The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Official Feedback Thread for Dark Brotherhood Skill Line

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the Dark Brotherhood Skill Line. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes:
  • We’d love to hear your feedback on each skill, particularly the Blade of Woe.
  • How did you like the execution camera?
    • What was your overall impression of the Blade of Woe killing experience?
    • Were you able to exit out of the execution camera when you wanted to?
    • Did you turn the camera off at any point, or leave it on?
  • Did you like the Assassin’s style item that you received?
  • Did you enjoy the visuals for each skill?
  • Did you find that you were able to execute entire towns and potentially block other players’ progression?
  • If you acquired the Shadowy Connections skill, did you find a Shadowy Supplier afterwards?
    • Were you able to acquire a boon from the Supplier?
    • Do you think the boon help with murder and mayhem enough to go back to the Supplier regularly?
    • Any feedback on the quantity or quality of the boons?
  • If you acquired Padomaic Sprint, did you find it was exciting? Did you find any NPCs in Cyrodiil that you could use this against?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to make a suggestion about the blade of woe, its almost addictive using this to kill NPCs but it would add a lot more to the experience if your outfit gets a bit bloody after using the blade of woe to kill a target for a few seconds.

Edited by Ra'Shtar on April 26, 2016 4:53AM
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • jwboudreau1b16_ESO
    jwboudreau1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for the Dark Brotherhood Skill Line. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes:
    • Did you find that you were able to execute entire towns and potentially block other players’ progression?
    • If you acquired the Shadowy Connections skill, did you find a Shadowy Supplier afterwards?
      • Were you able to acquire a boon from the Supplier?
      • Do you think the boon help with murder and mayhem enough to go back to the Supplier regularly?
      • Any feedback on the quantity or quality of the boons?
    • If you acquired Padomaic Sprint, did you find it was exciting? Did you find any NPCs in Cyrodiil that you could use this against?

I absolutely love the Blade of Woe. A great callback to the series and a great new gameplay mechanic. I love the cinematic camera shots (there should be more down the road :D ), the variety of executions, and the brutal animations. Amazing.

My only real issue is that as a Vampire it's awkward to pull off. "X" is the feed button, so I often get one or the other and it's confusing/does not allow me to execute one or the other when I want to. It would be nice if this was mapped to another key and/or can be custom mapped (I don't believe that it currently can be).

Another cool thing would be if we could turn off the indicator. I don't like that I'm stalking someone and then I hear a ping noise followed by an onscreen prompt that says that I can perform this action. I would prefer to press the executioner key (ideally not "X", once again) and for it to just happen or not, depending on the distance between myself and an NPC.

Keep up the good work :) It's great to see the amount of care and detail that went into this DLC!
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blade of Woe is really great and fun, however there is a problem with it if you are a Vampire, sometimes you feed on the target instead of assassinating the target.
    Something needs to be done about this.
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, as a vampire (and I am sure a lot of other will be with dark brotherhood), being able to reliably choose whether to feed or execute will be critical, especially now that the vamp passives will be tied to vampire stages (which I like). However, it I am trying to be super sneaky with my dark stalker passive, and then suddenly get rid of it by accident when I feed instead of execute, that is not fun.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I love the assassination animation for the blade of woe. The blood needs some adjusting though. It looks too much like jelly coming out rather than blood. Can we make the blood darker, spray more, and possibly reduce the amount? It just looks kind of cheesy in its current state.
  • Zoltan_117
    Zoltan_117
    ✭✭✭
    I just killed every NPC in Kvatch, leaving a trail of bodies everywhere and guards and NPCs are just walking on top of them and no one batted an eye or pretended to care. It feels unrealistic and unbalanced, I feel there needs to be some risk in it, the NPCs should call a local guard, and the guard should be on alert around the body, it can't be that hard to do Devs.

I also made a thread about the above topic:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/262538/guards-and-npcs-desperately-need-to-react-to-dead-bodies?new=1

I have more feedback and would share this in a separate post.
  • Zoltan_117
    Zoltan_117
    ✭✭✭
    One issue I found with assassinations is I could not pull this off fast as I was always having to be careful not to pull off the vampire feed ability which happens to share the same hotkey and is available to use at different distances. I triggered the feed multiple times causing me to get a bounty. Also in a tight space we don't have the ability to choose between them.
    Edited by Zoltan_117 on April 28, 2016 1:23AM
  • x5ofspadez
    x5ofspadez
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the Blade of Woe Ability. But just one question. Is it supposed to Insta-kill any "normal" story mob?
    XBOX NA EP Knights of Athena
    Marijan V16 Magicka Templar
    Sloba V16 Magicka Nightblade
    Danica V16 Magicka Sorc (AD)
    Dat Lady V7 Stamina Sorc
    Radvan V3 Stamplar
    Grobari V1 Magicka DK
    Zeljiko V1 Magicka Nightblade
    Ganks-From-Shadows L20 Magicka Nightblade BwB

PC NA DC Wings of Fate
    Arienne L'Mortelle V7 Magicka Nightblade
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    How did you like the execution camera?
    What was your overall impression of the Blade of Woe killing experience?
    Were you able to exit out of the execution camera when you wanted to?

It seems to work well and as the above have said, it's a really cool ability.
    If you acquired the Shadowy Connections skill, did you find a Shadowy Supplier afterwards?
    Were you able to acquire a boon from the Supplier?

I just unlocked this skill, but I'm not able to get any of the items from the supplier, though I can interact with them and I can see the list of choices. (They are marked with red, I guess to indicate that I can choose only one?)
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shadowy supplier passive ability doesn't seem to be working. This is not from the skill line but it has to do with DB so ill report it here The Black Hand Robe costume is extremely bloated on the upper part chest and the Shrouded Armor costume clips on the feet of beast races.
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also can't get anything from a shadowy supplier. I tried the NPC in the DB sanctuary, later on I spotted one in the Davon's Watch outlaw refuge, who just gave me the same dialogue options which were in red and I couldn't select any. I have the passive.
    Edited by Epona222 on April 29, 2016 4:32AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Execution camera was a nice touch initially, gave a nice touch of cinematics to normal assassinations.

Was intuitive enough. The biggest draw of the Blade of Woe is that it allows for bounty-free kills (assuming you aren't spotted) but this sometimes fails due to weird NPC spot mechanics. This ability to avoid the bounty is what I like the most.

Wasn't aware I could do that.

Did you turn the camera off at any point, or leave it on?
    I turned it off after a while. The camera bugs out if your target is next to objects like boxes/walls etc. The camera would often get stuck in the wall etc. and I decided it wasn't working well enough for me to use. Also, the slow motion would activate when I initiated combat and I would often get hit by the other mobs while I was busy assassinating the first.

Did you like the Assassin’s style item that you received?
    Too rare to be useful honestly. Need to increase the drop rate significantly. In over 100 kills I only received 4 fragments. Make the style material much more common please.

Did you enjoy the visuals for each skill?
    Nice enough, nothing too spectacular though.

Did you find that you were able to execute entire towns and potentially block other players’ progression?
    The biggest obstacle I can forsee is the Litany of Blood quests/any quest with targets in the open world. If the NPCs aren't instanced EVERY PLAYER is going to be competing to assassinate this ONE NPC. This is rubbish. Griefers are going to camp the hell out of these special NPCs. Something has to be changed.

If you acquired the Shadowy Connections skill, did you find a Shadowy Supplier afterwards?
    [*] Were you able to acquire a boon from the Supplier?
    [*] Do you think the boon help with murder and mayhem enough to go back to the Supplier regularly?
    [*] Any feedback on the quantity or quality of the boons?
    N/A, the supplier doesn't give me anything. Could we just make it a once/twice a day mail with one item of each class please? Like everyday/every 12 hours the NPC sends you a mail with some poisons, some disguises, a weapon or armour piece (perhaps style materials?). No point running all the way back for one item. The NPC has no dialogue anyway so cutting her makes no difference either way.

If you acquired Padomaic Sprint, did you find it was exciting? Did you find any NPCs in Cyrodiil that you could use this against?
    Padomaic Sprint is quite useless honestly. I find the effect so underwhelming that gameplay is not significantly different with or without it. Needs major reworking. I suggest changing it to "Dance of Death" or something and adding "all incoming attacks will 100% miss for 3/4/5/6 seconds after using the Blade of Woe" on top of the increased speed for 6/8/10/12 seconds after a successful kill. Kill, and you have a small grace period to run from the guards or fight back. This would also solve the problem of the killcam "freezing" you in place allowing enemies to get free hits in. Perfect.

Do you have any other general feedback?

General feedback for the other skills:

Scales of Pitiless Justice: Suggest changing to any bounty received is reduced by 30/40/50/60%. Right now value is too low and too situational to be worth 4 skill points.

Padomaic Sprint: See above, again not worth 4 skill points.

Shadowy Supplier: Not worth collecting the supplies, see above. Change to mail delivery please. Less legwork involved.

Shadow Rider: Another useless passive. If I'm mounted and aggroed, I'll simply outrun the mob. It's completely useless. I fail to see how mounting has ANYTHING to do with the DB. Replace the effect with something completely different please. I suggest changing it to something like "Grasp of Sithis" that increases the range at which you can use the Blade of Woe, allowing for "throwing knife" style stealth kills from afar.

Spectral Assassin: Increase the chance to 40% or something please. 15% is again too low to be useful.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • KallistaBlackheart
    KallistaBlackheart
    ✭✭✭
    not sure if this has been noticed yet, but there is a sound issue some are experiencing in 64bit after using the blade of woe.

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/262955/sound-issue

is a start to this discussion.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    It is not really much of a tree. I kinda wish you didn't make us waste skill points on these impotent patch specific mini - game faux skill lines. It's fine that they exist. If you don't really want to put out new skill lines that's fine. But can you like auto reward these passives by linking them to the story line so I don't have to pay for a skill reset after I experience the new content?
  • Garbrac
    Garbrac
    ✭✭✭
    Gottbeard wrote: »
    It is not really much of a tree. I kinda wish you didn't make us waste skill points on these impotent patch specific mini - game faux skill lines. It's fine that they exist. If you don't really want to put out new skill lines that's fine. But can you like auto reward these passives by linking them to the story line so I don't have to pay for a skill reset after I experience the new content?

It's not a waste of skill points because you aren't forced to get it. They are completely optional. They have no major significance that playing without them isn't that detrimental to your gameplay.

Making them auto reward would mean they can't add in any additional skyshards to the new zones. Which would be very disappointing if they release a new zone with no new skyshards. If they add more shards they need to add in a way to spend the additional shards.

Now, onto Gina's questions.

Best addition to the game thus far. The best part about this feature is it's ever expanding. You can always be adding in additional execution styles and make them a surprise for the players.

Great! Is there a way to guarantee a specific style of kill? Aside from the knife throw which is activated from a distance.

The only way I found to exit the camera was through hitting ESC which brought up the side menu, which forces me to hit ESC again. So yes I was able to exit it, but I found it easier to just let it run its course.

Did you turn the camera off at any point, or leave it on?
    No, why would I do that? That'd be silly.

Did you like the Assassin’s style item that you received?
    I assume you're asking about the Assassin Personality? I like the concept of personalities. This one, in particular, doesn't fit my play style but the future additions of these look very promising and I am excited to see them.

Did you enjoy the visuals for each skill?

Did you find that you were able to execute entire towns and potentially block other players’ progression?
    This question is incredibly hard to answer due to how low the population on the PTS is. When it goes live, however, there will be issues. If the NPCs for specifics missions is going to be a bit troublesome.

I found a shadowy supplier (and I have the Shadowy Supplier passsive) but all options he provides are red for me. What is this Shadowy Connections skill?

Do you have any other general feedback?
    I would love it if you added in a new active skill that only works on NPCs, a distraction skill. There are many times when doing the Heists, or Sacraments where being able to throw a rock to distract an NPC or to entice them to move would be very beneficial.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Blade of Woe (haven't unlocked anything else yet), but I encountered a problem with it in the Heist Daily for the Thieves Guild. Assassinating an enemy inside the Heist, while hidden and with no witnesses, causes the timer to be reduced and the "Your Crew has Been Spotted.." message to play. I was really looking forward to assassinating the npcs that are blocking my way instead of waiting for them to path away or assassinating npcs that seem to always stare directly at the chests...
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should make blade of woe take priority over vamp bite when you have the quest selected as active. It'd make it really easy to manage it that way.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • ycodryn
    ycodryn
    How do I get the skill line ? I got the dlc, went to region but I don`t have any q or skill line.
    Edited by ycodryn on May 4, 2016 2:59PM
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ycodryn wrote: »
    How do I get the skill line ? I got the dlc, went to region but I don`t have any q or skill line.

You'll need to start the DB quest I believe to get the skill line and of course advance your rank in it to unlock skills. Check in any Outlaw Refuge for a quest NPC or I believe you can start the quest through the collections menu.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spectral assassin at 15% IS too low. 15% means you can never expect it to proc so you will not behave any differently at all with it vs. without it. That makes it almost worthless.

• ycodryn
    ycodryn
    ycodryn wrote: »

You'll need to start the DB quest I believe to get the skill line and of course advance your rank in it to unlock skills. Check in any Outlaw Refuge for a quest NPC or I believe you can start the quest through the collections menu.

Thank you.
  • WhiteNoiseMaker
    WhiteNoiseMaker
    ✭✭✭✭
        It's interesting, I do like how it's a bounty-free kill but sometimes the slow animation leaves you wide open to NPC's that come around when your kill should have occurred fast enough to not linger in place.
        I like the 'ping' notification, but sometimes the distance of approach is very inconsistent. Also the tooltip about eligible targets omits that almost all guards and dialogued-townsfolk are immune to the Blade, meaning you often have to guess and approach an NPC to see if you can kill them.
        I didn't even know that was an option. There should be a cue that instructs you that you can?
        Again, I didn't know I could turn it off. >_<
        If you mean the personality, I do and I have offered specific feedback on that in another thread.
        By and large yes, but I don't think I have seen all of them yet. I'm still early on in the quests and skill line.
        I never even considered this as an option, and given that the DB DLC is PVE content, I would consider it griefing to have such indirect PVP tactics used in PVE content.
      I agree with one of the above suggestions that the Scales of Pitiless Justice be adjusted to any bounty. As it is right now those four skill points are better spent in the Thieves Guild line to cool off Heat/Bounty rapidly.

Edited by WhiteNoiseMaker on May 16, 2016 6:48PM
    • NocturnalGuideMe
      NocturnalGuideMe
      ✭✭✭
      As a Sneak Thief/ Assassin Character, Blade Of Woe is my best friend. it makes everything so much easier whether it be search and retrieve missions, solo dungeons, coming across a enemy encampment. It also makes taking on mobs of 3 way easier as a Nightblade (but im sure thats true of any class) and, with some luck, you can sneak up and assassinate the tougher of the 3 (or the healer) and then only have 2 baddies to concentrate on.

one thing i will say, it can be somewhat glitchy and the animations sometimes can be annoying.

also there should be a level-able skill line for this as a passive or something, expanding your target range. i.e. monsters, animals and daedra or other humanoid abominations.

Either way thanks guys and you should update both Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood or expansion pack for more storyline missions! These two have always been my favorite storylines to play since Oblivion. Mostly cuz of my platy style.
      Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
      Khajiiti Stamina Nightblade
      Master Thief, Dark Brotherhood Executioner, Former Dro m'Athra Shade