading after the dizzy swing section, Youre a bit delusional if u think that dizzy needs a buff.
    Yes, you obviously stopped reading, because that's not the argument. Dizzy is being indirectly nerfed by the Off-Balance changes, every other Stam spammable has already been nerfed into the ground, Stam ultis still have idiotic finger-removing cast times, and pressure damage tactics remain completely dead. Dizzy shouldn't be nerfed, while weak abilities and mechanics should be buffed so Stam players have options other than Dizzy Onslaught.

WoppaBoem wrote: »
    So please buff stamina, no thank you. I play both mag and stam and most of the times it just feels unfair playing mag. I play it because its fun and very class based skills but stam performance is so much better bit stupid really.
    You must not play Mag Sorc or Mag Temp. You've also missed the part where the Off-Balance changes screw mDK even worse than they screw Dizzy, and you can't possibly tell me that something like Flurry doesn't need a buff. Mag and Stam builds alike need more offensive tools available to them. Nobody is asking to buff the already high burst ceiling that most Stam specs enjoy. Just don't nerf Off-Balance, and bring back DoTs and Defiles. Also delete melee cast times.
    Edited by xylena on January 29, 2020 2:40PM
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I for one read it all and my take away in all honesty is a list of things that would help you...
    You do make mention of other effected classes i.e magDK(which I main) but it feels as though that is an effort to disguise my first observation.

I am not trying to pick a fight here, I am just telling why I think your post hasn't been well received.

I think they should keep off balance the way it is... They shouldn't revert it to its original state and I don't think any spammable(the skill you press the most) should stun on every activation.

I think how it is on live rewards players for timing their burst right and doesn't *** over magdk in the process...
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree that percentage based mitigation in any form needs to be addressed.
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummmm, are you even on the PTS testing ? I have this feeling you are not....

• MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @xXMeowMeowXx almost none of the threads that get posted to the pts forums are ever actually about the pts and testing.
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    @xXMeowMeowXx almost none of the threads that get posted to the pts forums are ever actually about the pts and testing.

Sadly, I have noticed most are not even aware of what it is like on the PTS.... :#

And I was being facetious to the OP, as their post is to those that have read it.
    Edited by xXMeowMeowXx on January 29, 2020 8:04PM
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings all,

We've had to remove a few non-constructive and baiting comments. Please remember that while it’s alright to disagree or even debate with each other, provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable on our forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to add tertiary stats and separate damage from resource pools. Make players choose healing or damage, not both.

Healing/Resource management needs to have its own stat.

It's not the classes or the weapons, it's the base algorithms in the game.
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think it needs a buff. If you think about it, reducing it to a quicker stun instead of a high damage spammable is rather a nerf if anything because right now it is a stun and a high damage spammable. Making it a more effective stun and not a high damage spammable will reduce the current ridiculous burst that it currently has now in combination with onslaught and execute making the derp combo require a few more iq points as it cannot be directly spam'd like it currently is as you won't be able to 75-90% people with the combo anymore.

Instead players who utilize the combo will actually have to find other means of widdling down a players health pool before using the combo if using it at all. It is a nerf that rather promotes intelligent play instead of just 1 trick pony defense then burst combo sort of stuff that we see on live. It in combination with damage/penetration rebalancing will force players to play more intelligently instead of rather being fully defensive or fully offensive because in essence you wont be able to play either way fully. With these changes every other stamina class will be forced to act as intelligently as a stamblade must currently to actually kill anything.

Stamina nightblade currently cannot play fully offense or defense as our burst doesnt do enough damage to 90% someone before they can heal up so while we are playing defensively we need to also play offensively to widdle down an enemy's health pool before actually bursting someone while at the same time making sure that we dont die. I think that every class in the game in general should need to do so instead of being full defense 90% if the time and 10% burst. You should not be able to kill someone if youre devoting 90% of your time dueling someone doing nothing other than defending yourself.

That being said nightblade has an "oh crap" button to get themselves out of a fight. We have two really cloak and shadow. Every class needs toi have a button like this that if spent unintelligently they will die using it though if spend intelligently can get them out of harms way. Sorc has one too i guess. But yea I'm a top 200 in the US world of warcraft pvp'er. The reason why WOW is able to have ESPORTS (which is the only reason the game is still alive) is because they balance combat in this sort of way. I am not saying ESO needs to exactly copy this sort of balancing though ZOS should find their own version of it that fits ESO. I think once this balancing is found there will be much less drastic nerfs/buffs and much more balanced gameplay.

I think these changes are the best possible changes to bring balance to the game. In my opinion ZOS needs to try to enforce more complex pvp gameplay just as this to further balance the game. Before bashing me for my opinions think about this stuff. I honestly love this game. I think wrobel is an absolute genius for how he designed this games combat. And I think there is great potential for this game other than the constant hate cycle between scurrying to find the most broken builds possible followed by forum qq that starts the cycle over again.
    Edited by nublife01 on January 30, 2020 7:07AM
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭

They need to add tertiary stats and separate damage from resource pools. Make players choose healing or damage, not both.

Healing/Resource management needs to have its own stat.

It's not the classes or the weapons, it's the base algorithms in the game.

This can be simply changed by removing straight % damage reduction/increasing modifiers from the game, bringing back penetration/damage ratios that I mentioned in my first post, and nerfing rather overpowered resistance/damage buffs such as SnB's current state. I have basically mentioned how to do all of this in my original post to start this forum. Honestly I think more people should weigh in on this forum post as it is truly how I think balance can be brought to this game to the extent that it can become an ESPORT if wanted by the ESO community.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not even make it that far. Even though this is posted in the PTS sub-forum the OP does not seem to be from testing on the PTS or feedback form the PTS.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy Swing needs it damage toned down. We all can agree on that.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you are aware that your easy solutions could potentially negatively impact PvE which is the bigger part of the community and all you would do is moving burning coals from one side of the room to another and calling the problem solved because another part of the house starts burning.
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice to know that this wall of text will never

have any influence on actual patch notes