The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can't learn Motif

fougerec99b16_ESO
fougerec99b16_ESO
✭✭✭
I meet the requirements for Barbarian and yet it says "must have Blacksmithing, Tailoring or Woodworking at 7" and won't let me read the book.

Is there a trick to it or is it a bug? I sent a bug report just in case.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wierd, i don't remember any of the motifs having crafting level restrictions.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Azzouron
    Azzouron
    ✭✭
    The motifs found in veteran areas all have these restrictions .
    I had to improve my clothier to 25 today before I could unlock Tailoring level 6 and use my primal motif. Other motifs like the daedric one require even higher levels, they're probably in place to stop lower levels running around in fancy armour !

I've not come across a bug but if you are sure you meet the requirements then anything is possible.
    Azourelle, a V2 Imperial Templar and loyal protector of Queen Ayrenn.
    Hoarder of alchemy reagents, saviour of guar.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may sound silly, but I have a lot of sympathy for the requirement of the more rare motifs. Watching a lvl 12 player walking around in full deadric armor, is like watching a 5-year-old girl messing in her mothers cosmetic drawer, while her mother is in the kitchen cooking food for the family....

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the skills at level 7, or have you spent skill points to get to the 7th level of material crafting (ie. your metalworking for smithing, etc)? I believe the motif requires the latter, not the former.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    Do you have the skills at level 7, or have you spent skill points to get to the 7th level of material crafting (ie. your metalworking for smithing, etc)? I believe the motif requires the latter, not the former.

I think Ur-Quan hit the nail on the head. That makes perfect sense. It refers to the material unlocked level, not the character or crafting level.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • fougerec99b16_ESO
    fougerec99b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ah! There you go then :) I was reading it the wrong way. Thanks!
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

I think Ur-Quan hit the nail on the head. That makes perfect sense. It refers to the material unlocked level, not the character or crafting level.

Yes, this is correct. We understand that the in-game info could be more clear, and may be updating the tooltips.

Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is correct. We understand that the in-game info could be more clear, and may be updating the tooltips.
    And to be perfectly honest, that was completely a guess on my part.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Wildhunt
    Wildhunt
    The requirements are Metalworking, Tailoring or Woodworking 7 for Barb and Primal, 8 for Ancient elf, 9 for Daedric. Provided you put points in those Barb unlocks around crafting level 30
  • AureateRN
    AureateRN
    ✭✭✭
    Wildhunt wrote: »
    The requirements are Metalworking, Tailoring or Woodworking 7 for Barb and Primal, 8 for Ancient elf, 9 for Daedric. Provided you put points in those Barb unlocks around crafting level 30

Mine are beyond that, in crafting skill and passives--I have a dedicated crafter. I still cannot open them beyond level 11.

"...people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AureateRN wrote: »
    Mine are beyond that, in crafting skill and passives--I have a dedicated crafter. I still cannot open them beyond level 11.

How did Spinal Tap get into this game? The ranks only go to ten (or less).
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 years ago, this post made sense.

Now? You did exactly 0 research or ask questions before coming here.

You need woodworking at level 7.

There are two different ways to look at crafting.

1. is your overall crafting level, this goes to 50.
    2. is your passive level that allows for use of higher grade tempers.

The books work on the passives, not the overall level.

Also, necro thread is necro.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.