The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shadow Cloak in PVP

Aldruin
Aldruin
✭✭✭
I know Shadow Cloak received some fixes in recent patches, but still, it is broken to the point that 80% of the time your enemy can break it with simple light attacks, charges or really, any skills. While I was fighting some Nightblades I saw that they are literally spamming the cloak and I could actually aim them and hit them. I accepted that talons and such AoEs will most likely always take me out of cloak, but please, when I am hidden for 1,5 seconds, why can my enemies still hit me with a simple light attack?
Can we expect some love for the cloak in 1.6 or should I just drop it from my build completely?
  • QuadroTony
    QuadroTony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can confirm this issues
  • Rydik
    Rydik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't understand this problem, you invisible not immortal, if attack aoe or just strike the point where you standing it must hit you...
    Edited by Rydik on November 29, 2014 4:14PM
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they've broken (or stealth nerfed) Shadow Cloak into the point of uselessness.

Even Invis pots, which any class can use, are much more powerful. Kinda pointless to play the "stealth" class if your stealth is completely broken.
    Rydik wrote: »
    Don't understand this problem, you invisible not immortal, if attack aoe or just strike the point where you standing it must hit you...

No, they've broken (or stealth nerfed) Shadow Cloak into the point of uselessness.

Even Invis pots, which any class can use, are much more powerful. Kinda pointless to play the "stealth" class if your stealth is completely broken.
  • davedesigns
    davedesigns
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm this - Shadow Cloak does nothing even in PvE - mobs can see me and still target and attack even when cloaked.

Why is stealth class so jacked up while other classes are basically immortal against us? Very disappoint ZoS...
    Edited by davedesigns on November 29, 2014 7:31PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treat it like a resistance buff and DOT cleanse. If you get any invisibility out of it, consider it an unexpected bonus :P
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like they reverted the fixes the made prior to 1.5. All except the dot stuff. Here's a vid of what is happening on a regular basis now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBcVcacrnI
    As you see cloak was activated the red animation was shown, but I still remained revealed.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
    Edited by TheBull on November 29, 2014 6:32PM
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    Rydik wrote: »

I said it in my post that I understand that AoE takes me out of stealth. The problem is that when I used the cloak in 1v1 fights, my enemy could break the invisibility by only charging at me or just light attacking me. The problem is that even without attacking people can see me through cloak. I have seen this problem myself, while fighting other nightblades. They did not become invisible when using cloak, they were still targetable by single target skills.
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    It's like they reverted the fixes the made prior to 1.5. All except the dot stuff. Here's a vid of what is happening on a regular basis now.
    As you see cloak was activated the red animation was shown, but I still remained revealed.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

Thanks for the video, I was about to make one but that one is a perfect example of what's happening. Hopefully ZOS will see this post.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps mage light overrides cloak. Anyone has video of cloak working next to person with ML? Or not working next to person without it?
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Perhaps mage light overrides cloak. Anyone has video of cloak working next to person with ML? Or not working next to person without it?

Magelight can break cloak and it is supposed to in my experience. However, in the video that @TheBull linked, none of the two guys had magelight active. Many times when I fight, my enemy does not have magelight on and he/she is still able to break my cloak. It is definitely not the problem.
  • Darthryan
    Darthryan
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been using invis pots and mist now and some times cloak to remove dots but to get invisible I use pots. They don't know or care anymore about even trying to fix this skill. If they do fix it completely then I will start recommending people to this game. As it is now, I don't. With every "fix" or update they just add more bugs. Its very discouraging
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darthryan wrote: »
    Ive been using invis pots and mist now and some times cloak to remove dots but to get invisible I use pots. They don't know or care anymore about even trying to fix this skill. If they do fix it completely then I will start recommending people to this game. As it is now, I don't. With every "fix" or update they just add more bugs. Its very discouraging

I totally agree.

• Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that people are agreeing on this bug, hopefully ZOS will react.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
  • Suntzu1414
    its broken.

Kill Well
    ST
    DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • QuadroTony
    QuadroTony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldruin wrote: »
    Good to see that people are agreeing on this bug, hopefully ZOS will react.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
    me too
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So worthless at times. I just had it break like 5 times fighting 2 guys with no AoE. Activate, fail, activate, fail, over and over.
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like this thread selectively did not get response. All the threads around mine got answer from a ZOS employee :disappointed:
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

We're currently taking a look into the issues presented in this topic.

We take a look into everything that gets posted, it's just less exciting to post "we'll take a look" as opposed to "We're in the process of fixing it!" or "It'll be in a patch soon!", especially considering that looking into something can take a fair chunk of time.

If everyone would prefer, we can do our best to post more "looking into it" posts, with the caveat that follow-ups to the topic may take longer.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Treat it like a resistance buff and DOT cleanse. If you get any invisibility out of it, consider it an unexpected bonus :P
    Sadly that's how I am forced to use it most of the time.
    TheBull wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌
    That's pretty damning evidence. Just to play devil's advocate though is it possible that they had a detect potion active?
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

We take a look into everything that gets posted, it's just less exciting to post "we'll take a look" as opposed to "We're in the process of fixing it!" or "It'll be in a patch soon!", especially considering that looking into something can take a fair chunk of time.

If everyone would prefer, we can do our best to post more "looking into it" posts, with the caveat that follow-ups to the topic may take longer.
    I think it's nice to know that you are aware of a problem and are looking into it.
    :trollin:
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi Gary:

After reading and participating in lots of threads I think that most people just want validation that ZOS acknowledges the issues being brought up and is planning to do something about the things that are not working as designed. Or alternately, if something IS working as designed, verifying that.

I also think if you respond that you're looking into something, you'll see fewer threads repeating the same complaints because some people think the more threads they make, the more likely they'll get some kind of response.

I'd be happy with acknowledgment youre looking into something. But I reserve the right to ask "are we there yet" if there's no answer after some time has gone by. :)
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Slurg no worries! We'll be happy to provide updates when requested, though the update may be "no news yet." We just figured we'd take the opportunity to let everyone know that all of this feedback gets heard and sent along, even if there aren't accompanying responses.

A lot of changes and fixes to ESO have been a direct result of user feedback, so we sincerely appreciate these threads, your /bug reports, and your /feedback reports!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    @Slurg no worries! We'll be happy to provide updates when requested, though the update may be "no news yet." We just figured we'd take the opportunity to let everyone know that all of this feedback gets heard and sent along, even if there aren't accompanying responses.

A lot of changes and fixes to ESO have been a direct result of user feedback, so we sincerely appreciate these threads, your /bug reports, and your /feedback reports!

Thanks for the feedback Gary,

While PvPing today, I experienced two types of bugs related to the cloak. One is, that abilities cast before the cloak is used, but reach you after the cloak is used still damage you and take you out of the cloak. This causes the cloak to be infinitely breakable, as you are taken out, the opponent will cast the same ability again and even if you hide again, the ability will find you and take you out.
    The rather annoying bug is that abilities that have missed you still break cloak. I think I read in one of the patch notes that this has been fixed, but I am unsure.

I hope ZOS will take a close look at the mechanism of cloak, it could be an awesome skill, and a very tactical one for PvP, but as of now it really needs some love.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One possible way to fix this would be to make cloak work similar to sorcerer teleport.

A sorcerer's teleport works the same regardless of damage the sorcerer takes. If he spends the magicka, he always gets the full effect of being teleported 15 meters forward.

This is how cloak should work. If you spend the magicka, you get 2.9 seconds of invisibility, always. Taking damage would have no effect on this.

To keep the ability in check, similarly to a teleport, the cloak would get more expensive if cast repeatedly too often. Also, anyone having means to see through the cloak (via either magelight or detection potion) would still be able to see and attack the cloaker, it would just not pull the cloaker out of invisibility for everyone else to see as well.

This would make the cloak more reliable rather than the 'use and pray it works' ability it is now.
    Edited by Sharee on December 3, 2014 7:43AM
  • aco5712
    aco5712
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also another thing with dark cloak. It doesn't remove things like disease dots. Using jt as a purge isn't that effective. Is this intended?
    Banned for Naming and Shaming exploiters. Great ideology ZOS.
    #FreeLeo

Main: Vir Cor | Dragonknight
    Alt: Leo Cor | Nightblade
    Alt: Leonidas Cor | Templar

Guild: K-Hole
    Youtube: CorESO
    DK PvP Tank/DPS Hybrid Build (2.1+): Cor Leonis
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

As someone who has been requesting the simple we are looking into this comments, since launch it would make a difference, rather than us think you are indifferent to the issues.

There are so many issues currently which have no comments, can I take it that all of these are not considered issues?

Developer Tracker, will the posts ever be followed up? Cyrodill Lag, which is progressively getting worst has not had any input from ZOS in 2 weeks, which is better than most the others, but surely you can see that if ZOS is not updating the community, there is no reason for the community to add comments to these threads if they don't believe they are being listened to?

• TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. That helps a lot.

• Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    aco5712 wrote: »
    Also another thing with dark cloak. It doesn't remove things like disease dots. Using jt as a purge isn't that effective. Is this intended?

In my experience the disease DoTs are removed by the cloak, but the greenish cloud animation doesn't disappear. I may still stink, but I don't take damage after activating cloak so I got that going for me which is nice...
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS, today in PvP I was able to aim at where I believed an invisible NB was (after they hit cloak) and successfully attack them with Ambush. After my bloodthirst subsided I realized what just happened and that it should not have. I should NOT be able to get a lock on a NB that has cloaked.

Ever since the nerf of night silence speed stacking with vamp passive, both stealth for all races and NB cloak have been worse than they were prior. It may help to look at the code prior to that release on Aug-25. This thread may help with some perspective as well.

Thanks for acknowledging you saw this and that you're looking into.
  • TomLukman
    TomLukman
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the same issues the original author described with shadow cloak with my nightblade. Kept getting snipe spammed after cloaking. I blamed it on lag but this thread made me wonder. Also, shadow cloak doesn't remove all negative effects from player (for example meat bag catapult debuff).

Not sure about Shadow cloak, but I do know that if I have a vampire "TAB" targeted and he goes into invisible vamp swarm that I can still see the targeting box and can do direct attacks on him. Maybe it's the same thing with shadow cloak. I'll try to watch out for it.
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    It is end of march 2015 now, and still there is no improvement in this regard. Shadow cloak still does not work properly.

Given that stealth is quite an important mechanic to a stealth class, I do not see how this issue does not have a high priority on the bug fix list of eso team.