Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

BGs and MMR

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGs in ESO are awesome. Seriously. If you haven’t tried one, you should give it a shot! They’re a blast.
    I can see the potential of them being fun, but sadly, these things called "other players" get into my game and ruin the chance of BGs being awesome.

First: Group forming. 10 - 20 minutes of people entering/leaving group, most likely because they see other non CP750s in queue. Wonderful experience, waiting for group formation.

Second: Rage quitting. Nothing screams "Group play!" than someone who gets upset because they're losing. Probably someone bragging about how many motifs they can get. :wink:

Third: Toxic environment. When people don't rage quit, they instead focus the rage on the group, screaming obscenities at them because "they don't know what they're doing", which is probably true given there's no indicator stating the person is playing for the first time or the 100th. So why not take the easy route out and just blame everyone.

Yep. Awesome.

• Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I am terrible at battlegrounds.

I run several toons through randoms.

No idea what this mmr is you speak of.

Que is very quick usually.

Where does little rocket man come into this discussion? And water boarding?

Battlegrounds are mad fun. Don’t expect to win.

MMR is your matchmaking ranking. It's a number that exists behind the scenes that basically determines who you play with. So, hypothetically, as a new BG player let's say your MMR is like 2 (very low [also worth noting, actual values are unknown]). The highest population of BG players is low-MMR, so you'll find it easy to get in games, as there are plenty of people queuing around your MMR level (and matchmaking obviously wants to match you up with people of comparable skill levels, determined by MMR, but there are flaws with the way that system works and various aspects of gameplay it doesn't take into account, but that's for another discussion).

When a player has been in BGs for years now, their MMR goes up (naturally), and the higher it gets, the smaller the pool of players at a comparable MMR level exists. It's kind of like a bell curve, but with the height of the bell being much closer to a low-value than a mid-range value. The few players who have very high MMRs have to wait for very very long times to get into a match because there is just a shortage of people at their level queuing for matches. This results in the MMR increasing the range of players it is willing to accept to match them with. So, what happens next is that someone with an MMR of (hypothetical numbers again, actual values are unknown) 50 has to wait for 45 minutes to an hour, by which point the MMR system has changed the level of teammates/opponents it is willing to accept for the MMR 50 player and starts matching them with people who's MMR levels are around 10, which is an obviously unfair fight. This is why (as you say) one should "not expect to win" because the matchmaking system is literally bad for everyone. Good players have to wait forever, and new players still end up getting steamrolled by the veterans and pre-made groups.

As to your other question, I'm not exactly sure where Kim Jong Un or waterboarding fit into this, but I suspect it was just a ploy to generate more interest in this thread. It certainly worked for me...
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three things:
    • I just wanted to represent here real quick for the silent majorminority about this.
      How do you know they want you to represent them? I mean, they're silent, after all? Do they write it down on a piece of paper somewhere, leave it in dead drop? Really, how does this work (I realize you can't talk about it.)
    • I'd have taken your mock outrage more seriously had your Nerdrage been over 9000.
    • Anyways, love you guys, and I’m sure that my rant won’t stop the salt flood here
      Considering this thread is partly intended to farm salt, probably a safe bet.
    BG's themselves are great, even if some of the builds and premades are still very much ***.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR?
    weedgenius wrote: »
    What is MRR :confused:

Match Maker Rank: A statistic derived from your overall performance in a competitive activity (in the case of ESO, battlegrounds), which may incorporate stats such as win:loss, or Kills:Deaths.

As far as I can remember, there's no public information on how ESO's works.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed several nonconstructive and baiting comments. This is a reminder that baiting is against our forum rules and comments need to remain on topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Fake Remedy
    Fake Remedy
    ✭✭✭
    MMR stands for MatchMaking Rating
    Fake Remedy

yt. Fake_Remedy
    twitch. Fake_Remedy
    discord. fake_remedy#3254
    e. fake_remedy@hotmail.com
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PVP is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS cantankerous as some people will group q and the poopsock for days and then rant because guess what, that’s not really fun.

The only thing worse than poopshoe is poopsock. Pooptoes just goes without saying. Ranting is allowed, there should not have been any poop where you stepped. Just throw it away, there's no point hand washing it unless it was your favorite sock.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR?
    weedgenius wrote: »
    What is MRR :confused:

Match Maker Rank: A statistic derived from your overall performance in a competitive activity (in the case of ESO, battlegrounds), which may incorporate stats such as win:loss, or Kills:Deaths.

As far as I can remember, there's no public information on how ESO's works.
    MMR stands for MatchMaking Rating

@starkerealm @Fake Remedy Got it - thanks so much for the answers!
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @nerdrage9000 you sweet summer child...... oh how i envy you.
  • raistin87
    raistin87
    ✭✭✭
    lpw wrote: »
    I've played BGs almost exclusively for a few months on PC/EU. I'm not really one to whine about skills or sets (sloads, rune cage etc) and can compete. If I don't do well, then I know what I did wrong.

I always queue solo. Always for deathmatch.

This last week though the queue has been the worst it has been for a long time.

I would say 95% of queue pops, someone declines the invite. The two times last night I did get into a match I was stuck at "waiting for players" on the ledge for around 10 minutes before logging out, waiting for the deserter penalty and trying again.

Did this twice and after more declines, finally got into a match around 1 hour after logging in. We were destroyed 500 - 120 - 85 by a premade with a pocket healer.

Not much fun.

This pretty much sums up my experience too
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've played BGs almost exclusively for a few months on PC/EU. I'm not really one to whine about skills or sets (sloads, rune cage etc) and can compete. If I don't do well, then I know what I did wrong.

I would say 95% of queue pops, someone declines the invite. The two times last night I did get into a match I was stuck at "waiting for players" on the ledge for around 10 minutes before logging out, waiting for the deserter penalty and trying again.

Did this twice and after more declines, finally got into a match around 1 hour after logging in. We were destroyed 500 - 120 - 85 by a premade with a pocket healer.

Not much fun.

EU BG's seems to be bugged at primetime.

MMR's Doesnt make sense if pugs and premades are mixed together, there is a huge difference between a pug group without optimal roles with lesser experieced players and a premade with experienced players and optimal roles and voice com and probably optimal gear.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much fun.

EU BG's seems to be bugged at primetime.

MMR's Doesnt make sense if pugs and premades are mixed together, there is a huge difference between a pug group without optimal roles with lesser experieced players and a premade with experienced players and optimal roles and voice com and probably optimal gear.

MMR gets artificially inflated by a group being a premade. One of the things ZOS is working on is trying to pinpoint exactly how much of an MMR “premium” a group should get just for being a premade. At present it’s pretty high.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp