The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Divorce -again.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heishi wrote: »
    This problem is really a symptom of a larger problem. The whole asinine once per account instead of once per character they decided to implement. "Make sure you put any special items in the bank before you delete a character or it will be lost forever".

I don't even understand why it's a thing. The items are account bound anyways, so it's not like you're going to be giving away something you paid for/earned.

I'm sure it happens in some other MMOs but for the life of me, I can't of one, at least any good one, where this is a thing.

Personally I believe the reason for this decision lies somewhere between laziness and cost cutting at player's expense. Seriously, what problem would it cause if every time you started a character you got a Scuttler, maps, ring of mara, ect.

This is further confounded by the fact that you can't get the items on each character, yet you have access to the horse each time. You can forever buy a horse for 1g but a Scuttler, now that just breaks the game. v.v

As a side note, I love when ZOS comes in to a thread long enough to scold someone but entirely overlooks the actual topic of the thread requesting answers.
    You can move pets, rings etc. between characters. You can't share horses. That's why you get pets only once - and let's be honest, 99% of people would immediately delete them from new characters to save bag space.

What we need is account-wide trophy inventory. Hopefully ZOS will implement it soon.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeanette wrote: »
    Wow... I'm not going to for a moment preach about religious or moral values. That would prove fruitless.

However, I'm going to pull the one sentence from the OP that seems to be relevant....

"For me it is acceptable that you only get one pledge of mara and only marry one character, but it is not acceptable to be stuck with that choice."

So by your own statement, you're basically saying.. I get to marry or make a pledge to whomever I want... but oathes and pledges don't mean squat when it comes to what benefits me personally.

Brilliant...

You're the example the rest of us should strive to emulate.

Wow. Christian values seem to follow me everywhere. I do not believe in oathes and pledges in a religious way and I will not let a game force that upon me.

Why I do accept to only get one pledge and only marry one character is because the rings give a big advantage to leveling fast that you only get by paying for it; and it would simply seem unfair to get too much just because I paid more than others, therefore I am satisfied with only marrying my main character. However, I still want the choice to make a new main and marry that one.

That is ofcourse just according to me, and anyone who feels that they want to marry all their characters are ofcourse allowed to disagree with me.
    Exactly where did I mention anything about Christian values?

My whole reply was based solely on the one statement I quoted. In fact, I even went out of my way to specifically state that it wasn't about religion.

• Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    What we need is account-wide trophy inventory. Hopefully ZOS will implement it soon.

They showed one in the latest ESO Live. THINK they said update 6? Here is hoping.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    Rosveen wrote: »

They showed one in the latest ESO Live. THINK they said update 6? Here is hoping.

Oh I hope it IS account wide! Then I'd have no need to keep all those individual Finvier's Trinkets and be able to access it on any character!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... I'm not going to for a moment preach about religious or moral values. That would prove fruitless.

However, I'm going to pull the one sentence from the OP that seems to be relevant....

"For me it is acceptable that you only get one pledge of mara and only marry one character, but it is not acceptable to be stuck with that choice."

So by your own statement, you're basically saying.. I get to marry or make a pledge to whomever I want... but oathes and pledges don't mean squat when it comes to what benefits me personally.

Brilliant...

Context, brother.

They want to be able to remove the pledge from on character and move it to another.

But nice job figuring out how to take that sentence out of the context of the OP to chastise them.

Brilliant...
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a friendly reminder to keep real-life religion out of a discussion about game mechanics, please. :)

But we can berate people's views of your made up religions?
  • Winnower
    Winnower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rings of Mara with 10% bonus to xp were a teaser to get you to open an account with the bank, like an introductory discount to your interest rate.

Change *anything* and they no longer work. This is a design feature - not a bug or poorly implemented - they do exactly and only what the marketing people intended. if you believe otherwise you may be somewhat naive or gullible or one of those folks on whom advertising works. I predict you'll never ever see a repetition of that offer again unless they do another steam/pet *** type thing.

10% of 1,000,000 xp is 100,000 xp - that is gonna be HUGE with the current 1.5 through championship system. 10% of the xp for 700 CS points? oh my.
    VR14 Templar, VR14 DK, VR8 DK, VR7 NB, VR1 Sorcerer;
    All 3 Alliances;
    2 Pre-order Imperial Accounts, yes that means 16 characters on NA alone
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heishi wrote: »
    This problem is really a symptom of a larger problem. The whole asinine once per account instead of once per character they decided to implement. "Make sure you put any special items in the bank before you delete a character or it will be lost forever".

I don't even understand why it's a thing. The items are account bound anyways, so it's not like you're going to be giving away something you paid for/earned.

I'm sure it happens in some other MMOs but for the life of me, I can't of one, at least any good one, where this is a thing.

Personally I believe the reason for this decision lies somewhere between laziness and cost cutting at player's expense. Seriously, what problem would it cause if every time you started a character you got a Scuttler, maps, ring of mara, ect.

This is further confounded by the fact that you can't get the items on each character, yet you have access to the horse each time. You can forever buy a horse for 1g but a Scuttler, now that just breaks the game. v.v

As a side note, I love when ZOS comes in to a thread long enough to scold someone but entirely overlooks the actual topic of the thread requesting answers.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Regarding the rings... I too have lost an in game wife to the "I can't take this game any more" syndrome. Can't blame her but I've been sticking it out.

So us that are still around, who have supported your game, from the beginning, get totally hosed in this.

Good looking out ZOS, thanks, appreciate it.
    Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winnower wrote: »
    Rings of Mara with 10% bonus to xp were a teaser to get you to open an account with the bank, like an introductory discount to your interest rate.

Change *anything* and they no longer work. This is a design feature - not a bug or poorly implemented - they do exactly and only what the marketing people intended. if you believe otherwise you may be somewhat naive or gullible or one of those folks on whom advertising works. I predict you'll never ever see a repetition of that offer again unless they do another steam/pet *** type thing.

10% of 1,000,000 xp is 100,000 xp - that is gonna be HUGE with the current 1.5 through championship system. 10% of the xp for 700 CS points? oh my.

Introductory? Was there an expiration date attached to the rings?

ZoSence (n.):
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvyr wrote: »
    Winnower wrote: »

Introductory? Was there an expiration date attached to the rings?

I get the comparison they are trying to make... but, yeah... that post makes absolutely no sense.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really should be as easy as if one of the two toons in the marriage is deleted, then both accounts are free'd up to re-marry. This would be a simulated death of a spouse.

Option two is that if an account is not logged in for 30 days, then other player has the OPTION to declare their spouse as having left them. This player can then declare the marriage as over through no fault of their own.

Seems pretty straight forward to me and nobody had to break any vows.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    It really should be as easy as if one of the two toons in the marriage is deleted, then both accounts are free'd up to re-marry. This would be a simulated death of a spouse.

Option two is that if an account is not logged in for 30 days, then other player has the OPTION to declare their spouse as having left them. This player can then declare the marriage as over through no fault of their own.

Seems pretty straight forward to me and nobody had to break any vows.

This would work just fine. My wife and I each have lvl 6 characters just sitting there since april, that are married. The only reason we havent deleted them is because they are married. We didnt decide on our mains for months after we started playing. It took that long to learn the game and what our play stiles would be. Our mains are now V6, have the same last name yet they are not married...dumb. I try really hard not to be one of those people who think they are entitled to stuff all the time. But in this case, it seems like one of those really cool elements to the game that Zos has just sucked all the fun out of. To be honest, after paying for 7 months on 2 accounts, I guess I do feel a little entitled to some fun.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I trust that if there is a divorce system introduced that it will entail all the extra xp gained by the couple through their marriage being lost, think of it as being transferred to their lawyers as the price of divorce.

More seriously, I can't believe that this is even being raised in relation to a computer game, or that there's an xp gain from a character getting "married" in the first place. Far better in my view to scrap the whole concept, those who want to role-play partnerships can still do so through emotes and conversation etc. After all, it is just a game and some real-life matters are best left to real life.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I trust that if there is a divorce system introduced that it will entail all the extra xp gained by the couple through their marriage being lost, think of it as being transferred to their lawyers as the price of divorce.

As I RP an in game lawyer, I will be tickled pink to get all of those xp for facilitating the in game divorce. I would be rolling in the xp!

I still have my Mara rings as only one of my characters who are ICly married is the same level as her IC husband as you can't get past V14. The others are non vets with vet level husbands. With such a wide difference between the couple in level, the rings are useless.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A marriage should only be dissolved upon death. DEATH, I TELL YOU!

So anyone married to me can dissolve our marriage about, on average, every 3.5 minutes.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know why the gave an Exp Boost to Married PCs anyway. Since everything it easier as a duo, and gives more Exp to boot anyway (duo kills give more exp than solo or group kills) then PCs who are married get a double exp bonus if they play or quest together.

I have my Rings of Mara and plan to never to use them, but I don't see why we can't get a divorce in the game and remarry. I don't even think it is part of the lore to be permanently married. Married NPCs have broken up in the series before, widows and widowers have found new love in the series before. Life moves on, I guess Tamriel marriage does not.
    Edited by Nestor on December 2, 2014 7:54PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with divorce in Tamriel, as long as there is a cooldown or waiting period or whatever. I'm just upset I can't marry Gabrielle Benele from the mages guild ;)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • thri11co11ector
    If Mara allows divorce it will ruin the sanctity of marriage throughout Tamriel!

It’s L’Tara and Rum-Vee not L’Tara and Ti’anti!

The eight hate lusty Argonian maids!

Provisioning with Kwama eggs is murder!

OK, I’m done.
    "Personally I would not care for immortality in the least. There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled. We had it before we were born, yet did not complain. Shall we whine because we know it will return? It is Elysium enough for me, at any rate." - HP Lovecraft
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...until death do us part.

Perhaps killing the character and deleting it will let you marry again ?
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about spousal abuse?

ZoSence (n.):
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then, on the other hand, you have people like me who pre-ordered the Imperial Edition, have two Veteran chars, generally play with the same friend, and have still never used the Rings of Mara because of their permanence! I've been hanging onto them just in case my real-life husband decides he has enough free time to play...
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Digielf
    Digielf
    ✭✭✭
    its stupid to get married with other players and not with npcs
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Who needs divorce? Why can't we just have in game polygamy/polyandry then we can all be one big happy family .. :)

Actually, you CAN have that. You just can't have group Rings of Mara. Though I have to admit it would be pretty hilarious to see entire guilds "Mara'd up" and running about spreading the message of free love! LOL

don't you mean speading the word of dibella? :P
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to necro an almost 1 year old post :D
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Corellon Thromorin
    Corellon Thromorin
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant...

It's a game, it's fiction. As a Roman Catholic I say that while I disagree with IRL divorce doesn't mean it shouldn't exist in-game. I also kill people in-game, doesn't mean I'll take a dagger and kill some people on the street.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a friendly reminder to keep real-life religion out of a discussion about game mechanics, please. :)

BRB gonna slay 1000 innocents and kill some goats.
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    That moment when you didn't realize it was a necro until the end... :blush:
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!