The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Guild Spotlight - The Old Timers Guild"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the "Guild Spotlight - The Old Timer's Guild" blog post. If you'd like to be considered for a future Guild Spotlight article, please reply with your answers in this thread (don't forget a guild screenshot!)
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Frums
    Frums
    ✭✭
    Nice "Spotlight" on a good group of people!
  • totallytony
    totallytony
    Soul Shriven
    Makes no sense. Why have people from all factions in your guild? the fact that it is even possible blows my mind. obviously not a pvp guild
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "gather mats in cyrodiil"

made me cringe... just... no.
  • calamity
    calamity
    ✭✭
    I think it sounds like a great guild for those of us who are a bit older, and may only get a couple of days a week to play because of our jobs, but want the support of a community.

However, when I went to their site, there's no information about how to join or who to contact.
    Edited by calamity on June 12, 2014 12:06AM
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    I think it sounds like a great guild for those of us who are a bit older, and may only get a couple of days a week to play because of our jobs, but want the support of a community.

However, when I went to their site, there's no information about how to join or who to contact.

Oops, sorry about that. If you click on the Forums tab at the top of the page, you will end up seeing "OTG Recruiting Post" as the second forum. Under that is a specific sub-forum for "Elder Scrolls Online Recruiting"; it contains a read me first sticky to get you started, as well as a New Recruits Start Here announcement thread with more details.

In addition, there are some public forums for all the games we play which can give you a sense of what we are about. The ESO forums are under "Featured Guild Games" (these are the games we are most active in at the moment).
  • Alphakil
    Alphakil
    Soul Shriven
    Guild leader does not like dissent, so if you do not like his rules look elsewhere. he tells us where a faction can play and locks forums threads that he does not like.

Enough said got kicked from guild
    Edited by Alphakil on June 28, 2014 8:50PM
  • Tess_Phyreforge
    Tess_Phyreforge
    ✭✭✭
    Makes no sense. Why have people from all factions in your guild? the fact that it is even possible blows my mind. obviously not a pvp guild

The Old Timers Guild does have PVP Rules in place for each Faction and which Home Campaign is set for their faction, At this time the Multi-Faction Guild is working great and players that do PvP follow the rules set by the Chapter leader.
  • Moonclaw
    Moonclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Nice article.. pity my main is on Daggerfall Covenant
    General issue with ESO is that you cant look around and see guilds active when you are playing... I know that lack of guild tags helps some folks immersion but I think it is a very bad omission
  • defilade__ESO
    defilade__ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Moonclaw wrote: »
    Nice article.. pity my main is on Daggerfall Covenant
    General issue with ESO is that you cant look around and see guilds active when you are playing... I know that lack of guild tags helps some folks immersion but I think it is a very bad omission

We have members who exclusively play characters on Daggerfall

And no, we do not look to Cyrodiil as a go-to place to farm crafting nodes, as someone else seemed to suggest. There's just not enough nodes on that map to make it worthwhile. ;)
  • quakedawg_ESO
    quakedawg_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I swear a guild with this name was in Dark age of Camelot. No? Anyway, great to see a drama free environment with the emphasis on fun. Good luck guys/gals and kudos to the older gamers out there!
    Pro Tip: Form a group of 4 and hang out with the zerg. Now you can claim you only run with 4. I'm l33t

'I've never died in AvA. Undefeated!'
    'My group of 4 will often take on 100+ with no problem. I have videos to prove it'
    'All the abilities on my keyboard require real skill to spam'
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe they were ever active in DAOC. Ive been in hardcore raiding guilds and had a very enjoyable experience. I also enjoy OTG with their playstyle. The officers set up some fun events and people either join or they don't. No pressure. No yelling at you for getting a raid wiped. Just fun! If you have to be away for a while for work or anything in real life there is no pressure. Just a good group of people who will welcome you when you get back. Want to jump around and play with other games? OTG is probably there. It's a gaming community and It's all about the fun. =)
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will say, the spotlight did inspire me to check out their website! I wish them the best of luck on ESO :)
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO
  • Tess_Phyreforge
    Tess_Phyreforge
    ✭✭✭
    The Old Timers Guild does have Guilds in most of the MMO's out there,
    Check out our forums and see all the games we have Guilds in.

I joined the guild in March 2007 and it has been a great guild.
    I've got to meet many great players in the past 7 years, I've had the pleasure of meeting some of them in real life.

I would call my fellow OTG'ers my 2nd family B)

Best thing about belonging to a guild like OTG is when a game fizzles out and the next new game comes in, the friends you've made in the guild will most likely play the new game too, I am so glad OTG's made it easy to do Intraguild transfer between games,

Edited by Tess_Phyreforge on June 12, 2014 5:57AM
  • Tyrra
    Tyrra
    Soul Shriven
    Met these folks in WoW (I was in TOG, a similarly structured meta-guild for older players). Good group of people, always enjoyed their company in battlegrounds, where maturity and respect were otherwise fairly rare.
  • DCGoth_OTG
    DCGoth_OTG
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »

I guess I could have been a bit more descriptive on the website link. The ability to join any of our chapters is located in the forums. Additionally, there is a link to the recruiting forums from the About Us section on the Main / Articles page.

I can also assist anyone that may have any questions; however, you will find most of the info on the OTG forums.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭

Actually the scary part is that they ARE PvP guild... check Alliance War forums.
    Indeed it is so...
  • DCGoth_OTG
    DCGoth_OTG
    ✭✭✭

Actually the scary part is that they ARE PvP guild... check Alliance War forums.

With the number of members we have had since early beta and beyond, we do our best to make the game enjoyable for everyone.

As someone mentioned earlier, we have a number of events each month that cater to playstyles that are represented among our members; however, people may choose to participate in one event, form another, or suggest things for upcoming months. There is never any pressure to play in a style that someone is not comfortable in playing.

We have two events officers tha focus on PvE events and contests. We have two PvP officers who gather people together for various PvP activities. It may be as simple as gathering shards or assisting newer players in the nuances of AvA, or it may be as involved as getting together and capturing a keep. Again, no one is ever pressured to participate or discouraged from joining.

We also have a hospitality officer who organizes a number of social events each month, as well as two crafting officers who hold crafting events. We are five traits away from having every crafting trait unlocked to the guild. Our crafting officers are also very helpful to members who would like to be more involved in crafting yet aren't sure where to start.

In short, we try to accomodate our entire member base, while doing our best to make everyone feel welcome and a part of the group.
  • medieval_TOG
    medieval_TOG
    ✭✭✭
    Been running with OTG for a couple of weeks now and have had no dramas at all. Great, friendly crowd and across all TZ's (Oceania here).
    Oh so you play on a console? Well this is a console game after-all I suppose.
  • nickszalinskieb17_ESO
    I have already been in a guild with age requirements and most of the members were guild-bank-robbers and borrowers-and-never-returners. Additionally, I wonder why no guilds accept only white people or something else like that. If you do not accept young people because they are statistically more often evil than older people, then why do you accept for example black people while some say they are more aggressive than others?

I say no for any forms of discrimination including age discrimination.
  • DCGoth_OTG
    DCGoth_OTG
    ✭✭✭
    I have already been in a guild with age requirements and most of the members were guild-bank-robbers and borrowers-and-never-returners. Additionally, I wonder why no guilds accept only white people or something else like that. If you do not accept young people because they are statistically more often evil than older people, then why do you accept for example black people while some say they are more aggressive than others?

We have never had any problems with our guild banks. We maintain a system that is fair and equitable for everyone and our members, as a rule, are very giving and helpful.

We often have a number of donations to the banks by our crafters and members are always helpful in creating items for others if someone needs a trait to research.

As far as our age requirement, this is a policy that was established at the guild's inception and is not meant to be exclusionary. We do have exceptions to the age requirement; however, the minimum age for exceptions is 18. In no way are any of our policies meant to discourage people from joining. We like to instill a sense to community where everyone may feel welcome and included.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a member awhile back - AgeOfConan and everything lapsed. I tried to get back on the site for another game (2-3 years ago) and apparently my membership info had been completely wiped. I tried all sorts of mechanisms to reregister(to get a new account), report my problem, and I was never successful at getting reconnected.
  • Tyrra
    Tyrra
    Soul Shriven

If you say no to any forms of discrimination including age, how do you reconcile your first sentence, where you discriminate against age by quoting a personal stereotype?
    I have already been in a guild with age requirements and most of the members were guild-bank-robbers and borrowers-and-never-returners.

Also,
    If you do not accept younger people because they are statistically more often evil than older people...
    Again, you're quoting your own interpretation of the age restriction. No one mentioned anything about younger players being "statistically more often evil".

The primary reason these guilds exist is to identify and group players with common interests. Older gamers are a minority group in most MMO's, and often find that they lack common ground in guilds with a majority population of younger members.

I've been in both types (age restricted and unrestricted) in various MMO's, and I'm in an unrestricted guild now in ESO. While I don't miss the age restriction in my current guild (due to an awesome leadership team there), an age-restricted guild saved my sanity in WoW. I had bounced around several unrestricted guilds and kept finding that I had nothing in common with the majority of the members, not just in terms of life experiences and interests, but also in terms of playstyle (including the constant interruptions of real life work and family commitments).
    Edited by Tyrra on June 13, 2014 3:12PM
  • ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

You have so many age restrictions in life. To drink you must be 21 yrs of age. To join the military, get married, you must be 18 though these two do have an exception. To become the Pres of the USA you must be atleast 35 and you MUST be a born citizen.

In this case the age restriction is more for maturity level. Yes there is some that are older who behave as if they are 10 yrs old and you do have some that are 16 that behave as if they are 35 yrs old. Both of these are also the exceptions and rarer than whats common. When is the last time that you know of 18 or 20 yr olds wanting to hang out with a 45 or 50 yr old. It would be very rare as the interests of the two age groups will differ greatly, even if you like some of the same activities.

As for gender, yes there is some girls in what would normally be for boys and vise-versa. But honestly when have you seen a 8 yr old boy brownie. Or a 8 yr old girl in the cub scouts Myself I never seen a boy brownie/girl scout selling cookies out in front of a local market/store. Have You?

Edited by ebunts14_ESO on June 13, 2014 4:54PM
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are all sorts of clubs that have age limits. Bars for example. Some of them are 18 to enter 21 to drink. Some are 21 to enter. There is no discrimination. If members in game meet and play with someone younger and find over time this person to be more mature then I have seen exceptions made. Just doesn't happen all that often.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • DCGoth_OTG
    DCGoth_OTG
    ✭✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »
    I was a member awhile back - AgeOfConan and everything lapsed. I tried to get back on the site for another game (2-3 years ago) and apparently my membership info had been completely wiped. I tried all sorts of mechanisms to reregister(to get a new account), report my problem, and I was never successful at getting reconnected.

I've accepted a few returning members. If it has been too long and your membership is not showing as a past member, all you need to do is apply through the recruitment forums for any of the games you play. You may mention past membership on your new app and should be back in the guild. If your info is no longer there you may also re-join under your old name.
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    Alphakil wrote: »
    Guild leader does not like dissent, so if you do not like his rules look elsewhere. he tells us where a faction can play and locks forums threads that he does not like.

This is not my experience. The only limitation we have on campaigns is to designate home campaigns for each faction so that we don't end up with guild members fighting each other.

As for locking forum threads, our guild motto is "Laid Back, Not Too Serious, No Drama, All About the Fun." and drama filled posts tend to be locked if they don't calm down on their own. Also, we have some very strict rules concerning breaking NDAs for games in development and other nasties (e.g., gold selling links). However, I haven't seen threads closed based on the personal opinions of the forum moderators.
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually this is a solid guild. I played DDO for 6 years and had nothing, and I stress nothing but positive interactions with their members.

Nice to see them playing here.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    DCGoth_OTG wrote: »
    zhevon wrote: »

I've accepted a few returning members. If it has been too long and your membership is not showing as a past member, all you need to do is apply through the recruitment forums for any of the games you play. You may mention past membership on your new app and should be back in the guild. If your info is no longer there you may also re-join under your old name.
    Thanks!
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭

With the number of members we have had since early beta and beyond, we do our best to make the game enjoyable for everyone.

In short, we try to accomodate our entire member base, while doing our best to make everyone feel welcome and a part of the group.

I don't understand "events". The campaign (at moment) is a 90-day "event". By attemping to "play all sides" of a campaign your guild destroys the very effort of PvP or "Why do we fight?" in the first place.

Cyrodiil PvP is supposed to be faction vs faction with server loyality on each. If you have guild members trying to kill each other IDK how that is even possible.
    Indeed it is so...
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand "events". The campaign (at moment) is a 90-day "event". By attemping to "play all sides" of a campaign your guild destroys the very effort of PvP or "Why do we fight?" in the first place.
    Which simply demonstrates faction-based PVP is hostile to friendly guilds of players who want to play together without the tyranny of stupid factions!

It's not a guild' fault, it poor game design that sacrifices community for the sake of the small numbers of want to feel superior to other players in a video game.