Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Enlightenment - How It Works

• Cervanteseric85ub17_ESO
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    Yeah this is nice and all but they still need to address the fact that there is no way to earn XP in the first place if you have completed all your quests. I have yet to run out of enlightenment because I have nothing to do that eats up enough XP.

G to the R to the I to the N to the D....or just pvp if that's not your cup of tea.
  • Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As I heard from one wise man on QuakeCon last year, he said, you will earn 1 CP per hour of gameplay!
    This is just impossible today no way, maybe if you are lucky and you are enlightened that whole hour but what is with next hour? I thought you will keep your promise and make it possible to earn each hour with gameplay 1 CP, doesn't matter if someone grinds mobs, dungeons, quests, PvP etc.

1 hour WHILE Enlightened. 4 hours per point without.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully I'm answering this correctly for you...

Day 1 enlightenment xp, day 2 enlightenment xp, day 3... etc.. all get lumped into your enlightenment pool. This pool can only hold 1.2 million enlightenment xp... If you gain extra enlightenment xp BEYOND 1.2 million, it is nullified and you essentially wasted it, because you will hold at 1.2 mil.

Thanks, Hobo, for the clarification. So the enlightenment xp keeps accruing for 12 days to 1.2 million provided you don't surpass it on any of those 12 days. Let's say on Day 4 it's added up to 400,000, and you've played enough to gain 120,000 xp over the course of those 4 days. You've gained 1 cp, but you still have 280,000 xp remaining in this enlightened state. On the evening of this 4th day, you drink a tank of coffee and start grinding like there's no tomorrow. You earn 300,000 xp before the day is through, so I assume you gain 3 more cps from enlightened progress, but you've stopped the accrual and the remaining 20,000 becomes normal progression unless it's fallen into the next 24 hour cycle.

LOL, I know I'm beating this thing to death, but it's become sort of an interesting puzzle. Thanks for your patience. I think I get it now.
  • ChuckyPayne
    ChuckyPayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Greats. 12 days, awesome. Its cool, omg. I love it. Ty, ty, ty.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    Yeah this is nice and all but they still need to address the fact that there is no way to earn XP in the first place if you have completed all your quests. I have yet to run out of enlightenment because I have nothing to do that eats up enough XP.

G to the R to the I to the N to the D....or just pvp if that's not your cup of tea.

Except that grinding has been continually nerfed into the ground as if that is not the "intended" way to play. However, they have given no other option. I hate grinding but I would do it if it wasn't so bad now. It's bad enough grinding with good results but I'm certainly not going to do it with the painfully slow progress that it is now. PvP is also a terrible source of CP and I'm not much of a PvP'er anyway so again..not much of an option there, either.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically to test if i still have the perma- enlightment i've to grind 12 champion points in 1 day?
    Signature

• ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 days is good news. But 1 CP per day is still unacceptably slow. You need to be able to get 4 CP per day playing 1-2 hours.

Otherwise there is no progression in this progression system.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Sykotical wrote: »
    So, does Enlightenment currently bring it to 100,000XP per CP or is this to be in the next patch? I'm asking because I've just earned 200,000XP but I haven't received any CP and the counter still shows that I need 400,000XP.

W7kF1il.png

The counter will always show you need 400,000k XP. But if a quest gives you, say 11k XP on completion, the counter will actually go up by 44k XP.

I have seen this pretty consistently on my V1. Every 100k XP she gains towards her V2 equates a Champion Point (because I've not played enough to run out of enlightenment yet).
    @AlnilamE , @Sykotical , 100k now.

One other thing to add to this, most addons will show the Enlightened XP received, so don't think you're not getting your multiplier. FTC, for instance reflects the CP XP. This should help lessen confusion if you have a non VR14 character and wonder why it (suddenly) seems your VR progression is not going up the same way.
    HungryHobo wrote: »
    Caroloces wrote: »
    Still a little bit confused:
    If you end up not using up all your Enlightenment while you play, it will continue to accrue for a maximum of 12 days. Once you hit the limit, you will not gain any additional Enlightenment until you begin to use it by gaining XP.

Day One (the first 24 hours): You log in and play for awhile but you don't gain enough for a CP even at the accelerated rate of enlightenment.

Day Two (the 2nd 24 hours): You log in and play (and here's where I'm confused!). The clock has reset itself to provide enlightenment again, but are you gaining xp for the accrued enlightenment from Day One, or are you gaining xp for the enlightenment for Day Two, since the clock was reset?

From my understanding, enlightenment is just a state that is dependent on the player actually doing things in the game to gain xp. What's confusing about the quote above is that there is the implication (through the word "accrue") that the enlightenment continues to add up over the course of time (like interest on an investment). So if you don't play for 5 days, have you accrued 5 days of enlightenment that will give you 5 cps at an accelerated rate? My gut tells me that that is not the case. I think the real situation is that the enlightenment is sustained over 12 days as you gain xp towards the goal of 100,000 xp, and then it is reset in the next tick of the 24 hour cycle (after you reach the goal). If you don't reach the goal of 100,000 xp at the end of the 12 day period (the limit), then, whatever you have achieved remains for the standard 400,000 xp progression.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can you tell me if I've gotten this correct?

Hopefully I'm answering this correctly for you...

Day 1 enlightenment xp, day 2 enlightenment xp, day 3... etc.. all get lumped into your enlightenment pool. This pool can only hold 1.2 million enlightenment xp... If you gain extra enlightenment xp BEYOND 1.2 million, it is nullified and you essentially wasted it, because you will hold at 1.2 mil.

Now, this is where I'm going to confuse you, but if you have multiple veteran rank characters who you play regularly.. it is theoretically possible to use an enlightenment pool of 799k, across 8 Vet Rank characters, and NOT get 1 CP.... This is because each character's progression towards a CP is different. If you gain 97% of a CP on Char #1, and you log onto Char #2, he will have 0% of a CP gained... You can get him to 99% of a CP point, then play Char #3, who would be at 0% too...
    @Caroloces think of it as a bucket:
    • It holds 12 gallons (or 12 liters for the SI types).
    • Every 24 hours ZoS adds one gallon of water to it.
    • You then proceed to take water out.
    • Once all the water is gone, no more water (from the bucket) until the clock rolls over again.
    • Don't use the full gallon on a given day, the remaining water persists.
    • Next day, you have whatever was left over + the gallon that is added.
    • Should you not get water from it for 12 days, anything added overflows, so you only ever have a max of 12 gallons.
    • Empty your bucket, you can still accrue water (CP/XP's) but at the normal rate - you're filling a cup now instead of a bucket...
    @HungryHobo , while your scenario is true, it also averages out, as at some point, you will also log into your 8 characters with your fresh day's supply of water CP Enlightenment and after 1250* Enlightened XP on each (Kill one enemy), you will also have earned 8 CP's in one day using less than one day's enlightenment pool.

While it's a little screwy at first, the best advice I can give is not to get hung up on the conversion process. Just think of it in terms of 1 CP's worth per day. It will always announce when you've earned more (enlightenment) and when you've used it all up.

P.S. The 12 day pool is a nice touch - makes it more reasonable to play alts without losing benefit or falling too far behind.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on March 19, 2015 11:07AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Caroloces think of it as a bucket:

It holds 12 gallons (or 12 liters for the SI types).
    Every 24 hours ZoS adds one gallon of water to it.
    You then proceed to take water out.
    Once all the water is gone, no more water (from the bucket) until the clock rolls over again.
    Don't use the full gallon on a given day, the remaining water persists.
    Next day, you have whatever was left over + the gallon that is added.
    Should you not get water from it for 12 days, anything added overflows, so you only ever have a max of 12 gallons.
    Empty your bucket, you can still accrue water (CP/XP's) but at the normal rate - you're filling a cup now instead of a bucket...

Beautifully put. Thanks, Merlin! I also thought your further explanation on Hobo's points on multiple characters was very helpful.
    Now that I have a full grasp of how the system works, I'm finding myself liking it a lot. I understand the concern that maxed out players have about the pace of grinding, but I think this is the best system for the game's longevity. The problem for VR14 players is not the Champion System, it is the absence of new, meaningful content. Being a slow leveler (still have 3 low vet chars doing Cadwell's Silver) and primarily a weekend warrior, I find this type of progression seems just about right. We all have to remember there's going to be a ton of new players coming into the game that still have to work through levels 1-50 before they can even enter the Champion System!
  • GT_Schorsch
    GT_Schorsch
    ✭✭
    There was a bug where logging in an already converted char caused to reset all accured enlightenment (even on all chars). (Might have been a display error, though.) Is this fixed?
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    I only read the OP, but please please please please please put in UI feedback, such as a timer (so we know when to log in, get some xp, and restart the timer, as well as letting us know how much more "enlightenment time" is on an account while we play. I'm sure others have asked for this, but think of it like "riding skills" (formerly "logging in every 20 hours to feed our horses).

It's not fun to have to be an accountant and scheduling secretary to use in-game mechanics semi-efficiently. Nor can I think of why obfuscating this information would be necessary.

No, it doesn't work like that. As the opening post said, once it starts it refreshes every 24 hours. You've misunderstood, you don't need to schedule anything. Once it's started, it's started. It won't stop again till/if you reach the maximum accrument.

Edited by Rev Rielle on March 19, 2015 1:04PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    runagate wrote: »
    I only read the OP, but please please please please please put in UI feedback, such as a timer (so we know when to log in, get some xp, and restart the timer, as well as letting us know how much more "enlightenment time" is on an account while we play. I'm sure others have asked for this, but think of it like "riding skills" (formerly "logging in every 20 hours to feed our horses).

It's not fun to have to be an accountant and scheduling secretary to use in-game mechanics semi-efficiently. Nor can I think of why obfuscating this information would be necessary.

No, it doesn't work like that. As the opening post said, once it starts it refreshes every 24 hours. You've misunderstood, you don't need to schedule anything. Once it's started, it's started. It won't stop again till/if you reach the maximum accrument.
    Yes, thank goodness they didn't base it on horses and hirelings!

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every 24 hours, you receive enough Enlightenment to earn one Champion Point at the rate of 100,000XP per Point; after your Enlightenment is used up, you will return to requiring 400,000XP to earn a Champion Point. The 24 hour timer starts when you log in with your first Veteran character or unlock the Champion System, whichever is first, and resets every 24 hours after it first starts.

Thanks so much for this awesome clarification!

Just to confirm, as long as we unlocked the Champion system back when 1.6.5 patch went live, the 24 hour timer keeps going and accruing enlightenment at the same rate, even if we haven't logged on to the game for a few days?

What I noticed initially after the patch was that my enlightenment seemed to be starting almost exactly 24 hours after the previous day's enlightenment ended. (First day started when I logged on at 10:30pm PST, ended 3AM, second day started at 3AM, etc.)
  • GT_Schorsch
    GT_Schorsch
    ✭✭
    Just to confirm, as long as we unlocked the Champion system back when 1.6.5 patch went live, the 24 hour timer keeps going and accruing enlightenment at the same rate, even if we haven't logged on to the game for a few days?

I do not know if you want a confirmation from ZOS, but if you are satisfied with one from another player then: Yes, correct, but what you stated is only true for the first 12 days. After 12 days of not logging in (or at least not collecting XP) you do not get more enlightenment. Or in other words: You get enligtenment worth 12 days.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if you want a confirmation from ZOS, but if you are satisfied with one from another player then: Yes, correct, but what you stated is only true for the first 12 days. After 12 days of not logging in (or at least not collecting XP) you do not get more enlightenment. Or in other words: You get enligtenment worth 12 days.

I think that the accumulation of enlightenment xp is capped at the end of the 12 day period at 1.2 million xp (as other posters have noted), and then it is reset to begin again on the next tick of the 24 hour cycle. So someone who is away from the game for 15 days would come into the game being enlightened with 300,000 enlightenment xp accumulated.
    Edited by Caroloces on March 19, 2015 4:18PM
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm....that isn't what the announcement says. Why wouldn't the Enlightenment bucket just stay full but not accumulate more?

@ZOS_GinaBruno does the cap reset as @Caroloces describes? That really does not make sense if it does?
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »

I think that the accumulation of enlightenment xp is capped at the end of the 12 day period at 1.2 million xp (as other posters have noted), and then it is reset to begin again on the next tick of the 24 hour cycle. So someone who is away from the game for 15 days would come into the game being enlightened with 300,000 enlightenment xp accumulated.

That's now how I understand it. I don't think you will lose any of the accumulated 1.2 XP in enlightenment until it is used. You just stop accruing it at 100k XP a day.
    Edited by firewatch on March 19, 2015 5:19PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    Ummm....that isn't what the announcement says. Why wouldn't the Enlightenment bucket just stay full but not accumulate more?

@ZOS_GinaBruno does the cap reset as @Caroloces describes? That really does not make sense if it does?

You're correct - at the end of 12 days, you just won't accrue any additional Enlightenment and it'll stay at the limit until you start gaining XP again.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're correct - at the end of 12 days, you just won't accrue any additional Enlightenment and it'll stay at the limit until you start gaining XP again.

Ahhh, Right. That makes sense. Sorry for the misinterpretation, and thanks, @ZOS_GinaBruno for the clarification. So a player could be away for a year's time, and when the player came back, they would have 1.2 million enlightenment xp to use.
  • Darklord_Tiberius
    Darklord_Tiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I am happy for the 12-day Enlightenment reserve. I could not get Enlightened for anything when Update 6 came out. I think it had to do with my logging into alts and mules and all that while playing the Inventory Management Minigame. That must have been repeatedly resetting my Enlightenment timer. The patch came out on a Tuesday and I think it took me until Saturday to get Enlightenment! The irony is that now I can get Enlightened every day but I have trouble getting through my Enlightenment! Dungeons and Trials and quests just do not give enough XP/hour to get through your Enlightenment unless you are speed-running or playing many hours per day. It is certainly not one CP per hour when Enlightened, as was hinted at before Update 6 dropped. So if I can actually play the game for 11 days and just reserve one day of every 12 to go through that soul-crushing grinding-through-my-Enlightenment drill, that would be great.

But I'd still prefer normal game activities give better XP as opposed to spacing out the grind sessions!

umm.. I get my Champion Point in about 2 hours running 2 dungeons and some PvP. Not hard to do really and doesnt require this "speed" running you mention.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just play the game and dont worry about stuff like CP and XP.
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... 12 days is actually 1.2million xp now (100k, 1 CP per day).. as before, 3 days would net you 1.2 million enlightenment(400k, or 4 CP of enlightenment per day).

Essentially you gain it 4x slower per day, but you can stack 4x more days total.

Works out better for casuals this way.

Most casuals have full time jobs, myself included, so this is a big benefit. I would say I am more than a casual players, but I work 45+ hours a week and many days I do not have time to gain XP. This gives me a chance to keep on on CP gains, so I think ZoS did a great job catering to everyone.
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • darkrozes_rob16_ESO
    Hi.
    Ok, till today i didn't care much because i was playing hardcorely, but people must work too. Rip - IRL means Rip In game too :dizzy:
    So, i work my 4$$ the entire day, to login at 9 pm happy about enlighten, get an entire CP , and find out that Enlight wears off after i get that 400k exp ? What is this ?
    1 cp per day isn't worth my time, grinding in a place where i have to run alot to catch mobs that give trash exp... seriously ?
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only have one day's worth of enlightenment accumulate, that is only one CP for 100k exp. It is working as intended. We (the players) are hoping that ZOS reverse all those experience nerfs that they made in 1.6 and later.
  • Dru1076
    Dru1076
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the enlightenment system is the best idea from ZOS yet. It allows people like myself who have to work most of the day the opportunity to still level at a noticeable pace.

Thank you for proving you guys can deliver the goods when you put your minds to it. Enlightenment is a brilliant idea.
    Edited by Dru1076 on March 23, 2015 11:25AM
    Ask not what your sweetroll can do for you....
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »

Imho it should accumulate more than 12 days, especially with the new BtP model.
    A player should be encouraged to return, otherwise he/she would consider other games, especially when feeling the gap in PvP or when not accepted in trials/dungeons because of champion points.

Exp potions can help to reduce the gap but enlightenment should accumulate more days than just 12, at least one month.
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, this is interesting, I did not check out this thread before since I got stuck in loading screens for 2 weeks (!), but now since I can play again after I changed that messed up usersettings file, I had a reason to read this thread now.

So, all my Veteran characters are enlightened when I login, but I thought the 400.000 XP were normal. I didn't know it's supposed to be 100.000. It always says 400.000 on my end, not more, not less. And I only gain 1 CP when this XP bar is full.
    So actually I should have gained 4x more CP then?
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• HungryHobo
    HungryHobo
    ✭✭✭
    Raygee wrote: »
    Huh, this is interesting, I did not check out this thread before since I got stuck in loading screens for 2 weeks (!), but now since I can play again after I changed that messed up usersettings file, I had a reason to read this thread now.

So, all my Veteran characters are enlightened when I login, but I thought the 400.000 XP were normal. I didn't know it's supposed to be 100.000. It always says 400.000 on my end, not more, not less. And I only gain 1 CP when this XP bar is full.

So it is always going to take 400,000xp to get a CP. With an enlightenment bonus, for every 1 normal xp you gain, it is multiplied by 4 then applied to your CP progress. So if your bar towards the next CP is empty, it will say you need 400,000xp. If you have enlightenment, you actually only need to earn 100,000xp, because the bonus multiplies it by 4x, which gives you 400,000xp, thus a CP.

Once you use all your enlightenment, you will see what I mean... the rate of CP gain without enlightenment feels significantly slower (because it is 4x slower :))
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raygee wrote: »

So it is always going to take 400,000xp to get a CP. With an enlightenment bonus, for every 1 normal xp you gain, it is multiplied by 4 then applied to your CP progress. So if your bar towards the next CP is empty, it will say you need 400,000xp. If you have enlightenment, you actually only need to earn 100,000xp, because the bonus multiplies it by 4x, which gives you 400,000xp, thus a CP.

Once you use all your enlightenment, you will see what I mean... the rate of CP gain without enlightenment feels significantly slower (because it is 4x slower :))

It seems it was no bug on my end after all, thank you for your reply :)
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno this 12 day thing is account wide or per character?