The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Divorce -again.

jeanette
jeanette
✭✭✭
I know there has been complaints about the marriage system, and I want to bring that subject up again.

First of all I just want to say to all of you that find the rings of mara unnecessary that not all of us use them for the xp bonus, but for the role playing. Getting married is a big part of life and many like to bring that to the game aswell.

Now, to the issue. Some married a buddy that stopped playing, some married on the wrong character, and some want to marry several characters. For me it is acceptable that you only get one pledge of mara and only marry one character, but it is not acceptable to be stuck with that choice. We need a divorce system!

A friend of mine married her boyfriend in Tamriel, who later broke up with her in real life, and ofcourse, they stopped playing together. But their characters are still married, which will be a problem later when one of them finds a new partner. When it comes to me, I like role playing. I screwed up my first character and now I cant re-marry on my new one.

I don't care if I have to pay a fee, or do some quest, or whatever. I just want to have a choice. And, preferably, not start over and buy the game again.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree. My wife and I have been playing together since beta. When we started our first characters, naturally we married them. Only to find out that we didn't like our characters and so we started new ones. Four or Five characters latter, we finally had a couple that we made into our mains. We can not marry them though. We don't care about the xp boost, we just want our main characters to be married. They even have the same last name in game. Our forum names are of these characters also. We should be able to use the rings on any character. Keep the xp...we don't care about that.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divorce is a sin in Tamriel, but if you petition the Temple of the Eight, they'll consider your application.
    ----
    Murray?
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. the whole rings of mara thing was just poorly executed/implemented as a whole.
  • jeanette
    jeanette
    ✭✭✭
    Before the game launched, they p
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    When we started our first characters, naturally we married them. Only to find out that we didn't like our characters and so we started new ones. Four or Five characters latter, we finally had a couple that we made into our mains.

Exactly. The worst part is that zenimax, before game launch, promoted the fact that you will have sooo much diversity and choices for your character and not be bound by those choices later (such as class, skills, etc). But, we are. And therefore we need divorce.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing compelling about the marriage system to make a divorce system pertinent.

Do not personally expect to get a new set of Treasure Maps for every zone on each new character either.

Would prefer if the rings were account-based rather than character-based so that alts could be married as well, but do not see divorce as all that necessary.
    Would probably just trash or NPC the ring and forget about the entire system personally.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't care about XP and you simply want to roleplay, there's no problem. Just you know, roleplay. Invite your friends, stand before the shrine of Mara, /emote for a while et voila. It will be fun and immersive, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? Rings are nice, but you can work around gameplay limitations.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... I'm not going to for a moment preach about religious or moral values. That would prove fruitless.

However, I'm going to pull the one sentence from the OP that seems to be relevant....

"For me it is acceptable that you only get one pledge of mara and only marry one character, but it is not acceptable to be stuck with that choice."

So by your own statement, you're basically saying.. I get to marry or make a pledge to whomever I want... but oathes and pledges don't mean squat when it comes to what benefits me personally.

Brilliant...

You're the example the rest of us should strive to emulate.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want the ability for divorce also.
    and divorce should come with allowing me the ring back that i purchased for her so i can have the chance to marry again, if i so chose to do so.
  • jeanette
    jeanette
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... I'm not going to for a moment preach about religious or moral values. That would prove fruitless.

However, I'm going to pull the one sentence from the OP that seems to be relevant....

"For me it is acceptable that you only get one pledge of mara and only marry one character, but it is not acceptable to be stuck with that choice."

So by your own statement, you're basically saying.. I get to marry or make a pledge to whomever I want... but oathes and pledges don't mean squat when it comes to what benefits me personally.

Brilliant...

Wow. Christian values seem to follow me everywhere. I do not believe in oathes and pledges in a religious way and I will not let a game force that upon me.

Why I do accept to only get one pledge and only marry one character is because the rings give a big advantage to leveling fast that you only get by paying for it; and it would simply seem unfair to get too much just because I paid more than others, therefore I am satisfied with only marrying my main character. However, I still want the choice to make a new main and marry that one.

That is ofcourse just according to me, and anyone who feels that they want to marry all their characters are ofcourse allowed to disagree with me.
  • Subtomik
    Subtomik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeanette wrote: »
    Wow. Christian values seem to follow me everywhere. I do not believe in oathes and pledges in a religious way and I will not let a game force that upon me.

Why I do accept to only get one pledge and only marry one character is because the rings give a big advantage to leveling fast that you only get by paying for it; and it would simply seem unfair to get too much just because I paid more than others, therefore I am satisfied with only marrying my main character. However, I still want the choice to make a new main and marry that one.

That is ofcourse just according to me, and anyone who feels that they want to marry all their characters are ofcourse allowed to disagree with me.

I dont even have a ring of mara, but I definitely agree.

Sorry, not all of us believe in sky-daddy and dont recognize marriage as a "religious" bond
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subtomik wrote: »

I dont even have a ring of mara, but I definitely agree.

Sorry, not all of us believe in sky-daddy and dont recognize marriage as a "religious" bond

No one even brought up modern Christian perspectives on marriage (though I agree that's where the poster mentioned was probably coming from).

But marriage in this game is absolutely a religious bond. You got on your knees in front of Mara and whatever random people were standing around watching, and you made a solemn vow to share an increased XP gain forever. Praise be to the Eight, and good luck getting your divorce approved. I hear there might be a new god showing up in a bit, so maybe he'll look on your appeals with more sympathy.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭

Brilliant...

Religious and Moral values? I don't play games to simulate my moral and religious values in real life. I don't go on military conquests battling 2 other factions for supremacy. I don't kill necromancers, I can't cast spells or teleport about with a giant blue ball behind me absorbing projectiles.

I hope your post wasn't serious because it makes no sense. This is a video game dude lol come on.

I don't see the reason why they shouldn't allow it. Just simply remove the xp buff on your next marriage as a repercussion of the divorce.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »

Brilliant...

Religious and Moral values? I don't play games to simulate my moral and religious values in real life. I don't go on military conquests battling 2 other factions for supremacy. I don't kill necromancers, I can't cast spells or teleport about with a giant blue ball behind me absorbing projectiles.

I hope your post wasn't serious because it makes no sense. This is a video game dude lol come on.

I don't see the reason why they shouldn't allow it. Just simply remove the xp buff on your next marriage as a repercussion of the divorce.

Mara hears your heretical words, and she will smite you.
    ----
    Murray?
  • ZOS_MichelleA
    ZOS_MichelleA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a friendly reminder to keep real-life religion out of a discussion about game mechanics, please. :)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »

Brilliant...

Mara hears your heretical words, and she will smite you.

Mara loves me, my pledge has been sitting in the bank since 5 days before the game went live lol
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my opinion the rings of Mara are a complete design failure. Marriage should have been an option saved for later with a real addition to the gameplay, not just a lame xp boost accessible with the Imperial edition.

@ZOS please replace the current Mara rings with a Spiritual Connection (or whatever really) but don't destroy the entire possibilities of ingame marriage for no reason.
    Wololo.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eight disapprove. If you swear to share good and bad with that person - you need to be responsible for what your promises. The Gods accepted your pledge and now you can follow it or make them angry. Either way, they don't have to and should not please all your desires and changes of your mood.
    - Now you want to marry, then you want to divorce... Gods have other matters to attend. And it's you who serve them, not vice versa.

p.s. adding divorce system will simply make no sense and will ruin the integrity of the world.
    Edited by Artis on December 1, 2014 1:56AM
  • jeanette
    jeanette
    ✭✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »
    The Eight disapprove. If you swear to share good and bad with that person - you need to be responsible for what your promises. The Gods accepted your pledge and now you can follow it or make them angry. Either way, they don't have to and should not please all your desires and changes of your mood.
    - Now you want to marry, then you want to divorce... Gods have other matters to attend. And it's you who serve them, not vice versa.

p.s. adding divorce system will simply make no sense and will ruin the integrity of the world.

I don't agree at all. This is a game. Things that happen in real life will have effect on my gameplay. If i were to lose contact with the one I'm married to in ESO, I wouldn't want to be bound to that person in the game I'm playing. It is annoying and it doesn't really matter if I get a divorce or something similar. Frankly, it is just stupid and not well thought out.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »

I don't agree at all. This is a game. Things that happen in real life will have effect on my gameplay. If i were to lose contact with the one I'm married to in ESO, I wouldn't want to be bound to that person in the game I'm playing. It is annoying and it doesn't really matter if I get a divorce or something similar. Frankly, it is just stupid and not well thought out.

The Eight Divines are angered by your implication of "stupidity". They are beyond such mortal concerns. Begone, and take your blasphemous thoughts to Oblivion.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1

Suru
  • Breg_Magol
    Breg_Magol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm a fully registered Mara Celebrant and I'm authorised by the State of Tamriel to conduct mara's as well as mara annulments.

Basically, if you want to un-Mara .. it used to be that you and the person you're Mara-ed need to jump *backwards* over a straw broomstick on a night of the quarter moon. You also have to invoke the following incantation;

Mara-ed but regretted
    No offspring begotted*
    This Mara up-ended
    No longer besotted

Note* .. If you do have offspring .. just deny maternity/paternity as DNA validation won't be available in Tamriel for another couple of thousand years .... and who's going to believe the word of a snotty nosed brat over yours right?

... and then when you've done that, you have to face the witnesses and incant ...

I wanna be free ...
    To mara the next available Argonian/Dunmer/Altmer/Bosmer/Imperial/Redguard/Pikachu I see ...
    I just wanna be free ...

So .. I believe the only impediment is ZOS's Mara-given responsibility to make available a straw broomstick meeting the correct dimensions and imbued with the magika-interactive properties for the ceremony to work; including the ever present "F - To Interact" arcane lettering (to make it all legal).

ZOS, can you implement please?

Edited by Breg_Magol on December 1, 2014 4:25AM
  • korwinthale
    korwinthale
    ✭✭✭
    I just want them to be account based so my wife and I can play whatever toons we like...
    "Still, we have to keep trying and hoping. That's what's important--the trying and the hoping. Maybe that's most important of all."
  • Mud_Puppy
    Mud_Puppy
    ✭✭✭
    This is a friendly reminder to keep real-life religion out of a discussion about game mechanics, please. :)

Most of Puppy agrees.

Part of Puppy says, hail Sithis.
    /kill
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the hotly debated rings of Mara. I think they should just put them in the cash shop for 5 bucks a pop (for a pair, one to keep, one to give to your intended) and watch the $$ roll in. It's only a 10% XP boost which is frankly barely noticeable. But they are a really fun RP thing and you should have the ability to get them for all of your characters.

There are also plenty of reasons to want to free up your character. The number one reason is that the player you did the Mara Pledge with has left the game. Your poor character has been abandoned! Surely Mara does not expect them to die alone! LOL SO there should be a shrine (maybe Daedric) where you can go and be divorced. Your ring is destroyed, thus freeing you to buy a new set (or accept one that is given to you) and you get a health debuff for the rest of the day....and a floating broken icon heart floats above your character for a week.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Ah the hotly debated rings of Mara. I think they should just put them in the cash shop for 5 bucks a pop (for a pair, one to keep, one to give to your intended) and watch the $$ roll in. It's only a 10% XP boost which is frankly barely noticeable. But they are a really fun RP thing and you should have the ability to get them for all of your characters.

There are also plenty of reasons to want to free up your character. The number one reason is that the player you did the Mara Pledge with has left the game. Your poor character has been abandoned! Surely Mara does not expect them to die alone! LOL SO there should be a shrine (maybe Daedric) where you can go and be divorced. Your ring is destroyed, thus freeing you to buy a new set (or accept one that is given to you) and you get a health debuff for the rest of the day....and a floating broken icon heart floats above your character for a week.

Actually, wouldn't Mara favor those who die of a broken heart, pining for their lost love?
    ----
    Murray?
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, wouldn't Mara favor those who die of a broken heart, pining for their lost love?

Aaaand.. now you made me think of that Ashlander girl who thought her boss was in love with her. I guess Mara didnt care for her because of the Three.
    Edited by Darlgon on December 1, 2014 1:23PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who needs divorce? Why can't we just have in game polygamy/polyandry then we can all be one big happy family .. :)
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who needs divorce? Why can't we just have in game polygamy/polyandry then we can all be one big happy family .. :)

Actually, you CAN have that. You just can't have group Rings of Mara. Though I have to admit it would be pretty hilarious to see entire guilds "Mara'd up" and running about spreading the message of free love! LOL

• Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No.. no Denobulans. Wrong universe.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This problem is really a symptom of a larger problem. The whole asinine once per account instead of once per character they decided to implement. "Make sure you put any special items in the bank before you delete a character or it will be lost forever".

I don't even understand why it's a thing. The items are account bound anyways, so it's not like you're going to be giving away something you paid for/earned.

I'm sure it happens in some other MMOs but for the life of me, I can't of one, at least any good one, where this is a thing.

Personally I believe the reason for this decision lies somewhere between laziness and cost cutting at player's expense. Seriously, what problem would it cause if every time you started a character you got a Scuttler, maps, ring of mara, ect.

This is further confounded by the fact that you can't get the items on each character, yet you have access to the horse each time. You can forever buy a horse for 1g but a Scuttler, now that just breaks the game. v.v

As a side note, I love when ZOS comes in to a thread long enough to scold someone but entirely overlooks the actual topic of the thread requesting answers.
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.