The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Nightblade Critical

Mendra
Mendra
✭✭
Everytime i find usefull informations about Nightblade "builds" and "how to play" something is missing :

Do someone knows which skill depends on Weapon Crit and which on Spell crit ?

It seem that the magika/stamina logic don't work, so if someone have a clue about that i take it !
Edited by Mendra on May 29, 2014 7:14PM
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    They really need to make sense of these attributes, because its quite misleading.
    I'd like a definitive answer myself.
    Although i haven't ever really worried about it. I just gear up, make sure my weapon and spell damage are pretty even, make sure i have some crit % in both.
    When i gear up like this (thinking "hybrid") i haven't had much difficulty. I'm about a quarter through level VR1, stuff isn't terrible yet, at least not like I've read on the boards for NightBlades.

I am a fairly magika based build though, with a fair amount of HP for a caster. 30 Magika/19 Health/0 Stamina 2 Heavy (chest & legs)/5 Light with a Destro staff and Resto Staff.
  • plaxy186
    plaxy186
    Although with most the nightblade abilities and one important one Shadowy Disguise. You shouldn't be focusing on critical should be focusing on raw damage. Well played nightblade Critz even with 0 in the crit fields. Wonder why cloth nightblade out damages your leather wearing one. He can spam shadowy disguise and veiled strike 5 times as often hits just as hard or harder on each hit.
  • Frinkles
    Frinkles
    ✭✭
    plaxy186 wrote: »
    Although with most the nightblade abilities and one important one Shadowy Disguise. You shouldn't be focusing on critical should be focusing on raw damage. Well played nightblade Critz even with 0 in the crit fields. Wonder why cloth nightblade out damages your leather wearing one. He can spam shadowy disguise and veiled strike 5 times as often hits just as hard or harder on each hit.

Ok Q. Does Shadowy disguise work? I remember before the patch testing it with veiled strike and it wouldn't crit...

I have since opted for the dispel, but if its fixed I would gladly go back to it.
  • plaxy186
    plaxy186
    Yes both skills veiled strike and killerblade/Impale actually crit . Although until fix don't use dots as those will mess over your shadowy disguise and near back to back crit guarentee.

EDIT. Love auto correct on my phone...
    Edited by plaxy186 on May 30, 2014 5:15AM
  • Ilterendi
    Ilterendi
    ✭✭✭
    Yes both skills veiled strike and killerblade/Impale actually crit . Although until fix don't use dots as those will mess over your shadowy disguise and near back to back crit guarentee.

I've been using blood craze successfully without it breaking my stealth now. This wasn't always the case, recent undocumented update? Venom Arrow and Acid Spray DOES break my stealth however.
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    I agree but for exemple when i launch a fight with 3/4 mob, i use Ambush being hidden and then the shadowy disguise/veiled strike mechanism.

Between a crit ambush and a non-crit ambush it's 1k dmg that you loose. On that kind of fight it can be deadly.

That and the fact that i don't particulary love that way to fight and other dps nightblade build could be good too.

It's why I wanted to know the exact list of ability and their crit types. Because even if shadowy disguise and the thief stone seem to give crit in all way, i was thinking about crafted sets that gives 5% spell crit for exemple. To know if it's a good idea, first you need to know if you are going to use spell crit ability.

@plaxy186 I don't think that raw dmg is on the opposite side as crit chance : Raw dmg is mailny about max stamina and max magika.. Yes there are tricks and little things that can improve dmg, but still i have room to improve crit too, so no focusing on one don't mean you aren't focusing on the other one.
  • plaxy186
    plaxy186
    to answer though it seem assassin and shadows damage skills work off physical crit and siphoning work off spell crit.

Basically what I'm saying is go light armor. The assassination/shadow work best with ambushing and disguise striking meaning crit chance is of minimal use . Maybe some leather to decrease detect radius while stealthing. You'll just gain so much more by reducing cost of your abilities.

Also shadow mundus (increase crit damage) again serve ya better.

And if you aren't sneak attacking or being a bloodmage. There are better classes for that ie DK
  • GwaynLoki
    GwaynLoki
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka-based attacks' damage increases the more magicka you have. Melee-ranged (6 or 7m) magicka-using abilities on NB use the weapon crit-% while everything further uses spell crit-%.

Post #10 here:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/question-spellcrit-vs-weaponcrit-how-do-i-know-which-one-applies/

Good news: Medium armor gives weapon crit%. Bad news: Light armor is better for magicka-management - and your skills mostly use magicka.
    Edited by GwaynLoki on June 1, 2014 3:29PM
  • leovuoeb17_ESO
    Ilterendi wrote: »

I've been using blood craze successfully without it breaking my stealth now. This wasn't always the case, recent undocumented update? Venom Arrow and Acid Spray DOES break my stealth however.

Venom arrow does not break stealth. Blood craze never did.
  • Ilterendi
    Ilterendi
    ✭✭✭
    Ilterendi wrote: »

Venom arrow does not break stealth. Blood craze never did.

Odd. Blood Craze has broken my stealth. As Venom Arrow does now. Maybe it just needs a relog for me.
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    Thx for those comments. I was quite sure you had to play your NB with a mix of medium and light armor.

Now if the best is 5m/2l or 2l/5m is hard to tell, i think it's more about everyone experience because there is good bonuses on the two sides.

I was not aware that some skill would not break the shadow, as i am still wondering how some ppl can mark if i am hidden...

A skill that is not breaking stealth means that it doesn't break hidden state too ?

About the crit i work with assasination/shadow mostly so i think i need more weapon-crit and max magika.

But still vigour is important for stealth/ run/ do the wheel^^. And of course you have to use your weapon too.

I could now spare the spell crit it seems