The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Low FPS - after hot fix

barrrt
barrrt
✭✭✭
I played for a few hours between yesterday evening and this morning without any issues. When in Abah's Landing this morning my FPS went down to 7-9 range and stayed there. Having read the forums and knowing there is a hot fix upcoming, I logged off and decided to try again after it downloaded later in the day.

So, now during lunch I was trying again. The hot fix downloaded, I logged in, but the fps is still extremely low. I went back to Crag, still low. I switched to minimum settings and was getting ~20fps. Switched back to ultra high, still getting 7-9.

To test, I quit the game and launcher, and logged into a different toon (one that also has joined TG already) - it's FPS was normal (30-45+) on ultra high.

So, I quit the game once again, renamed addon and saved varaibles folders, and restarted. Still low fps, so not an addon issue.

So, I quit the game once again, and renamed usersettings.txt, and restarted. Still low fps.

So, I tried the other toon... fps are perfectly fine.

It seems that this is per character issue unrelated to anything on the client side (i.e. addons or user settings).

I play on 2013 iMac 27", ,i7 3.5GHz, latest El Cap (not beta), 24GB ram, Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB.
EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    If you haven't done so already, please make sure to update your Mac OS to the current version (10.11). This could be affecting performance.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks, but El Cap is 10.11. Specifically I am running 10.11.3, which is the latest non beta available.
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed slight FPS improvements after the hotfix had been installed by the Launcher. Running on OS X 10.11.3, 2013 iMac 27", Core i7 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 780M. Ultra-High quality settings, 2560x1440. Before, I got a stable 28-30 FPS outdoors in very bustling cities, after, it went up to 31-34 and never below. Haven't seen any crashes or pink textures, even after extensively jumping around (went several times to Orsinium and Hew's Bane, rode around in a busy Wayrest).
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    FYI: Got a note this is caused by an issue with a shader for the Bow and can happen when bow is on toon's back. It's being worked on.

Phew. I need my NB healthy for TG activities :-)
  • rodney418
    rodney418
    I had the same issue with a character carrying a bow. Horrendous frame rates.

I have also found that with this new client I seem to get significantly improved frame rates by quitting the launcher after the game has started.
  • NSObject
    NSObject
    ✭✭✭
    The original Thieves Guild patch was beautiful (minus the auto-loot issue). My frame rate jumped to a steady 50 - 60 in the wilderness (!) and the mid to high 30s in populated areas like Mournhold. That is nearly twice the frame rate I was getting just the day before. I could even ride (sprinting on my horse!) around Mournhold without a single loading screen.

Then the hot fix came. Now everything is worse than before the original TG patch. Mournhold is practically a slideshow all the time now, instead of just occasionally. It's disappointing when you get the best performance you've ever seen in the game taken away before you get a chance to really enjoy it.

MacBookPro10,1
    OS X 10.11.3
    Settings: Custom (AA, high textures, high subsampling, no shadows or reflections, most sliders to the left), unchanged between patches
  • picopowerr
    barrrt wrote: »
    FYI: Got a note this is caused by an issue with a shader for the Bow and can happen when bow is on toon's back. It's being worked on.

Phew. I need my NB healthy for TG activities :-)

It definitely is the bow. I went on my NB and fps was around 7. Was like a flip book. Changed the bow for daggers and a solid 60 fps.

Still, it doesn't explain all the crashing, that I also get on characters that don't even have a bow in their inventory.
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    Other than the bow issue, the game has been very stable for me, with some incredible fps (higher now on ultra-high, sans ambient occlusion, than under-mid before TG patch, with 100 view distance in both cases). So far only one crash, in PVP, when trying to cast harness magicka (crashed mid animation) while running back to Chal after retaking the mine :-) This is in total time since TG patch of about 45 min PVP, and perhaps 5-6 hours in PVE areas (mostly Wrothgar and some Hew's Bane).