The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Talos/Tiber Septim

generalmyrick
generalmyrick
✭✭✭✭✭
I cannot decide what "Tiber Septim" would be if I made a character around him....

Nord or Breton?

Sorc or DK or Magblade or? (dks aren't storm related, neither are magblades technically...)
=====================

So I ask you loremasters!!!!

what would tiber be as a class and race in eso as a character i could build?

here is a link to help if you don't have it = http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Tiber_Septim
"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who? That sounds like someone that doesn't exist yet :P
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't he an Imperial? Nord? Either of those, I can't remember.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine he's on the continuum of Nord, Breton and Imperial. They're all human and the differences aren't exactly one or the other. It is also intentionally unclear from the lore what he is. He was known as Hjalti though which doesn't sound like anything but Nord to me except for the fact he is known as Hjalti Early Beard of High Rock. High rock is of course Breton. This isn't strange however when you consider that the Breton people are themselves of Nordic stock and mixed with the Direnni. So what was Hjalti? Maybe he was just a Nord that grew up in High Rock. Maybe he was Nordic and had a little Breton/Reachman ancestry. Who knows they leave it intentionally unclear. As for the classes: None of the ESO classes sound appropriate to me for Tiber Septim. He was an Imperial Soldier that trained with the Graybeards. I would offer that the Sorcerer class doesn't make much sense for Tiber apart from the Hurricane skill but honestly 'Hurricane' is a weak comparison to the stormcalling that a Dragonborn trained in the voice can do. Just play Skyrim you'll see what I mean.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ArgonianTemplar
    ArgonianTemplar
    Soul Shriven
    Tiber Septim was a Nord, but founded the Imperials...so he's kind of both? Imperials and Nords have the same ancestors I don't know exactly when the two diverged.

He was most certainly not a Breton, because Bretons are a mix of human and elf from a period when elves enslaved humans. That's why they look mostly human but have magic abilities more like an elf.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tiber Septim was a fiction created by Hjalti Early-Beard (a Breton, probably raised in High Rock, though later it became the case that he was from Atmora), Wulfharth the Ash-King (an undead Nord warlord thirsting for revenge on his Dunmer enemies), and Zurin Arctus (a politically savvy Imperial battlemage).

Hjalti was basically the star general of an early claimant to the Imperial throne, one Cuhlecain. In fact, he became so much of a star (due to Wulfharth's empowering of him and Zurin's political machinations) that his fame swiftly eclipsed that of the emperor himself, so eventually when the emperor passes (or is gotten rid of), Hjalti is pretty much guaranteed to replace him. But the thing is, the star that everyone loved and followed and believe in, Tiber Septim, was just an image -- a fabrication based on some truth (after all, Hjalti-empowered-by-Wulfharth really was amazingly powerful), but a fabrication all the same. There never was one person named Tiber Septim -- until, thanks to the Numidium, there was.

So you could probably make him Breton, Nord, or Imperial, depending on which player in the little drama you want to RP.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im going nord sorc.

FUN!
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • tyjoie
    tyjoie
    ✭✭
    Tiber Septim was (most likely)a Breton who grew up in Skyrim who would later go on to rule an empire out of Cyrodiil, adopting a more imperial name and identity. Make of that what you wish.
    Edited by tyjoie on January 8, 2018 12:00AM
    Ex-Beta tester
    Playing since 2014
    Still a noob
    Green-Sap Loyalist
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tiber Septim was a Nord, but founded the Imperials...so he's kind of both? Imperials and Nords have the same ancestors I don't know exactly when the two diverged.

He was most certainly not a Breton, because Bretons are a mix of human and elf from a period when elves enslaved humans. That's why they look mostly human but have magic abilities more like an elf.

No, Imperials are waaaaaay older than Tiber Septim. Imperials are decendants of Alessians
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Tiber Septim was a fiction created by Hjalti Early-Beard (a Breton, probably raised in High Rock, though later it became the case that he was from Atmora), Wulfharth the Ash-King (an undead Nord warlord thirsting for revenge on his Dunmer enemies), and Zurin Arctus (a politically savvy Imperial battlemage).

Hjalti was basically the star general of an early claimant to the Imperial throne, one Cuhlecain. In fact, he became so much of a star (due to Wulfharth's empowering of him and Zurin's political machinations) that his fame swiftly eclipsed that of the emperor himself, so eventually when the emperor passes (or is gotten rid of), Hjalti is pretty much guaranteed to replace him. But the thing is, the star that everyone loved and followed and believe in, Tiber Septim, was just an image -- a fabrication based on some truth (after all, Hjalti-empowered-by-Wulfharth really was amazingly powerful), but a fabrication all the same. There never was one person named Tiber Septim -- until, thanks to the Numidium, there was.

So you could probably make him Breton, Nord, or Imperial, depending on which player in the little drama you want to RP.

That doesn't explain the fact that Tiber Septim descendants were able to wear the Chim-el-Adabal. So it would make Tiber Septim a descendant of Alessia?

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my nord sorc is beast....just saying.

TALOS!!!!

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

That doesn't explain the fact that Tiber Septim descendants were able to wear the Chim-el-Adabal. So it would make Tiber Septim a descendant of Alessia?

Neither the official story (he was born in Atmora) nor the heretical story (he was a fictional construct created around Hjalti) has him as a descendant of Alessia. There's no lore (beyond Imperial propaganda) establishing that only a certain bloodline can wear the amulet, and certainly the Empire understood the Septim and Reman dynasties (both of which wore the Amulet) as being distinct bloodlines.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Neither the official story (he was born in Atmora) nor the heretical story (he was a fictional construct created around Hjalti) has him as a descendant of Alessia. There's no lore (beyond Imperial propaganda) establishing that only a certain bloodline can wear the amulet, and certainly the Empire understood the Septim and Reman dynasties (both of which wore the Amulet) as being distinct bloodlines.

So it was Akatosh will at the end. He decided who was worthy of wearing the amulet and he did so with the Septim and the Reman

It is quite sad Varen had no merits, then... in fact, the very same Akatosh could have stopped the planemeld just by leting Varen wear the Amulet

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is pretty much a Nord. As I recall he is from Atmora
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2E 827

Talos (or Hjalti Early-Beard), later is known as Tiber Septim, the first Emperor of Septim dynasty, is born. His birthplace is unclear, being listed to us as both Atmora and Anticlere.
    Source: Pocket Guide to the Empire 1st Edition: Cyrodiil, Holidays of the Iliac Bay.

Imperials were started after the Slave Revolt of Alessia in 1E242.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the events of Oblivion. The only other person to wear the Amulet had been Mankhar Cameron during the game
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    So it was Akatosh will at the end. He decided who was worthy of wearing the amulet and he did so with the Septim and the Reman

It is quite sad Varen had no merits, then... in fact, the very same Akatosh could have stopped the planemeld just by leting Varen wear the Amulet

True, but we don't know if that would of helped. It could of gave Molag Bal even more power over Nirn.
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Akatosh could have stopped the planemeld just by leting Varen wear the Amulet

sure he could have, but why would he? he laid out a very clear deal, and the mortals tried to scheme their way around it. it's only fair to let them clean up their own mess.

imagine your daughter asks for a cookie and you say "not now, we're having dinner soon". she sneaks off to the cookie jar and takes one anyway and you find her eating it. do you just say "aww that's okay, we'll just have cookies for dinner!"
    hopefully not. that's grounds for a scolding, even if scolding her will tire you out a bit.

if Akatosh just lets the mortals make up their own rules for the Alessian Covenant he won't be revered as an authority, and the power derived from that reverence is basically the only thing he's set to gain out of the deal.

• swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the events of Oblivion. The only other person to wear the Amulet had been Mankhar Cameron during the game

the history of the Amulet is much longer than the events of TES:3. Akatosh grants the Dragonblood at his choosing.
  • ZOS_Holden
    ZOS_Holden
    Community Rep
    im going nord sorc.

FUN!

Great answer, and bonus points for choosing the class most likely (maybe) to travel through time! Feel free to let us know, or show us, how your character turns out.
    Staff Post
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Holden wrote: »
    im going nord sorc.

FUN!

Great answer, and bonus points for choosing the class most likely (maybe) to travel through time! Feel free to let us know, or show us, how your character turns out.

whoaaaaaaaa!!!1 <3<3<3<3<3<3

what does travel through time mean!?

• cool6654
    cool6654
    ✭✭
    Breton nightblade.
  • Saphayla
    Saphayla
    ✭✭✭
    im going nord sorc.

FUN!

Perhaps it's a reference to the fact that there's still a while to go between ESO and Talos, so he'd have to be a time traveler to exist during the Alliance War
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh!

the dlcs all point to tiber imo! :-)

• Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saphayla wrote: »
    im going nord sorc.

FUN!

Perhaps it's a reference to the fact that there's still a while to go between ESO and Talos, so he'd have to be a time traveler to exist during the Alliance War

Yep, about 250 years roughly between ESO (582 for the base game storyline) & Talos (828, the birthdate of Talos), then add some years for talos to grow up a bit.
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭

Where did you get the information that Hjalti was a Breton? Hjalti Early-Beard sounds like a very Nordic sounding name to me. Remember that a Nord born in High Rock doesn't make said Nord a Breton. Culturally, sure since he grew up in Alcaire, but racially? Still a Nord
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »

Where did you get the information that Hjalti was a Breton? Hjalti Early-Beard sounds like a very Nordic sounding name to me. Remember that a Nord born in High Rock doesn't make said Nord a Breton. Culturally, sure since he grew up in Alcaire, but racially? Still a Nord

Agree. Where did you get this from? It sounds like "Fan Fiction" or some of MK's later ramblings.
    Talos was a man and born probably in Atmora. He was a Nord.
    2E 827
    Talos (or Hjalti Early-Beard), later is known as Tiber Septim, the first Emperor of Septim dynasty, is born. His birthplace is unclear, being listed to us as both Atmora and Anticlere.
    Source: Pocket Guide to the Empire 1st Edition: Cyrodiil, Holidays of the Iliac Bay.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't he an Imperial? Nord? Either of those, I can't remember.

The man we call "Talos" is a breton named Hjalti Early-Beard who was born on the isle of Alcaire. This has been a "heretical" theory since Morrowind, but it was all but confirmed in Skyrim when the ghost who thinks you're Tiber Septim explicitly calls you "Hjalti".

Tiber Septim was basically a clever charlatan who was aligned with a powerful battlemage and a nordic ghost who had The Voice. They all conspired together to take over Tamriel and kill Hjalti's commander, Cuhlecain. The ghost left Hjalti sometime after he killed Cuhlecain, which is the real reason he "lost" The Voice after Cuhlecain died.

After Hjalti died, his followers created a myth out of his accomplishments which eventually combined the exploits of Hjalti, the ghost, and the battlemage, creating the modern interpretation of a being called "Talos".

So, short answer: "Tiber Septim" was a breton, not a nord and definitely not an imperial.

The reason Hjalti is a breton with such a "nordic" name is because when this lore was created, the idea was that "ancient" humans had different naming schemes than we have today. This is also why many in-game authors have names that don't match up with any of the current naming schemes, and it's why many bretons had more nordic-sounding names "back in the day". This was all thrown out with ESO, where they decided to make all the human cultures much more stagnant and similar to their modern counterparts.

Source: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Arcturian_Heresy and http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ghost_of_Old_Hroldan
    Edited by psychotrip on March 18, 2018 8:10PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.