The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC - fps drops and the usual question about it....

ESOShepherd
Hey Eso-players,

is it normal that fps drop down to unbearable 30 fps in ESO? (mostly when a lot of bodies lie around or in some areas).
It's very weird cause I get constant 160+ fps in other mmorpgs also on Ultra settings.
Rig is pretty decent with i9-9940x and 2080 ti!
And I only have like the 5 most important addons installed nothing more.
any setting in the grahpics that may cause that trouble?
  • Silent84
    Silent84
    ✭✭✭
    This game has an old engine, so you need to get used to that, i got 2 PCs and there is no difference in performance with i7 3770k (GTX1080) and i7 9700k and 2080, only in Black Desert i can see the change, and sometimes G-sync does that when you play in borderless and change monitor, goes to 30-60 fps, there are 2 settings in this game that has issues with fps, field of view distance( set it to 50) and reflections(off) than shadows, keep it to low or medium. Addons are not the problem for fps most of the time, only loading, but everybody knows, this game has very bad servers, so get ready for that. Enjoy the game( sorry for my English) <3
    Edited by Silent84 on April 9, 2019 8:40AM
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    „Unbearable 30 FPS“ thanks for reminding me what a poor rig I still use :smiley:
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Eso-players,

is it normal that fps drop down to unbearable 30 fps in ESO? (mostly when a lot of bodies lie around or in some areas).
    It's very weird cause I get constant 160+ fps in other mmorpgs also on Ultra settings.

The draw distance is most likely the issue in heavily populated areas. I use the following addon to dynamically adjust settings:

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1239-VotansAdaptiveVideo-Settings.html

When out in the wild I can enjoy the max draw distance, but when things in towns pull it down due to single threaded CPU limitations of the game, it will dynamically reduce draw distance to keep my frame rate as I set it. There are a lot of options in it, but I have it only reduce draw distance. I highly recommend it.
  • ESOShepherd
    „Unbearable 30 FPS“ thanks for reminding me what a poor rig I still use :smiley:

Well what can I say, If you are used to 240 fps normally, 30 fps is kinda a real deal breaker.
    My research revealed that this problem is huge and a lot of 2080 and 1080 users are having it but I couldnt find any acknowledgment from ZeniMax yet! Sounds they really need to fix that.
  • ESOShepherd
    Hey Eso-players,

The draw distance is most likely the issue in heavily populated areas. I use the following addon to dynamically adjust settings:

When out in the wild I can enjoy the max draw distance, but when things in towns pull it down due to single threaded CPU limitations of the game, it will dynamically reduce draw distance to keep my frame rate as I set it. There are a lot of options in it, but I have it only reduce draw distance. I highly recommend it.

Well it also happens in small caves and is not bound to "how much is going on" actually. That's the annoying part!
    The longer you play the worse it gets. Kinda a problem from them addressing the video memory and kinda overloading it.
    Saw similar problem like that in Warframe some months ago. They patched it after some months.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Eso-players,

Well it also happens in small caves and is not bound to "how much is going on" actually. That's the annoying part!
    The longer you play the worse it gets. Kinda a problem from them addressing the video memory and kinda overloading it.
    Saw similar problem like that in Warframe some months ago. They patched it after some months.

Hmm, I also have a 2080 Ti, but a less powerful CPU (i7 5930K at 4.5 GHz), and do not experience issues in small caves. I also have not experience deteriorating performance over time (though most of my play sessions are under 3 hours). My FPS would always drop significantly in populated areas though and GPU load would be low. That is what the addon I referenced really helped. I recommend you try it in case the draw distance is some how affecting you in your situation. Since using the addon my fps rarely dip below 60. I don't do PVP though, so cannot speak to performance there.

EDIT: Also note that the FPS drops have been in the game for me since launch 5 years ago. So, I would not expect that to change unless ZOS does a major engine update which I find highly unlikely. They did do an update to better take advantage of multiple cores, but for me that did not help the FPS drop in populated areas.
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on April 9, 2019 8:54AM
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    You can easily reproduce it by standing on the bridge in front of hundings palatial hall for about 15min. (just pressing a key to prevent being kicked)
    Afterwards move towards the market with the vendor NPCs and stop. Let the textures load. Looking around still feels "heavy".
    Your rig barely can keep the framerate. Even after /reloadui (resets anything which could come from Lua code)
    After relog: Ta-da. capped max framerate again.

Edit: Maybe it has to do with the shadow of the sun, which has been changed several times while being on the same place.
    Edited by votan73 on April 9, 2019 9:09AM
  • ESOShepherd
    votan73 wrote: »
    You can easily reproduce it by standing on the bridge in front of hundings palatial hall for about 15min. (just pressing a key to prevent being kicked)
    Afterwards move towards the market with the vendor NPCs and stop. Let the textures load. Looking around still feels "heavy".
    Your rig barely can keep the framerate. Even after /reloadui (resets anything which could come from Lua code)
    After relog: Ta-da. capped max framerate again.

Edit: Maybe it has to do with the shadow of the sun, which has been changed several times while being on the same place.

Indeed. It's not the hardware in this case and tweaking the detail-settings would be just a workaround or a last resort!
    Here are some more findings on the internet where a lot of people are having the same issue with High-End rigs and low FPS. (<30)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/133261370001904238/

Here even a guy with an 1080TI SLI System :s
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/420022/terrible-performance-on-very-high-end-pc

It's definelty something with the engine cause the issue is too similar to the one I already mentioned from Warframe!
    There it was a grahpic option which they changed in a patch and after that people got huge problems. (I cannot remember but I think it was somthing with mippaping).
  • Aurrynthea_Drake
    Aurrynthea_Drake
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Eso-players,

is it normal that fps drop down to unbearable 30 fps in ESO?
    LOL 30 fps that's cute, I am bottoming out at 14 fps in game - Why bother having a high spec machine when the game demands you play at low res - a bit like buying a 4K TV to watch old black & white films on VHS(!) - ridiculous!

Edit: new low 11 FPS!

Edited by Aurrynthea_Drake on June 25, 2020 11:22AM
    Magic does not die. It merely sleeps until called forth into the world again.
    PC EU (PvE)(ex PvP)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this thread is over a year old the discussion is being closed. You can start a new discussion if no recent ones exist on this topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.