The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How i lost my character

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zinaroth wrote: »
    Like any game company, they are in full control of the game, which means they can do anything within the game, including restoring characters or creating a new and giving items to players.

I think the problem lies in Zenimax (the publicer) hiring people without the competence to do stuff like that, because it is cheaper. So the people you get in contact with are not allowed to, or capable of, performing such action, and they have been told that they should tell the customers it's too bad, because that is the cheaper way of dealing with such an issue.

So in short; Zenimax can't be bothered providing proper customer service that is standard in any other MMO nowadays, because it costs more.

I'm sorry sir, but you're mentality is messed up. I understand that it is frustrating to loose your characters, I would feel just as frustrated if the same thing happened to me as OP, but as someone else mentioned (even the OP admitted to it), this is NOT ZoS's undoing, and the OP has violated the ToS, which was not to share his/her account. Sometimes customers also have to realize that they have to follow rules, I know most of us don't read the ToS, but you have to understand that companies have rules and regulations they follow. I know it's a chore to be re-making characters or re-learning motifs, etc, but honestly, it's your fault. Move on-- either to a new game or re-make your character.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck ever trying to get CS to help with anything. Their only interest is getting you to go away and stop bothering them.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Swainyboy
    Swainyboy
    ✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »
    Zinaroth wrote: »
    Like any game company, they are in full control of the game, which means they can do anything within the game, including restoring characters or creating a new and giving items to players.

I think the problem lies in Zenimax (the publicer) hiring people without the competence to do stuff like that, because it is cheaper. So the people you get in contact with are not allowed to, or capable of, performing such action, and they have been told that they should tell the customers it's too bad, because that is the cheaper way of dealing with such an issue.

So in short; Zenimax can't be bothered providing proper customer service that is standard in any other MMO nowadays, because it costs more.

I'm sorry sir, but you're mentality is messed up. I understand that it is frustrating to loose your characters, I would feel just as frustrated if the same thing happened to me as OP, but as someone else mentioned (even the OP admitted to it), this is NOT ZoS's undoing, and the OP has violated the ToS, which was not to share his/her account. Sometimes customers also have to realize that they have to follow rules, I know most of us don't read the ToS, but you have to understand that companies have rules and regulations they follow. I know it's a chore to be re-making characters or re-learning motifs, etc, but honestly, it's your fault. Move on-- either to a new game or re-make your character.

The point for my post isn't for me to cry about losing my character or even debate who is breaching which terms etc. The point is, support have not given me any reason for my character not being restored. They are just palming me off with "Lore Excuses". I wouldn't mind if they tried a technical approach, "We only maintain character backups for a maximum of X weeks" but no. What i got was "Your character has been lost to Oblivion", what kind of answer is that?

I am a simple customer trying to resolve an issue, and getting nowhere... Great support.
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once accidentally deleted a full vet character (yes, it can happen despite the DELETE confirmation... -.- ), but ZOS was able to restore it after I contacted them (by phone).
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Decayed_Inside
    Decayed_Inside
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always start someone you're letting play a new account. Create it on your console and it does have ps plus, access to all your games and things like that. What it doesn't have is the ability to delete your character. I know this doesn't help now but in the future create an entire new psn account for your guests. That way you don't violate the TOS and you don't lose a character.
    Edited by Decayed_Inside on January 20, 2016 6:32PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Apologies for the headache, @Swainyboy. Sending you a PM to see if we can work something out.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for the headache, @Swainyboy. Sending you a PM to see if we can work something out.
    We love you Gina :heart: If only the entirety of Customer Support engaged with the player base like those few of you on the Community Team...
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • sirrmattus
    sirrmattus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno what about my molag kena shoulder i accidentally deconned?
    Ebonheart Pact - North American Server
    - THE MORALES -
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirrmattus wrote: »

PM me and maybe we can work something out... a small gold fee will be expected of course

:)

Edit: was an attempt to be funny... apparently fail lol
    Edited by Waffennacht on January 20, 2016 8:18PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their client is behind the times.

Heck, I haven't played WoW since cata but I remember them having character restores and item restores and if the game server crashes before you loot, the items will be in the mail next time you log in.

Obviously it took them time to implement this tech but ESO launched way after all this...so what's their excuse?
  • Praeficere
    Praeficere
    ✭✭✭✭
    The classic "my brother did X Y Z on my account without my permission!"
    Though the shadow has moved not,
    A thousand miles I’ve passed –
    Ageless as the mountains but forgetting not the past.

Are you Resolute?
    PC EU Progression Guild
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sirrmattus wrote: »

PM me and maybe we can work something out... a small gold fee will be expected of course

:)

Edit: was an attempt to be funny... apparently fail lol

I thought it was funny...
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    We love you Gina :heart: If only the entirety of Customer Support engaged with the player base like those few of you on the Community Team...

This^^^

As always, thank you so much @ZOS_GinaBruno for everything that you do. It is GREATLY appreciated!!!!
    NA Server - Kildair
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can assure you they CAN restore your character. Before they introduced the collection system I had accidentally deleted my high hrothgar ice wraith pet which was a loyalty reward before the b2p conversion. I couldn't remember which character had it when I deleted them... I'm one of those that likes making tons of alts and deleting them after a while. They wound up restoring several of my previously deleted characters to see if the wraith was on one of them. It wasn't. They ended up issuing me a new wraith as a one time thing and all was well.

Point of the story: they can restore characters, you just have to be lucky and get a customer service rep who actually wants to help.
    Edited by ProfessorKittyhawk on January 21, 2016 2:43AM
  • wolfydog
    wolfydog
    ✭✭✭
    To bad you cant get past the jabronie first line of customer service. Its strange they wouldn't want to help a paying customer and someone who might buy stuff from the crown store again.

And its not just ESO, but probably any MMO if I had a character of a couple of years deleted through hackers or just a crazy mistake I would probably quit too if they could not or would not restore.
  • Ampnode
    Ampnode
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be happy they didnt ban you for "account sharing"

Hey, if Sypher can share accounts on stream in front of hundreds of people, anyone can, right?
    PC NA - CP640+

Characters:
    Amp - Magicka Nightblade
    Amp - Magicka Sorcerer
    Amp - Magicka Templar
    Amp - Stamina Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Templar
    Amp - Magicka Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Sorcerer
    Amp - Stamina Nightblade
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    I feel yah, some of my tickets have been answered with what seemed to be a automated response that had nothing to do with the reason I opened the ticket.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
    Dunmer Nightblade- Lvl 19 (WIP)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's obvious that @ZOS_GinaBruno cares about the game and the community (even in cases when people are being *** about stuff that's beyond her control). It's equally obvious that CS only cares about getting tickets closed and getting people to stop bothering them. They could learn something from Gina.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Florial
    Florial
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to second the support of @ZOS_GinaBruno . Good to see someone from the team weighing in and helping.

Swainy- I can emphasize. Many years ago whilst having an argument with my spouse of many years and a few too glasses of merlot, I deleted all my characters from EQ2. Yes, all of them. High level with oodles of gold. The next day, I begged the pleaded with SOE and they did restore them after a week of sorting through data base issues. The customer rep worked with me and I was greatly appreciative. I found them most helpful a bit later on when my clumsy fingers (non merlot influenced) mailed a ton of rare items to the wrong player. They also helped me out.

I think most companies do want to do the right thing and will help you if you are persistent enough. Glad to hear your issue is getting resolved.

My experience with ESO customer support has been fairly good. It took me two attempts to get a reply but once I got someone, they did help. Wish I had been more persistent at launch when I lost bank space but oh well. Bad on me for not following through.

• Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ampnode wrote: »
    Be happy they didnt ban you for "account sharing"

Hey, if Sypher can share accounts on stream in front of hundreds of people, anyone can, right?

damn, put him on blast.
    V16 Templar - Shelgon - DC
    V16 Dragonknight - The Secutor - DC
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swainyboy wrote: »
    If family members/visitors can access your characters on console, it's because they can access your console account. They can only access your account if you haven't put any sign-in security on it. Both the PS4 and XB1 have pass-key sign-in features.
    LOL. Don't you know that consoles are made for convenience and entertainment?
    Do you really know anybody using sign-ins for their living-room consoles, TVs or other devices?

People know how to backup their console savegames on USB or PSN.
    However, for the backup of ESO characters ONLY ZOS is responsible.
    Therefore ZOS must be able to restore delected characters.
    You were commenting on console security. I responded on console security. Yes ZOS can restore characters, but since you have already granted your console account access to your ESO Account, by using your ESO password during setup, it's down to you to keep your console account secure.

PC logins are password-protected because they are tied into the ESO Account system on ZOS' website, which is password-protected. Console logins are tied to your PSN ID/XBL GT, as you already linked your ESO Account to your PSN/XBL during setup (at which time, you were prompted for your password).

Console security is great and all, but where is the fun in having a console if i cant play it with family/friends? it was a mistake made by a family member. Console security could not help me in this situation, character restoring features however...

I feel for you but at the end of the day. You should of supervised your brother while playing a game that is rated M. You can try your damnedest to get that character back. But dont hold your breath. The responsibility fell in your lap on this one.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you can get your character back OP, losing all of that is no fun at all.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be more sympathetic if the game weren't legally a leased service.
    But as you have no actual ownership over any content, every case is up to their discretion. Precedents need not apply.

Best rule is to treat the game like any other rental. Like a tuxedo. Don't let other people wear it and don't *** yourself in it. Yeah, they might not say anything to your face, but you'll always be known to them as *** Tux Guy.
    signing off
  • Wump
    Wump
    ✭✭✭

While I honestly appreciate your helpful attitude, @ZOS_GinaBruno , this makes me on the other hand a little sad: My personal request to restore a deleted character only led to a approx. 10 day lasting mail conversation full of auto-answers and the final result: "We wont help you".

Dont get me wrong: In my view you are doing a great job here in the Forums, Gina, and i'm really happy to see that some of the customers can be helped. But, as I said: I wish, my beloved little Orc could habe been restored as well - instead I got a load of mails which without exception were soulless like said little Orc in his first days in Tamriel.

Nonetheless: A fine day to everyone!
    Edited by Wump on January 21, 2016 8:14AM
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "UrQuan wrote: »
    It's obvious that @ZOS_GinaBruno cares about the game and the community (even in cases when people are being *** about stuff that's beyond her control). It's equally obvious that CS only cares about getting tickets closed and getting people to stop bothering them. They could learn something from Gina.

*dons asbestos suit*

As someone who works in a job not a million miles away from a CS type role, I just want to stick up for them a little here. They likely have pretty clear rules about what they are and are not allowed to do, and are probably audited to make sure they are following said rules and not doing anything which could be construed as giving unfair help to particular players.

Gina is a PR person, in quite a senior role compared to your average helpdesk jockey, and is likely not so constrained. Perhaps the rules they follow need tweaking, but let's not start assuming that all CS folks are evil and uncaring just because they may not have the latitude to do something we want.
  • Swainyboy
    Swainyboy
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think id cause the stir I did haha, managed to get in touch with support, and I don't think ill be getting my character back. Suppose i'm just going to have to take this experience as learning one, cheers for all the support guys!

@ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for the help / Getting in touch with me about the issue!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "UrQuan wrote: »

*dons asbestos suit*

As someone who works in a job not a million miles away from a CS type role, I just want to stick up for them a little here. They likely have pretty clear rules about what they are and are not allowed to do, and are probably audited to make sure they are following said rules and not doing anything which could be construed as giving unfair help to particular players.

Gina is a PR person, in quite a senior role compared to your average helpdesk jockey, and is likely not so constrained. Perhaps the rules they follow need tweaking, but let's not start assuming that all CS folks are evil and uncaring just because they may not have the latitude to do something we want.
    I've managed a CS type department before, and I work in a company that takes the CS experience very very seriously. That's what I'm basing my statements on. It's clear that their only performance metrics are based on closing tickets. To be 100% clear, I'm not placing the blame on the individual CS reps: they're working towards what their management wants, within whatever restrictions are placed on them, and with whatever (clearly inadequate) tools and coaching they are given. I'm placing the blame entirely on management that doesn't care about providing a good CS experience, and only cares about being able to show good numbers for "resolving" tickets.

So when I talk about CS not caring, I'm talking about the department and the culture, not about the individual front-line reps.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swainyboy wrote: »
    Didn't think id cause the stir I did haha, managed to get in touch with support, and I don't think ill be getting my character back. Suppose i'm just going to have to take this experience as learning one, cheers for all the support guys!

@ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for the help / Getting in touch with me about the issue!

That's very disappointing. @ZOS really needs to work on their Customer Service. People are paying for a service here with expectations that clearly aren't being met. Customer Service needs to be consistent with the way they help people. If they restore one persons deleted character then EVERY customer deserves that same opportunity for a character Restore. Not everyone is going to take them up on it, only those who have things like this happen.

@ZOS is also missing out on a potential revenue sources. One of the nice things about WoW was the ability to buy diffrerent things, like server transfers and what not.

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THEY COULDN'T CHARGE PEOPLE FOR CHARACTER RESTORES....
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Zouni
    Zouni
    ✭✭✭
    Regret the rage quit?
    Nyxtes - NB
    Nyxta - Sorc
    Mastrofonoss - DK
    Gr Blue - Temp
  • Taryf
    Taryf
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    You dont want to make more headaches?
    Tell a word to someone about how easy is to delete character in ESO (at least console version).

HOLD few buttons to delete char? If someone is unlucky i can be done by throwing controller on pillow while little break ;)

Solutions from other games:
    1. To delete char WRITE IT NAME and confirm.
    2. To delete char WRITE IT NAME and confirm... and wait 24/48h. Before clock ticks, You can change Your mind.

Sorry for my english, but i hope You will understand the point.
    PS4
    EU
    Imperial Dragonknight Stamina Tank
    Ebonheart Pact

M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk - M'aiq the Liar