The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

An interesting necromancer hot take:

Noxavian
Noxavian
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
How about instead of nerfing Necromancer, ZOS updates/reworks all the other classes to be on the same level?

Instead of dragging the new class down to level with all the other classes, why not revamp and update what we have?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updating 5 classes is a lot more difficult and time-consuming than updating 1 class.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Updating 5 classes is a lot more difficult and time-consuming than updating 1 class.

They only need to revamp 4

Seriously though the new class should be the new standard
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because ZOS would prefer not to revamp all its content to match the increased power level of those revamped classes?

(Also, those who learned from the history of the Warden class aren't surprised to see history repeat itself...)
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing people ask for buffs instead of nerfs when balancing. Can someone explain why the difference matters? Are people having some kind of pve problems?
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »
    How about instead of nerfing Necromancer, ZOS updates/reworks all the other classes to be on the same level?

Instead of dragging the new class down to level with all the other classes, why not revamp and update what we have?

They would need to buff every PvE content it would make no sense.

The reason nerf happens is bcuz otherwise PvE content would become even more trivia.

And so far, last time I have checked on the PTS everyone was parsing over 100k with the bugs so its not yet established that Necro are OP.
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Umm I was told by the thread topic that this would be "interesting"? When does that part appear??
    Edited by stewhead2ub17_ESO on April 30, 2019 1:27PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »
    I keep hearing people ask for buffs instead of nerfs when balancing. Can someone explain why the difference matters? Are people having some kind of pve problems?

Nobody likes to feel like they are getting less powerful - and if someone is trying to progress in harder PVE content, it's easy to feel like you actually just need more power, not nerfs. After all, look at how much effort it's taking to get better, right?

But that's one perapectice of balancing, and an inherently narrow one, just like the PVP players who have a narrow view of "its so hard for me to score kills but so easy for my opponent to kill me, so I need buffs and they need nerfs!"

And most players dont understand that ZOS nerfs everything periodically to keep power creep in check AND to keep things fresh. Nerfing the meta is a cheap way of changing the game and keeping things fresh for players. That's the main reason we get buffs and nerfs - ZOS wants to change the game in some way every update so we don't get bored and wander off.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »

Nobody likes to feel like they are getting less powerful - and if someone is trying to progress in harder PVE content, it's easy to feel like you actually just need more power, not nerfs.

Point taken. But do people truly not realize that the people who were better than you before the buff will still be better after the buff? So in the grand scheme of things buffs and nerfs aren't going to make you better or worse... They just slide around the difficulty of pve content.

Once you get about cp 160, overland pve is pretty easy even if your not all that good. Unless you think bad guys should die just from the sight of you, it seems to me we're buffed enough...
    Edited by worrallj on April 30, 2019 1:51PM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1 word, it is the only one known
    NERF

:wink:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a few comments that were off-topic and nonconstructive. Please keep our forum rules in mind when posting. Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    Greetings, we've removed a few comments that were off-topic and nonconstructive. Please keep our forum rules in mind when posting. Thank you.

Not a problem at all!

Thank you.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »

I can very much agree with this and this is the primary reason why I made this post. I really dig how the new class a clear defined "dmg, tank, heal" tree. Meanwhile you got things like Sorc that are all over the place with that their skill trees are supposed to be about.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »

I can very much agree with this and this is the primary reason why I made this post. I really dig how the new class a clear defined "dmg, tank, heal" tree. Meanwhile you got things like Sorc that are all over the place with that their skill trees are supposed to be about.

wardens were designed this way too, but they were severely undertuned. the only other class I can think of that has heal/dmg/tank trees is templar (heal / spear / utility and a shield). I'm fine with this but warden was so undertuned they sucked at everything whereas other classes designed to be good at 1 role were really good at it (nightblade). if they did a rehaul of the original classes i'd be very interested in how that goes.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Ahlteffour
    Ahlteffour
    ✭✭✭
    New idea for next year's theme. History and themes for all the classes. Dedicate a month long event to each of the classes leaving the other half of the year for events and such. Starting with the old classes.

Do a history, special class related events and necessary revamps to the class during it's highlighted month. It would encourage class play (maybe overly so) but it would give a chance for many to experience classes they might not play a lot and understand some of the major issues that go with each one.

A year for the players.

Just a thought.
    Edited by Ahlteffour on April 30, 2019 9:33PM
    "Anyone can identify a problem. It takes hard work, dedication, patience and understanding to be a positive part of the solution"
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahlteffour wrote: »
    New idea for next year's theme. History and themes for all the classes. Dedicate a month long event to each of the classes leaving the other half of the year for events and such. Starting with the old classes.

Do a history, special class related events and necessary revamps to the class during it's highlighted month. It would encourage class play (maybe overly so) but it would give a chance for many to experience classes they might not play a lot and understand some of the major issues that go with each one.

A year for the players.

Just a thought.

I could agree! Part of me also would like them to add a way, much like ffxiv, to swap classes on a singular character like in any ES game.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would ditch classes for à la carte skill trees. Classes feel regressive and outdated to me.
    Edited by Ohtimbar on April 30, 2019 10:21PM
    forever stuck in combat
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    I wish they would ditch classes for à la carte skill trees. Classes feel regressive and outdated to me.

YES. I could very much agree! I really wish they'd get rid of classes all together and let us "make" our own classes based on the skills in the game. If I want to be a pure summoner that works off of buffing my summons or a pure fire/ice mage, I should be able to.
  • Ahlteffour
    Ahlteffour
    ✭✭✭
    Ahlteffour wrote: »

A year for the players.

Just a thought.

I could agree! Part of me also would like them to add a way, much like ffxiv, to swap classes on a singular character like in any ES game.

Maybe as a part of said event! Class change tokens to try out new class changes! I like it!
    "Anyone can identify a problem. It takes hard work, dedication, patience and understanding to be a positive part of the solution"
  • Ahlteffour
    Ahlteffour
    ✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »

You should post an example of what a character would look like if you could do this. Perhaps there is merit!
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You dont have the Necromancer yet. Is it a nerf if you don’t even have it?
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

Yes. You don't need to have something to see that it is being nerfed from what it originally was. Thus the whole term nerf. Also, it's on the PTS, the place where nerfs occur before hitting the live server.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really sure how it's a "nerf" when necromancer hasn't been released yet. The whole point of putting it on the test server is so that people can play it to help balance it, as well as to find bugs.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. You don't need to have something to see that it is being nerfed from what it originally was. Thus the whole term nerf. Also, it's on the PTS, the place where nerfs occur before hitting the live server.

Yawn.

Wasn't someone asking when this thread would get interesting?

I'd be curious how much PTS time the OP has logged on the new class ...
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yawn.

Wasn't someone asking when this thread would get interesting?

I'd be curious how much PTS time the OP has logged on the new class ...

How about you learn some respect? You don't need to comment if all you're going to be is rude.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Not really sure how it's a "nerf" when necromancer hasn't been released yet. The whole point of putting it on the test server is so that people can play it to help balance it, as well as to find bugs.

Nerf, by definition, is making something weaker than what it was in it's base form. Even if we don't have it. Nerfing and balancing go hand and hand.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People complain the game is too easy and they are too powerful. People complain they want to be more powerful. A no win situation for sure.