The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

One Hand and Shield Dragonknight PvE Tanking Guide

warmheart
warmheart
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone! First I want to say I am from China, and English is not my mother language. Thus sometimes I can't express myself well in English, and I am sorry if it is hard for someone to follow my article.

In my dragonknight tank build, both weapons for swapping are " one hand and shield" for its great mitigation and stamina-saving properties, and stamina is very important for tank to dodge or mitigate damages.

Highly recommended passive skills of one hand and shield :
1. Fortress: reduce the cost of blocking by 30%;
2. Sword and board: increase block mitigation by 15%;
3. Deflect Bolts: Block additional 15% damage from projectiles and ranged attacks;

Armor : 7 heavy armors. In this case, you won't worry about your armor and spell resist anymore for the bonuses from passive skills of heavy armor tree, and I don't think 5 heavy + 2 light build makes any sense for its poor bonuses.

Highly recommended skills of one hand and shield :
1. Resolve: increase Armor by 3% and base spell resist by 3% for each piece of heavy armor equipped;
2. Bracing: Decrease cost of blocking by 20% when a heavy armor set 5 or more pieces is equipped;

I don't think the skill Immovable is necessary for a 7 heavy armor dragonknight who have enough armor and spell resist, and the stamina cost is too much that I think Bash is a better choice to remove those debuffs such as stun.

Stats: 49 Health

Action bar 1 (for single target) :

1. Puncture-Pierce armor: Taunt target for 15 seconds; Reduce target's armor and spell resist by 40%, and it's very useful to your mates who want to output tons of damage.
2. Inner fire- Inner beast: Taunt target for 15 seconds, and this skill is very important on two points. First, it costs magicka which can lessen your stress when you're almost out of stamina or need to spare stamina for next heavy attack from the boss. Second, inner beast is a ranged taunt, and it would be useful in some specific conditions such as boss kite.
3. Defensive stance-Absorb magic: Absorbs next spell projectile and grants Health gain equal to 110% of spell's damage when activated. Increases Block mitigation by 8% and reduces Block cost by 8% when slotted. This skill is very useful when confronting magic bosses, especially when you don't have enough mana to use Green dragon blood, and even the normal attacks from magic bosses can restore noticeable health amount for you under this buff.
4. Obsidian shield-Igneous shield: Creates point damage shield for 20 seconds on all nearby allies. Shield strength is increased by 100% on caster. The skill is used when your mates are of low health and can greatly lessen the stress of healers at that moment. Also Igneous shield can be used when you know there is a boss AOE coming.
5. Green Dragon Blood: Heals for 33% of missing Health. Increases Health Recovery by 40% and Stamina Recovery by 30% for 20 seconds. This is the core skill of dragonknight, and every eligible drangonknight tank must put this skill on his action bar.
Ultimate skill. Magma Armor- Magma Shell: Caps incoming damage at 3% Max Health for 12 seconds. Allies may activate the Protective Shell synergy, granting a damage shield for 85% of their Max Health. Great skill for protecting you and your mates from single boss attack.

Action bar 2 (for trash tank):

1. Dark talons- Burning talons: Great crowd control skill, and also of considerable AOE damage. With this skill, you can make it more convenient for your mates to output damage.
2. Ash cloud- Cinder Storm: Snares the enemies for 70% and increase their miss chance by 30%. The skill is also very useful to protect you and your mates.
3. Petrify : Stuns a certain enemy up to 15 seconds. You can use this skill to control a certain mop-healer or ranged mop who is out of your damage zone. Rational utilization of skills like this makes you a good tank.
4. Shield charge- Shield assault: charges to target and create a damage shield. It enables you to get close to mops quickly, keeping the mops standing where they were and rooting them with talons before they attack your mates.
5. Green Dragon Blood: You need also put the very important skill on this action bar, because sometimes you don't have enough time to swap to the other action bar to use Green Dragon Blood before you die.
Ultimate skill. Dragon standard- Standard of might: Enemies take Fire Damage every second and receive 50% less healing for 15 seconds, while on Standard of Might. Player deals 35% more damage and takes 35% less damage, while on Standard of Might. An ally may activate the Shackle synergy, damaging and immobilizing enemies in the area. Great skill for dealing tons of damage, and also giving you 35% damage mitigation.

Other useful passive skills:

1. Searing heart: Increases damage 3% and duration 2 seconds of Fiery Breath, Searing Strike and Dragonknight Standard abilities. The skill can increase the duration of Dragon Standard.
2. Iron Skin: Block an additional 10% damage.
3. Scaled Armor: Increases Spell resist.
4. Battle roar: highly recommended! Restores Health, Magicka, and Stamina. Restore amount increased by 70% of the Ultimate's cost. With this skill, you can gain large amount of health, stamina, magicka instantly when using ultimate skills, and reverse the whole situation during the boss combat from heading failure.

At last, welcome to China, our beautiful country!

Edited by warmheart on May 26, 2014 3:10PM