Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

21/395 guild members online on Saturday. You're sinking ESO.

• martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3/48 here, very worrying.

I actually really like this game and want it to succeed.

Put simply I think the vet grind is too long and too reliant on questing. We need other grind options to break it up a bit.

one of the complaints I have heard is that people think the game is too solo and anonymous. Controversial but no nameplates, no auction house, user names being seen, all feel a bit weird.

I think more itemisation and unique items from dungeons would encourage people to group more.

One of the things about nameplates is you get to know the pro players. If you can inspect them you can see their gear. You see a unique item and you say "I want that shiny". Then you run the instance regularly to get it. Also we need other incentives at the moment achievement points - what does that give ?
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
    Options
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the old "the game is dying because my guild is dying" trope.

What would an MMO forum be without those?
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
    Options
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guild the Daggerfall Authority (EU) is quite active out of 100+ members 50% is online each day 2/3 quite often.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    Options
  • Mendra
    Mendra
    ✭✭
    DireKit wrote: »
    This Community is the most hilariously negative We've ever seen in the history of our time playing MMO's and We've been playing for years. It's hilarious how much doom-saying is going on when the games only been released for a few months now.

That. You can't even argue with those ppl.

You could say that some number of sub are really needed to keep the game running.
    You could say that this is the launch part of that game and so some just bought the game for tring, playing few time.
    You could even say that he is wrong.

You could say a lot of thing, but this is useless because this is not a talk, this is just doom-saying .
    Edited by Mendra on May 31, 2014 4:18PM
    Options
  • DireKit
    DireKit
    ✭✭✭
    DireKit wrote: »
    This Community is the most hilariously negative We've ever seen in the history of our time playing MMO's and We've been playing for years. It's hilarious how much doom-saying is going on when the games only been released for a few months now.

Every game is dying, according to its own community.

Yea, but this one is ☆★*~°;SPeCiAL;°~*★☆

:)

It's extra doom-ey!
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it's more like this.

Someone made a guild and spammed zone chat to recruit as many members as they could during the first month of gameplay. Lots of people who wanted to get into a guild signed up, a month later they realised this game wasn't for them and left.
    Now that guild has has fallen on hard times because recruitment wasn't kept up, there was no community or active work to make sure members had content.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    subecsanur wrote: »
    Lol, no this was based on Friday and Saturday night CST (prime time) NA server. Don't tell me you don't notice this, even in starter zones now, waiting to do a Public Dungeon boss to get 1 skill point, waiting for someone to come is common.
    Gone are the days where you see those just hanging around to kill the boss to even help.

The bot farming deterant worked but it didn't help regular players either. Bots prevail.

Those bosses are soloable...

Options
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3/48 here, very worrying.

I actually really like this game and want it to succeed.

Put simply I think the vet grind is too long and too reliant on questing. We need other grind options to break it up a bit.

one of the complaints I have heard is that people think the game is too solo and anonymous. Controversial but no nameplates, no auction house, user names being seen, all feel a bit weird.

I think more itemisation and unique items from dungeons would encourage people to group more.

One of the things about nameplates is you get to know the pro players. If you can inspect them you can see their gear. You see a unique item and you say "I want that shiny". Then you run the instance regularly to get it. Also we need other incentives at the moment achievement points - what does that give ?

Completely agree...

I always enjoyed (especially when I was a lowbie) inspecting the "bad@$$" max level players w/ the sweet gear.

Also, it's nice to be able to recognize other players that you see frequently.

"Oh hey, there's such'n'such owning ppl in PvP again. That dudes beast".

That's certainly one thing that I think would help the community become ya know... a community.

The only way you ever recognize players in this game is via /zone... That's weak.
    Options
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont understand what server you are playing on, because ALL the cities ive been to are FULLER now than at launch, yes even Davons Watch bank is now so full that I cant see the banker anymore, its never been this much players.
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
    Options
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    Lol, no this was based on Friday and Saturday night CST (prime time) NA server. Don't tell me you don't notice this, even in starter zones now, waiting to do a Public Dungeon boss to get 1 skill point, waiting for someone to come is common.
    Gone are the days where you see those just hanging around to kill the boss to even help.

The bot farming deterant worked but it didn't help regular players either. Bots prevail.

Relevance?

In fairness, I think making an assumption either way is unwise. Assumptions generally are.

I think the Wildstar theory has merit, and for sure people will rage there as they have here, some with valid reasons, others not so.

But, yes, the game is dropping off since 1st month, and yes that always happens. Even so, I can understand questions about the future. I don't know, but it does seem as though larger crowds up and leave from MMO to another, not to return. Can I point to any figures? No, I can't.

Come the end of the third month we will have a good scope on how large the community is, and who they mostly are. Some may come back from Wildstar, after a few weeks.

Another thing, is I have not seen much drop in my most active guilds since Wildstar Early Access. But, I think it is simple as some of us are in guilds that were not attracted by it.
    Options
  • cf398ub17_ESO
    cf398ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i only ever see people in crag now but i still see tons of people in the lower levels
    it seems the vets are dwindling out
    Options
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the adventure guild I am a member of is losing on the average of five members a day due to 31 days or more inactive. In other words, they have left the game altogether. The three trading guilds I am a member of used to be almost always capped at 500 members; now, they pretty much always have open slots.

One can draw one's own conclusions from these observations. They are just my experiences over the past few weeks.
    Options
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilandred wrote: »
    bg22 wrote: »
    This community is the worst I've ever seen, and it's in part of players that make remarks at the end of every post they make just like you did.

Are you so socially *** that you cannot contribute to a thread w/o adding a insult to the end of it?

Wtf, man?

And how exactly does this thread contribute to anything? Does ZOS only know population numbers based on what someone says is happening to their guild or friend numbers? Please. This is another doom and gloom thread meant to cause controversy and/or sensationalism.

Maybe add a comment on what could help?
    Regardless, I didn't insult any players directly. That's what I'm talking about.

90% of the ppl in these forums click on a thread, don't even read the OP, type something which is usually completely irrelevant, and then adds some "macho-nerd" comment at the end of the post.

*pushes glasses up w/ pointer finger* "Go back under your momma's blanket and L2P you worthless nub!" *haha-snort-wheeze* *grab inhaler*
    Options
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Locusts migrate. Here they exploited the bejeezus out of ESO. Apparently their guild leaders convinced the developers that the game has to present more challenge for their character (as supplemented by three botted alts) if the game was to have a hope of retaining those guilds.

In response Zen buffed key quest bosses and buffed Cyrodiil mobs to VR5. everything in the game, except non-instanced PvE, was 'fine-tuned' for the very people most likely to migrate to the next 'new' game.

So now the rest of the players, the ones who would actually like to play through the story, are faced with obstructions in the place of quests, which will lock many out of veteran ranks. That locks them out of viability in Cyrodiil even more laughably than the 'virtual 50' does at L10.

Yet those big guilds are the ones listened to during development because they control so many players. The ones that migrated from every single other MMO game as soon as they threw the intended balance in those out of whack. Their performance metrics that were min-maxed to the nth degree skewed the metrics, and try as they might the dev analysts find that even though the players are gone the numbers they left behind remain... so nothing looks like it needs fixing except for the aberration that nobody who isn't min-maxed can complete the main quest line.

Those of us who will be left, will be left an unplayable game unless we min-max and script our combat routines just like those locusts who are now swarming Wildstar. And they will leave Wildstar once they have thrown that one into the dumpster as well.

Those who urge that the difficulty is fine and urge that the megaguilds need more content instead are speaking from self-interest, just as I am. But they will leave of their own volition, where I am being run off by what has happened in the game design.

I guess it is a good thing for Zenimax that I bought 180 days of subscription. Maybe they can turn it around before I give up. Time spent being frustrated rather than adventuring and growing is wasted time on top of that 180 day sub. What is my return for this expense?

But the big guilds invested in fostering group dependency that you built the game for are not going to be around to consume the product, and the design is frustrating for people like me.
    Edited by silent88b14_ESO on May 31, 2014 4:56PM
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
    Options
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lodestar wrote: »

Relevance?

People don't generally wait around for help on things they can solo.
    Options
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭
    *pushes glasses up w/ pointer finger* "Go back under your momma's blanket and L2P you worthless nub!" *haha-snort-wheeze* *grab inhaler*

Wow that was a great impression. I thought you were just like one of them. Very convincing. :)
    Options
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have another suspicion.

A lot of people got to VR10 in the first month. I've seen people denying it, but that suggests they were playing 8+ hours per day. Spending more time on this game than on a full-time job.

Those people, predictably, got burned out. And many of them seem to have displaced the blame to the game's publisher/developer and the game itself rather than their own lifestyle choice.

I think it's reasonable to believe that *most* players are still progressing and it will be a few weeks before most of the population is doing VR stuff.
    Options
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fairly pointless thread in my opinion.

If the game was a couple of years old, they did a major update and lots of people notice their guild mates leaving, then yes something is going wrong.

But many people buy new mmos, try for a month or so (or with sub based games, try for the included first month) then decide its not the game for them. I have done that myself a couple of times.

Guilds created with a bunch of random players are always the ones that tend to have the biggest drop after the first month.

My guild is an established guild that has played numerous mmos, although I only joined shortly before ESO went live. Sure theres a handful of players that got talked into trying ESO or ones that joined the guild when ESO launched that after the first month decided the game wasn't for them.

Most of the guild are more than happy with it. I'm not saying we don't moan about some of the bugs (we laugh at a fair few too) , but I never ever see any talk about thinking of leaving, infact over the last week people have convinced 2 other guild members who were playing other mmos to purchase it.

Personally I dont think the current multiple guild system using some as trading guilds works. I have never joined one, neither had most of my guild. Those that have, tend to be active in them for a week or two but then are concentrating back on the main guild. They pop back after a week or two away and it appears most other people who joined the trading guild did the same, hence there's not much going on there.

My guild has two guilds, using the other just for its bank, and both banks are always nearly full with stacks of mats, motifs and blue/purple weapons, why would we bother with the effort to join a trade guild when mats are so readily available for free within our guild? We already restrict one guild bank to mats only and the other to only blue and above stuff and no more than 2 of any recipe due to the amount of stuff.

We are contemplating a 3rd bank just for research items, again never having more than two of the same thing and if you take it out and research it, you replace it when its done.

We havent used our guild store at all. If the guild store was open to all players we would use it to sell our duplicate stuff, at the moment I just npc it (and still made 20k in a few evenings after repairing and anything else I needed to buy.

I understand people like different things, but I honestly read some of these threads and wonder if I'm playing the same game. We are loving it, we are loving pvp, many of the quest lines in pve are draw droppingly impressive and immersive. The higher level I get, the more enjoyment I have had.

I log on and group with my guild, I log on and solo. Doesn't matter whether I'm on an alt or my V1 main, I see players everywhere, as many if not more than in any other mmo I have played. Sure its not like release, it isn't meant to be and is no different from any other mmo I've tried where you initially get 1000s of players under everyones feet for the first few weeks, then it thins out.

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion, but reading this forum lately, it sort of looks like many can't wait for it to fail.
    Edited by Ojustaboo on May 31, 2014 5:04PM
    Options
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭

People don't generally wait around for help on things they can solo.

And this was a thread about, player skill or their estimations of the number of players we have?

Yeah, you used this thread as an excuse to brag about your nerd gaming skill no one cares about and try cut others down. At least stick to threads about nerfs or difficulty of some kind for that.
    Options
  • DireKit
    DireKit
    ✭✭✭
    Gilandred wrote: »
    This community is the worst I've ever seen, and it's in part of players that make remarks at the end of every post they make just like you did.

Are you so socially *** that you cannot contribute to a thread w/o adding a insult to the end of it?

Wtf, man?

And how exactly does this thread contribute to anything? Does ZOS only know population numbers based on what someone says is happening to their guild or friend numbers? Please. This is another doom and gloom thread meant to cause controversy and/or sensationalism.

Maybe add a comment on what could help?
    Regardless, I didn't insult any players directly. That's what I'm talking about.

90% of the ppl in these forums click on a thread, don't even read the OP, type something which is usually completely irrelevant, and then adds some "macho-nerd" comment at the end of the post.

We're Martial Artists in real-life and definitely don't have trouble breathing, AND WE HAVE OUR OWN BLANKET. IT'S A HELLO KITTY BLANKET THAT'S PINK WITH KITTY WHITE ON IT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

779fdb3154b76a7ff0a3711980c891a1.png

Tsch.. Like We'd need our Mum's blanket. WE'LL HAVE YOU KNOW WE EVEN HAVE AN AWESOME GOOGLY EYED UNICORN. SO THERE! Yeah, what now?!

NOTHING, THAT'S WHAT!
    Options
  • class101
    class101
    ✭✭✭
    @bg22 I don't really care of your lack of having a populated guild
    Edited by class101 on May 31, 2014 5:03PM
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to disturb the hate party but my guilds are growing and I always see people from them online. But nice positive and constructive thread you have going here, kudos
    Options
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's on your guild, not ESO.

Zenimax is not responsible for the success or failure of your guild, only you and your fellow guildies are.
    Options
  • DireKit
    DireKit
    ✭✭✭
    Lynnessa wrote: »
    I have another suspicion.

A lot of people got to VR10 in the first month. I've seen people denying it, but that suggests they were playing 8+ hours per day. Spending more time on this game than on a full-time job.

Those people, predictably, got burned out. And many of them seem to have displaced the blame to the game's publisher/developer and the game itself rather than their own lifestyle choice.

I think it's reasonable to believe that *most* players are still progressing and it will be a few weeks before most of the population is doing VR stuff.

Some of us also have the attention spans of a hyperactive horse addled on crack cocaine and speed. So We tend to waAAHHHHGHH! SPIDERS! THE SPIDERAAREEVERYWHEERE!SFASFDAFDASFDASFPOK,ÖEF'¨ÖÖGERGÅE,RÖÅL,L,L,EAÖWEAWÄE
    Options
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guilds I am in are actually doing well. They've maintained about the same number of people online, and actively logging in that they've had since the one month sub ran out. Yes, some players left after launch, however that's expected with any new MMO.

The problem with making any population assumptions based on what you personally see is that it's anecdotal, no matter how many folks on the forum agree with you. My guild in FFXIV: ARR died out a month and a half into the game. I was literally lucky if I had 1 person on at the same time as me.. and that was out of over 300 people. My friends list was the same there. Many, many others reported the same findings on the forums. How all their guilds were dying, how the central hubs (which ESO seems to lack, save for a few banks, but even those are instanced so you can't see the total population there) had less people. FFXIV: ARR posted sub numbers after that.. worldwide they still had over 1 million active subscriptions..and the game is still going.

I'm not saying ESO is doing stellar, I'm not saying it's doing poorly. I'm saying trying to draw conclusions and create the sense things are negatively happening using personal experience and anecdotal evidence tends to be flawed. Every single launch forum I've been in has had people complain that the game is dying. Every single one has people saying it's the best ever (admittedly the best ever crowd tends to be few and far between, forums are overwhelmingly negative), that it's the worst community ever, that it's the buggiest launch ever, that it'll go F2P in a manner of months, that if things aren't fixed however many players will unsubscribe.

None of that is exclusive to ESO, and none of it actually tells a story of where the game is headed sub-wise. The only people that know that are the people who get info on active subs, and the number of people leaving. If Zeni sees people leaving, they're going to make changes to try and get people to stay. Whether those changes work, come too late, or whatever else have you, no one can really say as none of us have the capability to see into the future. The folks who are supporting this game though, kinda have jobs that entirely rely on players playing it.. so they're going to want at least enough people to stay to keep the thing from going under.

In the end I really wish more players on the forums would spend more time playing games that they actually enjoy rather than trying to bring down a game because they didn't enjoy it and therefore, in their mind, no one else should either.

There are some well thought out, and constructive criticisms in these forums.. they just seem to be lost a lot of the time in the hate that most people spew forth.
    Edited by Lalai on May 31, 2014 5:33PM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
    Options
  • Sandhya
    Sandhya
    ✭✭✭
    In my guild there has been movement towards WildStar so I also deem it plausible that a bunch of players have moved on, temporarily or not.

On the other hand, if you look at how the game is doing in the media and in reviews, it is ALSO extremely plausible that the draw of new players coming into the game is far lower than the number of players leaving. Consider yourself looking at ESO since launch and having digested the news around it. It really hasn't been positive. And has Craglorn really made a dent in this reputation? I think not. I, for one, don't find Craglorn to be that special and I hardly think players are vocal about it being a fantastic update. In addition, the update has NOT fixed many of the things players are already waiting over 5 weeks for. What is the light at the end of that insane levelling tunnel? I don't see it. Give me my carrot.

The last thing that is also very plausible is that the market for fresh, subbed MMO's has now grown larger with the launch of WildStar. Given the positive responses and the stark contrast to the responses to ESO, you can be sure that we've already seen the biggest influx of new players by now and it is dwindling fast.

From a personal standpoint, I dó feel less of an urge to login nowadays. The last week I've been logging for my research, horse feeding and hireling mail, then moved on to playing some DOTA. Yeah, really. I just couldn't get myself to 'grinding' even more questlines and even more skyshards. I feel, still, that key features and mechanics are off, the amount of viable class builds is extremely limited in end game (for a game that is all about total freedom, this is a BIG disappointment to me thus far) and one class is still severely broken. Critical updates take far too long to arrive. The battle against the botter also feels like too little, too late and stamps ZOS with the label of inexperienced and incompetent in that area.

Sum up the above and draw your own conclusions. They're all pretty logical I'd say. And I am also on a 180 day sub right now, so I think it's safe to say I have a lot of faith in this game. That faith has now turned to 'hoping for... in due time'.
    Edited by Sandhya on May 31, 2014 5:35PM
    Options
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a member of 4 large trading guilds. One isn't recruiting and doesn't have a website. It is shriveling. The other three are recruiting, have web pages, and are capped in members and vibrant. These things matter a lot more than the overall game population does.
    Options
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since ya'll have the bestestest guilds in ESO and they're all flurishing w/ ppl, what about Cyrodiil? I've not seen the Cyrodiil population capped in days. I used to be capped several times per day.
    Options
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohioastro wrote: »
    I am a member of 4 large trading guilds. One isn't recruiting and doesn't have a website. It is shriveling. The other three are recruiting, have web pages, and are capped in members and vibrant. These things matter a lot more than the overall game population does.

I can agree and disagree with this. The guilds that recruit though still lose members that have quit but you cant tell by the roster cause they fill with new members needing a trading guild. A guild that doesn't recruit is more accurate because it shows how many players that are still on the roster that have actually quit the game or stopped playing. The recruiting guilds would kick those players and replace them showing the illusion that nobody has quit the game in their guild which is completely false. My main guild not trading guild is now down to around 20% of members now in the guild roster that log in and 1 of those recently joined. 4 out of 19 play and from the original members its only 3 out of 18 that are still showing their name on the roster so they didn't quit the guild, they quit the game.
    Edited by flguy147ub17_ESO on May 31, 2014 5:37PM
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since ya'll have the bestestest guilds in ESO and they're all flurishing w/ ppl, what about Cyrodiil? I've not seen the Cyrodiil population capped in days. I used to be capped several times per day.

And? I don't understand why you are always starting these doom and gloom threads. What's the point? What the utility? Flame baiting? Because I can't see any other
    Options