The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Open world PvP server?

• MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesnt seem worth the trouble considering most zones would probably be empty. Nah, just like PvE shouldn’t get a PvE only Cyrodill, PvP shouldn’t get PvP in the other zones.
    Edited by MattT1988 on January 31, 2019 11:55PM
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They do have a form of open world pvp dueling. This isn't like age of conan which has pve,pvevp, and pvp with a justice system for killing low level players severs. The severs are one big mega server for both eu and na in eso. I don't think they will ever add full on open world pvp since they already have the dueling system if you want to open world pvp challenge players to a duel. Or go to the designated Dueling areas not near the way shrine but in Stormhaven for example. Where there is that dueling arena. There is also Cyrodiil and battlegrounds. So there is multiple ways of pvping without having another sever for it. Soon they will have imperial city as its own campaign which might bring it back to live so you will have pvpve happening a lot more there then it is now. So a pvp open world sever is just unnecessary and I don't think many players would play that. This game was not designed as a main pvp focus. But a mix of pve/pvp/roleplaying in mind. They have focused a lot on the Pve/Roleplaying aspects. But also have not abandoned the pvp community and have given them some love too.

Its not perfect yes there is a lot of people that complain about abilties, armor sets, sever performance. But those things are to be expected the performance was a sacrifice they had to make to deal with a serious bot problem but the best solution they had was the delete limit, which got rid of annoying zone bot spam. I do not think they want to remove any other anti bot measures either. But I think they will continue to try and improve server performance by other means.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on February 1, 2019 12:08AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open-world PVP games work best in sandbox games that are light on quests and story content.

Open-world PVP would be an utter disaster in a themepark game like ESO. Doing writs? Ganked. Listening to an interesting bit of dialogue? Ganked. Reading the lorebooks? Ganked. Spending some time is trying to get a respec just right? Ganked. Fishing? Ganked. ERP? So very ganked.

It's an atrocious idea that flies directly in the face of everything that ESO does especially well.

Edited by MasterSpatula on February 1, 2019 12:02AM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would seem to be a poor idea.
  • bittalakrb14_ESO
    I don't understand why people are claiming Cyrodiil is empty; have you guys been there recently? Or are you on a console? On the PC version, it is very populated. And that's also with the Battlegrounds being populated too, with very small queue times. A dedicated open world PvP server would be possible. There are more than enough players that PvP for this to be possible. That said, I would rather see a PvP toggle option instead, so we don't split the population.
    Edited by bittalakrb14_ESO on March 22, 2019 6:55PM
  • armeegrun
    armeegrun
    ✭✭
    In WOW, sometimes while you were out questing and trying to level, some high level from the opposing faction would come along and kill you, then they would camp and wait for you to respawn. Then, after a few more deaths you decide to respawn at the wayshrine, only to find them waiting there for you as well. Finally you log off and try and come back later to get your toon out of the area. It was very frustrating at times.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabassa wrote: »
    Why don't we have this? It was definitely one of my favorite things about WoW. One server with all of Tamriel as fair game. No siege, no emperor, no special incentive other than AP, everyone above CP160 from an opposing faction is fair game at any time and this faction based mechanic only comes into play after CP 160. I think it would also be cool to have the ability to move characters from server to server at will and freely, which I think would make life a lot easier in terms of gathering PvP gear.

Because eso has a mega server structure, it would me needing another separate mega server thus dividing pvp and pve community so I have to say no.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would support it if, the population could support it just by sheer numbers alone, with out affecting the current servers.

Meaning, for it to even be remotely successful,
    The entire current PvP player population would have to be greater then the current combined PvE and PvP player population.

Any thing less would result into a ghost town zones, leaving only major city hubs filled with people. And wasted resources that could have gone elsweyr (pun), like balance, server stabilization, more content, more weapon variety, ect.

In WoW, their PvP Shard/Toggle works (barely) due to their population, and server merging/relabeling and cross server systems and safety inside sanctuary cities and faction cities. But still noticeable on the issues where non pvp players are suddenly forced in to PvP encounters when they are not toggled on.

TLDR Short answer. No. As well a toggle would have to be absolutely bug free and multiple warnings when turned on, which would be a waste of resources still.
    Edited by StormeReigns on March 22, 2019 8:33PM
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabassa wrote: »
    Why don't we have this? It was definitely one of my favorite things about WoW. One server with all of Tamriel as fair game. No siege, no emperor, no special incentive other than AP, everyone above CP160 from an opposing faction is fair game at any time and this faction based mechanic only comes into play after CP 160. I think it would also be cool to have the ability to move characters from server to server at will and freely, which I think would make life a lot easier in terms of gathering PvP gear.

No.
    No.
    No.
    What? No.
    And No, yes NO.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. It would be a dead zone and a logistical nightmare.

Imagine wayshrining into Elden Root. Promptly ganked before even rendering in.

Trolls and little kids would camp wayshrines, the bank, crafting tables and vendors. They’d be the only ones in there, and once they realize it they’ll leave too.

Everyone wants a cheap (unsuspecting) kill, especially on someone not equipped to fight.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people are claiming Cyrodiil is empty; have you guys been there recently? Or are you on a console? On the PC version, it is very populated. And that's also with the Battlegrounds being populated too, with very small queue times. A dedicated open world PvP server would be possible. There are more than enough players that PvP for this to be possible. That said, I would rather see a PvP toggle option instead, so we don't split the population.

Where are the choke points in open world? Cyrodiil has a lot of choke points. Those choke points are why Cyrodiil looks full. Cyrodiil is basically four zones because of the separate campaigns. Open world is fifteen zones not counting DLC's and chapters. There is nowhere near enough players to make PvP a fun experience in open world.

Not sure how a toggle could work. There would have to be a timer so players don't just toggle to PvP when ready to attack. Bigger problem though would be the hassle of figuring out who you could attack and targeting them as they mingle along with all the non PvP'rs.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open-world PVP games work best in sandbox games that are light on quests and story content.

Open-world PVP would be an utter disaster in a themepark game like ESO. Doing writs? Ganked. Listening to an interesting bit of dialogue? Ganked. Reading the lorebooks? Ganked. Spending some time is trying to get a respec just right? Ganked. Fishing? Ganked. ERP? So very ganked.

It's an atrocious idea that flies directly in the face of everything that ESO does especially well.

u mean like it is in imperial city and also all of cryodiil town and quest givers.
    they fixed that.
    they have it so people arent ganked and there is safe areas, and some quest givers are in safe areas.

if they wanted to it would be completely easy to give a safe radius around all the quest givers.
    they could also give people the option for pvp on / pvp off
    they could also make pvp and pve servers.
    it would be completely easy to do what we have been asking for now for over 5 years.
    it would not be the disaster you make it look like.

Edited by Gilvoth on March 23, 2019 12:24AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they also made the laddars safe to enter and leave in the sewers.
    a pvp open world is completely possible and would not take long to make.

Edited by Gilvoth on March 23, 2019 12:27AM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean- technically ZOS is giving you this with Imperial City. They’re even pulling it out of the Cyrodiil queue.

So- perhaps they’re setting this up as a forerunner for another instanced PVE/PVP land? Perhaps a future update will bring one that’s outside of IC (like a No-Man’s Land in Solstheim)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »

u mean like it is in imperial city and also all of cryodiil town and quest givers.
    they fixed that.
    they have it so people arent ganked and there is safe areas, and some quest givers are in safe areas.

if they wanted to it would be completely easy to give a safe radius around all the quest givers.
    they could also give people the option for pvp on / pvp off
    they could also make pvp and pve servers.
    it would be completely easy to do what we have been asking for now for over 5 years.
    it would not be the disaster you make it look like.

None of that changes the simple fact that there would not be enough players to make it viable. Some of the ideas would be easily abused. I could see players sitting just inside a safe zone waiting to leap out and strike any player approaching.

Cyrodiil works because of choke points. If there was not terrain and gates to force players into these choke points players would roam aimlessly looking for someone to fight. Go hang out at Crooked Finger Redoubt for a while. Open world PvP would be worse than trying to find a fight there.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for some unneeded back and forth. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful with the Forum Rules in mind to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post