The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS should be paying the add-on authors for their services

Jaxsun
Jaxsun
✭✭✭✭
It's ridiculous that we need add-ons for core functionality of an MMO i.e. buff bars, ui customization, information about what item was sold on a guild trader, just to name a few.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's your choice whether to use add-ons, many people don't see the need for them, myself included. Both the simplicity of the default UI and the ability to modify it are core aspects of the Elder Scrolls IP and long-term players were keen to preserve them as this is very much an Elder Scrolls online game rather than another standard MMO clone.

I'm one of those players who loves the default UI (apart from the quickslot wheel) but for those who want more functionality the options are there.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaxsun wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that we need add-ons for core functionality of an MMO i.e. buff bars, ui customization, information about what item was sold on a guild trader, just to name a few.

Not using any addons here, game still runs fine and I don't have any issues. I never understood the addon hype in MMOs.
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

Not using any addons here, game still runs fine and I don't have any issues. I never understood the addon hype in MMOs.
    Addons which lists the exact health percentage of certain targets is very important, because many bosses have mechanics which activate on certain health %. Furthermore, many skills like impale, mages wrath behave differently depending on the HP% of the opponent.

The tracking of buffs/debuffs is and their duration/expiration is also important, because efficient dps requires the buffs or debuffs/DOT to be active on all times during a boss. Without a buff/debuff tracker, it is too difficult to tell when you are supposed to reapply the skill or not.

So the above two functionalities, which are provided by addons, are essential. If you don't have the above two functionalities, it is impossible to efficiently play trials and other high end content.
    Edited by Aeratus on November 22, 2014 2:20PM
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    This the 5th MMO I've played and the only one I've needed add-ons for. All the others had the core functionality. As for the consistency with the Elder Scrolls titles, this is not a single player game, it is an MMO. This game can be unique and have core functionality without ruining it for the purists. At the very least it should have the option to turn off all those features the purists don't like.

The biggest issue for me is not having to use add-ons, it's not being able to hard target group members to heal them. Smart heals are ok but they do not allow you to heal the people you need to heal when you need to heal them. At the very least, smart heals should prioritize group members before random people around you.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a few addons, but I do not need them to enjoy the game. I love the default min UI.
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's your choice whether to use add-ons, many people don't see the need for them, myself included. Both the simplicity of the default UI and the ability to modify it are core aspects of the Elder Scrolls IP and long-term players were keen to preserve them as this is very much an Elder Scrolls online game rather than another standard MMO clone.

I'm one of those players who loves the default UI (apart from the quickslot wheel) but for those who want more functionality the options are there.

We should be able to edit the UI at will, without an add-on to do so, so that all can have it as they like it. I quit playing TOR because the entire purpose of the game was grinding for gear you didn't need after you got it and I certainly don't want that to end up happening here, but having buff bars and a UI editor built into the game will not do that.
  • Loneshard
    Loneshard
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

This ^^
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Default UI is ok for most of the game, but more is needed for the more difficult content.

For example, the COH hard mode achievement requires you to have 4 adds up before the boss gets to 35%. But without an addon that tells you the exact health % of the boss, you cannot discern how close you are to getting the boss to 35% health.
    Edited by Aeratus on November 22, 2014 2:38PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If ZOS was paying Addon developers, addons wouldn't be free.

Just thought I would through that one into the mix. If a company pays someone to make a product they generally want an income for it, to pay the people making it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeratus wrote: »
    Default UI is ok for most of the game, but more is needed for the more difficult content.

For example, the COH hard mode achievement requires you to have 4 adds up before the boss gets to 35%. But without an addon that tells you the exact health % of the boss, you cannot discern how close you are to getting the boss to 35% health.

I've done that COH achievement, and everyone in the group was using the default UI. Is your mind blown?
    ----
    Murray?
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same argument came around with WoW and over the years dev's started adding some of what addons did to UI. What is funny to me the things people complain about with these games. Majority of addon authors love to make them. They also make a little cash from it if they are well made. I wonder how many people or OP has ever donated to any of these addon authors?
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • MercutioElessar
    MercutioElessar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's ridiculous to demand a prize or payment for something done voluntarily. So what's all the fuzz about?

Did you build one and didn't get the wanted attention?
    If I've ever offended you,
    just know that from the bottom of my heart,
    I really don't give a ***.

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aeratus wrote: »

Addons which lists the exact health percentage of certain targets is very important, because many bosses have mechanics which activate on certain health %. Furthermore, many skills like impale, mages wrath behave differently depending on the HP% of the opponent.

The tracking of buffs/debuffs is and their duration/expiration is also important, because efficient dps requires the buffs or debuffs/DOT to be active on all times during a boss. Without a buff/debuff tracker, it is too difficult to tell when you are supposed to reapply the skill or not.

So the above two functionalities, which are provided by addons, are essential. If you don't have the above two functionalities, it is impossible to efficiently play trials and other high end content.

I have to say that what you say is plausible, however I was raiding at other MMOs such as wow in Vanilla and TBC and this in a very successful raid environment with me in a leading role.

Besides a stop watch and CT-Raid nothing was used. Ok, the WOW UI was showing a bit more but if we talk about decursive, grid, DBM or recount nothing of that was allowed as I felt that people who communicate are more important than scripted "messages" by a tool that can fail if you need it most. That circumstance btw. put us in front of many guilds who had more time than we did as they couldn't raid after a new patch since the addons all stopped working.

Maybe gamers today are less communicative and raid leaders forgot about the good old stop watch .... I don't know.
    As I said the % does make sense in one way but I believe that most raid leaders should see when their target is at 1/3 of its health and counting to 16 to reapply a debuff should also be doable ;)

In the end I think its more about having it easier and more practicable than impossible without.
  • ZOS_MichelleA
    ZOS_MichelleA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, folks! We have moved this thread to the Add-Ons & UI Mods forum. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They probably shouldn't be paying them like employees or contractors, but they probably should give a bit of recognition. Maybe a small cash prize based on using polling for the best addons of various categories. Maybe an Addon Grammys or something like that once every 6 months.

Of course, those that don't win or get rewarded would probably ragequit the game, so yeh they should just stick to not rewarding.
    Edited by timidobserver on November 22, 2014 4:59PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's ridiculous to demand a prize or payment for something done voluntarily. So what's all the fuzz about?

Nope and once again it is funny how people think when it comes to comments. How come am starting to feel like most of these posts come from the F2P crowd. :-D

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I an currently 41 on top all time AA run, have every veteran dungeon achievement andhave tanked healed and dps everything the game has to offer and I have never nor do I currently use add-ons. So before you say something is impossible make sure it really is.
    Edited by yodased on November 22, 2014 6:42PM
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭

No, I did not make an add-on nor do I have the knowledge to do so. The point of this post is that the game lacks core functionality that I think should be standard in every MMO. (I realize there are people that think it's fine and I have no issue if you like the game the way it is.) It feels like ZOS underdeveloped the game on purpose knowing that they would get the add-on authors to make up the difference for free.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I heard the term "Standard MMO" I ask myself what is "standard?" The answer is WoW clones. I do not want ESO to be a WoW clone, thus I am OK it does have so called "standard aspects" as the OP might think it needs,
    Edited by k9mouse on November 23, 2014 12:25AM
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never played WoW....
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like when a game uses addons like this, you can pick the UI/crafting/ect you like and are comfortable with. The funny part with MMO's you will always get people complaining about one thing or another. Before they allowed addons in games people would complain how the games UI was setup, always the same blah blah blah. Go play the game or not but stop the whining about everything including the kitchen sink.

Sorry being 60 and having played these games from UO beta just sick and tired of all these complaining kids these last 5 or 6 years. Before that we at least complained about those 5 hour respawns in EQ. I can imagine how they would of reacted back then. :-D
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    I like when a game uses addons like this, you can pick the UI/crafting/ect you like and are comfortable with. The funny part with MMO's you will always get people complaining about one thing or another. Before they allowed addons in games people would complain how the games UI was setup, always the same blah blah blah. Go play the game or not but stop the whining about everything including the kitchen sink.

Sorry being 60 and having played these games from UO beta just sick and tired of all these complaining kids these last 5 or 6 years. Before that we at least complained about those 5 hour respawns in EQ. I can imagine how they would of reacted back then. :-D

Yeah, I'll take the serving crashing lag from SWG over this any day.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Whether or not they're required, they do add to the game, both for convenience and information shown. One of the strong points about TES has always been the mod community.

I'd venture most addon authors would first like something to make their jobs easier, as the API documentation is rather sparse. It's gotten better (as they didn't even communicate API changes ahead of time) but still could use improvement. Perhaps gametime credit at most.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now game time credit I could agree with. But only for the top one's, you can't have it where just because you made one does not mean it is good.
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tip. I do.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Apokh
      Apokh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The minimal UI of ESO is okay.
      Especially casual players won´t miss a thing.
      But if you have come to a point, where you want to squeeze the very best out of your character and gameplay, the Infos in the standard UI are not sufficient.
      There a some very few infos, that ZOS will have to integrate to give players a basic UI which gets them to the point, where they can play their char optimal without any addon. I think of short time buffs/debuffs which you do need in endgame, to use your ressources as good as possible, the option to turn on percentage labeling on the healthbars and some kind of Info for the guildstore sales - a hint in the ingame mail you get when you sold a thing, WHERE it was sold and which Item would be enough. The info must be there, because AddOns fetch it, too.

I luv my AddOns.
      Legenden
      Play@Feierabend mit der legendärsten Feierabendgilde.
      Besuch uns.
      Es ist besser zu schweigen und alle glauben zu lassen, man sei dumm, als den Mund aufzumachen und alle Zweifel zu beseitigen.
    2. Karius_Imalthar
      Karius_Imalthar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I use some addons but not for any of the features you mentioned.
    3. eventide03b14a_ESO
      eventide03b14a_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      k9mouse wrote: »
      Every time I heard the term "Standard MMO" I ask myself what is "standard?" The answer is WoW clones. I do not want ESO to be a WoW clone, thus I am OK it does have so called "standard aspects" as the OP might think it needs,
      Every time it rains I ask myself "where is the rain coming from?" The answer is the clouds in the sky. I do not like rain so therefore tacos.
      Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on December 2, 2014 4:51PM
      :trollin:
    4. Alphashado
      Alphashado
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      ZoS designed this game with an intentionally bare boned UI under the ASSUMPTION that there would be hundreds of thousands or even millions of people in the player base and therefore an abundance of people willing to create and maintain mods.

Well that isn't exactly working out according to plan. We have a dying player base and less and less people willing to create and maintain mods. So now we are stuck with a bare boned UI and a severe lack of interest in creating addons.

ZoS needs to either start paying addon authors or they need to develop their own addons and make them optional.

5. Karius_Imalthar
      Karius_Imalthar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      In another MMO I played, players were able to create content and other players could tip them with in-game coin. The drawback was that it led to lots and lots of awful content... kind of like phone apps and microtransactions. :\