The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sorcerer Shields, Here we go...

shiningforce
shiningforce
✭✭✭
So I was away for a short time, didnt realize that the devs decided at the last minute to change the outcome of the shields on Sorcerers. I actually thought 9 seconds is not that bad with a 1 seconds cast, I could learn to live with that. Then I return to this (shown Below:)

Why? Why would you do this, My shield is now just around 8,500 with withmothers Brew. The devs write, "we want players to make interesting choices when making damage shield builds" What like wear Medium or Heavy armor? Say goodbye to Magicka sustain or get really good at staying 90% out of the red in trials. "to make interesting choices" It's like you devs had no idea what you were doing when you made this decision, "well lets see what these people do with this blunder of a mess shall we". In trials, some dungeons depending on circumstance we have to pop our shields.

I understand the PVP issue some ppl are having with shields but this is not the answer.

If anyone has any idea on what to do now with our builds now that our shields have now been diminished to this rubble, I am all ears. Seems to me I may be switching classes.

====================Conjured Ward: The total strength of this ability is now limited to 50% of caster's max health.

Hardened Ward (morph): This morph now only ranks up the damage shield strength, instead of shield strength and caster self-shield bonus.

Developer Comment:
Spoiler
We want players to make interesting choices when making damage shield builds. These builds now require a balance of offensive and defensive stats, where previously a damage shield user could go for all offensive stats and also get a large damage shield that mitigated the fact that they had low max health. ===============

-- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • shiningforce
    shiningforce
    ✭✭✭
    English is not my first language, so I apologize if my writing is in any way bad.
    -- It is easy to be a Jerk Online; what do you win? Being Kind people remember you, help you, befriend you and you feel good too.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adapt or die !
  • The_Camper
    The_Camper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There you go folks. Here is the first of many.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's 10 seconds after a one second cast, but shield strength is capped now.

Supposedly other builds had to choose between damage and survivability, even though I've yet to see a legitimate example as to how (and several of those builds are still pulling higher numbers.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    Adapt or die !

literally! Adapt and overcome is the only path to choose.

It will make everyone better in the long run maybe, but it will be bumpy for a while for many, IMO.
  • Darkdex
    Darkdex
    ✭✭✭

Why? Why would you do this, My shield is now just around 8,500 with withmothers Brew. The devs write, "we want players to make interesting choices when making damage shield builds" What like wear Medium or Heavy armor? Say goodbye to Magicka sustain or get really good at staying 90% out of the red in trials. "to make interesting choices" It's like you devs had no idea what you were doing when you made this decision, "well lets see what these people do with this blunder of a mess shall we". In trials, some dungeons depending on circumstance we have to pop our shields.

As somebody said in another thread: Welcome to the stamina world. :wink:
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moar nightblades, please.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Conjured and Empowered Ward really get a 50% health cap? I can’t login yet, but it was 40% on PTS.

If so then what is the cap on Hardened Ward now?
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkdex wrote: »

Awesome, where is that magicka based heal over time for sorcs? I looked through my skills and couldn't find one.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casting a shield is already a choice between damage and survivability. I use resources, have a cast time, short duration, and the shield depletes often before end of duration... Especially when in vet content,this means recasting. Often times I need to heal behind a shield too, or do some kind of manoeuvre to safety. All costs time and resource = +survivability and -damage. In fact, I think every choice made for mag sorc is one of dmg vs survive.

I often unslot damage dealing skills to replace with structures entropy, where more health is needed... Is that not a choice dictated by survivability?

I fail to see what this 'improvement' fixes. If I change my armour from 5 light, 1 heavy, 1 medium, to all heavy... I get even less sustain than my previous choice to balance my damage against survivability; if I push more attributes into health and stamina, my resource pool shrinks, damage suffers, lower sustain and for the sake of very little return. Currently I have 54 magicka, 10 in health, thus sacrifice approx 1100 magicka for approx 1200 health... That sounds like a choice similar to what the devs are saying we should do already.

I'm confused to the logic in pvp too. I can snipe long range with destructive reach and hit for 18k on crit, enemy player goes up, and I can often kill them with a decent fp la combo. But when they reflect that first hit, I'm gone... Killed by my own haymaker. So I throw up a shield first? Reflected hit leaves me a sliver of health I might be able to recover from, because I made the survivability choice, but if that guy has friends, or wants to finish me, it makes no difference. Since the core issue was shield stacking, just making shields crittable fixes the problem.

I'd love to see the minutes and workings out that brought this idea to the table.
    Edited by mairwen85 on October 22, 2018 4:07PM
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Sorc 2014- 2018 just do what do and pretend this class doesn't exist as far as i'm concerned the class is dead reroll Nightblade, Templar is looking really good this patch or play anything but mag warden and relax it sucks Ive mained a sorc since at least console release once I get my Xbox NA Sorc to Grand Overlord here in a few days I probably won't pvp with him again and ill probably not be allowed into any serious trial runs I glad this doesn't hit console for a few weeks so at least my Xbox sorc is good but I might start playing BDO alot more when that happens.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    RIP Sorc 2014- 2018 ... I might start playing BDO alot more when that happens.

I've been playing more BDO lately as I am so aggravated with not just the heavy nerfs placed upon sorcs, but also the utter and complete *** attitudes of those who cannot tolerate a sorc style of play (looking at you Magblades and MagDKs). I feel like every other class benefits more from magicka than sorcs do, forget about the lot of options they have outside of class that they can use to complement the class, where sorcs lose out do to lousy passives too strictly tied to light armor, weak CCs, longest cast times in the game, and now another hit to shields. I've respecced my magsorc so many times to gain any form of upperhand in battle whatsoever, and honestly have found the class to be average at best.

OK? So what?

Well Sorcs in BDO are beasts! Not only are the fight mechanics awesome feeling, but *** I am one-shotting players right out the gate! Even when there have been nerfs to classes in that game, they fix each of the classes not just nerf one that may have an unfair advantage based on community hearsay. What ZOS has to learn from the game designers at BDO, is to fix the game as whole, and not punish avid fans and players of their game.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on October 22, 2018 4:42PM
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Conjured and Empowered Ward really get a 50% health cap? I can’t login yet, but it was 40% on PTS.

Wanna know this as well. On PTS, only Hardened Ward got bumped up to 50%. If all morphs are now 50%, then Hardened Ward morph is worthless. I can't log in to check yet though.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was the wrong change...

The developers should have worked to clean up mechanics that were causing 4 person groups to use shields and omit healers.

Nerfing shields was easier, but I don't think it will have the intended result. Now they will have to nerf Stamina builds in PvP when they realize they just deleted 1/4 of Magicka builds to make Magicka builds more viable, and on it goes...
    Playing since beta...
  • _Salty_
    _Salty_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the tears shed in all of Tamriel......Sorc tears are by far the sweetest.......
    Psn l---Salty---l

Patiently waiting to make a Stankcromancer.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Salty_ wrote: »
    Of all the tears shed in all of Tamriel......Sorc tears are by far the sweetest.......

Quite the username for that comment.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »
    Adapt or die !

Or unsub, which is the rational choice.
  • EvilKiwi
    EvilKiwi
    ✭✭✭
    I guess Bastion is useless now as shields have been capped at 50% health. RIP magsorc :(
    No Lollygagging.
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shield nerf was a bad move, but it has nothing to do with PVE trials. You should absolutely not be able to stand in red in trials and just shield spam. That has nothing to do with play style, you want easy mode. No thanks.

The problem is PVP. Stam is so superior to magic in PVP that it's a bad joke at this point. It just got significantly worse, especially for mag sorcs. They are going to be nothing but free AP at this point.

I tried out some PVP on NA-PC this morning. While not getting focused of course I was as normal. That said, when focused I had no defense, Surge/Shield kept me alive for a second and then death. I'll be going back to the drawing board for a bit...

Trying to figure out if shields are worth it at all. Stamina obviously is the EASY answer. That said I already have plenty of Stam toons. Maybe I'll search through all those plentiful MagSorc Murkmire builds on Youtube for inspiration....oh wait, there are none...yet. Wonder why lol.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's 10 seconds after a one second cast, but shield strength is capped now.

Supposedly other builds had to choose between damage and survivability, even though I've yet to see a legitimate example as to how (and several of those builds are still pulling higher numbers.)

No cast time. Instant cast.

What you can do OP, based on your CP level is take whatever CP points you had in Bastion and put them in one of the other 5 areas of those CP trees to improve defence. I had 56 points in Bastion on my CP 810+ Sorc so I just put all but 11 (left 11 in healing I think to get the 15% reduction in damage while rezzing another player). I put the other 45 points into Light Armour Focus to raise my Physical resistance. You may be able to get around 15 to 20 K Physical resistance without changing your gear setup. So my Sorc now has 21 K Spell resistance and 17K Physical resistance. The resistance values apply before your shield so it should help overall defence on the Sorc. You can also go 7 Light Armour to raise Spell resistance but then you lose any Undaunted passives you may have. We do have some choices to work with. I'm also looking at some other gear sets for more survivability.

On my Mag Warden it faired much better. Buffed it is over 23K Spell resistance and 21 K Physical resistance. I just soloed Dark Shade Caverns on it (normal mode) and never used the damage shield. Easy. Had to wait a few minutes between bosses for the Plunder Skull cooldown.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanna know this as well. On PTS, only Hardened Ward got bumped up to 50%. If all morphs are now 50%, then Hardened Ward morph is worthless. I can't log in to check yet though.

It's a 40% health cap on Annulment and Empowered. It's 50% health cap on Hardened and Dampened. Yes, they are capped. Take whatever points you have in Bastion and use them elsewhere. You will never use anything added by Bastion on a Magicka DPS character.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Salty_ wrote: »

Then it's called sugar, ya moron.
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this in the patch notes:

"Your Spell and Physical Resistance now reduces incoming damage before it is applied to your damage shield."

With dev comments:

"It means that damage shields are more powerful in PvE content since monsters generally don’t reduce armor."

Has anyone actually tried the shields with the changes in PvE? I get it that reducing drastically the shield quantity can cause overreaction, but i'm curious if it'll be such a huge change to survivability as everyone is making it out to be. (in PvE world, as I don't really PvP)
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKith wrote: »
    I saw this in the patch notes:

"Your Spell and Physical Resistance now reduces incoming damage before it is applied to your damage shield."

With dev comments:

"It means that damage shields are more powerful in PvE content since monsters generally don’t reduce armor."

Has anyone actually tried the shields with the changes in PvE? I get it that reducing drastically the shield quantity can cause overreaction, but i'm curious if it'll be such a huge change to survivability as everyone is making it out to be. (in PvE world, as I don't really PvP)

In PVE, shields are nerfed. Sure, monsters don't crit, but PVE magicka sorcs generally don't spec into resistances or health since doing so reduces damage done.

In PVP, shields can be made slightly stronger than before with a small loss of burst damage.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove several comments for baiting and flaming, both being against the Forum Rules. For further posts please be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • mateosalvaje
    mateosalvaje
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean shield stacking is going to become mandatory to survive? I play Ps4, so it hasn't gotten to me yet.
    I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.
  • Darkdex
    Darkdex
    ✭✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »

Awesome, where is that magicka based heal over time for sorcs? I looked through my skills and couldn't find one.

You have surge, and you STILL have your shield, the thing is that you actually need to be aware of the trial environment since (hopefully) you just can't just eat all the damage with your shield.

As you said, you just need to git gud at following mechanics and getting out of red, just like stamina is used to.

Hopefully this change leads to better content design so magicka (with the new shields) and stamina are both suited for the content unlike vAS+2 and vCR+3.
    Edited by Darkdex on October 22, 2018 11:02PM
  • istuc
    istuc
    Soul Shriven
    If i have to sacrifice all my dps now just to stay alive then why play a dps class. dont feel like rolling another class so see ya eso. maybe if enough people unsub like me youll get your heads out of your asses.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKith wrote: »

@JKith

Yes, the 7k-8k ish shield is gone with a single blow from a mini boss, 2 blows from a trash mob. You have to constantly recast and weave in heavy attacks because the constant shield casting is eating up all your magicka.

But hey, at least i don't have to worry about my Clannfear anymore because it's already long dead and i don't have any magicka left to recast.

That's (soloing) vet dungeons and vMA in a nutshell ...
    unsure.gif
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »

You have surge, and you STILL have your shield, the thing is that you actually need to be aware of the trial environment since (hopefully) you just can't just eat all the damage with your shield.

As you said, you just need to git gud at following mechanics and getting out of red, just like stamina is used to.

Hopefully this change leads to better content design so magicka (with the new shields) and stamina are both suited for the content unlike vAS+2 and vCR+3.

I am sorry to break it for you, but while stamina users are so accustomed at being "1 shot-kill" wonders in PvP, they die like cattle in trials.

Nerfing shields will do nothing to make them better players.
    I've learned to play at melee range with no shields at vCR+x and stay alive with FAR less health (and no HoT) than them, while they still die next to me.

So, what's next, nerf my health to 2k so that "stamina gods" can "earn" their spot?
    Edited by Vahrokh on October 23, 2018 12:18AM