The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

METAs killing the game

hesobad
hesobad
✭✭✭✭
Seems like every patch or dlc something new comes out that overperforms other sets and everyone and their mother flocks to it. Procs sets, shield stacking now the torugs dual wield enchant builds. Its killing the game for me and I'm sure for others too. Like i log on now and think; man, i know if i go into cyro to have some fun I'm going to run into all these meta bandwagon players running around on their stam nb with torugs viper and zaan or some similar form of cheese and ruin this game for me. It's less and less about skill but what combination of gear can you put together to make killing as quick and easy as possible. Only way to combat builds like this is to go full defensive and get zero kills, play a nightblade and perma stealth, zerg or fight meta with meta.

I can play this way and go 32 and 1 in a bg on a stam sorc with bs set combinations. Hop on my mag dk with zaan, sloads, overwhelming surge / Duroks bane and ruin peoples day. But this is just bad for the game and bad for its community. It doesnt take skill to hit fossilize and watch all my procs kill someone

Am i wrong? Do other people feel this way? Like one positive is that I'm enjoying playing other games where the BS isn't as bad as it is in ESO. The little patch thet did a few days back didnt fix the problem, the developers really need to play their own game and get a grip of what's going on here. Anyway i guess I'll stay awaitng the release day of Cyberpunk.
Edited by hesobad on November 2, 2018 7:44PM
Ad Victoriam!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Despite their being no response to the concerns about Torugs on PTS, they are responding pretty quickly to it now. It's going to last a whole 3 weeks or so (and the changes already implemented move it from absurdly OP to just kinda OP).

I think the only time in the past two years where "the meta" has been borderline monolithic was the HA proc meta right after 1 Tamriel....since then, there's been a lot of options for most specs.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the way I want and ignore all the META builds, and I perform just fine. I dont have to be the best. I just have to have fun.
  • goldenflameslinger
    goldenflameslinger
    ✭✭✭
    META is for the elitists. 90%+ of the game content could be played with a naked, broom and bucket set-up. You only chase the META if you want to, if being the best is your thing.
    PS4 NA DC id: goldenflamesling
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    META is for the elitists. 90%+ of the game content could be played with a naked, broom and bucket set-up. You only chase the META if you want to, if being the best is your thing.
    Maybe so in pve.
    Pvp is a completely different story. Might i remind u, were in the pvp section of the forums

OT:
    The game is doing fine as long as cashcows keep flooding its microtransaction market.
    And that community OP speaks of is no more than a small afterthought.
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • MLRPZ
    MLRPZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let the meta slaves play meta, play what you want to, and enjoy every kill on them
    AD // Marc the Epic Goat // Templar // AR50
    EP // The Goatfather // Templar // AR44
    AD // Unforgoatable // Sorc // AR33
    EP // You Goat Rekt // NB // AR28
    EP // Bill Goats // Swarden // AR28
    AD // Goat Ya // NB // AR24
    AD // Unforgoatten // StamDK // AR 21
    DC // Egoatcentric // Stamsorc // AR16

and many unused PVE chars

REMOVE FACTION LOCK

AoE Rats
    RIP Zerg Squad
    RIP Banana Squad Inc
    Not your typical goat

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hesobad wrote: »
    Seems like every patch or dlc something new comes out that overperforms other sets and everyone and their mother flocks to it. Procs sets, shield stacking now the torugs dual wield enchant builds. Its killing the game for me and I'm sure for others too. Like i log on now and think; man, i know if i go into cyro to have some fun I'm going to run into all these meta bandwagon players running around on their stam nb with torugs viper and zaan or some similar form of cheese and ruin this game for me. It's less and less about skill but what combination of gear can you put together to make killing as quick and easy as possible. Only way to combat builds like this is to go full defensive and get zero kills, play a nightblade and perma stealth, zerg or fight meta with meta.

I can play this way and go 32 and 1 in a bg on a stam sorc with bs set combinations. Hop on my mag dk with zaan, sloads, overwhelming surge / Duroks bane and ruin peoples day. But this is just bad for the game and bad for its community. It doesnt take skill to hit fossilize and watch all my procs kill someone

Am i wrong? Do other people feel this way? Like one positive is that I'm enjoying playing other games where the BS isn't as bad as it is in ESO. The little patch thet did a few days back didnt fix the problem, the developers really need to play their own game and get a grip of what's going on here. Anyway i guess I'll stay awaitng the release day of Cyberpunk.

Ideally, the equipment you wear should have 5-10% effect on your performance, just enough to give that slight edge in a fight between two equally good players.

Right now, between two equally good players, equipment is what decides the fight, not player skill. If one is running the latest overpowered BS and the other isn't, there is no contest.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Ideally, the equipment you wear should have 5-10% effect on your performance, just enough to give that slight edge in a fight between two equally good players.

Right now, between two equally good players, equipment is what decides the fight, not player skill. If one is running the latest overpowered BS and the other isn't, there is no contest.

And you got those numbers from where? I know where actually, from the posterior.

I am very confused by this notion that itemization is somehow less important than perceived skill. You fight this battle you can't win and get upset when the status quo stays status quo.

They have a clear direction for the game, you don't like it. You aren't gonna change it.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this. The problem isn't that competitive players will use whatever gives them the best return for effort (the meta) - the problem is that it's so tied to stuff. The newest stuff ofc, from the newest chapter or DLC, because I guess they think that's the only reason we'd ever want to do or own new content? Or they think having the players carry our gear in and letting it fight for us is good design.

I don't know what they're thinking, but I don't like it either. Feels bad to lose to it, feels bad to win with it.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    montjie wrote: »
    Maybe so in pve.
    Pvp is a completely different story. Might i remind u, were in the pvp section of the forums

OT:
    The game is doing fine as long as cashcows keep flooding its microtransaction market.

Same for PVP. You can still cheese your way through pvp in non meta. I do it all the time. I even wear blue non impen gear in pvp sometimes and its on a high CP character who passed level 50 months ago:O
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

I am very confused by this notion that itemization is somehow less important than perceived skill.

Of course itemization is important. But it should be there to allow you to custom-tailor your character, to perform better at certain activites. If you want to be better at sniping, you equip sets that support it. If you want to be better at melee, you equip a different set. This will allow you to perform better in certain scenarios, at the cost of performing worse in different ones.

But both of those sets should give the same overall power level. There should never be set A that will simply allow you to roll over anyone not using set A, regardless of the circumstances. Which unfortunately is what we have in the game now (torug/enchant/bleed or GTFO). That's not a good game design.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i worked hard for days to make this GOOD KILL PvP weapon!

9409-2.jpg

but when i got to cryodiil i saw everyone using this ...

tumblr_nmbvsovweE1tk04foo2_540.gif

so i got that same weapon and now i can join the fun :)
    it's not killing the Game, it's not killing eso.
    dont hate me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for baiting and flaming, both being against the Forum Rules. For further posts please be sure to stay constructive and respectful towards one another to avoid action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    montjie wrote: »
    Maybe so in pve.

OT:

Same for PVP. You can still cheese your way through pvp in non meta. I do it all the time. I even wear blue non impen gear in pvp sometimes and its on a high CP character who passed level 50 months ago:O

how is it the same if u wear gear and the convo was about being able to easily complete/participate in content while naked?
    do u run around in cyro naked killing enemies left nd right?
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Usually, when Zenimax releases something new that is really overperforming, they are well aware about it. It's simply a marketing strategy to make you buy their DLC until they nerf it the month after.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people playing the meta don't fully utalize it's capabilities and would therefor be better off using a completely different build suited for their playstyle. It has nothing to do with elitists. Most of the time it's clueless players that's looking for an easy build to follow that they've seen someone else use for their individual playstyle.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    META means Most Effective Tactic Available. With the plethora of ways to play and variety of pvp styles, there is very rarely an overall meta for pvp in this game. What you are referring to is Flavor of the Month. The actual META is varied across the different playstyles for pvp: Large group, medium group, small group, solo, BG, which all include the subsets of roles that actually offer a META for each.

TLDR 90% of the crap people whine about as META is actually FotM.
  • Aixy
    Aixy
    ✭✭✭

true the game is so so so easy
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I have to remind everyone that this game isn't an Esport ? Please stop trying to be the best becuase there is no best. Play the game however you want and have fun. If you die you die who cares, there's nothing on the line to win.

Except the children I love being entertained by your drama and Esport implication you feel eso has. Take the L always cracks me up... When you grow up, your going to hate real esport gaming. 😂
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will always exist a meta because a lot of players (most?) will gravitate towards whatever is easiest and cheesiest. I don’t think this game will ever be truly balanced and to some extent that’s okay. Plus ZOS wants PvP to appeal to noobs and casuals so they will always keep ways to dish out damage with no skill.
  • hesobad
    hesobad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    There will always exist a meta because a lot of players (most?) will gravitate towards whatever is easiest and cheesiest. I don’t think this game will ever be truly balanced and to some extent that’s okay. Plus ZOS wants PvP to appeal to noobs and casuals so they will always keep ways to dish out damage with no skill.

And they're gradually losing their veterans.
    Ad Victoriam!
  • hesobad
    hesobad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do I have to remind everyone that this game isn't an Esport ? Please stop trying to be the best becuase there is no best. Play the game however you want and have fun. If you die you die who cares, there's nothing on the line to win.

Except the children I love being entertained by your drama and Esport implication you feel eso has. Take the L always cracks me up... When you grow up, your going to hate real esport gaming. 😂

Never mentioned esport, ESO will never reach that level ever. My problem is that I've played the game since beta and have seen a lot of bs. Right now the game is in the worst state I've ever seen it in regards to PvP.
    Ad Victoriam!
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never mentioned esport, ESO will never reach that level ever. My problem is that I've played the game since beta and have seen a lot of bs. Right now the game is in the worst state I've ever seen it in regards to PvP.

If you played beta and your going on 4+ years why continue ? If you seen a trend and pattern developing you can see where this is going in PvP. Let's me save you 5 years of your time .... ready........... nowhere. Your welcome. 👍

If your a child your all good... you have nothing to worrie about. You didn't say Esport becuase, some people don't think of real skilled games when they play eso, they think of playing dress up, collecting mounts, home decor, roleplaying with other social awkward people. Guess that's just the Pve aspect ... as for the PvP the combat system is awesome. But was never intended to be balanced, it's used to generate revenue and showcase a new build or ability.

I wish some people could understand the differences between gaming today and gaming 10 years ago. Corperate development marketing strats run the entire base platform for all gaming today. ESO might have had a chance if corperate structure didn't control hinder the creative aspect of good fun fair gameplay.

At the same time there's been so many culture changes at ZOS in management that your lucky the servers are still on today. I took a long break becuase, pushing to much content is awful when they can't fix a sprint bug that's been in the game over a year. Something wrong and will get worse if entire player base tells them and doesn't listen.

I look at the forums as boredom entertainmemt and damage control for players that are so upset, that they rather complain on here instead of writing a letter to Zenimax Media. But players haven't done that becuase its not that important. So I just day have fun and enjoy the your time it has left...