Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS low why?

FlyingPenguin
FlyingPenguin
✭✭
I have yet yo under stand why I get crappy fps in this game. As well as the ocassional lag and stutter.

Rig

I5 4670k CPU
Evga gtx 780 gpu
850 watt corsair Psu
LG 29" 21:9 aspect ratio love this ultra widescreen btw as well as a 32" Samsung TV which I have tried disconnecting to see if it fixes problem.
Mono is good don't know name as I'm at work. But it's a high end one.
16gb of corsair vengeance ram.
Great case that has good airflow.
Never overheat anything. Running 9 140mm fans.
Gpu seems more stable now it was like a heart beat monitor -_- but changed out gpu it did catch fire well started to smoke.

Done a clean install of everything have the newest driver for gpu released few days ago.
Playing on ultra by the way and will not lower settings! As this PC should run it with out a problem. Only thing on this PC is this game.
Also second screen goes black idk why customer service couldn't fix it.
Using sweetfx and yes I did try running without it.
But damn makes this game look so much better.

I don't understand I have seen people with not as good rigs run this game better than I have yet to. O_o how is that possible.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    What resolution do you play at? And what are the specs on your motherboard?
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Resolution is 2450 or something by 1080 at work so don't have specs on mobo all I know from top of head is that it's gigabyte a ga z87x ud5h I believe
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Redo mite be 2350x 1080 something like that
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Mobo specs aren't needed then. Any z87 ud5 from GB should have plenty of bus to ensure you aren't bottlenecking your cpu/gpu with a cheap mobo.

As unlikely as it seems though, you might be seeing a bottleneck at the Ultra-HD resolution you are using. Have you tried lowering the resolution to 1080p to see how it does?

Most of the rigs I've seen with that monitor and resolution are running a 780 ti for those resolutions with a single gpu. You could just be running out of video memory during rendering and it's having to shuffle data between the swap file and the gpu's memory. I'm not the best when it comes to Ultra HD though, so I could be wrong. If you don't get any better answers here, do a google search for Overclockers.net and check out their forums. That's usually where I go when I have games that aren't performing as well as I think they should. They typically have forums dedicated to a particular GPU or CPU and enough highly knowledgeable users in those groups to troubleshoot these problems more effectively.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orizuru wrote: »
    Mobo specs aren't needed then. Any z87 ud5 from GB should have plenty of bus to ensure you aren't bottlenecking your cpu/gpu with a cheap mobo.

As unlikely as it seems though, you might be seeing a bottleneck at the Ultra-HD resolution you are using. Have you tried lowering the resolution to 1080p to see how it does?

Most of the rigs I've seen with that monitor and resolution are running a 780 ti for those resolutions with a single gpu. You could just be running out of video memory during rendering and it's having to shuffle data between the swap file and the gpu's memory. I'm not the best when it comes to Ultra HD though, so I could be wrong. If you don't get any better answers here, do a google search for Overclockers.net and check out their forums. That's usually where I go when I have games that aren't performing as well as I think they should. They typically have forums dedicated to a particular GPU or CPU and enough highly knowledgeable users in those groups to troubleshoot these problems more effectively.

This. There is no single video card in existence that can get playable framerates at 4k (3840x2160) unless it is an old game like WOW that doesn't stress the GPU much. You need 3 780's, or 2 780ti's in SLI to get playable framerates at that resolution. And that is assuming a moderate game like ESO. If you want to do something like, play Crysis 3 on ultra at 3840x2160...well let's just say I know someone who has 4 Titans in SLI and still drops to 30-40FPS.

Current-gen video cards are not capable of handling 4k with just one card. Maybe the next gen (when the 20nm cards hit) will do better, we'll see. But a 4k monitor has 4 times as many pixels as a 1080p monitor, it's just too much even for a 780ti.
    Edited by Saerydoth on May 28, 2014 7:00PM
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    @saerydoth I don't think he was wanting 4k res. He really isn't even using 1440p. It's the oddball ultra wide resolution that is somewhere between 1080p and 1440p.

A single 780 should be able to handle that I think, but I can't be sure because there are so few people running that res to benchmark it properly.

It could just be he's using a resolution that isn't native to the game as well.
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orizuru wrote: »
    @saerydoth I don't think he was wanting 4k res. He really isn't even using 1440p. It's the oddball ultra wide resolution that is somewhere between 1080p and 1440p.

A single 780 should be able to handle that I think, but I can't be sure because there are so few people running that res to benchmark it properly.

It could just be he's using a resolution that isn't native to the game as well.

Ahh ok...yeah, a 780 should handle that ok. The OP also didn't specify what "crappy FPS" is. Doesn't really change the fact that today's video cards are designed for 1080p though, and you have to get REALLY high end enthusiast cards to handle 1440p.
    Edited by Saerydoth on May 28, 2014 8:40PM
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Ok so i finally got home. I can now provide better information on the specs of my rig. as well as the problems. Crappy FPS is dropping to 35-45 why cant i hold a steady 59-60 fps with out dropping unless in PVP. when it drops it causes stutters and major lag. Im all about quality over performance. But I usually build my rigs to be able to give me both. I just noticed bios was last updated in 2013 im not comfortable with updating a bios so last resort as it can brick it.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z87X-UD5H
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/02/13 22:12:30 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16272MB RAM
    Page File: 1955MB used, 30584MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 780
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004&SUBSYS_07843842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4095 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2994 MB
    Shared Memory: 1101 MB
    Current Mode: 2560 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: LG ULTRAWIDE
    Monitor Id: GSM5A2A
    Native Mode: 2560 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HDMI
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3788 (English)
    Driver Version: 9.18.13.3788
    DDI Version: 11
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 5/19/2014 21:44:03, 17480432 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Okay so now that im not typing this from a phone.
    Basically I was getting screen tearing pretty bad so now that we have true full screen Vsync is being used to solve that problem.
    I have noticed that a lot of lower rigs can run this game maxed and get better fps.
    SO im wondering why if I have the better rig am i not getting these type of fps seen people getting a steady 80 or never going below 60 un less in PVP cause come on thats just insane.
    Edited by FlyingPenguin on May 28, 2014 11:09PM
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    grr wouldnt let me not post so ignor this comment.
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Still looking for fix. Or some tweaks thabks
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Still looking for fix. Or some tweaks thabks

I think the next thing you need to do is rule out the ultra-wide resolution you are using to ensure that it's not the problem.

Do you have a standard 1080p monitor you could use to test this? If not, you might be able to do with your ultra-wide monitor, but the screen is going to be stretched to fit horizontally, or you may have black bars down each side of the screen.

The ultra-wide resolution you are using is often unsupported in a lot of games. If you could try playing at 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 60hz) and see if the problem improves, then I think that should help determine if the problem is in the way the game client supports the resolution you are trying to use. If you still have problems at 1080p, then I would check the temps on your gpu/cpu to make sure you aren't being throttled due to excessive heat, which could indicate a potential airflow or other cooling problem; this doesn't seem likely from the way you describe your rig though, and if this were the case, you would probably be having problems in other games as well. That said though, it may not hurt to install a different game and see how it performs. I've found the latest Tomb Raider game to be excellent for performance testing and benchmarking if you own it. Any recently released game will do though, I just recommend Tomb Raider because it has some benchmarking tools built into the game and makes full use of most of the features offered in high-end video cards on the market today. Just make sure the game you are testing with uses the same version of DirectX that ESO uses to get a more accurate picture of things.

I still think the guys at OCN (overclockers.net) might be able to help you more than I can though. I'm an experienced builder, but you have a configuration of hardware that is outside my experience due to the ultra-wide resolution you are using. That or some other ESO players here that are using the same resolution that you are using.
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    I did hook it back up to my other monitor which ran at a lot lower of a resolution lower than 1080p and still got the same problem. Temp wise max it goes is 66c which is after a 6 hour session for my gpu. CPU never goes above 55c on any of my cores. As I always have monitors running to rul that out. As well as my vrm temps are staying cool to. I did post on OC forums week ago. Not much help few people replied with things that I have already tried. Currently eso is working on my issue as well. The monitor is set to its native resolution. Haven't tried turning this monitor down as would defeat the purpose of having it. Pulse other lower res monitor had same issues which is why I bought a better one. Figured old one. Couldn't handle the work that my gpu was sending to it.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could help more. I agree, you should be getting better performance than you are currently.

I hope you find a solution soon!
    Edited by Orizuru on May 29, 2014 6:05PM
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Seems my Ultra wide isp monitor is not supported at its native resolution.
    Refuse to drop as it will not correct the aspect ratio correctly or at least doesn't look like it does. other is a odd ball resolution that isnt supported either even though it is a lower resolution it still isnt in the supported list. I think we need a update for higher resolution monitor support. As many are switching to these gaming monitor and higher resolution monitors. I mean this is 2014 we dont just use 1080 anymore thats getting old. and if this game is going to be around for years it need a reso update soon. IDK what to do at this point.. Cant afford a new monitor and can not return this one anymore. UHGGGG ESO is starting to drain me. Spent more time trying to fix this game than actually play it lol. Maybe i should downgrade to lower end pc as those seem to run this perfect.. sigh
    Edited by FlyingPenguin on May 30, 2014 2:15AM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems my Ultra wide isp monitor is not supported at its native resolution.
    Refuse to drop as it will not correct the aspect ratio correctly or at least doesn't look like it does. other is a odd ball resolution that isnt supported either even though it is a lower resolution it still isnt in the supported list. I think we need a update for higher resolution monitor support. As many are switching to these gaming monitor and higher resolution monitors. I mean this is 2014 we dont just use 1080 anymore thats getting old. and if this game is going to be around for years it need a reso update soon. IDK what to do at this point.. Cant afford a new monitor and can not return this one anymore. UHGGGG ESO is starting to drain me. Spent more time trying to fix this game than actually play it lol. Maybe i should downgrade to lower end pc as those seem to run this perfect.. sigh

I just bought a 1080p . :(

And my PC isn't running it perfect either. Been getting a lot of poor performance since the patch. I'm running much lower specs than you.

They fixed the memory leak but now my framerate sits between 20-30 fps(don't pvp, no Cyrodiil) regardless of what my video settings are at so I feel your pain and confusion. And when I say "regardless", that's what I mean. I get the same performance with the lowest and highest settings it'll let me set....
  • yotanut
    yotanut
    ✭✭✭
    I am also experiencing video lag/stutter. I was playing yesterday and noticed that my FPS seems to stutter as soon as I land killing blows on enemies. It is fine for the first few minutes, then it starts getting worse. I am running a GTX780 SC and should be able to handle this game no problem.

I turned on my fps counter via /fps command, and when this lag happens I can see it go from 100.0 down to 75 - 85 then back up to 100.0 after one second. If I turn on v-sync it caps me at 60.0 and when this happens it will drop me into the 40-45 range then comes back up to 60.0 after one second. For me it was mostly only doing it when I was landing the killing blows on enemies. During this time, I am also monitoring my CPU and Memory usage via Logitech keyboard, and there is no spikes during this time, just loss of fps.

I am running the latest NVIDIA driver version, and did a clean installation of it. I also installed my EVGA GTX480, and it was doing the exact same thing. Anyone else having this issue, or how to fix this garbage?

My Setup:
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    Intel i5 2500k
    EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    4 x 4GB CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
    1 x Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC (SSD) - Operating System and ESO
    1 x WD 500G SATA - Storage
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    1920x1080 Resolution

Add-ons:
    Foundry Tactical Combat
    SkyShards
    SousChef
    HarvestMap
    Zygor Guides
    Guild Store Search
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    We have the same video card. idk dude seems to have gotten a bit better lately but I'm using radionpro to cap fps. and nvidia controls to run vsynce seemed to help me but. till they get my resolution in the game ill never get that smooth game play i want. A GTX 780 sc should be able to max this game with a 4th gen i5 4670k this is ridicules. idk maybe i just got used to it and dont notice anymore...... try running sweetfx 1.4 for better graphics without losing fps. I run on ultra and use that and game looks amazing.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is your CPU overclocked? 4 GHz should be easily doable, but I know of people that went to 4.5. Only do it if you know how and have the cooling solution for it, else your CPU will be toast especially now with the hot temperatures in Europe ;)

That said,

I honestly don't know anyone running a steady 100 FPS at ESO on Ultra and Full HD, pretty much everyone will drop down to 40 or less in pvp and crowded area´s. Our CPU´s bottleneck before our GPU´s do, that's a common issue in any MMO.

We all have those wonderful quad cores, but MMO´s don't utilize them and / or still run on directx instead of Mantle. WS, SWTOR they all got their forums full of complaints especially from AMD FX users.

You can try the OC, but I doubt you will get your 100 FPS at all times. I think 50 are realistic on a top rig with slight OC and a GPU not worse than a 280 or 770TI - but you can probably go below that.

Real high end GPU´s only matter for resolutions above full HD, but unless you are working in that business there is no real need to go that high in my opinion. ;)
    Most games prolly don't even have the textures for it, like SWTOR that doesn't even have HD :D
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    That confused me a bit. XD don't think anyone here is wanting. 100 fps just a steady 60. And with a 4th gen i5 I shouldn't have to over clock anything. Personal opinion and experience. And the main problem is my ultra wide resolution 2560x1080 is not supported by this game. Over all game is fun. Just isn't tuned to run smoothly on a good rig.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That confused me a bit. XD don't think anyone here is wanting. 100 fps just a steady 60. And with a 4th gen i5 I shouldn't have to over clock anything. Personal opinion and experience. And the main problem is my ultra wide resolution 2560x1080 is not supported by this game. Over all game is fun. Just isn't tuned to run smoothly on a good rig.

I fully agree, you should not need to OC - but sadly are most MMO´s CPU limited. :( While playing Crysis or BF works like a charm, MMO´s always suffer.

I remember how "crap" Wow did run before they added the second and third thread - it was an FPS boost of about 20-30 on Ultra. We can all only hope that the Dev´s at ESO are able to do something about the threading, I am sure they are aware of the problem in regards of that.

That your resolution isn't supported is a pity, however I do believe that 1080p is still pretty much what most people use in gaming so it is understandable that ZO did not consider that resolution. As someone else suggested, I would advice to try and play at 1080p, I also have a Samsung TV at home and it runs really smooth. ;)
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Well I play in windowed mode as I run dual monitors. For doing work and monitoring temps. My buggiest problem is I read in every forum that lower end rigs can run this game smoothing than a higher end one. I know mine isn't great but it's up there. So why is it older CPU and older gpu mobo can run this smoother than me. Think we need to stop focusing on making it run good on old hardware. And make sure it runs damn good on good rigs. As for my tv it's to old to handle the gpu causes tearing even with vaync it's about 4 years old maybe 3. And when I lower resolution it doesn't composite to well since it's a ultra wide screen.
  • Jarnhand
    Jarnhand
    ✭✭✭
    At even 1080p you will stress your system a lot, most likely about 20 fps in big fights. But should easily hold about 80+ fps in solo adventuring.
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    Never had it that bad now. Even in cyridill get at least 40. But it's out in the wild of pve that I drop to 40-50 now
  • FlyingPenguin
    FlyingPenguin
    ✭✭
    1080 shouldn't stress my system at all. As stated above most people are running at 1080. So gpu are made to easily run 1080 nowadays
  • yotanut
    yotanut
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I still have the same setup as listed in the OP and still have stutter issues. Anyone else having problems with this still?

I can go from 100 FPS or 60 FPS (VSync), and hitting my map button drops my FPS about 20%, stutters, and then recovers. It also does this randomly while riding on my horse too. I run this game at "High" settings, but with this setup I would think the game would be running without stutters and very smooth at Ultra, let alone High.

My Setup:
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    Intel i5 2500k @ Stock Speed
    EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX
    Seasonic X-850 PSU
    4 x 4GB CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
    1 x Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC (SSD) - Operating System and ESO
    1 x WD 500G SATA - Storage
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    1920x1200 Resolution

Add-ons:
    Foundry Tactical Combat
    SkyShards
    SousChef
    HarvestMap
    Zygor Guides
  • tomiffseb17_ESO
    Audigy wrote: »

I remember how "crap" Wow did run before they added the second and third thread - it was an FPS boost of about 20-30 on Ultra. We can all only hope that the Dev´s at ESO are able to do something about the threading, I am sure they are aware of the problem in regards of that.

Hey do you remember me? I was the guy with the complains with his fx8350. I dont think the devs actually care about this. Game is released almost one year ago and we had zero reply / comment about this specific issue. I am still waiting for the console release maybe that will do the miracle but i gave my hopes up completly. 1.6 on pts i had equal usage on four cores each time i entirely removed the ptseu folder. Worked nice for a few minutes then its went maxed one core again. I have seen so many and so different in cpu usage characteristic in the past months i think no one is actually know how is it works anymore. But i am pretty the OPs problem is related to the cpu aswell.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an FX 8350 not Overclocked, and i get good FPS. I use vsync so i get 60 in most places, 35-45 in towns (but its smooth as butter), and im playing at 2560x1440 resolution which is WQHD.

As of patch 1.5 i get higher FPS and higher min frame rate then my buddy with an i5-4670k. Since all the consoles are running AMD hardware, and i have an AMD CPU and GPU, i would guess their are some AMD specific optimizations in the code now, because this game runs much, much better on AMD hardware then it did at launch. My buddy was getting much better performance then me on Intel early on, but now the tables have flipped.

I can hold around 30 FPS in large keep battles, the lag comes from the server side. if the server wasn't laggy, FPS wise it would be totally playable.

Honestly, i think it comes down to the fact that Nvidia didn't take the console bid seriously and got locked out of the consoles for the first time in a long time, so now that AMD hardware is in both, games are going to be optimized for AMD GPU and CPU now, allowing AMD CPU to compete with Intel(due to taking advantage of specific CPU instruction sets patented and exclusive to AMD)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-mantle-performance-benchmark,3860-4.html

As you can see in that test, EVERY game that uses Mantle AMD beats Intel. The AMD 4170 which is dirt cheap, under 100 bucks beats the i7-4770k in all the Mantle tests.

The kicker?

DirectX12 IS MANTLE pretty much. thats why AMD recently shelved it...MS adopted Mantle into DirectX 12, i see DirectX12 as more of a Mantle extension then anything...this means...all those CPU instructions sets that are EXCLUSIVE to AMD will now be leveraged and Intel will never have access to these unless they pay AMD if AMD is even interested that is. ..now that developers have seen the insane performance increases this provides (8 times as many CPU draw calls),. and now that all the consoles have AMD hardware, and all support these instruction sets...well...the writing is on the wall...AMD essentially cut Intel off at the knees now future games can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost.

Where does this leave Nvidia? out in the cold...8 out of 10 games are console ports, they won't be optimized for Nvidia this gen because none of the consoles have Nvidia hardware. This means all future games(including ESO) will run better on AMD hardware because its optimized for it.

All the folks i know that have problems with crashing and such are all running Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.

All those i know on AMD hardware with the latest drivers are not having nearly the issues, i haven't crashed once now in over 3 months.....and i ahve a lot of addons too....i can play in Cyrodiil for hours and not crash....AMD hardware is money for this game now, no ands, ifs, or buts about it. Makes sense considering 1.6 is a console port aimed release.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak