The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Launcher never getting past the loading stage...

Quelude
Quelude
So today i bought the digital copy of ESO for Mac. After downloading the 109.6MB installer and then installing the Zenimax folder into my Applications I tried launching the game. This was unsuccessful and the game just loaded for an excessive period of time, it then gave me the error "abort pointer is null" which I'm pretty sure is related to patching. I tried the suggested solution given out by the staff of ESO where you change the proxy setting in your Network preferences which did not work.

I then tried
"Response By Email (Christopher) (04/21/2014 03:08 AM)
Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

You can attempt to verify and repair Disk Permissions using the Mac OS X Disk Utility tool. In Mac versions 10.6 and later, this can be done without needing to reboot from a different volume. To do this, go into spotlight and type in "Disk Utility" or navigate to the following directory tree:

\Macintosh HD\Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility.

Once the Disk Utility app is open, click on the appropriate hard drive in the left panel. Then click the "Verify" button in the upper left (it has an image of a microscope". This will start the verification process. Any errors during this part will be displayed in the center box.
After the scan completes, click the Repair disk permissions button and allow the Disk Utility to finish its repairs. After this process completes, go ahead and try running the Launcher again and see if the error goes away."

Nothing has worked, I would really like some help to get started as I don't want this to result in a refund :( Also, I'm not very knowledgable in regards to computers so please try to dumb down your solutions if you have any, thank you!
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you confirm what OS X version you have please? Also general system details like Model etc. which will help provide more feedback;

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

usually the proxy change will fix that error so maybe worth double checking it. If not then there are some other network related things to try.
  • jessica.hopkinsb16_ESO
    I'm having the same issue, except it just started doing it randomly today. it's been working fine for the past week. The first time I open the launcher it says loading, if i click on the launcher I get the rainbow wheel and I have to force quit. Every time I try to open it after it opens but it's just blank and it freezes like that. I've tried changing the UserSettings.txt and I did the proxy thing when I first started playing the game... Not sure what has changed.
  • Quelude
    Quelude
    Here is my system information:
    Macbook Pro

15-inch, Mid 2012

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Serial Number C02JQ595DV33

Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue, except it just started doing it randomly today. it's been working fine for the past week. The first time I open the launcher it says loading, if i click on the launcher I get the rainbow wheel and I have to force quit. Every time I try to open it after it opens but it's just blank and it freezes like that. I've tried changing the UserSettings.txt and I did the proxy thing when I first started playing the game... Not sure what has changed.
    Did you go back and try the proxy change again? Maybe worth trying again.

These are general network issue things to try. Go through it one at a time. I suggest the last first as it was what normally resolved that error issue;

Network Issues

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quelude wrote: »
    Here is my system information:
    Macbook Pro

15-inch, Mid 2012

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Serial Number C02JQ595DV33

Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
    OK, the OS X version is fine so please try the things posted above.

There was an issue with some bad patch server addresses but that was supposed to have been resolved. Maybe clearing the DNS cache etc. can help.
  • Quelude
    Quelude
    Thanks Moonraker, I did the last one and it got me to the install stage. So hopefully smooth sailing from here :D
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Moonraker, I did the last one and it got me to the install stage. So hopefully smooth sailing from here :D
    Glad it helped :) Hope it goes well. If you have any more questions post them here.
  • Quelude
    Quelude
    Now I'm having trouble with my game code, I try and log in and i get an error saying its incorrect. :'(
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm having trouble with my game code, I try and log in and i get an error saying its incorrect. :'(
    Please post the exact error message and number if there is one, to help know what can help.

If you have double checked the code entered is accurate and you still get the error then it's best to contact Customer Support direct.

If the code was entered and accepted then you will still get a message requesting you enter a security code the first time you login (sent via email to your registered email address). This should arrive via email and you enter this to proceed.
  • haamfish
    haamfish
    ✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Did you go back and try the proxy change again? Maybe worth trying again.

These are general network issue things to try. Go through it one at a time. I suggest the last first as it was what normally resolved that error issue;

Network Issues

Reset the DNS Cache

Step 1: Open the Terminal

Navigate to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

Step 2: Flush DNS - Type the following command and hit enter.

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks): dscacheutil -flushcache;sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Mac OSX 10.7 & 10.8 (Lions) : sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

Press Return and enter password at prompt. Then try. or reboot then try.

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Reset DNCP lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

Uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery

- Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    - Open up Network in System Preferences. (Usually located in the third row, third icon.)
    - Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    - Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner
    - From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    - In the "Select a protocol to configure" list
    - Uncheck "Auto Proxy Discovery”

I tried all this, didnt make any difference. it opened for me ONCE but i had to reboot to do something in windows and now it wont open again and i dont know what i did for it to work in the first place :(
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    haamfish wrote: »

I tried all this, didnt make any difference. it opened for me ONCE but i had to reboot to do something in windows and now it wont open again and i dont know what i did for it to work in the first place :(
    So, has it ever worked for you? Have you installed and played the game and now it's not or never worked except once?

Hard to say with no details. Please confirm OS X version.

Edited by Moonraker on April 25, 2014 1:21PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Hecubusprimeb14_ESO Cross posting the same post to different threads wont help to get help really.

You will probably get more response in the PC Technical Support section as you appear to be using a PC and the issue may be different. This is the Mac Technical Support section.
  • maesterfinch
    maesterfinch
    Soul Shriven
    My iMac was running EOS fine for a couple weeks and all of a sudden this past week crashes after selecting my character to load (I can load my profile fine). Sometimes I get a pop up box that instructs me to execute a hard reboot in muliple languages. Sometimes it just freezes after the screen starts to become compromised (flickers, browns out, etc.). I can post the report later today, but has anyone seen and corrected this?

Running OS10.7.5
    2.8 Core 2 Duo, NVidia GEForce 8800 GS 512MB
    Edited by maesterfinch on May 31, 2014 4:32AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My iMac was running EOS fine for a couple weeks and all of a sudden this past week crashes after selecting my character to load (I can load my profile fine). Sometimes I get a pop up box that instructs me to execute a hard reboot in muliple languages. Sometimes it just freezes after the screen starts to become compromised (flickers, browns out, etc.). I can post the report later today, but has anyone seen and corrected this?

Running OS10.7.5
    2.8 Core 2 Duo, NVidia GEForce 8800 GS 512MB
    You are getting Kernel Panics which is most unlikely to be caused by the game. Much more likely an issue with the Mac, probably the graphics card malfunctioning (perhaps heat or hardware fault).

Check that page for this part including checking Hardware Check;

Troubleshooting a recurring kernel panic